Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Tipping in Pattaya Restaurants

jacko,you're obviously up for an argument which I don't intend to continue.

You did not correctly deduce that the Google link was not intended to prove a point-simply to inform you of the customs in my country.

It's obvious to me the waiter is less fortunate than the customer.So waiters are beggars?Relying on handouts?Wow.In fact,hilarious.They are tipped for providing a service but you are simply chiding for an argument.Find it elsewhere.Go bait someone else.

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.

Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anything specific.

I never said I didn't tip, quite the contrary. And what makes you think a waiter is necessarily less fortunate than a customer? I find it tacky, that in an advanced country like the USA, they deliberately reduce the salaries of a particular group of hard working people, and force them to become beggars, relying on the hand-outs from others.

Karma, I don't much go in for Deities or religions.

Edited by bigdelta
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ens

You presume a lot Idefix. What gives you the idea that I spend between 1,000 to 2,000 baht in a bar to come out to a 100 baht tip? Nothing strange about tipping more in a bar. I have not yet been to a

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.  Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anyt

Yes and it's a fact I'm proud of.Many people in the food service industry depend solely on tips for their livelihood,especially in (semi)Third World countries.If I can afford a trip abroad,I can surely afford a tip,no matter which continent I'm on.

Don't get me started on karma..............

There is no place in the US not subject to miminum wage laws: the national minimum wage is $7.25/hr. Here in California the state min. wage is $8/hr. Wait staff do not depend on tips for their income since they all must by law receive at least the minimum wage. The tip credit is the means by which employers factor tips into one's wages. The employer must make up the difference between tips and the minimum wage level. In THAT sense, you're really tipping the employer when you tip. That said, wait staff may depend on tips for what they make or expect to make beyond the minimum wage (simply because many employers pay more than the minimum wage), but even then, I'm not sure how tip sharing or pooling dilutes that. Again, before anybody starts - I'm only talking about here in the US.

"Tip jars" have been a fixture here now for several years, in everything from fast food restaurants to auto parts stores, and it seems to me I've even seen a few of them here & there in Thailand. I'm not sure who actually puts them out, the employers or the employees, but they don't seem to see much action.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Minimum wage is LESS for food servers than the minimum wage for all other jobs.I am referring to the majority of states,not California.Can you provide a link to the law that states the employer must make the difference?Thanks.

i

There is no place in the US not subject to miminum wage laws: the national minimum wage is $7.25/hr. Here in California the state min. wage is $8/hr. Wait staff do not depend on tips for their income since they all must by law receive at least the minimum wage. T

he tip credit is the means by which employers factor tips into one's wages. The employer must make up the difference between tips and the minimum wage level. In THAT sense, you're really tipping the employer when you tip. That said, wait staff may depend on tips for what they make or expect to make beyond the minimum wage (simply because many employers pay more than the minimum wage), but even then, I'm not sure how tip sharing or pooling dilutes that. Again, before anybody starts - I'm only talking about here in the US.

"Tip jars" have been a fixture here now for several years, in everything from fast food restaurants to auto parts stores, and it seems to me I've even seen a few of them here & there in Thailand. I'm not sure who actually puts them out, the employers or the employees, but they don't seem to see much action.

Edited by bigdelta
  • Upvote 1

From the DOL website (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm and http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm):

"A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees."

Are you saying, that waiters in some states don't make the federal minimum wage? Per the above, don't they have to? (I have added the boldface, but it's otherwise a direct quote.) Some of the google items from your link, do muddle that up a bit, but the above is the law and I think we can safely consider it authoritative.

Are you the enforcer? Does it really matter that much to you? Isn't it possible that tipping practices in other places might have something to do with tipping behavior in Pattaya?

Are you the enforcer? Does it really matter that much to you? Isn't it possible that tipping practices in other places might have something to do with tipping behavior in Pattaya?

Im not the enforcer so calm yourself down, if you want to come on and threadfuck, start a new thread. The tipping practices in other countries have nothing to do with tipping in Pattaya, but thats another thread

• Downvote 1

Says you. Calm down.

Yes says me, im not the one banging on about the minimum wage in America, when this thread is about tipping in Pattaya restaurants :dhorse

• Downvote 1

Thanks for that.I was a tad confused by some of the links I opened.

From the DOL website (http://www.dol.gov/d...s/wagestips.htm and http://www.dol.gov/w...nce/whdfs15.htm):

"A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees."

Are you saying, that waiters in some states don't make the federal minimum wage? Per the above, don't they have to? (I have added the boldface, but it's otherwise a direct quote.) Some of the google items from your link, do muddle that up a bit, but the above is the law and I think we can safely consider it authoritative.

Actually mick,it started in post # 10,not 2 posts prior.You've been is a pissy mood on this forum recently as I remember with BigD and now here.You have always been a much appreciated poster,especially about Khon Kaen,and mild mannered,but IMO you seem to have turned a corner.My .02.

Actually mick,it started in post # 10,not 2 posts prior.You've been is a pissy mood on this forum recently as I remember with BigD and now here.You have always been a much appreciated poster,especially about Khon Kaen,and mild mannered,but IMO you seem to have turned a corner.My .02.

Different Mick.

Gheez and i thought i had calmed right down and not said anything crap about anyone for quite some time

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for that.I was a tad confused by some of the links I opened.

