Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Retirement Visa from USA.... need input from those who have them.

Hi Guys,

A good friend and fellow BM here is finally making the plunge and moving over here. He will start the process of getting his retirement visa this month, and asked me for input. I had a great contact in the USA for issues like this, but since I moved here she has retired and is no longer available :/

So... how do you guys that have done this recommend he go about it? Do it himself, or hire a lawyer... come over here first on a tourist visa or get the O visa before leaving the USA (as far as I know he is supposed to get the retirement visa in the USA before coming here).

Any and all input from people that have been thru this process in the USA is greatly appreciated!

Frosty

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reggie, I was able to live in Pattaya comfortably on 100,000 baht a month without having to watch my spending. That is less than it cost me to live in the US, and I sure don't enjoy my life as much.

I'll agree that it over simplifies, but that it's also very doable if you have either 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank, or a letter from the embassy. Though not possible if someone were to show up just be

I wouldn't waste time with a 60 day visa. You have to have a type O visa before you can apply for a retirement visa. You can apply for that in the US, or wait and do it in Thailand. As Jacko said,

Posted Images

It's so easy to get, he doesn't need a lawyer.

There are oodles of references about how to do it..I definitely recommend not doing it in his home country. Do it here in Thailand and it's a piece of cake.

He will need a Non Immigrant O visa, this will help with opening bank account also, he will need 800k in the bank and the rest is easy. Pattaya immigration does have a website to explain the process on how to obtain visas etc (sorry dont know it) but of course - dont forget some good medical insurance

He can get the O visa either in USA or take a trip to Laos and get it over night. That is unless they will now accept the 30 day on arrival and convert from that.

Jacko would be a good one to chip in on this one

It's a lot easier than the mainstream forums lead you to expect. It's just down to money (and what isn't here). If you are over 50 but have a problem with proving that you fit the necessary criteria, then a payment of 25 - 30 k can get you the visa in under 1 hour.

Hi Guys,

A good friend and fellow BM here is finally making the plunge and moving over here. He will start the process of getting his retirement visa this month, and asked me for input. I had a great contact in the USA for issues like this, but since I moved here she has retired and is no longer available :/

So... how do you guys that have done this recommend he go about it? Do it himself, or hire a lawyer... come over here first on a tourist visa or get the O visa before leaving the USA (as far as I know he is supposed to get the retirement visa in the USA before coming here).

Any and all input from people that have been thru this process in the USA is greatly appreciated!

Frosty

It is far easier to use a 90 day non retirement O obtained in your home country (though appparently a 60 day tourist visa can be spun into the right end) and do it in Thailand. No police check from where you live that needs translation and notary etc., and the medical is the "send the TGF to the doctor for it for 200 Bht". Vs. a real doctor and translation and authentication.

All you then need is 800K Bht in the bank which you can wire to Kasikorn (who don't call for an O visa to open an account by the way, and who also handle SWIFT transfers well) and then go to a lawyer (which I would do) or try it on your own if that is too dear. If you don't have the scratch but you have the income then get a bank letter or pension letter in which case it will have to be authenticated. I think for Americans the embassy will do it without much in the way of proof.

From Siam Legal (in Pattaya):

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT:

1. BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING THB 800,000
  2. MONTHLY INCOME OF AT LEAST THB 65,000
  3. COMBINATION (BANK ACCOUNT + INCOME x 12 = THB 800,000)

Anyone who pays a criminal bribe of 30,000 Bht to do this will get caught and deported, maybe not everyone but enough. You don't want it to be you.

If someone cannot come up with not even $25,500 of cash or annual income probably needs to rethink retiring anywhere but the poorhouse.

Edited by ricktoronto

Keep in mind, an American doesn't necessarily need to have 800,000 baht in the bank. A monthly income of 65K will also work, as will some combination of money and monthly income. If a person uses the monthly income method, they obtain a statement from the US Embassy (you swear to making so much money per month in front of an Embassy official, and they sign off on it). In any event, immigration will also want to see a Thai bank account with some money in it, and you'll need a "letter" from the bank. Recent reports put the money in the bank amount at 100,000 baht, although I'm not sure about that.

Keep in mind, an American doesn't necessarily need to have 800,000 baht in the bank. A monthly income of 65K will also work, as will some combination of money and monthly income.

Right hence my saying cash or annual income, the THB 800,000 is the same either way.

The point is even in Thailand $25 grand is not a hell of a lot to live on and if it is in the bank you have to keep proving it so that is not enough on its own. Since you'd not be able to spend it.

