Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I would like to hear from Americans only who have brought a Thai lady to the US, married her in the US, and then divorced her.

I have been married 16 months...I want to know what my responsibility is to the Thai lady if I get a divorce. I know I signed papers that said I was resposible for her for 10 years. I want to go with her to Thailand and then tell her that I want a divorce and I will leave Thailand. I want to get the divorce while she is in Thailand. Has anyone done this...no children involved. I would rather pay one lump payment and be through with it. If anyone (american) has done this...please send me info.

Thanks

Edited by joseph1

You need to pay a divorce lawyer and possibly a immigration lawyer on your legal options. What works in one state may not work in yours. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Good luck.

Sorry you have to go through this now ,sorry I can help with your question.

But think more and more I will not get married ,just live with lady in Thailand and not bring her to live away from her country

A friend of mine just divorced a thai after several years and is paying alimony. She is already getting child support from another guy. Both of these gents work for the same company as I. The alimony lasts until she marries again. It is best to get a divorce attorney or lose half or everything. California the judge has the say if you cant work it out. I have seen guys lose everything and pay serious amounts of money. Including me! After 5 divorces I am done. Good Luck....Doorman

I would like to hear from Americans only who have brought a Thai lady to the US, married her in the US, and then divorced her.

I have been married 16 months...I want to know what my responsibility is to the Thai lady if I get a divorce. I know I signed papers that said I was resposible for her for 10 years. I want to go with her to Thailand and then tell her that I want a divorce and I will leave Thailand. I want to get the divorce while she is in Thailand. Has anyone done this...no children involved. I would rather pay one lump payment and be through with it. If anyone (american) has done this...please send me info.

Thanks

=====

mine was chinese.

in 15 states of the USA, anxiety is a physical disability. if u r in one of those states, u should declare a serious anxiety breakdown as the result of some genuine source making u a victim.

this will put u under the ada act, and will give u some protection.

if that is not to your liking, u gotta pay.

u goofed.

another option of course is to do as u say, get her out of the usa on a nice holiday, like central america, or something like this, and get a divorce there. once u have a declared divorce, it will probably be honored in the usa, and u can part ways in the other country. however, u still have 10 years of liability for her, including her attorney fees to mess with u.

perhaps retire in central america is a better idea, with a documented anxiety disability which requires u to have no stress and a good climate because of the pollutants in cities where u may now live. with this condition, u can be out of the states a lot, and would have to be recalled, to answer to charges she would have to file in the usa, while she left the usa of her own accord with you, and where she was divorced in another country ingood faith. at this time, u were shown to have an anxiety disability which returning to your prior life in the usa would trigger, and therefore for all concerned, and your physical, not mental, disability, u must remain in a more suitable climate.

but regardless of what u do, your life as u knew is over. if u stay in the usa, it's totally over. hopefully your trust was established prior to the marriage and everything u owned, own, and will own is automatically a part of the trust, and she is not part of the trust?

Edited by cecco
I have been married 16 months...I want to know what my responsibility is to the Thai lady if I get a divorce. I know I signed papers that said I was resposible for her for 10 years. I want to go with her to Thailand and

then tell her that I want a divorce and I will leave Thailand. I want to get the divorce while she is in

I'm confused why you're confused.

You married in the US. Her being Thai has nothing to do with the marriage; a marriage is a marriage, and the rules are the same for all nationalities, depending on the state. Do you believe there are special marriage rules in your state depending on nationality? If so, shouldn't you ask the authorities in your state?

"10 years" is immigration, nothing to do with marriage.

You can't divorce her in Thailand because you didn't marry her in Thailand. You have to have a marriage paper to get a divorce -- makes sense, don't you think?

You can marry and divorce her in Thailand (if she agrees) but you'll still be married in the US.

Marriage paperwork done in the USA, must be completed in the USA. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's a fact.

If she gets a lawyer, you will be paying for that also. Best to reach a compromise and it is wise to inform her of your intentions. If you surprise her, you'll be paying more than you ever thought. You also must go through a "cooling off" period, as many states just don't grant a divorce upon request. I had to wait 1 year when I divorced in the USA in 1996

She was a step ahead of you by getting married in the USA

You can't divorce her in Thailand because you didn't marry her in Thailand. You have to have a marriage paper to get a divorce -- makes sense, don't you think?

You can marry and divorce her in Thailand (if she agrees) but you'll still be married in the US.

Is that specifically a Thailand thing? Reason I ask: First marriage I was married in South Carolina and divorced in Japan (and it stood in America), second marriage I was married in the Philippines and divorced in Florida.

HR

Is that specifically a Thailand thing? Reason I ask: First marriage I was married in South Carolina and divorced in Japan (and it stood in America), second marriage I was married in the Philippines and divorced in Florida.

It's a matter of paperwork. To get a Thai divorce, you first have to have a marriage the Thais would recognise.

Now. You could bring all your marriage papers here, get your wife to take you along to the correct offices, and get all the translations and stamps needed to get the marriage papers in order so that you could then take her to the office and get a divorce. That could happen, yes.

That didn't seem to be in your list of required options, however. You seemed to indicate she wasn't yet involved in all of this and probably wouldn't be too cooperative.

If she agrees to get a divorce, there's no reason to go to Thailand to do it. If she doesn't agree to a divorce, Thailand can't help you, because if you SUE her for divorce in Thailand, she'll hand you your ass.

Excellent info Joekicker...as usual.

