Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

"Party Time" Plus: "Bohemian Rhapsody"

I have wanted to make a music video, ever since I bought a camcorder a couple of years ago. A Sony TG3. It's a great little HD Camcorder, but it has it's limitations… it's useless in low light conditions. Especially VARIABLE low light conditions. So, when finances allowed, and after much research, I bought a Panasonic HMC150. Bloody hell! I thought I'd never be able to get the hang of it. It's got almost more combinations of functions than I have in any computer software I possess.

FLB Bar took on a new Band some time back, 'Rhythm Tracks.' (A big improvement on the 'Ugly Bros.") As a long standing customer of FLB (Ten years) I got the OK from the powers that be, to make a Video of the Band with my new toy.

I was in luck! I was due to arrive in Pattaya on the Day of a Party in the Bar. 19th November. It would give me a chance to take a few experimental shots and to get some atmospheric crowd clips. It couldn't have been better. ( I thought.) How was I to know that it would be the busiest, biggest, Party the Bar has ever had. By around 10.00pm you couldn't get into the Bar. (No exaggeration.) It was impossible to move around the bar by then, without getting pushed about and elbowed, and no chance of getting any usable video shots. It eventually got so busy that 'Frosty' had to stand on the stage to get many of his pics.

I gave up when I went back to the counter in the corner, where I'd left some of my video gear and drinks. It was three deep in bodies, all trying to get served. Trying to get through the barrier of bodies to retrieve my gear, was a challenge. At around 11.00pm I called time on my attempt to get any reasonable footage. The first Video clip below, shows a little of how it was that night, but at it's peak I couldn't do any filming. I usually make a point of introducing myself to the Sponsor(s) of an FLB Party, and buying them a drink. That was impossible on this occasion, and as a consequence, I don't know who the Sponsors were. Sorry.

Below is a short compilation of usable Video clips from the Party.

However, during the following seven to ten days I got some decent footage, with the considerable help of 'Frosty' and maximum co-operation from the band. If you were in the Bar during that time, and saw a nurd with a Video Camera, it was me.

Rhythm Tracks - Bohemian Rhapsody.

This project was way above my level of expertise. Both in the filming and editing. I started the edit process during the first week in December, and have recently finished the 10th Edit Version. I've lost count of how many hours it's taken to get this far, and I started with the most complex of all the Tracks I filmed… "Bohemian Rhapsody.' The Band will never be able to replicate the original track by Queen, but they do a really competent job of it. There are not many Bands that would even attempt it.

I would like to have had another recording session with the Band as I was in desperate need of usable close-ups during the edit. However, I hope you enjoy it. If not… sorry. It's the best I can do at this stage.

View other Videos like this. Click here!

Edited by Barrief
Barrief, superb editing and great camera footage there. :thumbup

Thanks Martin. Hope you liked the improvements you suggested. Especially the Sound track stuff. Your feedback was a great help.

Wow....I really enjoyed that Barrief....thanks, much appreciated!

I was there that night and it was awesome.

One of the best things about Pattaya (IMHO) is the choice of 'live bands' that are available at no cost. Here is Australia....you would be paying money to see bands that are no better than Rhythm Tracks...and quite often not as good.

While all the girls are lovely....my main interest in FLB is to see and listen to Rhythm Tracks.....and have a few dances. Its such a shame I end up so pissed!

Thanks again Barrief.....an excellent job!

Thanks for that Barrief. Great video as always from you.

I have long been a fan of "Rhythm Tracks" and have often requested this song when on my visits to LOS and FLB bar.

Bohemian Rhapsody is probably one of the most difficult songs for a live band to replicate, and for the greater part they do a really very respectable job of it. As one earlier poster remarked, not too many bands would even attempt this in public.

The vocal range in this song for the lead singer is huge, and Dante does an excellent job as does Dhagz on keyboard emulating the Brian May guitar solos.BRILLIANT .

I was disappointed when Bart the lead guitarist "extraordinaire" departed last Spring, but as much as I guess he will be missed by all, they have managed to fill the gap he left.

The four/five part harmonies at the beginning of this song really put the stamp on how the performance is going to fare, and from what I can hear on this video they have definitely improved the harmony "tightness" from when I last visited in Jan/Feb 2010.

Can't praise these people enough; J.R really is Mr Cool and such a competent bass player, and the lovely girls, Myra and Ryza, well they just work so well together fronting the band. All really nice people ! :grin-jump

A great asset to FLB and I'll certainly be buying them more drinks next visit. :chogdee

Edited by N3RGT

Excellent video. Good job. :thumbup

• Downvote 2
Barrief, superb editing and great camera footage there. :thumbup

Seconded really brilliant work,BUT, the rendering of Bohemian Rhapsody I'm sorry IMHO was nothing short of painful! Great camera work though, THANKS! :thumbup :grin :bow

Wow, I loved the Pattaya Bay intro. The camera angles you set up for the song were totally professional, the editing cuts were great.

Terrific production. Great production value instincts. You already state the areas you feel are your shortcomings -- and most of those are technology and hardware. Not everyone can have big $$ figure production budgets.

You put out great stuff with your equipment and hard work. I loved it. It's been obvious you have had a love and real instinct for video shoots and production over the years (I have seen some of your stuff that you posted here over the last couple years) and you continue to impress and improve.

And you pick great subject matter. Love the song, love the band. It is a really enjoyable video.

Thanks, Barrief.