Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did find it somewhat ironic though, that you have to go to the men's game to find players rolling around on the deck like "big girls" after any kind of tackle; yet the real girls don't do it!

Lampard's goal not being given in 2010 in South Africa, when England played Germany, was the greatest injustice in football since England won the World Cup in 1966 thanks to a goal given against Germa

Carli Lloyd leads U.S. to Women's World Cup title in 5-2 win over Japan. She scored three goals.

Surely the 2020 appointment, of a country. where it is too hot to stay in the summer, does not allow supporters to drink alcohol, was considered a high risk venue by FIFA, due to the heat for players and spectators, is an indication that perhaps the decisions were not made on merit alone.

It was good enough for England to go and play Brazil there last year - and for Brazil and Argentina to play there two weeks ago. :chogdee

It was good enough for England to go and play Brazil there last year - and for Brazil and Argentina to play there two weeks ago. :thumbup

Did they play in July ? Two weeks ago is hardly high summer is it ?

Could be feedback from the players at those games, that gave FIFA the idea playing in 42c will be hazardous to players and spectators ? :chogdee

Edit to add'

What next ? Camel racing at Royal Ascot ?

Edited by nidnoyham
Did they play in July ? Two weeks ago is hardly high summer is it ?

Could be feedback from the players at those games, that gave FIFA the idea playing in 42c will be hazardous to players and spectators ? :thumbup

The stadia and training facilities will be air conditioned to 27C.

The stadia and training facilities will be air conditioned to 27C.

And When you are not in the Stadia ? Training facilities for every team at an A/C stadium ?

Don't the locals try to avoid the place in the summer ?

Would you go to the World cup there Tom ?

No booze etc, what will you do between games ? Sit by the pool with a coke ? Run from hotel to Taxi, to stadia..... ?

I will be attending proper football tomorrow, long combs, woolly hat, flask of hot OXO...... two hours of 0c, but we are a hardy lot us Brits.

Those Americans have got the right idea- have your Word Series at home every year. :thumbup

And When you are not in the Stadia ? Training facilities for every team at an A/C stadium ?

If that's what it takes, that's what they'll build.

Don't the locals try to avoid the place in the summer ?

They move from one air-conditioned place to the next. Or go ice skating.

Would you go to the World cup there Tom ?

No problem at all. On the other hand, ...... Milton Keynes???

No booze etc, what will you do between games ? Sit by the pool with a coke ? Run from hotel to Taxi, to stadia..... ?

Who told you there was no booze? Besides, it won't be unrealistic to stay in Bahrain and travel to the games from there - they'll no doubt build the linking bridge before 2022.

What's all this crap about not being to play in heat or rain or snow? In case you forgoten , its called the World Cup ; NOT 'PLAYING IN COMFORTABLE CONDIOTIONS FOR CRYBABY PROS' CUP!

So what if its in 100C heat , its a condition in one part of the world and its a tournement where teams from all corners of the earth take part.

Personally I think its a good decision taking the cup to places its never been. Looking at the trend of the last few awards to 1st timers , I wondered why USA , England , Korea and Japan even bothered.

Maybe we'll even see football change in Qatar. Football doesnt = booze. Althought it would be nice to drink at a game , I rather have a booze free stadium than drunk up fans tearing seats if their team lose. Let the boozers stay home and wreck their own tvs.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk
What's all this crap about not being to play in heat or rain or snow? In case you forgoten , its called the World Cup ; NOT 'PLAYING IN COMFORTABLE CONDIOTIONS FOR CRYBABY PROS' CUP!

So what if its in 100C heat , its a condition in one part of the world and its a tournement where teams from all corners of the earth take part.

Personally I think its a good decision taking the cup to places its never been. Looking at the trend of the last few awards to 1st timers , I wondered why USA , England , Korea and Japan even bothered.

Maybe we'll even see football change in Qatar. Football doesnt = booze. Althought it would be nice to drink at a game , I rather have a booze free stadium than drunk up fans tearing seats if their team lose. Let the boozers stay home and wreck their own tvs.

I assume you are American ?

It's one thing to have the same for every one, but extreme heat can kill. FIFA themselves pointed that problem out when considering Qatar's offer, even if it was to up the anti on the backhander from the Arabs.

