Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Tipping in Pattaya Restaurants

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ensures that such things as police corruption continue.

It's called tip in the hospitality industry and the same called corruption in a governmental office....

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All relative... and your statement means nothing really...... But overpaying unnecessarily to a select group of lower paid, unqualified employees causes untold problems for the greater economy and ens

You presume a lot Idefix. What gives you the idea that I spend between 1,000 to 2,000 baht in a bar to come out to a 100 baht tip? Nothing strange about tipping more in a bar. I have not yet been to a

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.  Your link goes to a Google list, so you have not provided anyt

Did I say tipping? No, the idea of presuming tips and reducing salary I find unsavoury. I think everyone should be paid a minimum wage.

I agree and don't think tips should count towards salary. On the minimum wage front, employers here are legally bound to make up the difference if the employee doesn't reach it via salary plus tips. So at least the employee is supposed to be compensated that minimum pay per hour.

On the minimum wage front, employers here are legally bound to make up the difference if the employee doesn't reach it via salary plus tips. So at least the employee is supposed to be compensated that minimum pay per hour.

We have confirmation that gratuities in the US go to the employer to subsidise low wages. Would you not be better to stop tipping automatically and let the employer pay the staff for the work that he employs them for.

You can then make a small contribution should you receive "Exceptional service"................

Surely no-one could disagree that it is bad practice to export this low pay ethic to other countries; habitually 'tipping' for normal service levels arguably encourages employers to reduce pay thus making the server reliant on gratuities as per the above example.

I'd rather have an 8 buck lunch and have the option to leave a 2 dollar tip than pay 10 bucks for that same lunch and not have the option.

Those who think tipping is evil seem to all live in places that pay way more for the same thing than those who have a tipping optional culture.

Even if you tipped your pilot and everyone else you came across your 5000 dollar holiday might cost you 500 more.

I figure just in gratuities I might leave a hundred bucks to wait staff etc in a month so maybe 2% of my holiday budget.

We have confirmation that gratuities in the US go to the employer to subsidise low wages. Would you not be better to stop tipping automatically and let the employer pay the staff for the work that he employs them for.

You can then make a small contribution should you receive "Exceptional service"................

Surely no-one could disagree that it is bad practice to export this low pay ethic to other countries; habitually 'tipping' for normal service levels arguably encourages employers to reduce pay thus making the server reliant on gratuities as per the above example.

My mom worked as a waitress and her tips were never turned over to the owner of the restaurant.

Gratuities DO NOT go to the employer in the US.Your confirmation is incorrect.

I'd rather have an 8 buck lunch and have the option to leave a 2 dollar tip than pay 10 bucks for that same lunch and not have the option.

Personally I would prefer the salary of the staff to be included in the price of dinner and not have to be tasked with paying his salary myself and determinate his worth....25% in the case you mentioned. When I apply for a job, one of the primary questions is 'how much do I get paid'...... seems foolish to accept an unknown quantity Typical USA deception in my mind that the price list displayed is not inclusive of the salary of the staff, which I must calculate (subjecting the poor peon to the superiority of others), and the tax!

If I have just £10 in my pocket, nice to know I actually have enough for my dinner.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2

If I have just £10 in my pocket, nice to know I actually have enough for my dinner.

Ha, Try to buy a car for the advertised price.

If it says 20,000 on the window you'd be lucky to walk away with it for less than 24,000 here in Toronto.

Edit

if you see a meal here for say 10 bucks by the time you add tax, tip, one beer and a further tax on alcohol on top of that you'll be at 20 bucks.

You just learn how it works.

Edited by steamer

Ha, Try to buy a car for the advertised price.

If it says 20,000 on the window you'd be lucky to walk away with it for less than 24,000 here in Toronto.

Edit

if you see a meal here for say 10 bucks by the time you add tax, tip, one beer and a further tax on alcohol on top of that you'll be at 20 bucks.

You just learn how it works.

Sure, but it seems easier and more honest to post the actual price...what on earth is the point of telling you how much it is not going to be?
  • Upvote 1
Sure, but it seems easier and more honest to post the actual price...what on earth is the point of telling you how much it is not going to be?

You've never seen ++ on hotel pricing?

You've never seen ++ on hotel pricing?

Sure I have..... but I wasn't thinking of eating in hotel restaurants where I am less inclined to tip anyhow.
Sure I have..... but I wasn't thinking of eating in hotel restaurants where I am less inclined to tip anyhow.

The point you were making wasn't about eating, but the unknown price..to which I responded.

The point you were making wasn't about eating, but the unknown price..to which I responded.

And wasn't I responding to a post about buying a car in Toronto?
And wasn't I responding to a post about buying a car in Toronto?

Yes you were. Were you thinking you could make a meal of it?

well, what seems more like a false price?

$8.99 plus tip and tax (15% plus 13 % = $11.51) or $11.99 all in?

When they round up there is always a bit extra in it for the business.

You'll pay more and not have the option to not tip if the service was poor or if you ate at a place where no tip is expected (takeaway, McDonald's etc.)

