Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Driving Licence Renewal 5-Year

Five hours, quite a chore really.

I will bring a cool box full of beer and sandwiches, perhaps some Yorkie's pork pies.

If you renew a 5 year licence but no longer have a long term visa, say you have a 30 day entry or TV perhaps. They will only give you a 2 year licence.

Five hours, quite a chore really.

I will bring a cool box full of beer and sandwiches, perhaps some Yorkie's pork pies.

Yes, another 5-hours of my life but it is one of those chores you have to do. I did take my ear phones to listen to some music and was also busy taking some notes and pics.

Foreigners queue at 07:30

20180215_073657 (Small).jpg

Waiting for my number at desk 11

20180215_082938 (Small).jpg

Doing the brake and colour test

20180215_111822 (Small).jpg

Mini TV Monitor

20180215_103646 (Small).jpg

Desk numbers 1 & 2

20180215_112923 (Small).jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My licences are due for renewal in a few months and I was expecting a straightforward if arduous and dull, experience.

What I have read here was to be my guide.

Reading a thread on Thaivisa today I read I MAY need a few more unexpected items.

1) To obtain a residence certificate from immigration, I will need a TM30 receipt slip.... I have never submitted a TM30 in my 12+ years here!

2) Starting in March (tomorrow), a new style medical certificate will be required for new and renewal applications.

Anybody know more of this?

Edited by jacko

I read the British Gov have been meddling in this process..........

Producing in conjunction with the Thais an English language film on Thai Road etiquette ...........A helpful film on the docs needed and process...........And it mentioned some kind of theory test........

I'm hoping the Thais say 'thank you' and basically change nothing.

This appeared on my google link on my Iphone about two weeks ago.

2) Starting in March (tomorrow), a new style medical certificate will be required for new and renewal applications.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) but on the new certificate they will have to say if you have high blood pressure (don't ask me how high is high) and perhaps eye sight test (not just the one at cop shop). They were going to make it more stringent I believe because of that guy who had an accident and said he had epilepsy.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) but on the new certificate they will have to say if you have high blood pressure (don't ask me how high is high) and perhaps eye sight test (not just the one at cop shop). They were going to make it more stringent I believe because of that guy who had an accident and said he had epilepsy.

It could use being stricter, when I got my tenp 2 years back, an old falang had trouble with the colour test. The tester asked if he couldn't see the colours, he said that was no problem, but he couldn't see the pointer! So she used her hand instead and he passed. Couldn't see a 1/2" stick from 8' away, but passed the eyesight test - appeared that her job was the colour test, so that was what she did, and all she did. There was a normal eye chart on the wall too, but no hint of using it.

If his sight was that bad (he was wearing glasses btw) then he shouldn't be on the road. Never mind that he was shaking the whole time too, looked like Parkinsons or similar.

• 2 months later...

I am off to renew my 5 year licences in a few weeks and the OP above is to be my guide...

I am unsure whether or not I need a medical certificate... above suggests not, anyone have any recent experience?

I live near this place and getting there is easy, and a friend recently reminded me of that fact, but I countered with, well you live in Jomtiem and your residence letter is a darned sight easier! I intend to just get a single residence letter for the 2 licences.

Edited by jacko

I went to Dr Oliviers yesterday. I noticed medical certificates for driving licenses is a service he still provides.... doesnt mean you still need one.

I have to go in October.

My birthday is now sadly the same day the king died.

I expect a closure and a whopping queue the day before or the day after.

If you go after your Bd Jacko confirm no hassle over this and an extra year.

The closure on my bd in that sense would be very helpful excuse for me.

Jaco, it depends on who you get at the entrance. I was told by the counter woman when I renewed that I needed one, tho I pointed out that their website said I didnt. "Out of date" was her response, so off I went to get one, a wasted few hours and a 32km trip. When I returned, a different lady who didnt ask for med certificate (which I had in my bag) and just gave me a number. For 100 baht I would save a possible extra trip and get one in advance.

Jaco, it depends on who you get at the entrance. I was told by the counter woman when I renewed that I needed one, tho I pointed out that their website said I didnt. "Out of date" was her response, so off I went to get one, a wasted few hours and a 32km trip. When I returned, a different lady who didnt ask for med certificate (which I had in my bag) and just gave me a number. For 100 baht I would save a possible extra trip and get one in advance.