Yes teams from all corners of the world compete, but it about the best footballers, not those who are used to the heat. African teams didn't do too well in Africa, this summer. Other teams can adjust to altitude and adverse conditions.... What next Winter Olympics in the Shara ? Tennis on the Polar Ice caps, so the Eskimos have a chance ? :chogdee

Don't forget it is a football competition, not a pissing contest between countries to hold it, which is what FIFA have turned it into. The decision should have been on facilities already built, not on predicted ones. Russia has gone into a bit of a depression due to the recent drop in energy prices... They have little facilities for tourists, shit internal airline and the place is huge. The cost to the fans attending the games will be enormous, bur when did FIFA ever worry about them ?

It was 'The World Cup'. Now it is 'The FIFA World Cup', for sale to the highest bidder.

If you have watched previous World Cups, you will not see more traveling supporters than the English, even at non English games, the St George flag has flown on many occasion.

Yes it's good to try different places and I am sure they will put on a good show for the event. It is not the countries I am criticizing, it is the method of choosing those countries that is wrong.

We were done up like a kipper, because FIFA is so corrupt, it didn't want to hold the competition in a country with an inquiring media. They shoot journalists in Russia- that suits FIFA down to the ground .

i wonder who the delegate from thailand voted for,and will the friendly with england in june still take place.

England have already announced their intention to pull out of that friendly fixture. Shame !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...bid-defeat.html

Edited by N3RGT
England have already announced their intention to pull out of that friendly fixture. Shame !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...bid-defeat.html

Perhaps they thought it might be too hot to play in June. :crying:

They couldn't suspect a Thai official of taking a bribe..... :thumbup

It's one thing to have the same for every one, but extreme heat can kill. FIFA themselves pointed that problem out when considering Qatar's offer, even if it was to up the anti on the backhander from the Arabs.

Why are you fixated on this old, old news? Qatar and FIFA have announced that all games will be played at 27 degrees. You might as well be complaining about the injustice of laces on the leather balls.

No I am not american. I agree with you on some points like its a money world cup and the selection method but I think its gone to the correct countries.

I think the 4 yearly world cup is just a money spinning event. Its like an event to find out who peaks at the right time in four years!

I would like to see it replaced by a 4 year league with countries playing home and away. :crying:

I assume you are American ?

Who knows what they will do during/after the Qatar WC to combat the heat? Personal juice boxes? Years ago , players werent allowed to drink water while playing. All that changed after the Mexican world cup so you know FIFA ; money devils that they are , wont want any player to die from heat exhuastion.

Yes teams from all corners of the world compete, but it about the best footballers, not those who are used to the heat. African teams didn't do too well in Africa, this summer. Other teams can adjust to altitude and adverse conditions.... What next Winter Olympics in the Shara ? Tennis on the Polar Ice caps, so the Eskimos have a chance ? :thumbup

WINTER stands for cold weather. Tennis have their clay and grass courts. There is no mention in the FIFA rule book of the temp , humidity etc. (Although A class internationals matches cannot be played above a certain altitude) Top players are so called top players because they play in their comfort zone.

If you have watched previous World Cups, you will not see more traveling supporters than the English, even at non English games, the St George flag has flown on many occasion.

On English trravelling supportors . thats exactly my point. The world cup has been played for many years in euro/americas rotating holding it. With the raise of asia , many aisans would travel for the world cup. Can they be the next 'english supportors'? Does the world have to depend on th english to fill up stadiums for the rest of eternity?

The current best supportors are no doubt the Japanese. Even if their team is down 3 goals , they'll still cheer for their teams ; as seen in today's game between Uwara and Kobe.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk
I would like to see it replaced by a 4 year league with countries playing home and away. D

That's pretty much what it is. The "league" is known as qualification. Matches (games) begin in 2011, just as you'd want, home and away and round robin and all. After the "league" part, the best 32 teams go to the finals.

Who knows what they will do during/after the Qatar WC to combat the heat?

Me. Plus everyone who wants to. It's up ^^^^ there in this thread, even. They're going to air condition the stadia (stadiums).

Yes of course it was the BBC that turned the tide. Russia never had a chance until the BBC torpedoed Britain and the whole world turned against the British for the World Cup.

Do you really believe that codswallop?

It happened for the Eurovision song contest....... :whistling:
I agree with you on some points like its a money world cup and the selection method but I think its gone to the correct countries.

Finish this sentence for me.

I think Qatar is the better choice for the 2020 W.Cup, over USA, Japan, Australia and S Korea because...........

Ditto Russia.........

WINTER stands for cold weather.

Yes and July would be mid winter in Australia. who wants to watch football in mid winter ?

On English trravelling supportors . thats exactly my point. The world cup has been played for many years in euro/americas rotating holding it. With the raise of asia , many aisans would travel for the world cup. Can they be the next 'english supportors'? Does the world have to depend on th english to fill up stadiums for the rest of eternity?

