Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

50 years of the 747

OK, I know I'm a bit late, but the Queen of the Skies has recently hit her half century.

Good article here, plus some period pics, my oh my, hasn't Airline travel changed in 50 years!!.

https://www.treehugger.com/aviation/happy-50th-anniversary-boeing-747-it-changed-aviation-forever.html

I've been lucky enough to fly on numerous 747's, a 747 SP (RFO / SOAF) , 747 200 (Pan Am) 747-300 (Qantas and SAA), 747 400 combi (EVA), Thai airways 747 "Phimara" (747 400). As time goes on there will be less and less flying commercially, at the time of writing only a few carriers operate passenger 747's out of LHR and they are currently phasing them out.

Nothing quite looks, sounds or has the presence of a 747. I'll probably not have a chance to fly on one again, and I for one will really miss the buzzsaw sound of those RB211's doing the business.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 2

I flew from Vancouver to Taipei for twelve years on EVA's 747 and enjoyed it - this was the last west coast route they used it on and it was just retired last year, now replaced with the 777 ER. I only managed to fly upstairs once but that was a real treat...

Loved the plane in its day but I was on a couple of EVA flights before they modernized their fleet and those takeoffs were shudderingly noisy.

You cant of been on any BA flights recently then!!!! Talk about ear-splitting noise!

Beautiful aircraft. Its days as a passenger airliner are numbered, but it will be flying for another 20 or 30 years or longer as a cargo plane. Over the last couple of years UPS ordered 28 of the 787-8F and as the cargo business recovers other will follow.

Edited by Samsonite

You cant of been on any BA flights recently then!!!! Talk about ear-splitting noise!

My last flight on an EVA 747 was just before they switched planes. One flight in business class on EVA on a 777 maybe a year after that. Not sure of the years. Is BA British Airways? I have never flown with them. It wouldn't make sense from the US west coast.

Was the noise on a 777? I always bring earplugs. The soft type. Work well enough.

747 is a great plane and I have enjoyed many a flight on them. Time moves on and the Airbus A380 is also a very nice plane. I often wonder why they never double decked the 747 all the way.

For both the Boeing 747-8 and the Airbus 380 to survive as passenger planes there would have to be a massive increase in the number of people wanting to fly. When the 747 was the only and the biggest jumbo and there was nothing or very little in between it and the smaller aircraft, the airlines were able to fill a 747.

With the improvements in engine fuel economy and reliability, composites and lighter weight aluminum alloys, the twin engine airliners cost less to operate (follow the money) and have taken over the passenger market. IIRC, one of the two new 777s, the 777-9, will almost be as long as the 747.

The passenger versions of the 747 will fade from service as will the A-380, but as the design of the 380 does not lend itself well to a cargo configuration, it may completely, eventually, be a memory. Things change, perhaps, in the future someone will consider a 380 cargo conversion, but unlikely, as it would be extremely expensive...... But, as I said, things change....

For both the Boeing 747-8 and the Airbus 380 to survive as passenger planes there would have to be a massive increase in the number of people wanting to fly. When the 747 was the only and the biggest jumbo and there was nothing or very little in between it and the smaller aircraft, the airlines were able to fill a 747.

With the improvements in engine fuel economy and reliability, composites and lighter weight aluminum alloys, the twin engine airliners cost less to operate (follow the money) and have taken over the passenger market. IIRC, one of the two new 777s, the 777-9, will almost be as long as the 747.

The passenger versions of the 747 will fade from service as will the A-380, but as the design of the 380 does not lend itself well to a cargo configuration, it may completely, eventually, be a memory. Things change, perhaps, in the future someone will consider a 380 cargo conversion, but unlikely, as it would be extremely expensive...... But, as I said, things change....

The 747-8i was a failure a a passenger aircraft, so much so that Boeing still have one they never managed to sell, LN1435 which was built for Lufthansa and they never took delivery.... Two others that never got delivered will end up as Air Force Ones..

The 747-8F will still be produced for a while, but for how long?

The 747-8i was a failure a a passenger aircraft, so much so that Boeing still have one they never managed to sell, LN1435 which was built for Lufthansa and they never took delivery.... Two others that never got delivered will end up as Air Force Ones..

https://theloadstar.co.uk/will-ups-order-save-747-8f-last-hurrah-jumbo/

Better options with newer planes for customers.

The 747 changed the world. Its day is behind us but should be celebrated.

Edited by midlifecrisis

As long as their are buyers. It is the only large cargo plane in production. Right now the777F, based on the 777-200LR, is very popular, but it doesn't have a nose door, so, as I said, cargo companies will continue to buy the 747-8F.

As long as their are buyers. It is the only large cargo plane in production. Right now the777F, based on the 777-200LR, is very popular, but it doesn't have a nose door, so, as I said, cargo companies will continue to buy the 747-8F.

But how often is the nose door used..... Most cargo doesn't require a nose door...The 777F or future 777XF will probably kill of the 747-8F.... Once UPS take their remaining aircraft on the order book that could be curtains the the -8F

Cargo planes fly for 30 to 40+ years, so brace yourself, the 747 will out live you.

:)

No doubt, but I was talking about it'll probably be curtains on the production line after the UPS order....

Nowadays Boeing are delivering more 777F than 747-8F.