Actually, there is another way to look at this, If you're a waiter in a state with a higher "direct wage", then to you, tips matter more, since the higher direct wage already puts you closer to surpassing the minimum wage.

In any case, I suspect that this is how the 20% tip came about in the first place. When the "tip credit" was introduced, I think (strictly a matter of my opinion here) it worked to the detriment of wait staff because employers were now able to pay cash wages less than the minimum wage. IOW, where a waiter USED to get min wage plus tips, now they got some amount less than min wage plus tips. So, in response, restaurant workers boosted the "normal tip" to 20% to make up the loss. (It took time, but remarkable that they were successful in propagating that, even though many do still refuse to accept it.) Again, I can't support this, but I'm wondering if this all happened at about the same time the feds realized they hadn't been collecting tax on tip income and put some of the burden on employers to track & report it... Now able to demonstrate that the total wage including tips met the minimum wage requirement, they invented the "tip wage".

The bottom line is that I'd hate to see all this American tipping practice, mature to the point of having been institutionalized as discussed, imported to Thailand (or anywhere else). Eventually, it just becomes something else to tax.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you give more than 100 baht tip in a bar but usually only 20 in a restaurant ? Strange.

And why no tip to buffets ? My Thai friend always give 20 or 40 baht to the waiter who bring us drinks, who check that our glasses are always full, who take care of the fire and level of water, who bring us shrimps or fishes from the BBQ when ready, ... He deserves it as much as a waiter in a restaurant.

It's indeed the easiest way to recognize American people... ;)

Yes, We do it so people will know we are not french.

Jack

• Upvote 2

Yes MM I was just about to post a correction and apology to Dr Mick for the confusion when I saw your post.

Dr Mick,I apologize for confusing you with this "other" mick.You're too good-hearted a guy to post what I saw.Including a post to BigD a few days ago.

Order is restored.

I'm going to play my "Preparing for a Small but Widespread Hurricane Tomorrow Evening" card that distracted me.Obviously I can't multi-task at my age.But I'm prepared.

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/Active.aspx?storm=1&type=track

Different Mick.

Edited by bigdelta

Well I guess this leads us back to the original premise of this thread.I will continue to tip as I always have,especially when the server DOES NOT receive a minimum wage.

Actually, there is another way to look at this, If you're a waiter in a state with a higher "direct wage", then to you, tips matter more, since the higher direct wage already puts you closer to surpassing the minimum wage.

In any case, I suspect that this is how the 20% tip came about in the first place. When the "tip credit" was introduced, I think (strictly a

matter of my opinion here) it worked to the detriment of wait staff because employers were now able to pay cash wages less than the minimum wage. IOW, where a waiter USED to get min wage plus tips, now they got some amount less than min wage plus tips. So, in response, restaurant workers boosted the "normal tip" to 20% to make up the loss. (It took time, but remarkable that they were successful in propagating that, even though many do still refuse to accept it.) Again, I can't support this, but I'm wondering if this all happened at about the same time the feds realized they hadn't been collecting tax on tip income and put some of the burden on employers to track & report it... Now able to demonstrate that the total wage including tips met the minimum wage requirement, they invented the "tip wage".

The bottom line is that I'd hate to see all this American tipping practice, mature to the point of having been institutionalized as discussed, imported to Thailand (or anywhere else). Eventually, it just becomes something else to tax.

Well I guess this leads us back to the original premise of this thread.I will continue to tip as I always have,especially when the server DOES NOT receive a minimum wage.

Doesn't Thailand have a minimum wage? (Which I realize is only what, TB150-200/day?)

Doesn't Thailand have a minimum wage? (Which I realize is only what, TB150-200/day?)

220-240 in poor areas

250-300 in industrial or richer ones

Bangkok: 300, Pattaya: 273, ChiangMai: 250. More: New Minimum Wage April 2012

I understand that the governement want a 300 baht minimum everywhere in April 2013

but looks like there is a strong opposition to this project...

Higher?That's under USD 1 per hour.Holy crap.

Thanks. I saw that there were increases in the works but was unable to work out exactly what the current rates were. Guess the Thai MW is higher than I thought

Guest Fatboyfat

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ensures that such things as police corruption continue. Edited by Fatboyfat
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Relative yes.My statement mens everything,really.Maybe you should live in another man's shoes for a while.........meaning,and I quote" a select group of lower paid,unqualified employees",that depend on those very tips to live..And you actually believe that overtipping by less than 20-30 baht "causes untold problems for the greater economy & ensures that such things as police corruption continue"?

That is hilarious on many levels.Go bait someone else with absurd notions like that.

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ensures that such things as police corruption continue.

• Upvote 1

Just over 34 Baht or around $1.10 p.h. in Pattaya. Most places down my way advertise somewhere between 35 and 50 Baht p.h. for part-time waiting staff. What I don't particularly like is those places that charge a service charge but then don't pass that on to the staff.

Edited by CheshireTom

Lowlife management.I guess the wait staff has no one to complain to about that practice.

Just over 34 Baht or around $1.10 p.h. in Pattaya. Most places down my way advertise somewhere between 35 and 50 Baht p.h. for part-time waiting staff. What I don't particularly like is those places that charge a service charge but then don't pass that on to the staff.