This could possibly due to Euro/Americas being where football is most popular- Qatar has never played in a W. Cup, because they are not a "Footballing Nation" they will in 2020 as host team. The one thing they can't buy is talent, if it isn't already there.

The current best supportors are no doubt the Japanese. Even if their team is down 3 goals , they'll still cheer for their teams ; as seen in today's game between Uwara and Kobe.

Japan was host in 2002 and no doubt that helped bring the game to the millions who live there. I am all for promoting the game in new areas of the world, where it can become established as a popular sport.

This is why I am disappointed the USA and Australia, who have two very good National squads, that could have got the home population behind them, were not chosen. When the home team get knocked out, it does take the fun out of it a bit. :whistling:

Basically, the FIFA Council, traveling the world inspecting stadia, transport systems, tourist accomadation and training facilities, is a huge waste of time, when they award the event to countries that have none of them in place. May as well take the cup the Southerbys and start the bidding.......

It will be interesting to see how the authorities in the countries deal with asshole supporters.

The followers of International football are more your Barmy Army, than hoodlums.

Unless those cameramen are too busy looking for fit women, than trouble makers ! :thumbup

Fans with 'old scores' to settle will be the most likely to kick off with each other.

That's the English and just about everyone. :unsure:

That's pretty much what it is. The "league" is known as qualification. Matches (games) begin in 2011, just as you'd want, home and away and round robin and all. After the "league" part, the best 32 teams go to the finals.

Yeah but the winner of current world cups are always teams that peak during the 4th year cycle in July not a consistent team in 4 years. It would be great to watch for example Thailand v Brazil (in bangkok) in a competitive game where Brazil needs a 6-7 goal swing to climb 2 spots etc. :chogdee

Me. Plus everyone who wants to. It's up ^^^^ there in this thread, even. They're going to air condition the stadia (stadiums).

I'm sure it wont be the only innovation idea to come out. Maybe water soaked jerseys before start of play? Water stations around the pitch? Some hovering robot to squirt water on any player during break of play? :clueless

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Qatar has bought the rights from FIFA for the 2022 World cup, it didnt take a month for rumors that the country may not build these state of the art stadiums they proposed to FIFA. Players and even some people of Qatar say the games should be scheduled for winter as the use of so much energy would tax their land not to mention player getting from one place to another. Qatar hosting the WC would be like A world basketball championship being hosted by...Qatar. :thumbup

WHO the FUCK is FIFA? Have they so much power that the teams of the world cant sack them? Why not create a new organizing body? One with checks and balances and where the public has the rights to sit in on decisions made. We hosted in 1994. In world cup time, that is very recent. But from some of these countries that bleed soccer/football like England and the Netherlands, it a disgraced the world cup will not be hosted by either for atleast the next 12 years. Has Holland ever hosted, WTF??

Now that Qatar has bought the rights from FIFA for the 2022 World cup, it didnt take a month for rumors that the country may not build these state of the art stadiums they proposed to FIFA. Players and even some people of Qatar say the games should be scheduled for winter as the use of so much energy would tax their land not to mention player getting from one place to another. Qatar hosting the WC would be like A world basketball championship being hosted by...Qatar. :thumbup

WHO the FUCK is FIFA? Have they so much power that the teams of the world cant sack them? Why not create a new organizing body? One with checks and balances and where the public has the rights to sit in on decisions made. We hosted in 1994. In world cup time, that is very recent. But from some of these countries that bleed soccer/football like England and the Netherlands, it a disgraced the world cup will not be hosted by either for atleast the next 12 years. Has Holland ever hosted, WTF??

FIFA, IOC, F1 = same problem

Well Qatar does advertise it's airline on the roof of Brentford's stadium.

I would suggest, it is more to do with our stadium being under the flight path to Heathrow, than their love of football. :D

Tom is pedantic about the place, 'cos he like their airline and Scotland wont get the W.C anyway. :thumbup

Tom is pedantic about the place, 'cos he like their airline and Scotland wont get the W.C anyway. :whistling:

Not at all. I worked on the Asian Games there in 2006, so I'm fully aware of the extent they will go to in order to make the thing a success. The bottom line is that they'll bring in the best football/sports people to organise the thing for them - just as they did with their bid - they had Zinedine Zidane, Ronald De Boer, Pep Guardiola, Roger Milla and Gabriel Batistuta promoting their bid. England had David Beckham. Did you know Qatar's bid team was led by an Englishman? :clueless

You're probably right about Scotland though. :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom