Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Eva Air cabin crew strike

Eva Air cabin crew and as I understand it, ground crew have gone on a walk out strike today over pay and conditions, flights are being affected across the entire network, from what I can see the Taipei - Paris has been cancelled this evening. Hopefully the U.K.- BKK flights will remain unaffected ,

here’s the YouTube link; 

https://youtu.be/_OUwltwokj8

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, nkped said:

That's concerning.  Hope it's resolved by 12 July.

I can't imagine it can go on for too long. The cabin crews can't afford not to work and the airline can't afford to have their planes idle.

I don't know the numbers but it seems simple arithmetic.

Workers want X more

EVA

A. Flights revenue minus current cabin crew wages minus increase.

B. Then revenue minus current cabin crew wages

Then A minus B gives added cost and bump tickets a fraction to pay it.

But that sets a precedent for all the other union workers, which is the real reason these things tend to drag on. And perhaps sets a precedent for the industry. It can become a feeding frenzy of got to get yours.

It is why I prefer binding arbitration. Then it is on the arbiter. A neutral party (in theory).

4 hours ago, Butch said:

BR068 LHR-BKK cancelled tonight and tomorrow.

Any idea what they are doing with the passengers? To get moved to Thai, tolerable, BA, hell no!

30 minutes ago, CalEden said:

EVA has offered all FA's that work through strike double pay.

a novel strike breaking approach.

I don't think it will work. Crossing a picket line will make those employees very unpopular forever. Being in a union can be tough. But a union is only as strong as its weakest member. Solidarity.

I was a teamster for a couple of years when I was first married. Teamsters, I forget the local. UPS. Tossing boxes around as I describe it. Thankfully no labor unreast at that time. If there was....stay out because coming back later would have been Hell. Not a friend to be had. Not many of us can work like that.

Edited by midlifecrisis

They have cancelled all flights until June 28 though if they settle they would restore some, somehow. Offering refunds, apparently hours or days for e-mail reply, 800# jammed, people stranded all over hell's half acre.

I don't think they are working too hard putting passengers on other airlines, certainly not BA which is not Star Alliance. 

• Like 1

They bumped some over to Thai I think, but this again proves how woeful EVA Customer service is. Their standard response when I was delayed last year for 18 hours was to put me up in a shithole of a hotel and offer a crap meal. Better than nothing I guess, but no word of an apology.

Also, they have a tier system for moving pax across to Thai, first it's Business, then it is those with an onward connection (regardless of class), then PE then Econ. Overall a fucking utter shambles of a Customer service. The London office don't give a shit, and overall it is substandard.

The CC do a very good job on EVA, back in the days of the 747 combi's the girls had to stretch out on a row of reserved Economy seats for a rest break, hardly comfortable. Of course the 777's have rest areas, but I don't think the CC are as well treated and rewarded as those of Cathay et al, despite EVA being one of the top SEA Carriers.

If Thai offered a PE service ex LHR I'd switch over in a hearbeat.

8 hours ago, Butch said:

The London office don't give a shit, and overall it is substandard.

Still, with the EU regulations surely some opportunity for compensation? 

• Like 1

It's Eva Air's duty to buy a replacement ticket even on a competitor assuming you can reach them which seems to be more than difficult. On another site someone said they were rebooked outbound to Bangkok on BA via London from LAX, and the same class of service (PE) that they had on Eva. 

After even a couple of days it has to be nigh impossible to manage all these people, the worst cases people stranded away from home vs. not having left yet.

Have a look on trip advisor for EVA air, they're getting it in the arse at the moment.

By all accounts, phones are not being answered, refunds are going to take 2 months or more and a general apathy from the Customer Service dept.

This is seriously damaging to EVA, hopefully they'll sort it soon so people can go and enjoy their hard earned holidays.

Edited by Butch

Checked the seating on my flight on 12 July.  Can't be certain, but I think there were a lot more open seats than there had been before so I improved my seat.  Could be interesting.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:28 PM, Butch said:

Have a look on trip advisor for EVA air, they're getting it in the arse at the moment.

By all accounts, phones are not being answered, refunds are going to take 2 months or more and a general apathy from the Customer Service dept.

This is seriously damaging to EVA, hopefully they'll sort it soon so people can go and enjoy their hard earned holidays.

I am reminded on the EVA app I have on my phone that if I booked through a travel agent, it is the travel agent I need to contact, not EVA, in the event of a problem.

