Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

New Head of Immigration....

New Immigration head clamps down on visa ‘tips’.

Big Jok, no so funny!

The Nation.

New brooms sweep clean, this guy has a reputation of being hard on foreigners.

Rumours I heard today...

No tipping for services!!!

Letters of income used for a retirement extension will require proof from banks.

No agencies can obtain the extension, you must apply in person!

Note, rumours, we may hear facts next week, but hey, doesn't stop us chatting!

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'Hello John, There have been no reports of any requirement for Embassy income letter to be certified by a bank -- also, doesn't make any sense as the banks have nothing to do with it." This is

If it is what you need to live here anyhow, perhaps not as onerous as one might think. Yes it has to sit there above 800k for 90 days before the extension renewal, but then you can start using it and

I've been doing it for 11 years.......Why shouldn't others?????????????????

Well this is unpleasant news. I go for my first retirement extension end of the month. Doubt i could get a proof of income from my bank/ US social security by then.

Already have the income certificate from the US embassy. Really don't want to live in Cambodia

Well this is unpleasant news. I go for my first retirement extension end of the month. Doubt i could get a proof of income from my bank/ US social security by then.

Already have the income certificate from the US embassy. Really don't want to live in Cambodia

I would relax a bit, rumours are often exaggerated.

You might consider a deposit in a local bank (800,000 baht) if it ends up being true. Being there (seasoned) for 60 day,s is your problem though.You may want to look on Thaivisa website and see if it is being discussed there. There was some meeting going on today where more information would be presented, but I won't hear of that until the next Expats Club meet end of next week..

Edited by jacko

Thanks, Jacko. I'll be in the states for Thanksgiving holiday. Worst case i obtain a new O-A there. A real pain and expensive .

Just panicked a bit. Ill be at the expats meeting Sunday

Then there is a chance you will learn something there and I hope you can post here?

What about printing out a few monthly bank statements?

"Proof" from banks? I'm sure banks don't want to get involved, other than perhaps providing copies of monthly statements showing pension or other direct deposits. And what if they want the statements "notarized" or whatever, and your bank is in the US? Sounds like just putting 800,000 baht in a Thai bank might be the way to go to avoid all the nonsense.

Probably premature to duck and cover. Having the required monthly income and good proof thereof, I hope I don't have to tie up $24K in the bank.

Probably premature to duck and cover. Having the required monthly income and good proof thereof, I hope I don't have to tie up $24K in the bank.

If it is what you need to live here anyhow, perhaps not as onerous as one might think. Yes it has to sit there above 800k for 90 days before the extension renewal, but then you can start using it and top it up 9 months later. You can see what is behind this, the circumvention or bending of the requirements that has been going on for many years. Many countries consulates simply rubber stamped an income statement, or declaration, 'agencies' have obtained extensions with lesser requirements and one can presume officials in the office were complicit.

I worry some surviving on smaller pensions and having little capital behind them will be pressured into leaving, although I have small sympathy for those who deliberately break the rules. They bring down more stringent application on us all. This new guy has a bee in his bonnet about criminal types and it is hard to say he does wrong!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I hope I don't have to tie up $24K in the bank.

I've been doing it for 11 years.......Why shouldn't others?????????????????

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

How easy will it be for your heirs to get it back?

If it is a local lady, probably as easy as it would be in the USA. If you are married straightforward, if not, a local will should be made.

If not a local lady, well how easy would it be if you left money to a relative who now lives in Singapore?

If it is a local lady, probably as easy as it would be in the USA. If you are married straightforward, if not, a local will should be made.

If not a local lady, well how easy would it be if you left money to a relative who now lives in Singapore?

In America rather easily but wills here are subject to probate, whereas a living trust is not. It's a matter of dotting and crossing.

In America rather easily but wills here are subject to probate, whereas a living trust is not. It's a matter of dotting and crossing.

Similar here, a lawyer would need to be engaged and a court order required to order the bank to release funds to an heir. Back to the topic....

I have a will in both countries. I think it's important for anyone living here to ensure that.

Americans, I understand do not have to show proof of their pensions being taken at they word.

.......Brits must.... For us it can be a little laborious in that: original documents have to be forwarded here, taken to and and shown to the British embassy for them to write a verification letter to the Thai Immigration authorities. If the pension amount is tight then being subject to exchange rate fluctuations alterations it can dip under thresholds .... Also on occasion, the net amount is used on another the gross dependant on whim it seemed to me...Therefore It's comparatively straight forward to organise bringing money over to ensure that you have 90 days of at least 800,000 baht prior to application......That's subsequently available for use.

Unless Thai authorities begin to ask US citizens for verified 'proof'......You haven't a worry in the world. It's all 'Appy days for you'

Just sit down opposite the Thai Immigration lady.......tell her, 'You look might purdy today ma'am'

When she asks delicately, 'Do you have a pension that covers the required monthly amount.......?'

Just tilt your white stetson a little forward, stare into her eyes and answer 'I sur do'

Job done...!! Mount-up and ride off to Rhumpol for a shot of red-eye.

Edited by atlas2

The income affidavit is all you need for the extension. Never been asked for additional proof of income.

The income affidavit is all you need for the extension. Never been asked for additional proof of income.

Did you see any of the earlier posts?

Did you see any of the earlier posts?

My bad. I just focused on no tips and visa agents and completely glossed over "Letters of income used for a retirement extension will require proof from banks". Looks like I'm in the same boat as sailingbill. My extension is up next month, so I'll be quickly finding out if I too need the additional proof.

Edited to add: I re-read the linked article in the first post and don't see any mention of additional proof from banks. Do you have another source for this new requirement?

Edited by forcebwithu

Similar here, a lawyer would need to be engaged and a court order required to order the bank to release funds to an heir. Back to the topic....

Code words for 'bribes' must be paid to get your money in any Thai bank released after you die.

My bad. I just focused on no tips and visa agents and completely glossed over "Letters of income used for a retirement extension will require proof from banks". Looks like I'm in the same boat as sailingbill. My extension is up next month, so I'll be quickly finding out if I too need the additional proof.

Edited to add: I re-read the linked article in the first post and don't see any mention of additional proof from banks. Do you have another source for this new requirement?

Just second hand gossip.

'Hello John,

There have been no reports of any requirement for Embassy income letter to be certified by a bank -- also, doesn't make any sense as the banks have nothing to do with it."

This is from PCEC. They gather information from expats experiences at Jomtien, so that doesn't mean its not coming.

I have never liked the 800,000 baht solution. I have adequate monthly income ,why leave this money in Thailand unable to invest it ? Also why create problems for my kids when i kick? Now if the current plans to end ACH and direct deposits to Bangkok Bank are implemented April 1 I may look at that.

For me i downloaded an verification letter from Social Security. It is not signed in script and does not have any official looking stamps so it may not fly.

• Upvote 2

Also, I would probably have to sustain taxable events to separate out the 800K baht. Silly when I have the income stream.

Also, I would probably have to sustain taxable events to separate out the 800K baht. Silly when I have the income stream.

Most of us already pay a price to live here. We can chose to pay that price or, if it's better in balance to return home then we can do so.

I hope that any changes that may come are not too onerous for Americans......If it helps then perhaps weigh those changes against the years of relative advantages Americans have enjoyed.

The PCEC meet today, maybe some feedback will get to a BM and then here.

The owner of Key Visa has scheduled a short talk for Friday at the PEC meeting, so some think there will be some news.

The only other line I can find in local press was

Surachate also vowed to go after all agents and their customers nationwide involved in procuring visa extensions with fake documents.