Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

Had to go to Numchai yesterday to buy a '1 cup hot water dispenser'...(great time and electricity saver)......and my little Yaris had to negotiate said 'ditch' with extreme care.

Traffic was running smoothly on Suk' however and the 8th Wonder of the World did indeed look complete.

I also drove through there again last night, looks like the resurfacing has started as there was a layer of tarmac down. Traffic at that point was heavy going and slow but I think that was due to a Nakhonchai bus maneuvering into the bus station. Although it helped me last night, I also realized there will still be ruddy great coaches making U-Turns just South of there as most want to get to places just South of Klang on the other side.

Edited by jacko

I also drove through there again last night, looks like the resurfacing has started as there was a layer of tarmac down. Traffic at that point was heavy going and slow but I think that was due to a Nakhonchai bus maneuvering into the bus station. Although it helped me last night, I also realized there will still be ruddy great coaches making U-Turns just South of there as most want to get to places just South of Klang on the other side.

That sounds like poor planning.

That sounds like poor planning.

I've been thinking the same thing, poor planning if they keep that u-turn open after the underpass is opened. As it is now, as soon as south bound traffic passes the concrete barrier that separates top side and underpass traffic, they make a bee line to the far right lane, solid white lane marking lines be damned. That's going to be a recipe for disaster once the underpass opens. Top side traffic trying to cross lanes for the u-turn will be at odds with traffic coming out of the underpass at speed.

A lot less evidence of work above ground. Also, some additional signage about dangerous cargo being prohibited in the tunnel. They may be getting close.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the tunnel is stil not open. I have been told the dealy is with some of the services and safety features... like lighting, fume extraction and fire detection.

There is a U-Turn opportunity if you are heading north just before Siam CC Rd, at the Bangkok Bank sub branch. Bikes could use the same place if they were previously heading South too. Someone has moved the barriers out of the way, whether legitimately or not who knows.

Edited by jacko

Latest news on the underpass construction. LOL quote from the article, "The tunnel is 470 meters wide and 1.9 kilometers long". Someone still hasn't figured out how to use a tape measure, or exercise a bit of critical thinking.

http://pattayaone.ne...testing-stages/

Pattaya Underpass is in the “final testing” stages

June 11, 2017

Final testing is underway on the 837-million-baht Central Road underpass, but when it will open remains anyone’s guess.

Somchai Panpao, an architect on the Sukhumvit Road project, said June 2 that construction is complete, but security, lighting and drainage systems are still being tested.

Deputy Mayor Bandit Khunajak said May 30 that the decision on when the tunnel will open is up to the contractors and the Department of Rural Roads. Once they are certain all systems are working perfectly, they will give the green light.

The tunnel is 470 meters wide and 1.9 kilometers long and is Thailand’s longest underpass. Fully packed with technology, closed-circuit cameras are installed throughout to prevent crime, and to provide aid during emergencies. There are two smart CCTV cameras that will send an emergency signal if they detect any collisions. Security staff will be on standby around the clock.

Somchai added a “jet fan” to power the ventilation system, which also remains under testing. They also are doing final checks on fire sensors and smoke detectors. The tunnel has six stations where high-pressure water hoses are available in case of fire.

The tunnel is lit with more than 1,000 lamps up to 400 watts bright. The walls also have been soundproofed.

Answering the most common question – will the tunnel flood like everywhere else in Pattaya – Somchai said the entrances to the tunnel are in the shape of an “overturned pan” so that water doesn’t flow down. In case of extreme floods, pumps have been installed to catch any overflow.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The tunnel still isn't open. The U-Turn opposite The Bangkok Bank is full width now, so we have the huge coaches struggling to change from Northbound to Southbound there. For the other direction bikes can get through opposite Klang, but that means many bikes are trying to do-or-dare dash across to get onto Pattaya Klang and into town, crossing the full Northerly flow of Sukhumvit. Both these are disasters waiting to happen and I predict an accident or two soon will force the powers that be to get their fingers out of the proverbial and get the damned thing opened!

Edited by jacko

Noticed early last night on the way to the DS the Klang intersection traffic lights were on and the intersection open to cars with all the barricades removed. SCC intersection is still closed, but the U-Turn at the intersection is open.

It also didn't take long for the new intersection to have its first accident. Coming back around 01:30 police had southbound lanes blocked while they cleaned up the aftermath of an accident between a couple of cars. From the looks of things one of the drivers didn't notice the traffic lights were on and ran a red light with predictable results.

View to the south and the newly opened Klang intersection.
35368538291_f038b07c75_b.jpg

Until they open the underpass for thru traffic, the Klang intersection for southbound traffic is a choke point. There's five lanes approaching the intersection, but three are reserved for u-turn and right turning traffic onto Klang. And there's no sneaking through the left most right turn lane as a traffic light island effectively blocks that lane from thru traffic
35332156722_2840cdb2dc_b.jpg

View to the north.
35332157172_32795626e7_b.jpg

And a final shot of dolphins leaping for joy the underpass might finally open soon.
35499292975_cb7e841d27_b.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Upvote 4

Until they open the underpass for thru traffic, the Klang intersection for southbound traffic is a choke point. There's five lanes approaching the intersection, but three are reserved for u-turn and right turning traffic onto Klang. And there's no sneaking through the left most right turn lane as a traffic light island effectively blocks that lane from thru traffic

35332156722_2840cdb2dc_b.jpg

Of course two or three cars are doing exactly that ... TIT. Good photos

• Upvote 1

Excellent pics mate. Thanks very much..

