Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

World Cup, want to watch in Pattaya

Hi folk,

Was thinking ot going to World Cup but too expensive to get to Brazil and all the travelling about, so thought of coming to Pattya to watch in the bars. Always a good atmoshpere when its on.

Kick off times are 17:00, 20:00 and 23:00 BST, so that makes it midnight, 3 am and 6 am if theres a 7 hr time gap between UK and Thailand.

Is this right? Could do the midnight kick offs, but the others look too hard to stay awake for, and would guess the bars might want to close.

First round group games run from 12-26 June

I am glad the two threads about the Wold Cup in Brazil have finally started. A bit of harmless banter is fine, but so far there has been too much of it, instead of discussing what will or could happen when the competition will start in a few short months

I was a still a kid in 1954 when Germany beat the hot favourites Hungary in Switzerland and listened to the final on the radio with my Dad.

In 1958 I went to a pub in Vienna with an uncle to watch Brazil on TV demolish Sweden with a very young Pele showing the world what a superb player he was.

In 1962 I had to listen to the game at home on the radio, as I was preparing for an exam at school, when Brazil won again playing against Czechoslovakia.

I was in Australia in 1966, when England beat Germany in the final after scoring that still controversial goal late in the game. And again I had to listen to the game on the radio again, late at night lying in bed in a worker’s hostel in Australia.

In 1970 I watched Brazil winning against Italy. By then I had my own place in Australia and could watch the final on TV at home.

In 1974 I watched Germany beat Holland late at night on my TV again, after coming home from work.

In 1978 Argentina won against unlucky Holland, being runners-up again for the second time.

In 1982 Italy beat Germany and I have disliked Italian football ever since, as they always play such defensive football.

In 1986 Argentina beat Germany in Mexico. I thought Germany should have won, but Argentina scored a late goal with not enough time left for Germany to strike back.

In 1990 Germany got its revenge, when they beat Argentina in the final played in Italy.

In 1994 the World Cup was played in the USA for the first time and Brazil added another title when they beat Italy, which I enjoyed a lot.

In 1998 a very impressive France beat Brazil, winning their first World Cup.

In 2002 I watched my first Wold Cup in Thailand on the big screen in the back of Tim’s Bar Beer a Go Go, when Germany lost against Brazil after the great Oliver Khan made a rare mistake by letting an easy goal in, which he would have normally stopped with his eyes closed.

Ditto in 2006 at Tim's when I watched the cheating Italians beat France. Germany played well beating Portugal for the third place.

In 2010 I watched every game in our condo in Jomtien with my soccer mad Thai woman. It would have been too much of an effort to visit bars at different times late at night. We set the alarm clock to wake up for all games shown late at night and then drank a lot of coffee. I did not mind watching the games with Thai commentators and also used the laptop at the same time, using the Bundesliga website to read their good commentary simultaneously. A very strong Spain beat another strong, but unfortunate Holland, being runners-up for the third time in a World cup. Germany were third again, after beating Uruguay, another team I dislike, because they try to win by cheating and try to inflict injuries to players from other teams, in my opinion. BTW, the last world cup was played in Germany, where they have excellent football arenas, nearly always filled to capacity with fanatical but fair football fans, even during Bundesliga fixtures. The USA played extremely well and would have advanced further with a bit of luck.

I know this mail is of no use to the converted experts on this thread, but it might help some of the members less convinced what a great game football is and so very important for the many addicts of the game.

I guess a South American team will win this year playing in a place more familiar to them and it might not be necessarily be Brazil either. Having said that, I hope a European team will win the World Cup and it and it does not have to be Germany either. France, Holland, England and a couple of other teams are all in with a chance to lift the cup.

I hope C T won’t be able to find too many errors in this short mail. :lsmile It is now time for me to go to bed. Good night.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am glad the two threads about the Wold Cup in Brazil have finally started. A bit of harmless banter is fine, but so far there has been too much of it, instead of discussing what will or could happe

Just like the previous WC, they are still pissing around trying to decide who will be transmitting the games. Since Scotland have decided to opt out, I still have to decide on a team to follow - I mi

You have to remember, the Scots have many years of experience of not supporting England during the World Cup. Developed from many years more of not supporting Scotland.

Posted Images

Good post Gonzo.

You remind us that even a decent lifespan doesn't contain all that many World Cups.

I didn't realise my old mate Gonzo was so old.

That explains a few things......:D

Of course 1966 sticks in my mind....stuck in the TV room of some boarding house in either Margate or Great Yarmouth as a kid a bit confused why my father was so excited and wondering where my mother had gone to in such a huff.

I hope C T won’t be able to find too many errors in this short mail.

