Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Renewing Vehicle registration/tax

My vehicle registration/tax is due so I went off to get it done at the registration place and came across a new issue that may affect other BMs. The compulsory (CTPL) insurance you have must have 10 months validity remaining to get the new registration.

Not the case for me as all the insurance comes up in December, the registration early August. (I bought a used vehicle).

I remember I deliberately threw away 4 months CTPL insurance so that I could renew it at thee same time as my '1st Class' compehensive policy. It seemed sensible to have both with the same company and same validity. A rule change at the registration place now forces me to buy CTPL again. :banghead

Edited by jacko

Talk with your insurance man. I never do those things myself, actually, I would have no idea how to do them. My insurance man takes care of everything. There are fixers all over Thailand, most of the vehicle checking stations will do it for you too.

Talk with your insurance man. I never do those things myself, actually, I would have no idea how to do them. My insurance man takes care of everything. There are fixers all over Thailand, most of the vehicle checking stations will do it for you too.

I live near the registration centre and the TGF does it in minutes, well normally when there aren't changes in the rules!

It can be done in the BigC here on Saturday morning... the South one on Sukhumvit.

I don't like involving 3rd parties.

Just got an extension on the CTPL insurance today, has a fancy silver edge to it now to reduce fakes I suppose.

Edited by jacko
  • 7 years later...

Just a new wrinkle.......I think it's been the practice for nearly a year, though I don't recall it being done last time I went for the MOT.

They now check, for want of a better description the 'clarity' of your main head lights.

On old cars, perhaps due to the relentless sun, the lense-covers slowly cloud over...Going from clear and bright to a murky yellow 'cataract'......

Because I had a knock on one side a few years ago I noticed the other one was much duller and so from an aesthetic point of view I'd got it cleaned.

I'm sure this procedure is done all over but I went to clean my car at the gas station next to Tesco on Outlet Mall near Teprasit.

They quoted 400 baht or 600 for both. ....I thought that was a bit steep but the guy promised when done it would look exactly the same as the 'new' one

I thought they'd just give it a buff up.....But they prep' all round the light and bodywork with tape....Rubbed it down with fine sand-paper.....And then magically went over without actually touching the head-lamp with some gizmo..... 'blowing away' the years and revealing a brand new headlight. Aesthetically a perfect match for my recently replaced one.

More importantly it easily passed whatever test the MOT people were carrying out.  

Had to search for this..........The magic begins about 2:40.

Edited by atlas2
56 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

Just a new wrinkle.......I think it's been the practice for nearly a year, though I don't recall it being done last time I went for the MOT.

They now check, for want of a better description the 'clarity' of your main head lights

A little surprising to hear they will check headlight lens clarity, mine are quite opaque after many years of use. It is caused more by abrasion , but my car is kept under shade so no discoloration. The vehicles in Saudi suffered from it badly with the sand, a drive in a sandstorm would have quite an effect. I have often wondered if I attacked it with the wax-polish, or scratch remover you get for bodywork would help or not. 

Sounds like they sandblasted yours, although maybe something finer than sand. 

They should be checking number plates for clarity too, most are illigible.

22 minutes ago, jacko said:

A little surprising to hear they will check headlight lens clarity, mine are quite opaque after many years of use. It is caused more by abrasion , but my car is kept under shade so no discoloration. The vehicles in Saudi suffered from it badly with the sand, a drive in a sandstorm would have quite an effect. I have often wondered if I attacked it with the wax-polish, or scratch remover you get for bodywork would help or not. 

Sounds like they sandblasted yours, although maybe something finer than sand. 

They should be checking number plates for clarity too, most are illigible.

I recently watched a video that showed how to clear up headlight lenses. The magic treatment used WD 40 and it worked wonders. 

Perhaps try toothpaste!

7 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Had to search for this..........The magic begins about 2:40.

I was curious what the magic vapor was so did a quick search and learned it's acetone vapor. From what I read it clears the lens, but in the process removes the UV protection. As a final step you would need to add a UV clear coat.

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I was curious what the magic vapor was so did a quick search and learned it's acetone vapor. From what I read it clears the lens, but in the process removes the UV protection. As a final step you would need to add a UV clear coat.

I've got some factor 50..........

Bloody annoying overlay window that I can't get rid of, anyone got a spray for that?

38 minutes ago, jacko said:

Bloody annoying overlay window that I can't get rid of, anyone got a spray for that?

When i looked for the method used on my headlamps I came across loads of vids.......I'd check out Youtube for almost any car query.