Edited by ricktoronto

He will need a Non Immigrant O visa, this will help with opening bank account also, he will need 800k in the bank and the rest is easy. Pattaya immigration does have a website to explain the process on how to obtain visas etc (sorry dont know it) but of course - dont forget some good medical insurance

He can get the O visa either in USA or take a trip to Laos and get it over night. That is unless they will now accept the 30 day on arrival and convert from that.

Jacko would be a good one to chip in on this one

Well I think most of it has been said already.

Plenty of BMs know this procedure well.

I would obtain a multiple non-Imm O in the USA if he can. I think he could use future retirement as a reason behind it.

Then he has 12-15 months in Thailand to get established, open a back account, get the 800k on deposit. obtain driving licence. Get married, have kids, buy a bar and house for her, car for papa, ....NO NO NO, scrub the last sentence!!!

Don't be worried by the effort it takes to get your own retirement extension here, it is quite easy.

Getting it in the USA (Non Imm O-A) is a little more effort requiring a police report.

Read more here

Edited by jacko

I have two supplemental questions, both quite important for me.

1) How long does the process of getting a retirement visa take, once I am in Pattaya? Without giving a bribe.

2) Once I obtain a retirement visa, can I continue to live and work in the US? What are the Thai requirements for maintaining that visa - I guess at the least I would have to visit once a year to get it renewed?

Thanks.

1) How long does the process of getting a retirement visa take, once I am in Pattaya? Without giving a bribe.

2) Once I obtain a retirement visa, can I continue to live and work in the US? What are the Thai requirements for maintaining that visa - I guess at the least I would have to visit once a year to get it renewed?

Thanks.

When you have the visa, you will have to report to the immigration office in Jomtien every 90 days, if you want to leave Thailand for whatever reason, you have to get a re entry stamp from the immigration office. If you want to come to Thailand for longer stays at a time and still work back in the USA for a few months each year, i think you would be better to get a 1 year Non O Multi entry, that way you have no reporting every 90 days, but do have to leave Thailand every 90 days / (can do border runs easily) and you dont need to get the re entry stamp each time. And each time you re enter Thailand, they stamp you for 90 days. At 363 days into this visa, you can do a border run and get another 90 days, hence making the 12 months effectivley 15 months.

Thanks.

I think that, on a retirement visa (O visa extend for purpose of retirement if obtained in Thailand?), there's no 90 day reporting requirement if you're out of the country. You'll have to come back to renew it every year, though. I think I'm going to do that myself next time I'm in Thailand - get another retirement visa and renew it once a year. That way, if they somehow change the requirements, I'll be grandfathered in.

OP, there is both some good information and some very bad/wrong information being bandied about loosely on this thread.

My advice is to simply research it on a more suitable website for visas/permissions to stay, e.g., ThaiVisa.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

I forgot to add, it only takes a day or two, once you have the required documents.

I forgot to add, it only takes a day or two, once you have the required documents.

My friend just changed a 30 day on arrival stamp to a non-o visa and then changed that to a retirement visa. It took 3 days including the trip to BKK to the U.S. Embassy. Very simple and very little money in the bank acct. (there is no requirement if you have Embassy letter). A very simple process. Forget the crazy shit about hiring an attorney. A retard can do it. Several of my friends have and I suspect Gabor got one.

Jack

Thanks.

I did mine in 2 days.... one day of prep, getting the bank letter, making copies of stuff, next day sat in immigration doing it. Walked out with it same day.

One requirement for the extension is financial means. You have to prove you either have income (a pension), necessitating the Embassy letter. The embassies are very familiar with doing, and charging for this service. Alternatively a letter off the bank confirming 800k baht on deposit for at least 3 months. This is my preferred option.

Be aware, if you arrive with a single entry Non-Imm O, you have 90 days to get things organised.

If you arrive with a single entry tourist visa, you have 60 days + potential 30 day extension.

I believe if you are not in Thailand, you simply need an exit-reentry permit, then can return before the retirement extension expires.

I personally have not done the visa-waiver/ tourist visa conversion to a Non-Imm O (in Thailand), with the aim of a retirement extension, but it would sound simpler to arrive with the Non-Imm O if you can.

Further info on visas start here..

Frosty, have him go to the Thai Embassy website, Washington DC. The process is clearly listed with the needed forms, They indicate it can be done by mail. Only problem is the US State dept. in the US doesnt seem to know what an income letter is, but i didnt persue it far with them. Letter can be obtained at the US embassy on Wireless if he is here on a visit.

Frosty, have him go to the Thai Embassy website, Washington DC. The process is clearly listed with the needed forms, They indicate it can be done by mail. Only problem is the US State dept. in the US doesnt seem to know what an income letter is, but i didnt persue it far with them. Letter can be obtained at the US embassy on Wireless if he is here on a visit.

It is linked in my first post... I hope HE read it! :D
  • 3 months later...