Not at all ... I have fond memories of the 1970 WC qualifiers when Germany played Scotland in Hamburg and Helmut Haller displayed all the admirable qualities that are still evident in some Germans to this day. It still makes me chuckle ... :bhappy

Only banter ... :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom

Not at all ... I have fond memories of the 1970 WC qualifiers when Germany played Scotland in Hamburg and Helmut Haller displayed all the admirable qualities that are still evident in some Germans to this day. It still makes me chuckle ... :bhappy

Only banter ... :thumbup

I especially like the Wold Cup game between Germany and Scotland in 1986. Some still very famous names of high quality players in those two teams. Cheers mate. :thumbup

I especially like the Wold Cup game between Germany and Scotland in 1986. Some still very famous names of high quality players in those two teams. Cheers mate. :thumbup

Quite. Who would have thought that your goalkeeper would go on to become the World F1 Champion. :thumbup

I preferred the goal by Tom Boyd in 1998.

Quite. Who would have thought that your goalkeeper would go on to become the World F1 Champion. :thumbup

CT mate, you are trying to have a lend of me. I don't believe that you really think that I don't know the difference between Harald and Michael Schumacher. Both were great sportsman and sometimes bullies, especially Harald, after he knocked that poor French player out. cold during a World Cup match in 1982. :llaugh

CT mate, you are trying to have a lend of me. I don't believe that you really think that I don't know the difference between Harald and Michael Schumacher. Both were great sportsman and sometimes bullies, especially Harald, after he knocked that poor French player out. cold during a World Cup match in 1982.

Hang on! Who's the Ralph character then? :ninja:

Hi,

I have fond memories of the 1982 WC. Italy failing to win a game in the group games, knocking out Brazil 3-2 when a draw would have got Brazil through. Beating Germany in the final. Paulo Rossi, who had served a 2 year ban for corruption winning the World Cup for Italy. Redemption! Everything good and bad about Italian football was in the World Cup. The best of all IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V1jb4ob8cU

Hi,

I have fond memories of the 1982 WC. Italy failing to win a game in the group games, knocking out Brazil 3-2 when a draw would have got Brazil through. Beating Germany in the final. Paulo Rossi, who had served a 2 year ban for corruption winning the World Cup for Italy. Redemption! Everything good and bad about Italian football was in the World Cup. The best of all IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V1jb4ob8cU

Fair enough, Rossi was a superstar scoring his three goals against Brazil, but in my opinion he should have been banned for life for match fixing instead of only getting 2 years so he could play in the 1982 World Cup.

What about that cheating cunt taking a dive in extra time to get a penalty against Australia in 2006 when the score was 0:0. He should have been red carded and sent off. What a dickhead of a referee. The Italians should not have been allowed to win the 2006 World Cup. :angry2

Hang on! Who's the Ralph character then? :ninja:

If you google will find out that Ralf was Michael's younger brother, not a bad F1 driver himself. :thumbup

Edited by Gonzo

Was he the goalie? They appear to be quite a talented family.

CT mate, let's cut out the bullshit and talk about football. :thumbup

Edited by Gonzo

Hi,

I gave Italy to win it on here so I hope some boardies had a win. Very good result for me. I prefer to remember the great performance v Brazil.

What about that cheating cunt taking a dive in extra time to get a penalty against Australia in 2006 when the score was 0:0.

Edited by wacmedia

Hi,

the great

I gave Italy to win it on here so I hope some boardies had a win. Very good result for me. I prefer to remember the great performance v Brazil.

Sorry for drawing a comparison between that great Italian side in 1982 and that infamous incident when your team played against Australia in 2006.

You would have been less than happy when Italy played against Spain in the Euro Cup final in 2012. :lsmile

http://youtu.be/Ud0--48F9ag

CT mate, let's cut out the bullshit and talk about football. :thumbup

Tommy Gemmel's size 10s being put to good use again! An incredible achievement ... all of the team were born within 30 miles of each other.

Tommy Gemmel's size 10s being put to good use again! An incredible achievement ... all of the team were born within 30 miles of each other.

I had a good workmate from the Gorbals in Glasgow. He was as tough as nails and a hard worker in the tropical sun on the wharves or on the rig tenders. Jock (James) would talk at times all day long about his beloved Celtic if you let him and would go mad when I happened to mention Glasgow Rangers. He died from alcoholic poisoning only a few month ago in Darwin after living in Angeles City for 12 years. We both retired at the same time in 1999, after getting a very good redundancy deal from the oil companies. When he returned to Darwin late last year we met again and he only looked like a shadow of his former self. He kept on drinking and cursing right until he died. I think I was his only real friend, as I had no problems with his abusive ways of treating other people including myself. He was quite intelligent and read books all day long, even when he was on the piss, which was most of the time. He had a huge collection of music, which he copied for me onto cassettes and later onto DVDs. His favourite band was the Rolling Stones. He knew every word of their songs and would sing along all day long in his broad Scottish accent. Another of his favourites was of course Rod Stewart, another great Celtic supporter.

Yes, Rod's one of the best Scottish singers around. He supports Man U too.

Yes, and was born in Highgate.

Really??

Then both his parents must be scottish…..

Father Scot, mother English.

Edited by jacko