Joseph1...there is another "shady" option. You will have to check with the state you live in, but if she goes back to Thailand and you are back in the US there is a way.

I have a friend that had his wife run out on him. He filed a "whereabouts unknown" divorce. He had to take out an add in the local newspaper classifieds section. She doesn't respond within 30 days and he gets a divorce.

Something to think about.

HR

Hmmmm Mutual Admiration? That is also excellent advice HansumRob.

It's unclear whether the OP expects TB to go to Thailand, but if she does, he can pwn her as you suggest.

Edited by joekicker

Try to get her back to Thailand and divorce her there. Agree to a settlement of property and hope to hell the thing becomes final. If you can help it, don't go near a divorce court in the USA.

J

Well yet another case of if it flys, floats or f*cks its cheaper to rent than own.

There seems to be no way to get divorced and not take it in the shorts. I was listening to a show on the radio the other day. A woman had been divorced for 16 years. Was married for 6. The guy had just retired and was getting his pension. She is entitled to half of his pension for the rest of his life. She gets not a portion but an entire half. So it would seem to me the trick for a woman is to get married 3 or 4 time while she is young and marketable. Always marry an older guy by lets say 30 years. Then just wait for them to reach retirement age and live off them the rest of your llfe. I bet if the roles where reversed the guy would get nothing.

Try to get her back to Thailand and divorce her there.

J

Reading the thread first can help you be helpful.

You don't just "divorce her there" during a brief stopover in this case.

Agree to a settlement of property and hope to hell the thing becomes final. If you can help it, don't go near a divorce court in the USA.

She doesn't know she's being divorced yet. If there is an amicable settlement, there's no reason to go to Thailand to do it. If it is not amicable, then a divorce suit in Thailand will take a long time, cost a lot of money and result predictably in her owning him.

Now if they had been married in Thailand in the first place, this whole thread would have read differently. If they both wanted a pleasant, amicable divorce, it wouldn't be here at all.

My wife is also Thai and from what I've understood is that if you get divorced within the first five years your wife cannot legally stay in the States! once she's back in Thailand she might have a hard time collecting any money from you! I'd take her back home for a vacation then tell her you're wanting a divorce and come back home....What's she gonna do? She's gonna need a lot of money to fight you from LOS. She doesn't need to sign any divorce papers......file that she went home for holiday and you never saw her again, all you need to do is send divorce papers to last know address and wait so many days for a response....no response then the courts rule in your favor and it's over! check with an immigration and divorce attorney for the right advice but it's not what everyone thinks.

If you want to get married best to get married in Thailand ,as if devorce in Thailand only get half of what you have from when you first get married ,so she can not have half of your house back home if you had one before meeting her,think this is true as I did read some where :bow

One very important thing....If you do take her back to Thailand you might want to break the news to her via telephone about 5 minutes before you're plane takes off....She might not be to happy with you and better safe than sorry! :poke

My divorce was in Indiana. I paid a law firm that specialized in divorce $300.

We both signed papers and that was it.

We split the bank account and the cars.

Done and done.

money from you! I'd take her back home for a vacation then tell her you're wanting a divorce and come back home....What's she gonna do? She's gonna need a lot of money to fight you from LOS. She doesn't need to sign any divorce papers......file that she went home for holiday and you never saw her again, all

Oh, sure, lie to the court. Why didn't the OP think of that?!? That's a good recommendation.

She has a green card and a visa. She'd have to be stupid and not have a single brain cell and not have a single friend in America to stand still for that. And if she doesn't stand still for it, the OP goes to jail for perjury.

Somehow, I don't think this really qualifies as excellent advice.

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.ph...&hl=divorce

While this all makes for interesting reading, it would seem that things got better for the last 10 months. Since you never replied to the previous thread you posted....I do wonder if you're sincere.

Maybe by the time he's ready to ditch and run, the house he was trying to build will be completed.

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.ph...c=31782&hl=

Edited by stinger_sd
Reading the thread first can help you be helpful.

You don't just "divorce her there" during a brief stopover in this case.

She doesn't know she's being divorced yet. If there is an amicable settlement, there's no reason to go to Thailand to do it. If it is not amicable, then a divorce suit in Thailand will take a long time, cost a lot of money and result predictably in her owning him.

Now if they had been married in Thailand in the first place, this whole thread would have read differently. If they both wanted a pleasant, amicable divorce, it wouldn't be here at all.

I did read the original post and my advice still stands. If both parties are in Thailand and consent to the jurisdiction of the Thai court, then there's no reason they can't be divorced there. And, once the process is started, there's no reason why a settlement can't be reached.

The original poster didn't say what USA state he was from, so it's hard to give him advice about proceeding in the USA. Many states have alimony in addition to the division of property. If possible, he should stay away if that's the case with his state. Maybe, just maybe, he'll luck out and only have to give her some of his Thai property.

J

I did read the original post and my advice still stands. If both parties are in Thailand and consent to the jurisdiction of the Thai court,

Yes.

Well, that is two "ifs", neither of which exists.

16 months of marriage does not warrant a 50/50 split! fuck that......do like I said and you're done. Depending on what State you live in a divorce can be final in as little as 30 days!

==== if u r married, u r free to travel.

y not just move yourself off shore, and don't go back or tell anybody where u r. married men are free to travel and disappear. u can also apply for divorce from other countries, have her served in the usa, make declarations that she can't be found, have the divorce ratified in a foreign country and it should be recognized as valid in the usa.