Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

The World Cup is in a very glamorous setting this year, Brazil. I’m sure some on here find Brazilian women almost as hot as our Thai ladies so there are a few reasons to go if one has the money and the time. However, it’s a dangerous country, especially if you are a “rich” falang so be careful of the muggers and the famous ladyboys! Unless ladyboys is your thing, of course.

Tim Vickery, who knows more about South America than I do, says that Uruguay and Belgium have a good draw as regards the weather. Both look good enough to qualify out of the group stages so. On the same subject he says Italy and Germany have a bad schedule. Germany disappointed me in the Euros and with this information I have to discount them in this tournament as well. Italy was my greatest success on here when I tipped them to win at 12/1.

England have picked some good young players and I hope they are played. This can only be seen as a preparation for the European Championships and Roy Hodgson has plenty of experience with Switzerland in these events so they should do ok without setting the world on fire.

France are another team who seem to be getting ready for the next European Championships which are on home soil. They have a nice looking squad and will gain some vital experience. Franck Ribery, one of the best in the World in my opinion, is injured and out of the tournament which is a shame.

Spain, the defending champions, and my selection last time, seem to have a fair chance of defending their crown. If you look at their team its hard to see any weaknesses in it and they have experience of winning the big ones at club and International level. I wouldn’t put anyone off backing Spain.

Belgium are a team who seem to have a great crop of young players at the moment. In Hazard and Lukaku they have two great offensive players and have Kompany marshalling their defence, I expect them to perform with credit.

As a gambler I’m contrarian by nature so have to oppose Brazil. I think they are over hyped and the team has changed since their glory days. The players seem to be more focused on personal wealth than doing it for the country, a bit like the African teams like Ivory Coast. Brazil seem to have the greatest strength in depth if one counts the top 100 players in a country. Great players, like Deco and Eduardo, decided to play for other countries as it is so hard to get into the Brazilian team. Costa is the first player who would have been chosen but has decided to play for Spain.

Columbia and Chile seem to be fancied to do well by most pundits. Columbia have the ex Argentinean manager, Pekerman, as their leader and that should be a plus for them. Falcao, the best finisher in the world in my opinion, is out injured and that puts me off them. Chile are likely to meet Brazil in the round of 16. Enough said !

Uruguay are waiting on Suarez who is injured and if he comes back fit and well Uruguay will be hard to beat in their group. Having lost Falcao from the tournament it would be a shame if we lost another of the greats from the finals.

Russia have a home grown team and I know little about them. They have the excellent Capello as manager however and should at least get to the round of 16.

USA have drawn the Group of Death, and I have no words of comfort for our American cousins I’m afraid.

Argentina have two of my favourite players, Kun Aquero and Messi, in their team. I don’t think their defence is as bad as many suggest it is. A team with those two, plus the bustling Higuain and the fast, hardworking De Maria, who has had a great season with Real in Spain, are difficult to oppose and they are my selection for the World Cup this time around.

Good luck if you have a bet. In England I find Bet 365 to be the best bookmaker to deal with. Paddy Power seem to be pretty good as well, for most people, but I’ve had some bad experience with them. Most people like them, however. I find William Hill have the best betting slips if you are having a small bet in a betting shop. Bon Chance!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Group of death lol. Try group G for a real challenge.   Looks like the lowest ranked team will win the group.

Hi,   The World Cup is in a very glamorous setting this year, Brazil. I’m sure some on here find Brazilian women almost as hot as our Thai ladies so there are a few reasons to go if one has the mone

Saintly Mrs Gonzo was smart enough to have a good sleep last night instead of watching the poor games shown. She seems to know more about football than I do. One thing is for sure, if it would not hav

Posted Images

Thanks for starting this off……… I'll have a think as to who I want to curse by tipping them to win.

Edited by atlas2

USA Group G only has to beat Portugal #4 or Germany #2 haha. Yeah, it's going to be a short WC for USA, I fear.

Composed on a mobile phone.

My thoughts are Brazil too.

The home advantage in a Country that is absolutely football mad.

I was in a rural poor town there and when there was a game on, the only bar with a viewable TV used to cause a street blockage.