It seems logical rather than getting messed about.... where did you get yours for only 100 baht?

I have been in and out of the BHP for a dental issue a lot recently and have to go just before I do the licence, they check my BP every time and charge me for the privilege.. I just don't see them doing a med cert for only100!

It is mildly curious that renewal of a five year license is so much more onerous than the procedure for getting the initial license. Perhaps the theory is that after seven years in Pattaya you are likely to be completely broken down.

• 3 weeks later...

Documents required:

Passport.

Car and Motorbike Licences.

Copy of licences front and back.

Residence Cert from Immigration.

Copy of residence Cert. (one each for car and motorbike)

Passport face page 2-off

TM 6 Card 2-off

Did not need:

Copies of Visa.

Old Passport or copy of old Passport (number on old licence)

I am afraid your list did not work for me! I got to about 08.50.

The lady at the desk there is quite particular, and was already giving an Australian a hard time over his original Oz licence.

She wouldn't accept the pictoral categories it defined even though he had a Google page giving details and explanations.

For my case, renewing 2x 5 year licences, living here on a retirement extension:-

All copies must be signed, and another form was given for each licence and I was told to write my name and phone number across the top... go away from desk.

On return and wait I was given back one residence certificate copy and the 2 copies of my TM6 card, not needed.

Instead they wanted 2 copies of my current retirement extension stamp.. signed you bet!

For that, you have to go outside and across to the small shops opposite and persuadee someone to get off their phone.

Back upstairs to desk 11 with the copies and my passport, wait after a couple of guys, she shuffles my paperwork, takes the new copies and the passport and gives me the red ticket number 62, and told to come back in the afternoon at 1pm for 'Training'...

All full already.

Fortunately I live relatively close to the place, so not the worst thing in the world, but an afternoon of my life I wanted to make use of, is no longer mine!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2

Did this yesterday

Photos above look positively civilised by comparison to the milling throngs of people I had to endure. Was what I imagine a Chinese fire drill to be like :lol:

Yes it all appears a bit chaotic but it gets done!

My afternoon session wasn't too bad, just a little over 2 hours. I was the second in line of those who got postponed to the afternoon group, which put me at the front.

Arrived just before 1pm... go sit in Test room 1.

About 1pm we are all herded out like sheep and cramped into the testing area.

My low number meant I was second in line.

Color blindness test, and depth perception, I failed the depth first time and was warned, fail twice, go home, come back tomorrow.

That would have been great! Luckily passed. Go back to room 1.

Talking with an Oz guy he told me there is a little green ligjht you can see when the two sticks are aligned, didn't notice that!

No speed/reaction braking test, bet it's broken!

Room filled up and then we got to watch an hours long DVD, excrutiating!

Guy comes in and you get to sign a paper per licence, but he nags you to check the details first, while keeping his hand over it!

Passport returned.

Go outside room, pay, photo, pick up licences.

I did get a few days under 6 years as it was just after my birthday.

Jobs a good 'un.

Edited by jacko

Much the same (but more bodies)

Banal movie with YouTube stolen fake crashes (all perpetrated by farangs). Illegible subtitles on a TV from someone's cast offs (I have larger PC monitor).

I did wonder about the fail twice, come back tomorrow rationale - can defective depth perception be cured overnight? :rolleyes: (Maybe a special spell or incantation from a Mor Doo)

• 5 years later...

So arrived in Udon Thani on Monday and got the  new car and bike licences today.

Monday: Medical certificates (200 baht, 100 baht each), 30 minutes

Tuesday: Residence certificates (1000 bbaht, 500 baht each) 30 minutes

Wednesday: Driver's licences (760 baht, car 505 baht and motor bike 255 baht) 90 minutes. This would have only taken 30 minutes as well but the licences referenced my old passport and not my new one. I didn't have my old passport or a photo of it so my mum had to go around to my house in Australia and take a photo of the old passport which they then accepted.

So what was needed for each licence: Medical certificate, Residence certificate, copy of my passport main page, visa page and the page with entry stamp. Also had to the online DLT training and show a copy of the QR code showing it was completed. Also needed to show them the QR code for the booking appointment time for today. 

• Upvote 1