Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

BaggageWeight Limits??

Does anyone have any ideas about weight limits for baggage! I mean to say that some airlines say 20kg and accept up to 30kg! Some airlines say 20 and ask you to pay for anything over 20kg....

:chogdee2 B) ;) :bj1

I can only speak for BA

World Traveller & World Traveller Plus - 23kg

Club Class - 30 kg

1st class - 40 kg

If flying World Traveller Plus you get double the hand baggage allowance.

If you have to connect from a regional airport, you get the same baggage allowance as for your international flight.

Check out the airline's web-site. Information on their baggage allowance should be detailed there, though bear in mind that you may only get the international allowance for your internal flight if flying on the same airline. :chogdee2

Alan

Most airlines allow you extra baggage allowance if you have attained the upper tiers of their FF programmes. e.g Eva allows an additional 10 kg for silver card holders.

With the cost of fuel as it is you can expect airlines to come down on those folk who are obviously taking the piss.

Tom

Everyone varies, I'm with UA and can take 2 checked and one hand carry because I'm Premier Executive. One reason that they maybe reducing the weight limit is because they are finding that the average weight of todays travelers is much more in the past, at least in the USA.

On my last trip to LOS in November '04 I was on Korean Air, and with a fully-loaded garment bag, a carry-on, and my golf clubs I was probably 5kg or more over the allowance. They didn't charge me extra, even though I was flying on a FF ticket from Delta.

I flew Gulf Air to UK return , cheapest fare, joined frequent flyers club on net and got 10kgs extra straight off, when I returned from Uk I had one suitcase 32kgs one nike bag size hand baggage must have beem at least 10kgs, ( by the time they made me take some out of my case and put it in there as it was over 32 kgs) and a canon video camera shoulder bag crammed full of power supplies as well as camera and battery etc.

Seemed to me frequent flyers membership helped a lot as there were big signs around saying overweight passengers would be charged excess baggage.

Downside 4 hr layover in Bahrain in and 2.5 hours in Abu Dhabi back. Flight was OK apart from Heathrow ATC computer breaking down but that another story.

In General you are definitely more likely to be able to 'take the piss' with more humble airlines than the mighty BA, Qantas etc.

On my last trip to LOS in November '04 I was on Korean Air, and with a fully-loaded garment bag, a carry-on, and my golf clubs I was probably 5kg or more over the allowance. They didn't charge me extra, even though I was flying on a FF ticket from Delta.

Mescalito,

Most airlines have a nominal weight system in place for the likes of golf clubs, surfing equipment and skis so that they don't impact so much on your overall baggage entitlement.

Tom

I fly swiss air in december ams-zurh with swiss air, then it seems that I fly thai

to bangkok.I booked on line and I did not know that I would have to fly with thai

I thought I would just transfer from one swiss plane to another.

I want to travel as light as possible as I am on a thailand-cambodia-vietnam-thailand

trip over six weeks,so I want to start with carry on luggage only my reply from swiss air was that they would only allow a 5% bigger bag as carry on.I realise that any bag must fit in the overhead lockers and not take up all the space.

What I want to know is how much will they really allow me to take in the cabin,can I take a normal max size cabin type bag and a small day/back pack or will I only be allowed one bag,

or can I take a bigger but half empty duffle type bag?

I fly economy code[L] but I will only take carry on and it will be less than 10 kilos

including the bags.Anything I need I will pick up along the way.

cheers mike

I think most airlines (BA certainly do) have a weight limit of 30 kg per case. This is to protect them against claims by baggage handlers who may injure themselves handling particularly heavy cases.

When I flew out in June (Hilly Class :moon and very nice it was too :clueless ) my 2 cases weighed in at 39.5kg. I then went back to Edinburgh with just hand luggage in early August and on my return flight (World Traveler Plus), my case weighed in at 22.5kg.

Just inside the weight limit both times :o I'm not absolutely certain that my hand luggage on the 2nd flight was within the weight limit though. :o

Alan

Mescalito,

Most airlines have a nominal weight system in place for the likes of golf clubs, surfing equipment and skis so that they don't impact so much on your overall baggage entitlement.

Tom

Aw, shucks. And there I was thinking I was getting special treatment! Once again, fantasy and delusion are wrecked to bits on the rocky shore of reality! :clap1

I fly swiss air in december ams-zurh with swiss air, then it seems that I fly thai

to bangkok.I booked on line and I did not know that I would have to fly with thai

I thought I would just transfer from one swiss plane to another.

I want to travel as light as possible as I am on a thailand-cambodia-vietnam-thailand

trip over six weeks,so I want to start with carry on luggage only my reply from swiss air was that they would only allow a 5% bigger bag as carry on.I realise that any bag must fit in the overhead lockers and not take up all the space.

What I want to know is how much will they really allow me to take in the cabin,can I take a normal max size cabin type bag and a small day/back pack or will I only be allowed one bag,

or can I take a bigger but half empty duffle type bag?

I fly economy code[L] but I will only take carry on and it will be less than 10 kilos

including the bags.Anything I need I will pick up along the way.

cheers mike

There seems to be a bit of a misconception of the game being played here. You can never be advised that you will be allowed to take more than whatever the cabin baggage limit is say 8kgs, because it is possible that an agent will enforce this rule strictly and even make you put your bag in that metal contraption that indicates its physical size and shape. So the worst case answer is no you cannot rely on taking more than 8 kilos that will fit in that thing.

But on the day anything can happen, even to two different people on the same flight checked by two different agents can get a different result. From what you say in practice I would say you have a good chance of getting it on, the worst that can happen is that they make you check a piece, not the end of the world, however, if you can get someone to go to the airport with you leave a piece with them when you check in and then get it back and go to the plane. Even when they put a little tag on the carry on luggage I have never been pulled on the second bag this way, especially if you carry it over your shoulder more on your back!!

Good luck!

It depends on luck, I never ever react about my overweight and still had the luck. In december I had a luggage with 74 ( ! ) kg. It was cling-filmed and moaned to the lady don't hassle me... no problem. Usually my handbag usually weights 10 kilo, but never ever anyone asked me about it. From BKK I returned with 41 kg no any problems. My idea is allways check in with a female worker, as they are more understanding, than the most rigorous male staff. However my ex father in law always worrying about the weight of his luggage and he is always redirected to pay the extra fee. ( I'm useless to explain him " Don't say anything, just smile ." )

As a Qantas club member flying economy I can check in 25kg and cabin luggage 7kg. Both normally are slightly over and all the Qantas staff at Brisbane do is attach a heavy tag to the checked luggage. Maybe checking in at the business class checkin (but flying economy) helps a little.

John

The wife flew london-Bkk last weekend and she called them in advance and was told she could getting away with 25-27kg on an 20kg allowance,ended up 26kg at the airport and the staff where quite happy.

Oh then she got stopped by Bangkok customs......but that's another story !!! B)

Thank you for this thread!

I am flying economy UAL USA-Bkk in October. Checked their website.

Tickets bought after 06 September >>2 checked bags @ 50 lbs imit each.

Tickets befor 06 September>> 2 checked bags @ 70 lbs (~32+ kgs) each

Bought mine 04 September, carrying a piece of boxed electronics, weighs in at 69.5 lbs!

whew!