Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Six month rule needed on Passports,how close can you go

Passport runs out April 28th 2007 ,booked Pattaya trip 7th October .depart 21st October.if this ok ,my reckoning leaves about 6months and 1 week .is this cutting it a bit close .

About 4 years ago, I left for Thailand with only 3 months left on my passport. Didn't realize it until I was getting off the plane in Bangkok. I kept my mouth shut and went through Immigration with no problems. They didn't even look at the expiration date. I might have just been lucky, but have heard of others with similar experiences to mine.

You might want to look into getting a new passport at your embassy in Bangkok. I needed additional pages earlier this year and didn't want to risk putting it in the mail and sending it cross country. Took about 15 minutes to have it done in Bangkok.

british passports issued overseas sometimes do not have the same "strengh" as ones issued at home e.g to visit the states we use the visa wiaver system withh a uk issued passport.

not so if its issued overseas you'd have to drag your arse down to london for a one on one interview to get a visa

from your info though you should be fine with six months left.

I have a buddy who recently decided to tag along as a newbie on my October - November trip. He was worried because his passport expires in February ('07), so he would not make the 6 month rule.

I read this on Stickman's site in April: 6 month rule

The Thai government has made some changes to immigration laws.

Foreign nationals who are visa exempt or able to obtain a visitor permit for Thailand (that's the 30 day stamp), no longer require passports to be valid for a period of six months. All that is required for these nationals is that the passport be valid for at least the period of maximum stay allowed (i.e.. 30 or 90 days depending on nationality).

If the passports expiry date is less than the maximum period of stay, visitors may stay up until the expiry date of their passport. For example Americans can travel with passports valid for at least 30 days and should receive the 30 day visitor permit or should the passport be valid less than 30 days, they will only be permitted to stay until the expiration date of the passport.

This is a very welcome amendment to immigration laws. I used to always think that the requirement to have 6 months left on your passport essentially meant the expiry date on your passport was 6 months earlier.

I then verified it on the Delta Airlines website (since we're flying Delta/Korean Air).

passport rules

Thanks for such a quick reply seems i might be lucky and get away with old passport ,the next trip my 12th will be with new biometric passport 2guns

Get a new passport and you won't have to worry about it. I got a new one at the American Embassy in Bangkok and it was kind of a pain in the ass. The new passport is made in the USA and it takes 15 days to get back to Thailand. They refuse to mail it to you so you have to pick it up in person. That doesn't sound too bad but I live more than 500 kilometers from Bangkok.

I don't know how long it takes if you are in the US but it should not take that long. I think mine cost $62 US. Now I'm good for another ten years.

I don't know what other countries are like but in Australia in you are re-applying for a new passport early then the expiry date will be 10 years from the expiry date of your existing password

So in simple terms if your passport was to expire on April 28th 2007 and you were getting a replacement passport today, then it would be valid from August 31st 2006 until April 28th 2017.

This being the case then there is no reason why you wouldn't get your new passport today.

Edited by thegrogmonster
You might want to look into getting a new passport at your embassy in Bangkok. I needed additional pages earlier this year and didn't want to risk putting it in the mail and sending it cross country. Took about 15 minutes to have it done in Bangkok.

Unfortunately, the British Embassy do not add pages to your passport. :thumbup . If it's getting full, your only option is to obtain a new passport and if you obtain it in Bangkok, it's period of validity will be 10 years from the date of issue. :kissing

Alan

I can tell you for sure that getting pages added to a US passport is free and painless except getting to the US Embassy. When you get a new US passport the ten years is from the time the passport is made.

I don't know what other countries are like but in Australia in you are re-applying for a new passport early then the expiry date will be 10 years from the expiry date of your existing password

So in simple terms if your passport was to expire on April 28th 2007 and you were getting a replacement passport today, then it would be valid from August 31st 2006 until April 28th 2017.

This being the case then there is no reason why you wouldn't get your new passport today.

I personally have never heard this,but hope it is true,I thought it was valid for 10years from date of issue,end of story.I will find out shortly as I am currently waiting for a new one which expires in march 2007.

I hope that it is valid till march 2007 as for $289 (64 pages) i want it to last as long as possible.

For the original poster as long as you have 6 months and one day it would be ok.

ozboy

I have to apologise for the incorrect information I have given. I was led to believe the above statement was correct but have just gotten an email from the passport people this is their reply

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 01/09/2006.

If you renew your Australian passport prior to it's expiry your Australian Passport will be valid for ten (10) years from the date of issue of the new passport"

Sorry for the mis-information

Edited by thegrogmonster

just a thought ,this really fucks me off,they charge you 70 odd quid for a ten year passport then give you a 9 and a half one for the same price .governments you gotta love `em :clueless

be careful they ARE clamping down on the 6 month rule. If he has 6 months and 1 day he will be OK. If not get a new passport, it only takes a few weeks to get a new passport in the UK and he will get 10yrs for the expriation date (If UK).

Edited by whitespider

How long does it take to get to the US Embassy in Bangkok from the Nana Hotel by taxi ?? Is there usually a long line to get in ?? I need to get some pages added and that would be a convenient time to do it.

How long does it take to get to the US Embassy in Bangkok from the Nana Hotel by taxi ?? Is there usually a long line to get in ?? I need to get some pages added and that would be a convenient time to do it.

It's not far from Nana. Depending on the traffic usually less than a half hour. They have modified bankers hours there so it's best to try to get there about 9:00 AM. Don't wait in the long line, that's for visas. Turn right at the sign that says citizen services. There won't be any line outside. You may have to wait a while to get to the service window but it won't be very long.