Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Here is a video of what flooding in Bangkok in 1942 was like. It's interesting to see so many of the present day monuments surrounded by water.

It was about the same in 1980-something, I'm having a total blackout exactly what year, 1983 ... or so. It went on for three months, too, it was really bad. Then, as now, my own house was in a dry area, but getting around was the same for everyone. The big fad of THAT day was extending your tailpipe up and over the roof like a truck.

Times like this, I'm glad Bangkok is filled with Thais. Anyone else I know, it would be absolute chaos, guns and worse. As you say, they are terrific at coping.

My opinion is that Bangkok is AS ready as it's possible to be. The authorities, new government and old, City Hall religious idjits and level-headed, they've cleared the drains, got the weirs and pumps oiled and generally - generally - are as prepared as you can be. When there's too much water in the river, it has to go somewhere. Looks like some Bangkok areas are going to get it. Even then, Bangkok won't be nearly as horribly hit as some of the up-country places. The last high tide is Oct 18, and after that it should be -- no pun intended -- all downhill.

Those who give a spit, this is one of my favourite webcams. It's from the top of the Landmark Hotel which is beside Nana. The cam revolves. As I write, upper Sukhumvit is un-flooded, and it's scheduled to stay that way, because it's far enough from the river. If you look at this, and there are floods, shed a tear for Bangkok.

EDIT I should have included this. There are an insane number of Bangkok traffic cams at this link. HINT: If you load the link in Google Chrome browser, you can get a quick(er) translation of where the cams are located.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was about the same in 1980-something, I'm having a total blackout exactly what year, 1983 ... or so. It went on for three months, too, it was really bad. Then, as now, my own house was in a dry are

To label this years floods "the worst in living memory" is a bit of a stretch considering the Tsunami a few years back.

We have had our fair share of rain in Khon Kaen and more is due today and tomorrow from Tropical Depression Nalgae but, unlike some other areas of Thailand we have been fortunate. Some areas are floo

Posted Images

Well the TGF's brother has been warned his factory will likely close due to expected floods and he will be laid off.

I think the factory is Phatum Thani area.

He has also moved some belongings onto the bed in his room.

I think he will regret those payments if the layoff is too long, but had to have a new car!

Was this the Friday night speech?

Joe, yes I think it was Friday's presentation where my TGF was unimpressed, but then she always had a soft spot for Mark, as he was quietly and politely spoken. She thinks Yingluck is overly concerned regarding her appearance, non of which is as silly as praying to rain gods.

Last night Yingluck seemed to get confused over the emergency number, a rather complicated 1111!

It was all very clever to build a few dams but drainage seems to have been overlooked, surely that wasn't Thaksin!

Edited by jacko

The PM was preparing the nation for the likely flooding of Bangkok in the next few days.

Here is a video of what flooding in Bangkok in 1942 was like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1t4TDyixsI

When I said it was the worse in living memory, I was forgetting how old Joek was of course !

One thing I notice from the film, the Thai people in 1942 are physically about the same as today. In the west we were about half the size of today. Mind you, in the UK we were on strict rationing at that time. I can remember ration books as a nipper.

I hope the rain stays away for everyone.

Martin, I recently read your post on putting a fork in the PT, so I thought the good old weather, could help a bit. Its gonna be 22c in london today- not bad for October ! :thumbup

One thing I notice from the film, the Thai people in 1942 are physically about the same as today. In the west we were about half the size of today.

Entirely, completely seriously. Actually, they're not, little one. Next time you fly to Thailand, spend a couple of days in Thailand -- Bangkok, Sukhothai, Songkhla, Prachin Buri... And get to the schools.

Isan has been a little slower in taking up milk and beefy meals, you're seeing the Pattaya girls as a result of that. Thais have volleyball teams and super-models and all that stuff now.

Not all the boxers are flyweights, not any more.

Thais have volleyball teams and super-models and all that stuff now.

Oh yes, the side-effects of too much milk ... unsure.gif

Not all the boxers are flyweights, not any more.

More of the milk side-effects ...

Edited by CheshireTom

Oh yes, the side-effects of too much milk ...

It's true, execpt that for most people it's mother's milk that turns them gay. Harvard researchers proved that, apparently 97.73 per cent of gay people brag their mothers breast-fed them. Totally limp-wristed as a result.

My, how a thread diversifies.

My pool needs pumping out again. quite a long steady rainfall here yesterday around 4-6pm, and in the morning.

I'll take a ride ino town later and see if there are any effects.