Frosty started this topic for me and I am finally getting close to getting everything ready, but I have a couple of questions that I need answered before I send in my application. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of applying for a 60 day tourist visa and have sent an email to the Portland, OR, RTC asking the same questions I will ask here. I don't know how long it will take them to answer, so hopefully I can get some answers from the expats in the know on here.

Question #1: On the application it asks for my itinerary. From that section I take it that they expect me to have a ticket already purchased to show them when I send in all the associated paperwork with the application. Is it necessary to have a ticket before I send in the application?

Question #2: The application asks for "Evidence of Adequate Finances", i.e., $480 or 20000baht. What type of documentation to they required to substantiate this?

I have attached a copy of the application for any clarification issues. Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

CB

Thai Visa Application.pdf

From what I've heard they rarely want proof of your ticket. Frankly you pay them money and if you don't go they made the money and do they care if you do or don't?

Just put Bangkok, Ayutthaya, wats and temple tours, yadda yadda.

Photocopy a bank statement and circle the balance if you have to. Which you don't seem to as there is nothing on that PDF that says anything about money.

Frosty started this topic for me and I am finally getting close to getting everything ready, but I have a couple of questions that I need answered before I send in my application. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of applying for a 60 day tourist visa and have sent an email to the Portland, OR, RTC asking the same questions I will ask here. I don't know how long it will take them to answer, so hopefully I can get some answers from the expats in the know on here.

Question #1: On the application it asks for my itinerary. From that section I take it that they expect me to have a ticket already purchased to show them when I send in all the associated paperwork with the application. Is it necessary to have a ticket before I send in the application?

Question #2: The application asks for "Evidence of Adequate Finances", i.e., $480 or 20000baht. What type of documentation to they required to substantiate this?

I have attached a copy of the application for any clarification issues. Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

CB

I just got another single entry 60-day tourist visa at the Houston Thai Consulate. it costs $40 and they require evidence of your itinerary. This time I just attached a copy of the route from the United airlines website which also happened to have the price quote. In the past I have just attached a copy of the electronic ticket. For proof of adequate finances I just attach a copy of my monthly credit union statement.

it almost takes longer to fill out the form than it does to get the visa. In Houston if you submit it by 10:00 am you can come pick up your visa the same afternoon.

• Upvote 1

For anyone else reading this thread here is an alternative approach.

Buy a one way ticket to Thailand. Also buy a one way airasia cheap ticket from Bkk to Cambodia/neighbouring country, departing about 3 weeks after your landing day in Thailand (about 1200 baht when on sale). Tell your bank you are moving to Thailand so they won't freeze your account. Bring $. Enough to last you for a few weeks.

When you get here, go to Kasikorn bank open an account and put your money in. Then go to a us Consulate and get the income verification letter --about 50 USD.

Go to immigration and apply for your visa. Then, you can either use your ticket to fly to the neighbouring country, or, what I would recommend, fly to Udon and just go to Laos.

Send some money from your us account to your Kasikorn account as soon as you can just to make sure there are no problems.

All of that paperwork and running around you are doing just isn't necessary. Come here and bring money, it's dead simple.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

cannonball83204, You don't say how old you are but if over 50 then get a non-immigrant O visa based as a pensioner. The requirement for a UK resident is (copied from the Hull consulate site)

1) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required
:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £900 per month.

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

This gives you 90 days from arrival in Thailand (on a single entry) to convert to a Retirement Visa at Thai immigration. If you take the multi-entry option then you have to leave Thailand every 90 days and will get a further 90 days on your return until such time as you get your Retirement Visa in Thailand.

The evidence I use to obtain a Multi entry 'O' is a copy bank statement with my income highlighted, however any reasonable evidence (pension payslips etc) will do. At todays rate £900 is US$1,413.76 You do not need to provide an itinerary as the presumption is that you will stay in Thailand.

If you follow m_holmes excellent advice and go the Tourist Visa route you may need to demonstrate an outbound flight from Thailand to your airline in the USA before they allow you to board. The Air Asia option is a good one but I find that the cheapest option is to book a Tiger Airways flight from Phuket or Hat Yai to Singapore where some flights cost as little as 1800 Baht all in. Tiger appears to be one of the cheapest international operators at the moment. You will have 60 days (+30 days if you apply for an extension) in which to apply for a Retirement Visa but unless you open a Thai bank account and submit 800,000 Baht before leaving home you will not have a 90 day history and will have to rely on income.

The 'O' visa route described above gives extra time albeit with the need to visit a neighbouring country before 90 days (with a multi-entry O) to get a further 90 days stamp.

http://www.tigerairw.../real_deals.php

Tiger.JPG

Good Luck

Edited by Severn