Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

I drove through it all yesterday and it was worse than previously. The reason appears to be work going on outside of the main tunnel construction close to the pavements in both directions. I think this was modifications or installations of electrical cables, so the traffic was being choked further. It is a bit dodgy on a bike, sure you can wend your way through but beware at weekends when Bangkok drivers are in the mix. They seem to be more aggressive and don't like to give way. Another thing to beware of would be people making their way home early or late evening, there is a chance they have been drinking, likely heavily, and patience becoming thin. I had 2 incidents (elsewhere not by the tunnel) over the weekend where I came across someone driving drunk as a skunk, no lights, on and off the road, and another where I believe a group of a few lads who had been at Bira or somewhere up Hwy 36 were coming home in their Nissan with a spoiler and noisy exhaust, looking for a bit of trouble and racing. Driving here is getting dodgier, and you are on your own out there.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

Thanks for the update. Quite infuriating that stopping is still happening on Sukhumvit exacerbating the traffic choking. I saw one pickup had just stopped at the side, put on his hazard lights, and got out talking to workers at the pavement area in the midst of the construction. The traffic behind was nigh stationary as everyone struggled to get into one lane. The guy presumably could not give a shit he was holding up many hundreds of people. Minibuses still pick-up and drop off. Yet the police were further down stopping traffic, so the odd car could get out of Index! An area to be avoided in rush hour when in a car or truck!

We are about 9 months in, anyone interested in a sweepstakes on the official tunnel opening date?

Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...

Poster on another board had links to these articles on the construction here, and in Phuket.

Sukhumvit-Central tunnel 15% complete

Sidewalks repaired in Sukhumvit construction zone

Phuket underpass tunnelling delayed by rains

Steer clear: Locals plan on-site protest of underpass delays

Work progressing slowly here. Pics from yesterday afternoon.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

• Upvote 3

That does look chaotic.......

We shall see traffic issues as we head into the high season and nicer weather.

15% complete?

When did they announce the 3 year completion date, i.e., when did the clock start on this 3 years?

It's been a year or so, and at 15% complete, it looks like at least 5 more years of this.

Yes i thought it was three years for all three planned underpasses. That means nine years of chaos or if martin is right then 18 years of chaos. Fucking glad i don't live on the darkside.

I am pretty sure it was 3 years for this one underpass, and then I expect more of the same elsewhere.

Thread started at the beginning of February 2015, and at that time construction was 'well under-way'.

I think we are well on schedule for a late finish!

• 3 weeks later...

A few snaps of the construction progress from earlier today.

IMG_0004.jpg

Wonder what height restriction they'll have on the underpass. The trusses seem a bit low for anything higher than an SUV.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Backhoe looks like he got stuck backing out of the way of the hole digger

IMG_0019.jpg

No worries though. Did a self rescue with a push of the bucket

IMG_0021.jpg

Can see in the background they're almost ready to concrete in another roof section.

IMG_0024.jpg

• Upvote 3

Seems to be moving along well!

Quite sure the underpass will need to be able to handle trucks and coaches..... but you have given me an idea for a future sweepstake. How long after opening will a vehicle over the height restriction take to hit the tunnel roof?

• 3 weeks later...

Update from this afternoon.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

A poster on another forum had snapped some of the same views from three days earlier. I noticed something in one those pictures I'd not seen before, and that was a gap in the south fencing. So today I kicked my mtn bike into high gear and peddled down Suk, executed a sidling u-turn in the dust and gravel, and sure enough the way in to the south side of the construction site was wide open. Peddled up unchallenged to the new road surface and snapped off a few exclusive first shots of the exit of the underpass.

IMG_0013.jpg

As you can see in these shots the view from the north is deceptive in that the overhead trusses are actually quite high in relation to the road surface.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Cute kids, but the middle one was definitely scared of the stranger in their midst.

IMG_0022.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Pics of the new, temp bridge and views from the new vantage point.

IMG_0001.jpg

If you're vertically blessed, or carrying an umbrella, better remember to duck as you exit the temp bridge on the east side.

IMG_0002.jpg

They've started work on demolishing the old bridge.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

The new bridge is taking shape.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

New vantage point is now closer to the action.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_00010.jpg

IMG_00011.jpg

Measure twice...

IMG_0019.jpg

Bend once.

IMG_0020.jpg

• Upvote 2

I am a little confused by that new pedestrian crossing.

There appear to be steps to get up and down right in the middle, ie on the top of the tunnel, An area I thought would be for traffic turning right in and out of the junctions like Klang and Soi Siam CC/Nerm Plab Wan. Has anyone seen a plan of the proposed end result yet? Perhaps they could put a roundabout there, we know how well those work in Pattaya.

Temporary access for the workers?

Those stairs are not yet concrete, we know how much the Thai construction industry loves concrete.

Yes you could be right. I rode past yesterday and closer up the fixture looks more temporary.

Yes you could be right. I rode past yesterday and closer up the fixture looks more temporary.

The white bridge is temporary. The permanent bridge is the one under construction in the pic below. Construction on the support posts on either side of Suk has also begun, one of which you can see in this pic.

post-19562-0-90219100-1452957688.jpg

• Upvote 1

The old walkover bridge is now history.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

While work on the new bridge appears to have stalled.

IMG_0003.jpg

The support columns have looked like this for the past couple of weeks.

IMG_004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I'm guessing on this, but at the Klang intersection it looks like an overhead track has been constructed for lifting and assembly of the heavy underpass components.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Pouring concrete for another section of the underpass roof.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like they've started digging out the north end underpass.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Can't make it out in this pic, but there's a backhoe working under the concrete roof.

IMG_0003.jpg

Slow going on the construction of the new overhead walkway.

IMG_0004.jpg

They've started the pour on the walkway support posts either side of Suk.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

View to the south...

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I realize the electric lines are insulated and tied off to non-conductive ceramic posts, but TIT and I don't think I'll chance walking on the metal temporary walkway when it's raining.

IMG_0019.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Construction update. Digging out the underpass continues.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Not much going on to the north.

IMG_0027.jpg

A couple of workers enjoying the down time.

IMG_0029.jpg

The new walkway is getting closer to done.

IMG_0030.jpg

No need to hurry on the walkway as the support posts either side of Suk still need to be completed.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

• Upvote 1

Were those pics taken before or after the heavy rainstorm we had Tuesday?

Just wondering as I believe it was enough to cause flooding on Sukhumvit near Tai.

It looks like I better get used to the small road, 1096 south of Pattaya. That takes me to Sukhumvit highway south of Chaiyapruk. It's out of the way but it avoids the worst part of the long drive from Loei. From highway 7 to Chaiyapruk is the worst part of a 650 kilometer drive. Does anyone think traffic will be better even after the tunnel is finished? I'm not convinced that the tunnel will not flood after a rain.