I arrive in 16 days. I thought Nov weather was supposed to be alot better here's hoping all this rain has gone in a couple of weeks

The lack of rain doesn't mean there won't be flooding. The problem, this week at least, is what the Thais call wild water - water flowing from other areas to settle in the lowest lying area. That's what happened in Had Yai last year - the rain had stopped for 2 days before the serious flooding arrived. Nice, clean rainwater isn't such a big problem, the horrible brown crap that wild water brings is.

It's true, execpt that for most people it's mother's milk that turns them gay. Harvard researchers proved that, apparently 97.73 per cent of gay people brag their mothers breast-fed them. Totally limp-wristed as a result.

Oh I dunno joe, due to rationing in 1940's in England, I was breast fed for about 18 months, at least. No baby food in tins in them days. I have to confess, it is a lifestyle I still struggle to give up. :rolleyes:

My, how a thread diversifies.

My pool needs pumping out again. quite a long steady rainfall here yesterday around 4-6pm, and in the morning.

I'll take a ride ino town later and see if there are any effects.

I got bloody drenched yesterday. Set off in a light drizzle to go 1 KM on the bike, it was pouring down 100m later and it took me a bit further to find someplace to stop and get out of it. Spent the next 20 minutes under an awning. Quite amazed that the Thais seem to just carry on as much as normal,although rather dangerous as those on bikes are blind. My prize goes to the old man who seemed to be maintaining his cigarette as well as riding with his feet up. Edited by jacko

I'm Quite amazed that the Thais seem to just carry on as much as normal,although rather dangerous as those on bikes are blind. My prize goes to the old man who seemed to be maintaining his cigarette as well as riding with his feet up.

They are a resilient lot all right.

My lady friend is organizing a regatta type event Saturday at her village,to cheer everyone up. Swimmers racing rowers, two man boat team where the rower has their eyes shut and the non rower must not speak, only the crowd can give directions.....

Fish is on the menu every other day........

One problem to come, is the cold water will lower the soil temperature for quite a time and it will take longer for the fields to get warm enough for rice seed to germinate. Lets hope a good bit of sun follows this rain.

There was a quited marked flooding in October too in Pattaya - only one night though - but water up over the knee on second road and still heavy rains. Yuck

Lots of northerners working in factories closed by the floods around BKK, are stranded without work or pay and can't get home. Must be a desperate situation for many families.

Edited by nidnoyham

Lots of northerners working in factories closed by the floods around BKK, are stranded without work or pay and can't get home. Must be a desperate situation for many families.

I mentioned someplace that the TGF's brother has been laid off.

He is back at his mother's likely pondering where his next months car payment will come from.

There was talk of moving A/cft from the new a/port to higher military ones. It don't take a lot of water to prevent the use of a runway. River water spraying into engines intakes, is highly undesirable. ! :unsure:

He is back at his mother's likely pondering where his next months car payment will come from.

Bummer. There's going to be a lot of that. A lot of the banks and finance companies have already announced relief, though.

There was talk of moving A/cft from the new a/port to higher military ones. It don't take a lot of water to prevent the use of a runway. River water spraying into engines intakes, is highly undesirable. ! unsure

Never saw such talk. Any references? My balls aren't made of crystal but everyone I've seen/heard seems as certain as you can be at the mo the Bangkok airport (Suvarnabhumi) is going to be fine. (Don Mueang, on the other hand, may not be.)

"Higher" military airports means Isan - Korat for prime example. You can't, you just CAN'T divert Suvarnabhumi traffic there, so if Suvarnabhumi is closed, there won't be alternatives on higher ground, Thailand air traffic will simply be 90 per cent closed. Airlines, apart from THAI, are not going to park at Korat and wait out the floods. And they CANNOT move passengers into Korat, Takhli, Udorn, etc. In a horrible, terrible emergency, they could very slowly move passengers OUT of those places. Maybe.

The next week is going to be just horrible for Bangkok and especially surrounding provinces. As they say in the US, the rubber is hitting the road for the Big Mango right now. High tide going up, runoff coming down, they meet right at Bangkok. Happens every year and of course this year is very, very bad.

Edited by joekicker

I have a friend that lives in Burriram. E-mailed her several times but no reply. Have they lost internet services there? Hope she is ok.

No significant floods in the Northeast any more, it's all run downhill to the central region.

It is raining like a mo fo here in central BKG right now! Just what we need, a few hours away from the years highest tide.....parts of Bangers is gonna be under water this time tomorrow and stay that way for days....no doubt. My neighborhood thankfully should escape with minimal impact!

It is raining like a mo fo here in central BKG right now! Just what we need, a few hours away from the years highest tide.....parts of Bangers is gonna be under water this time tomorrow and stay that way for days....no doubt. My neighborhood thankfully should escape with minimal impact!

Here's the forecast:

weatherbkkF.jpg

Edited by joekicker