Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What is your Exchange rate "tipping point"?.

Since arriving home a few days ago I have realised something about currency fluctuations. The tipping point is probably very variable and depends where you live and what currency you live on. In my own case I note that the $NZ is the second worse currency for dropping against the $US this year. It really has been brutal and the rate against the baht even more so. In other words there really is no one answer to the question. I have been hit in a number of ways this time but mainly in the rise of air fares in the last couple of months due to av gas rises and the falling dollar. The only thing that consoles me is that I have just made a booking and it was less in actual dollars than 15 years ago so is about half price taking in inflation. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in the middle of a month trip. Fortunately I changed a load of sterling at the start of my trip, at, from memory, 39.8ish.  My first longer trip was at 45 or so. Before that I was a 2 week mi

I first visited Pattaya years ago when the GBP bought us 32 baht. It was a wonderful holiday and the people had a much better attitude and could not do enough to please you. But as you can imagin

We are currently seeing some pretty bad news regarding USD/AUD/CAD and GPB vs the baht. sadly, the signs are that it is still going to get worse, with predictions of 35 / GBP and lower over the coming

Posted Images

5 hours ago, teelack said:

Since arriving home a few days ago I have realised something about currency fluctuations. The tipping point is probably very variable and depends where you live and what currency you live on. In my own case I note that the $NZ is the second worse currency for dropping against the $US this year. It really has been brutal and the rate against the baht even more so. In other words there really is no one answer to the question. I have been hit in a number of ways this time but mainly in the rise of air fares in the last couple of months due to av gas rises and the falling dollar. The only thing that consoles me is that I have just made a booking and it was less in actual dollars than 15 years ago so is about half price taking in inflation. 

$A not doing so well also.  After reading your post, I became curious and so did a comparison of my two 2019 and two 2020 30 day trips with Singapore Airlines (booked through BYOJet).  I book almost a year from travel as Singapore Airline prices seem to stay constant and I am able to select exactly the departures and stopover time that I want.  Trips are ADL-SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN-ADL return.  Every one of these trips has exactly the same timing.  I think the pricing discrepancy between June and August is due to USA holidays, but not sure.  Also, I only have 50 minutes in Changi on the way over, so book a seat towards the front of the A350 in economy, which costs about $A19 (but only do this on the trip to Singapore.)  Gets me off the plane as soon as possible.

June2019 - $778.95

June2020 - $788.19

August2019 - $674.01

August2020 - $689.28

Have an account with Bangkok Bank and keep this topped up more than enough to cover the trips.  So in my mind, I am about as immune from exchange rate fluctuations as I can be (I think).  Of course, it could go the other way, but don't give a ....  if it does.  Cheers

On 9/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, marleyboy said:

Used to get a bungalow on the beach too! Seem to remember paying about a pound a night though. I did actually go to Pattaya for a few days, would have been the late 80s........nothing like it is now of course! Though I thought it was more "touristy"! (remember I was a backpacker in those days!)..than Koh Samui.?

I first went to Thailand and Samui in 1982...saw major changes in Samui and Thailand too....Saying that..I did fly once from Bangkok to Samui! Amazing airport it was! 

Hi,

Yeah, Samui was a different place then than it is now. The new Thailand suits me better these days. I like my comforts as I get older and I only drink alcohol these days.:gulp

• Like 1
On 9/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, Butch said:

I have a friend who retired in 2002 with £250k in the bank, getting almost 8% on his money PA plus a small pension all added up to , give or take £20k pa, around 16k pa net (approximate figures) all at over 60 baht to the £. Today he's lucky to get 2% PA at half the value of his sterling, as such he's running out of options fast due to having already eaten into the lump sum he had originally.

Personally , myself and the wife intend to retire in the RP, (sooner rather than later with any luck), and given that I'll be cashing in all of my assets here in the UK with the exception of the house, .

Hi,

Good post. It shows how quickly things can turn. Rental income from property is about the best way to keep an additional income coming in.The decline of the £ is a thing that must have hit plenty.  It's disgraceful that people are getting so little return on bank deposits.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

Good post. It shows how quickly things can turn. Rental income from property is about the best way to keep an additional income coming in.The decline of the £ is a thing that must have hit plenty.  It's disgraceful that people are getting so little return on bank deposits.

Thanks Wac.

The plans we are currently executing for retirement and have done for a while now is to provide an income stream in the RP in local currency, rather than depend upon one in the UK. That way exchange rate fluctuations are not an issue.

It's not just SEA Expats feeling the hit of the Sterling, many who have previously emigrated to Spain and other areas of the EU are getting less Euro now, and although the rate wasn't really that spectacular anyway, when it is almost hitting parity, it is still a hurdle for many.