Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Tipping in Pattaya Restaurants

I've worked in the hospitality industry for over 40 years in the US, Canada, Europe, Hongkong and Thailand and lived or traveled ( mostly on holidays) to most parts of the world. Tipping in hotels and restaurants is common and expected in most countries either directly by the customer or in a service charge added to the bill. The service industry is very staff heavy in order to provide good service to the customers, so the employers pay lower wages than the staff may deserve ( even if it is the required minimum wage). so employees need their tips in order to live in a reasonale life styly ( I said reasonable not great!!!)

Employers cannot affort to pay higher wages to the large number of staff that are needed to provide the level of service expected by the customers in hotels and restaurants. If they were to do so they would either go bankrupt and out of business or need to substancialy increase prices for rooms and/or meals.

You may have noticed that in recent years more and more restaurants are adding a service charge on to their bills. (Hopefully all giviing it to their staff)

The reason for this is abundantly clear by reading the number of "cheap charlie" posters on this thread who would spend thousands of Baht on gratifying themselves but are to tight fisted to leave what is cosidered minimal 10% tip in a resaurant for the staff who have taken care of them and improved the enjoyment of their meal. Tips in most restaurants go not only to the waite staff but also to the kitchen staff who prepare their food and cean up the mess after they leave.

I agree that in a buffet where you serve and even cook your self, a lesser tip is appropriate but it should still be at least 5%. After all who do you think cooked the food for you or in the case of a self cooking venue, prepared and cleaned the ingredients for you too cook, who is clearing and cleaning your table, bringing drinks etc. and washing the dishes etc. after you leave, are you also doing that yourself?

I'm sure some of the posters will not agree with me but try to put yourselves in the shoes of the staff who take care of you when you eat out,some you se and many you do ot even see throuhtout you meal , but all of whom put in a lot of effort to make our meal and enjoyable one. Even on days when some of you are in a foul mood and take it you on you waiter/waitress, they still have a smile for you and try their best to satisfy you requirements.

Sorry for being so long winded but I thought this needed saying and I hope it will make some of you think twice before being rude to your waiter/waiteress (I've seen it too often over the years in the business) and about leaving a tip. Naturally if the service is bad, by all means leave less or none at all. If the service is exceptional, leave more!!!

A Wonderfully worded piece about tipping except in one thing , for the UK at least when a minimum wage is agreed the tips the staff receive or do not receive is no part of that minimum wage and very many of the customers of the low end restaurants will be on the same minimum wage,so why, if you are employed as a street sweeper or hospital porter on very much the same wages as a waitress,should you be expected to tip them to make them better paid than you are.I can understand some people with too much money who want to appear magnanimous to the poor working class,tipping,but most of us want and need clarity in the pricing of things and in the UK if you advertise a thing for a certain price then that price must be honored or you are breaking the law.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ens

You presume a lot Idefix. What gives you the idea that I spend between 1,000 to 2,000 baht in a bar to come out to a 100 baht tip? Nothing strange about tipping more in a bar. I have not yet been to a

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.  Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anyt

A Wonderfully worded piece about tipping except in one thing , for the UK at least when a minimum wage is agreed the tips the staff receive or do not receive is no part of that minimum wage and very many of the customers of the low end restaurants will be on the same minimum wage,so why, if you are employed as a street sweeper or hospital porter on very much the same wages as a waitress,should you be expected to tip them to make them better paid than you are.I can understand some people with too much money who want to appear magnanimous to the poor working class,tipping,but most of us want and need clarity in the pricing of things and in the UK if you advertise a thing for a certain price then that price must be honored or you are breaking the law.

Rather be a street sweeper than deal with the general public. Servers etc are under appreciated and often times the remuneration is rather low.

'Found an online forum here in the states that was all about tipping (I was trying to look into the matter of tipping pizza delivery guys when the pizza places already charges a delivery fee). I began reading through what was posted in some of the different threads there until my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore. The arrogance and disrespect for customers generally was astounding. Repeatedly saw references and threats as to what happens to the food of customers who are deemed "under-tippers". I guess what really got me was that it was just another incarnation of the all-to-common entitlement mentality here in the US. But I did see one or two posts, from people claiming to be wait staff themselves, stating that in their opinion and in their experience, it was in fact usually the less competent, less motivated, full-of-attitude individuals that seemed to be the perennial victims of low tips. They of course mentioned the occasional and unavoidable low-tipper, but their bigger complaint was in having to pool their tips...

In this day & age, I think that's true. Tipping is a holdover from another time when wages just weren't a regulated thing to anywhere near the extent they are now. Employers should be paying their employees what their efforts & expertise are worth, the customer pays his bill, and that's that.