Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thai: LAX to BKK question

Domestic (US) airlines are paying closer attention due to increase in injury due to heavy items falling from the overhead when it is opened.

The U.S. airlines I have flown recently do not bat an eyelid at a 40-pound carry on. They just monitor the size.

The 15-pound limit enforced in Europe and by EVA at LAX is such a rip off. Any halfway decent carry on weighs 8 to 10 pounds. I have a Travelpro Lite, and that is 8 or 9 pounds. What can a person carry to remain within the limit - a couple of cameras and a handkerchief?

I even ordered a rolling duffel, thinking it will be lighter because of its thinner construction. But it is not - it needs to have a frame and the total weight comes to 7 pounds or so.

Well, I dont fly EVA from LAX unless the price or schedule forces me to. That happens sometimes.

I wish regulatory bodies update the weight limit and bring it up to a sensible level.

It's a huge problem if that 40+ lb. bag falls on your head.

Slighty OT,there was an article last week regarding theft from carry on items in the overhead-very interesting.

I wonder why they have these rules in the first place? It's OK to put weight in the checked bag, but if it's in the carry-on bag, it's somehow a problem? It's all going on the same plane.

I've come to the conclusion that I can travel with almost nothing. I can buy what I need when I get there.

It's a huge problem if that 40+ lb. bag falls on your head.

Slighty OT,there was an article last week regarding theft from carry on items in the overhead-very interesting.

One time when I flew Thai Air from LAX, the plane stopped in Japan to be re-fueled and cleaned for the final leg to Bangkok. They made everyone leave the plane, but they said it would be OK to leave your carry-on bags on the plane, so I did. I was a little nervous about that, though, as I had some valuable things in the bag. More recently, it seems as though I've had to change planes if there's a stop.

One time when I flew Thai Air from LAX, the plane stopped in Japan to be re-fueled and cleaned for the final leg to Bangkok. They made everyone leave the plane, but they said it would be OK to leave your carry-on bags on the plane, so I did. I was a little nervous about that, though, as I had some valuable things in the bag. More recently, it seems as though I've had to change planes if there's a stop.

Well I wouldn't expect to be getting off a Thai Airways aircraft Bangkok bound to change planes, nor would I be leaving my carry on baggage behind. Generally I have put my passport back up there, along with cash. It is substantially less than 40lbs though.

on my second trip back in 2011 when departing Thailand with Thai airways my checked bag was over the limit for bizz class I wanna say max was 75lbs?

no big deal I did have another bag to shuffle some things, but I asked if I could pay a fine or fee and let it threw but was told that it has nothng to due with weighing down the plane or anything like that it's just simply for the baggage carriers to avoid injury lifting bags that weigh to much.

As far as carryon never been weighed never been asked, I knew size could be an issue but ...........

Yes, I've flown recently and they were relaxed. The only airline that I have that problem with is EVA.

EVA never gave me any problems at all.

Guess it's up to the passenger and agent and how they interact.

Funny thing happened to me on a domestic American Airlines trip. At LAX I was told that my 2nd carry on was too big and that I would have to break it up. So I did just that using a light weight duffel bag I had.

At my connection, they complained about me having three carry ons and made me stuff bag number 3 back into bag number 2.

If I ever fly Eva again I will be taking a rolling laptop bag I have and use it to tow the lightweight duffel bag I have and forget my 21" bag.

Since the airlines figured out how to rip off more money from passengers, I invested in a good backpack. I paid 2,700 baht for a Targus Metro. It's carry on legal size and comfortable to carry. I used to use a Travelpro carry on with a shoulder strap but the backpack is much easier and more comfortable to carry. It has many different pockets and compartments. At check in, I kept it on my back and they didn't bother to weigh it. With all the different compartments, I don't have to root through a bag to find what I'm looking for. Having had my luggage lost a number of times, I carry a couple days change of clothes, a small shaving kit, tooth brush and soap.It has a special compartment for a laptop and a lined padded pocket in that compartment for my beloved Kindle. I no longer carry a camera. My cell phone has an excellent camera.