I was thinking about placing a few sentimental bets for the WC, so I went thru the signup for bet365, only to discover after I'd filled in all the relevant info, that citizens of my country are not allowed to use bet365!

Sometimes being a yank is a real burden.

Was thinking about a small bet on USA at 225/1 just out of loyalty.

Also FYI, www.bet365.com is blocked by the Thai govt, yet mobile.bet365.com is not!

Composed on a mobile phone.

I was thinking about placing a few sentimental bets for the WC, so I went thru the signup for bet365, only to discover after I'd filled in all the relevant info, that citizens of my country are not allowed to use bet365! Sometimes being a yank is a real burden. Was thinking about a small bet on USA at 225/1 just out of loyalty.Also FYI, www.bet365.com is blocked by the Thai govt, yet mobile.bet365.com is not! Composed on a mobile phone.

Did the same myself 3-4 years ago. I have a reliable site I use (gtbets), but the wagers offered for footie are very limited compared to bet 365 so often have to go through a friend.

I think the USA has a tough draw but a better chance to get out of their group than many are giving them. I will be in SA for the quarters through finals, so hoping some local teams can make it pretty far. I may bet some teams to make the quarters or semis like Belgium, Colombia.

• Upvote 1

England have so little chance this time that for me it will be the first WC without any rational reason for hope. I'll hope nonetheless buggar it!

There's a good chance the US could do well. If they beat Portugal and we could then watch them fly.

Normally in a thread like this Fatboyfat would be chiming in but I see his last post coincided with Tom's…??

Edited by atlas2

Why is the list incomplete?

Glyn.

Hi,

I only included the teams I think have a chance and a few, like USA and England who boardies may want to vote for.

You did not include Australia......and as an Aussie, we have NO chance!

History says WC in South America - then back a South American country - Brazil, Argentina etc

Cluster

As many of the games will be early morning… beer, (unusually), is not a natural partner for the matches. So today I bought myself a little stovetop Moka coffee maker from 'Friendship' and some ground Brazilian coffee…... Mmmmn the smell of Brazil….. Fresh coffee cutting through the fug of a night of atlas farts.

I also purchased a supply of small croissants for the freezer…….I've discovered that when a single cadburys' chocolate button is inserted into my gob alongside a bite of butter croissant, the taste is close to heavenly and will be a welcome relief from the diet of fingernails I expect to consume during England's games.

All this for three matches….

Now where can I buy some England pajamas??

Edited by atlas2

Hi,

The last time the WC was in Brazil it was won by Uruguay. I'd say they have done lots for football with only a few million people. Scotland have done well as well.

Hi,

The last time the WC was in Brazil it was won by Uruguay. I'd say they have done lots for football with only a few million people. Scotland have done well as well.

As usual the Brits did their bit for football……..in Uruguay….

The sport was first introduced by British immigrants and expatriates in the 19th century. Some references say that the game had been introduced in 1880, at the English High School by Henry Castle Ayre.[1] Henry Castle Ayre was born in Bedminster in March 1852.[2] The first Uruguayan club team (Albion FC) was established at Montevideo, by an English teacher at the William Leslie Poole School in 1882.[3] Uruguay is a country with a population that currently does not exceed more than four million, and features a large concentration of professional football teams in the city of Montevideo..

​Our 'bit' could come back and bite us…….. Even though I reckon HC Ayre would have banned Suarez for life (and I would have too), I hope he plays against England. Win or lose let's face whoever's their best.

As usual the Brits did their bit for football……..in Uruguay….

​Our 'bit' could come back and bite us…….. Even though I reckon HC Ayre would have banned Suarez for life (and I would have too), I hope he plays against England. Win or lose let's face whoever's their best.

Hi,

If one was a conspiracy theorist one would wonder about that tackle on him from the unknown Newcastle player. Looked very dodgy.

He will be playing and I bet he scores.

Not sure what to make of this……….

It's going to number one in the UK. The affection for Rik Mayall right now, our love of self-depreciation and for the England team will ensure that.

All I can say is I've never seen a World Cup song like it. Henry V (Act 111) for today.

Edited by atlas2