Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Greetings fellow ex pats!

Sick of paying through the nose for your God Given Right to eat all your favorite foods from home?

Me too!

Well, I've got just what you're looking for at the newly opened Cheap Charlie's mini-market on Soi Deng Dam, off 3rd road. We're right opposite the Eden & Caddyshack Bars, so you can't miss us.

My company is Tropical Foods, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with as all our foods are currently available, 'at RIDICULOUSLY HIGH prices', in Friendship & Foodmart supermarkets.

Here's the plan...

I'm going to supply all your favorite foods at RIDICULOUSLY LOW prices. This will include all our home cooked products, of which there are now 50+, all the well known brand named goods, deli products, fresh baked breads and much, much more, and all at low, low prices. GUARANTEED!

Here's a few examples of how much you can save on supermarket prices at Cheap Charlie's:

Fresh baked pies, pasties & sausage rolls – all 55B. Savings = 10-20B

Fruit pies & deserts – 45B. Savings = 20-30B

Cake slices – 55B. Savings 10-40B

All our microwave Man Sized Meals. Honey ribs, Mexican & Italian, etc, etc – 85-110B. Savings = 50-70B

Anglo/Indian curries -110B. Savings = 60B

The list goes on!

So, why pay more for less, when you can pay less for more at cheap Charlie's?

Your patronage and support will be greatly appreciated, and well reciprocated in our prices.

(Attention Bar & Guest House owners with limited staff & cooking facilities.)

Call Jon on 0800-959366 and let me show you how YOU can provide a great selection of cooked meals to YOUR customers, with only a microwave and small freezer.

DIRECTIONS

Go down south Pattaya road and turn left onto soi Tony or should I say 3rd road! Carry on to the traffic lights, turn left onto soi 17 and continue up 500yds. Bear right at the Lion Bar and continue round the bend 200yds until you see the Eden Pub on the left, which used to be the old Harley bar. I'm right opposite. Please excuse me if I'm a few yards out here and there!

Any chance of posting your hours of business?

I sometimes go around there but generally in the evenings and would like to take a look around.

Edited by jacko
Any chance of posting your hours of business?

I sometimes go around there but generally in the evenings and would like to take a look around.

Thanks for the support guys, we're open from 8-6 Monday to Saturday. We'll be extending this when we get the restaurant open outside.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I told a friend about Cheap Charlie's and he went today. Good selection of stuff and good prices but the Thai assistant had trouble locating the items in the freezers he was asking for.

He wanted some bacon but she looked in 2 freezers and could not find any and was going to give up, then my friend noticed the freezers were labelled something like fruit, pies and meat, and suggested she look in the one labelled "meat". Bingo !!!

But for his persistance and a bit of Thai, a sale could have been lost, and he would probably never to return.

He wasn't blaming the girl, but an ability to read English and possibly more TRAINING by the owner might be in order.

I told a friend about Cheap Charlie's and he went today. Good selection of stuff and good prices but the Thai assistant had trouble locating the items in the freezers he was asking for.

He wanted some bacon but she looked in 2 freezers and could not find any and was going to give up, then my friend noticed the freezers were labelled something like fruit, pies and meat, and suggested she look in the one labelled "meat". Bingo !!!

But for his persistance and a bit of Thai, a sale could have been lost, and he would probably never to return.

He wasn't blaming the girl, but an ability to read English and possibly more TRAINING by the owner might be in order.

If anyone lacks this much patients, Thailand isn't for you.

Mostly true, but it won't get better without some complaint. This guy has an opportunity to correct a problem.

I do notice here that Thais have no respect for your time and there is always some little problem.

I walked out of Homeworks recently after having 45 minutes of my time wasted being passed from dope to dolt! :banghead

There are other shops these days and if they want to compete, up to them.

Edited by jacko

I don't think its a matter of patients(sic), if the Thai assistant could not find the food he requested he would have left the shop empty handed. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough - she (the Thai assistant) had looked in 2 freezers and could not find the bacon, she was NOT going to look any further.

BTW my mates' been in Thailand 7 yrs so is used to dealing with locals in most situations.

My original post was more to the owner - don't spoil a good concept by leaving under trained staff in charge. There is a desperate need for an outlet providing good value "western" foods and I hope Cheap Charlie's is a success.

Edited by ingo67

Don't know what the fuss is about. The guy went to the place and wasn't able to find nor get the Thai staff to find what he wanted. Now, if he had left, without trying the last fridge or whatever, then he would assume that this outlet did not have what he wanted and drive off the Foodmart or wherever to get it. He would then have no reason to ever go back to CC.

Big signs, some English into Thai and vice versa translation card, laminated, for the staff with pictures preferably and a phone number for the western owner who can be contacted if the staff cannot resolve the issue.

• 5 weeks later...

My Observation John.

I went to the shop opp the Eden bar and bought a chicken Tikka portion 110baht, and a portion of rice 50baht and a nan bread 30 baht all frozen.

OK gets to my microwave and a fair portion and tasty, no complaints re the food, a little more chicken maybe but tasty but I think 190 baht is a little over the top.

I often go to a couple of curry places in town and pay less for the same cooked and served to me.