Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hotel with elevator and hot tub

It's the bath that the English keep their coal in, from memory.

Ater we burn the coal we get to keep the Ashes.

That's really generous of you to come up with that interpretation.

Do me a favour and google "hot tub". Let us know what you see in the results, will you?

All we have here is the words as written, so there is very little room for mind reading.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hot+tub

A very large tub made of ceramic, acrylic, wood, or another substance and filled with hot water in which one or more bathers may soak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_tub

A hot tub is a large tub or small pool full of heated water and used for soaking, relaxation, massage, or hydrotherapy. In most cases, they have jets for massage purposes. Hot tubs are usually located outdoors, and are often sheltered for protection from the elements, as well as for privacy. Other variants in naming include "Spa", and the trade name "Jacuzzi". These variants can be used to mean an indoor fixture, but a "Hot Tub" is almost always outdoors.
  • Upvote 1

I know the OP is not entirely clear but FWIW I read it to mean that BigD needs a hotel with an elevator and a room in which there is a large bath (to accommodate his portly frame, rather than one more intended for a Thai!) with hot water.

Would you characterize either of the definitions you gave as simply "a large bath"? banghead.gif

Would you characterize either of the definitions you gave as simply "a large bath"? banghead.gif

Yes - the first one:

"A very large tub made of ceramic, acrylic, wood, or another substance and filled with hot water in which one or more bathers may soak."

"Bath", bathtub" and "tub" are interchangeable words, but I think most people would refer to a very large bath as a tub.

Yes - the first one:

"A very large tub made of ceramic, acrylic, wood, or another substance and filled with hot water in which one or more bathers may soak."

"Bath", bathtub" and "tub" are interchangeable words, but I think most people would refer to a very large bath as a tub.

Ok, you win.

Can't believe BIGD has posted an accommodation question and we are on post number 32 and a certain guest house on second road has not been mentioned yet !!!!! Ops !!! :whistling: :whistling:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nope, I would call it a large bath or jacuzzi. A tub is what ma washed the clothes in.

Nope, I would call it a large bath or jacuzzi. A tub is what ma washed the clothes in.

Regionalisms, ain't they great?

Way I learned the nouns as a tyke was bath was the room, and bath was what you took if you had a bathtub in the bath.

A bathtub was where you took a bath in the bathroom if you wanted to avoid confusion. A tub could be several things -- but a tub in the bath was a bathtub. Mom also washed clothes in a tub but she usually washed in a washtub, to avoid confusion. And Friday and Saturday nights we got music out of the (upturned bass) tub, too.

Later, I learnt that a Jacuzzi has to have jets, that's a given. And it's not a "hot tub" unless it's outside the main house area (could be a covered verandah, say, in cold places.) If it's a big tub in the living room, darned if I know -- a big tub I guess.

Next on PattayaTalk - do you drink soda or pop -- or ...???? And then: Top of your cake - is it icing or frosting?

Edited by joekicker

Can't believe BIGD has posted an accommodation question and we are on post number 32 and a certain guest house on second road has not been mentioned yet !!!!! Ops !!! :whistling: :whistling:

I've posted more then a fair number of accommodation responses where I never mention Sky-Top. :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regionalisms, ain't they great?

Way I learned the nouns as a tyke was bath was the room, and bath was what you took if you had a bathtub in the bath.

A bathtub was where you took a bath in the bathroom if you wanted to avoid confusion. A tub could be several things -- but a tub in the bath was a bathtub. Mom also washed clothes in a tub but she usually washed in a washtub, to avoid confusion. And Friday and Saturday nights we got music out of the (upturned bass) tub, too.

Later, I learnt that a Jacuzzi has to have jets, that's a given. And it's not a "hot tub" unless it's outside the main house area (could be a covered verandah, say, in cold places.) If it's a big tub in the living room, darned if I know -- a big tub I guess.

Next on PattayaTalk - do you drink soda or pop -- or ...???? And then: Top of your cake - is it icing or frosting?

You had a separate room that you used to take a bath..... spoiled rotten?

My ma used to take a big tin bath down and set it up on the kitchen floor, can't remember where the damned thing was when not in use, must have been in the back yard next to the coal shed, ex air-raid shelter.

And I have come across 'hot tubs' in basements, which would be inside the main house area, that was USA too. Cold northern areas. (well cold in winter).

Actually the tub for ma to do the washing in was a dolly tub.

dolly.jpg

That isn't ma by the way, it's the TGF. She's different.

Edited by jacko