I'm beginning to get a bit worried now; I'm wondering if EVA has in mind to do to the cabin crew what Reagan did to the air traffic controllers in 1981.

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

I'm beginning to get a bit worried now; I'm wondering if EVA has in mind to do to the cabin crew what Reagan did to the air traffic controllers in 1981.

Reagan gave a warning first. 

edit: The air traffic controller's strike shutdown the nation's air travel briefly so that was quite different than one airline on strike. From wikipedia:

"At 7 a.m. on August 3, 1981, the union declared a strike...

" Ronald Reagan declared the PATCO strike a "peril to national safety" and ordered them back to work under the terms of the Taft–Hartley Act. 

"Only 1,300 of the nearly 13,000 controllers returned to work. (sonly 10% took him seriously)

"Subsequently, at 10:55 a.m., Reagan included the following in a statement to the media from the Rose Garden of the White House: "Let me read the solemn oath taken by each of these employees, a sworn affidavit, when they accepted their jobs: 'I am not participating in any strike against the Government of the United States or any agency thereof, and I will not so participate while an employee of the Government of the United States or any agency thereof.'

"He then demanded those remaining on strike return to work within 48 hours, otherwise their jobs would be forfeited.

"On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, Reagan fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order,[9][10] and banned them from federal service for life."

This is a foreign airline and subject to different laws.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, nkped said:

This is getting entirely too interesting.  The flight out of Seattle the day before my return trip on July 12 has been canceled, nothing on the next day yet.  EVA has a site for cancelation information. 

I am booked with them for November. Plenty of time I tell myself. Patience. This can't last.

I might consider another airline but it would cost me a gogo bar barfine, LT and lady drinks to do so. $200 if I have my Pattaya prices and exchange rate correct.

Potentially good news:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3734292

Breaking News: Flight attendants’ strike at Taiwan’s EVA Air on verge of ending

Union members will vote from Friday night until Saturday June 29 noon

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – A meeting between representatives of the Taoyuan Flight Attendants Union and EVA Air Chairman Steve Lin (林寶水) Friday (June 28) afternoon might result in the signing of an agreement and the end of the strike on its 10th day Saturday (June 29), according to the Ministry of Labor.

More than 2,000 flight attendants at the private carrier walked out on June 20 to underline their demands regarding overtime and long working hours. Supporters said difficult workingconditions were sufficient reason for the industrial action, while critics lambasted the airline staff for disrupting the travel plans of thousands of people.

About 1,000 flights have been canceled since the beginning of the strike,affecting an estimated 200,000 passengers, the Central News Agency reported.

Following Friday afternoon’s meeting, reports indicated that both sides in the dispute might sign an agreement to end the strike around Saturday noon at the earliest.

The breakthrough followed apparent concessions proposed by the union, including dialing down demands for a higher overseas daily allowance, the appointment of a labor representative on the company board, and benefits restricted to union members.

During Friday’s meeting, Lin reportedly showed goodwill on issues not directly included in the union’s eight core demands, thus laying the basis for an improved relationship, CNA reported.

The results of the meeting will be submitted to a union vote beginning at 10 p.m. Friday and likely to end by noon Saturday. If the members agree to the new package, the strike will be likely to end Saturday.

• Thanks 1

Strike probably called off but problems for a few more weeks:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3734838

The complete resumption of normal services following the vote by flight attendants Saturday (June 29) to end their 10-day strike might take until the end of July, EVA Air reportedly said.

Since June 20, about 1,000 flights were canceled, affecting an estimated 200,000 passengers, with public opinion divided between supporters of the employees’ cause and critics who blamed the union for disrupting travel plans.

After 14 hours of voting Friday and Saturday, the Taoyuan Flight Attendants Union announced the majority had agreed to end the strike, but only after the accord was signed by both sides, which was expected to happen later Saturday.

EVA Air said that due to general scheduling procedures, restoring a completely regular schedule would take some time, but it might be completed by the end of July at the latest, the Liberty Times reported.

The new pact reportedly included more money, regular talks between the union and management, the right to sleep over on some flights to Beijing and Tokyo, and a promise to abstain from retaliatory measures against the strikers, according to the Liberty Times.

The fate of legal action by EVA Air including demands for compensation against the union still had to be decided, the reports said.

• Thanks 2