Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Bronx Pizza on Soi Diana

1.jpg

Bronx Pizza sells thin-crust, New York-style pizza by the slice or 18" (large) pie.

2.jpg

It's located on Soi Diana near the corner of 2nd Road, across the street from Natalie's Bar, which is between Beefeater and Papagayo.

3.jpg

While Bronx Pizza has a couple of tables and a few counter seats, it's mostly set up for take-away by the slice. That's what's most "New York" about Bronx Pizza - it was in New York City that pizza by-the-slice got its start in the early years of the 20th century. Until the end of WWII, most pizza was sold as take-away food, whether by the slice or pie. It wasn't until the 1950s that pizzerias as sit-down restaurants spread outside of Little Italy and other Italian neighborhoods.

4.jpg

The slices I've had from Bronx Pizza have been OK, especially when you consider the price is two slices for 99 baht. The pics show a slice of Margherita and what's called Bronx pizza.

5.jpg

Both have extremely thin crusts with a minimal amount of tomato sauce and mozzzarella. The Margherita was topped with fresh garlic and tomatoes, basil and olive oil, while the Bronx was covered with Italian sausage and slices of fresh green peppers and onion. The basil on the Margherita was burned, but it didn't taste bad. In fact, the combination of cheese, tomato sauce and toppings was good on both slices. It didn't reach any peaks of pizza perfection, but was better than most of what is available in Pattaya.

6.jpg

The problem with the slices was the crust. It was almost too thin and crispy to the point of brittleness. The crust wasn't burned, just over-baked. That's a difficulty with a lot of pizza sold by the slice. It has to go into the oven twice, once to bake it almost done, the second time to reheat it before serving. If the crust is paper thin, it can get too dry. What characterized New York pizza, among other things, was a crust that was charred on the underside but still a bit spongy in the upper layer so the slices could be folded in half and eaten without a knife and fork. Still today, a pizza slice is considered "street food" that is eaten standing or on the go.

Authenticity is a muddled and dubious concept and it would be silly to think you can find what is considered to be true New York pizza in Pattaya. For one thing, the original New York pizzas were baked in coal-fired brick ovens that achieved more than twice the temperature of a wood-fired or modern gas oven. The high temperature gave the pizzas a taste that can't be duplicated even in a wood-fired oven. Nowadays only about 20 of NYC'S 400 pizzerias still use coal-fired ovens because of environmental and safety regulations. To say a pizza isn't "authentic" New York style because it isn't baked like pizzas were 100 years ago is as absurd as saying a roast of beef isn't authentic because it wasn't roasted on a spit over an open fire.

Bottom line: Bronx Pizza slices are OK as a late-night snack, but only if you favor thin, dry, crispy crusts and don't have your expectations set too high. I prefer a Bronx Pizza slice over much of the soggy, tasteless pizza found in Pattaya.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

The pizza sold at Bronx Pizza is very similar to the pizza you get here in Sweden. Here 99% of all pizza is baked by immigrants from Middle East. I like this thin crust much more than the thick crust, which is called "pan pizza" here in Sweden.

I am into meat pizzas. How are those?

Do they have Round Table or Mountain Mike's over there?

No, you got Kiss restaurants or Pan Pan over there?

Edited by jacko

No, you got Kiss restaurants or Pan Pan over there?

:P

lol

Well they do have McDonald's, BK, KFC, Sizzler, etc.

Do they have any western pizza chains?

Pizza Hut?

Dominos?

Moderators are so mean!

;)

Got Pizza Hut for sure

I have been meaning to try Bronx Pizza but have really come to like Brooklyn Diners pizza when out, maybe i need to up my spirit of adventure?

Thanks for posting EP. Your opinion mimics my own.

When I first saw Bronx Pizza, I went in an had a chat with the owner. I had high hopes, but knew it wouldn't be great because as you mentioned, twice cooking pizza by the slice is never great, without exception.

Also, I find that if they have pizza names on the menu, like margherita, then I won't like it. The pizza places I find best in the States you order which toppings you like with some simply named pizzas like "meat" and "everything".

So even with my misgivings, I decided to give it a try. One plain, and one pepperoni slice. And I wasn't too happy with the results. Your description of the crust was spot on.

I still find the best pizzas in Pattaya are those I make myself at home. 100% control of the dough, sauce, and toppings.

I still find the best pizzas in Pattaya are those I make myself at home. 100% control of the dough, sauce, and toppings.

Yep I love my own cooked pizza as well. I even bought one of those The Pizza Maker ovens (small electric oven) bloody brilliant cooks a pizza in 10 mins or less.

Sorry to get off topic EP, good honest review as per usual.