I am now tempted to walk down Suk from Wat Dam and see if I can manage to get up that foot bridge and enjoy the view in person...

• 2 weeks later...

In most of America (different states and municipalities may differ) the traffic light island would be converted o an overhead signal so that traffic could flow through and permit a right turn. Perhaps there is a problem with Pattaya Klang that prevents this. An extra turn lane could create a blockage that could back up into the main roadway.

The photos are very nice. The landscaping is nicely done. I asked before what some things were for. I was told it was for and overhead tram system of some sort. Now it looks like it might have been plumbing for the dolphin pool.

When is the tunnel expected to open?

. I was told it was for and overhead tram system of some sort. Now it looks like it might have been plumbing for the dolphin pool.

I hope you weren't refering to me joshing about a monorail earlier in the thread....

I hope you weren't refering to me joshing about a monorail earlier in the thread....

If it was a comment in response to my question then I admit to being a lame dupe (but not an over payer).

:P

New problems for the underpass. Another fine example of quality Thai engineering and workmanship.

Pattaya Tunnel being repaired for water problems before it has even opened

The Department of Rural Road have been digging up the exit from Pattaya’s much vaunted tunnel after they noticed water damage to the road surface.

I’m sure this will come as a complete shock to, well, absolutely no one, as the final completion date looks set to get pushed back even further.

The tunnel – supposed to finally open next month – has not had a single car pass through but is already being repaired.

The authorities are blaming the latest setback on some, and I quote, “rogue underground water”.

It will all mean a delay of at least another week as the side leading to Chonburi is repaired.

The 800 million baht tunnel has been constructed over many years. Last month it was reported that it would finally open in August.

Siam Chon news said yesterday that repairs would take a week though they were unsure what that meant for the opening date.

tunner-prob.jpg?resize=696%2C464

• Upvote 1

Yes, just reading Pattaya tunnel being repaired before it's even open, rather ironic.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears they now know the source of the "rogue water".

Major Sukhumvit roadwork ahead near tunnel

The Department of Rural Roads will take about two weeks to dig up Sukhumvit Road and stop ground water from bubbling to the surface.

A section of Sukhumvit near the entrance to the Redemptorist Vocational School has subsided due to underground water washing away the foundation of the busy thoroughfare. Locals complain the area is always wet, even when it hasn’t rained for days.

Somchai Panpao, architect and advisor to Central Road bypass tunnel project, said the water leakage is natural and was not caused by tunnel work nor broken pipes. Pattaya is not far above sea level and ground water is bubbling to the surface.

He said the leak has not affected the tunnel in any way.

Rural Roads Department workers said the job would be a big one, as they need to not only identify where the water was coming from, but devise a way to plug the leak. That, and resurfacing the road, would take about two weeks, they estimated.

Meanwhile, pipes have been installed to shuttle away excess water from the area.

road.jpg?resize=696%2C458

• Upvote 1

Is it open yet????

Is it open yet????

Nope. Another report had them trying for an August opening. Hope they open the underpass soon as they've really fucked up traffic since they turned on the traffic lights at the Klang intersection. On weekend afternoons traffic is really backed up both ways waiting for a green light.

• 2 weeks later...

Well on Sunday I had to pass by this way so thought great, I can turn right off Sukhumvit onto Klang, helped by the lights, rather than pass by and make a dangerous U-Turn amidst the coaches queuing to get into rubber perverts world. But nope... the lights have been set to flash and concrete blocks set to prevent turns into Klang. You can squeeze through on a bike but you risk your life trying to get across the Northbound Sukhumvit traffic into Klang.. it's a chicken run.

Coming back the other way, as traffic was light I bypassed the shit by going to the end of Arunothai, and straight across at the lights onto Yume and right at the 7-11, onto Sukhumvit passing the Radi Mansion.

I can understand them doing this to keep Sukhumvit moving while they dick around scratching their nuts over opening the tunnel, but FFS get on with it!

Well on Sunday I had to pass by this way so thought great, I can turn right off Sukhumvit onto Klang, helped by the lights, rather than pass by and make a dangerous U-Turn amidst the coaches queuing to get into rubber perverts world. But nope... the lights have been set to flash and concrete blocks set to prevent turns into Klang. You can squeeze through on a bike but you risk your life trying to get across the Northbound Sukhumvit traffic into Klang.. it's a chicken run.

Coming back the other way, as traffic was light I bypassed the shit by going to the end of Arunothai, and straight across at the lights onto Yume and right at the 7-11, onto Sukhumvit passing the Radi Mansion.

I can understand them doing this to keep Sukhumvit moving while they dick around scratching their nuts over opening the tunnel, but FFS get on with it!

I think it was early last week they got smart and turned off the lights and blocked the turn onto Klang from Suk. Hard to believe and understand why they haven't opened the underpass yet.