To me, the tax and tip excluded price leaves you with a few extra pesos in your pocket and the option to leave more or none at all.

Edited by steamer

Yes you were. Were you thinking you could make a meal of it?

Only if it was a diner car.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've worked in the hospitality industry for over 40 years in the US, Canada, Europe, Hongkong and Thailand and lived or traveled ( mostly on holidays) to most parts of the world. Tipping in hotels and restaurants is common and expected in most countries either directly by the customer or in a service charge added to the bill. The service industry is very staff heavy in order to provide good service to the customers, so the employers pay lower wages than the staff may deserve ( even if it is the required minimum wage). so employees need their tips in order to live in a reasonale life styly ( I said reasonable not great!!!)

Employers cannot affort to pay higher wages to the large number of staff that are needed to provide the level of service expected by the customers in hotels and restaurants. If they were to do so they would either go bankrupt and out of business or need to substancialy increase prices for rooms and/or meals.

You may have noticed that in recent years more and more restaurants are adding a service charge on to their bills. (Hopefully all giviing it to their staff)

The reason for this is abundantly clear by reading the number of "cheap charlie" posters on this thread who would spend thousands of Baht on gratifying themselves but are to tight fisted to leave what is cosidered minimal 10% tip in a resaurant for the staff who have taken care of them and improved the enjoyment of their meal. Tips in most restaurants go not only to the waite staff but also to the kitchen staff who prepare their food and cean up the mess after they leave.

I agree that in a buffet where you serve and even cook your self, a lesser tip is appropriate but it should still be at least 5%. After all who do you think cooked the food for you or in the case of a self cooking venue, prepared and cleaned the ingredients for you too cook, who is clearing and cleaning your table, bringing drinks etc. and washing the dishes etc. after you leave, are you also doing that yourself?

I'm sure some of the posters will not agree with me but try to put yourselves in the shoes of the staff who take care of you when you eat out,some you se and many you do ot even see throuhtout you meal , but all of whom put in a lot of effort to make our meal and enjoyable one. Even on days when some of you are in a foul mood and take it you on you waiter/waitress, they still have a smile for you and try their best to satisfy you requirements.

Sorry for being so long winded but I thought this needed saying and I hope it will make some of you think twice before being rude to your waiter/waiteress (I've seen it too often over the years in the business) and about leaving a tip. Naturally if the service is bad, by all means leave less or none at all. If the service is exceptional, leave more!!!

• Upvote 3

Isn't tipping supposed to be for good service? If thats the case then there wouldn't be much call for tipping in pattaya !!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The reason for this is abundantly clear by reading the number of "cheap charlie" posters on this thread who would spend thousands of Baht on gratifying themselves

See the many ego tourists throwing the pingpong balls, banknotes in the bars, paying the ladydrinks on trays, tip the bargirls with banknotes for a kind word... and argue on the next day on 5 baht with the beach vendors who working really hard....

• Upvote 1

See the many ego tourists throwing the pingpong balls, banknotes in the bars, paying the ladydrinks on trays, tip the bargirls with banknotes for a kind word... and argue on the next day on 5 baht with the beach vendors who working really hard....

And then there's the guys who brag incessantly about getting girls on the cheap because they are cool, speak some Thai, and give them noodle soup . I see that as a bigger "ego tourist". Do you know anyone like that? I do.

• Upvote 1

I've worked in the hospitality industry for over 40 years in the US, Canada, Europe, Hongkong and Thailand and lived or traveled ( mostly on holidays) to most parts of the world. Tipping in hotels and restaurants is common and expected

I think your opinion is biased a little because of it.

It is sad that the industry presses you to be dependent on the largesse of others. Tipping hotel staff and waiters is one end of the spectrum.... travelling through greyer areas like giving money to the security staff here and there not to hassle you...and moving on to greasing palms generally.

Employers most certainly can afford to pay more, particularly since they add a service charge anyway.

If a person doesn't like their job, and the remuneration is poor, they should make efforts to improve their horizons.

Please don't retort that I must be one of the cheap charlies out there as I do not believe I am. I just dislike being obligated and being told how to spend my money.

Good post and point accepted that treating waiters politely should be the norm, I believe I do but will curb my occasional grumpy tendencies..

"Have you never had good service in Pattaya? "

I did say there wouldn't be much call for it, not that it would never happen.

I have had good service occassionally, but it is certainly the exception rather than the normal. Orders messed up, food not arriving, the main arrives before the entree (or sometimes the desert comes first) grumpy staff.....had them all.

"Have you never had good service in Pattaya? "

I did say there wouldn't be much call for it, not that it would never happen.

I have had good service occassionally, but it is certainly the exception rather than the normal. Orders messed up, food not arriving, the main arrives before the entree (or sometimes the desert comes first) grumpy staff.....had them all.

The one that infuriates me, and it happens all the time.......is teh quick-cook plates arrive and are put on the table.... no rice yet..... and they appear to be waiting until the steamed fish is ready....many dishes are cold by the time you get some goof-ball to spoon out some rice from the big pot.