Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Had it many times inlcuding at a BBQ once.

Is the Kobe Beef in Thailand certified?

KB tastes great but for value for money Matsuzaka is better value, IMHO.

If you want to cook it yourself, Villa Market at the Avenues, has some specialty Japanese imported beef. I'm not sure if it's Kobe or what, but it's quite expensive.

Also available at Bruno's in Jomtien. Not been there, but it looks like a quality place to eat. Pricey, but if you don't mind paying for that bit extra class, maybe it's just the place to take that special girl on a special occasion.:rolleyes:

http://www.brunos-pattaya.com/

Edited by N3RGT
Has anyone ever had Kobe beef? Is it available in Pattaya?

I found one restaurant in Bangkok at Siam Paragon that

has it although a tad expensive... If it's not available in Pattaya

guess I will do a day trip to BKK.

http://www.kabukithailand.com/menu_special.html

I had it in 1971 when I was stationed on Okinawa and during a TDY to Japan in 1972.

packhike

Kobe beef is raised and fed a specific way thats why its so expensive.

But the breed of cow that becomes Kobe beef is a Wagyu and is still very good eating and you should

be able to find it at more places and cheaper.

Same same as bigdan said. The same cows for the kobe, are all over Japan. Its just the Kobe cows that are massaged daily, fed a special diet, and have their own music to listen to among the other things they do lol. The other cows of the same variety that don't get the same treatment can't taste too much different I would imagine.

I clipped this from Time Magazine:

"...The best beef is raised free-range on grass, with whole cereal and hay over the winter. Zaldúa says that two weeks of aging will tenderize the best meat, while no amount of aging can save the toughest.

Science seems to back him up. Even among purebloods of impeccable provenance, it is nearly impossible to tell in advance which one holds the ultimate steak, for individual animals vary dramatically. Recent studies point to variations in genes for specific compounds like myostatin and calpain as factors in determining tenderness, but it would take between 20 and 40 years to breed toughness out of meat.

Yet even the most genetically blessed beef can turn tough if it is not treated properly. Chilling the meat immediately after slaughter triples its toughness. The ultimate steak has to be cooled gradually and then properly dry-aged. Most importantly, it must be cooked to no more than 140ºF (60ºC), or medium rare...."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1691115,00.html

The best steak I ever had was at Argentine steak house in Berlin. I have no idea of the history of that steak. It melted in your mouth and was so flavorful.

I don't eat much beef any more but I still love an occasional steak or burger.

Some think corn fed is better but most agree grass fed beef is king:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

I think aging is very important.

Just grist for the mill. In the end it is what appeals to your pallate.

Most importantly, it must be cooked to no more than 140ºF (60ºC), or medium rare...."

Sooooooo true. Makes me weep for the cow when someone wants their steak medium to well done.

Thanks for all the great replies and info. I will be checking out some of those restaurants in Oct.

I have always heard about Kobe beef (the massaged ones) and have always wanted to

try it so figured what the hell you only live once. LOL

This picture just makes me drool.... Yes I like my meat but only the four footed cow kind.

menu_special_1.jpg

Edited by packhike

packhike

There are a couple of steakhouses in the Arcade on 2nd rd, opposite Mike shopping mall. Beefeater & Bighorn

That may be a good place to start your quest, If you are stopping in BKK, you will have plenty of options.

They also reckon that Angus beef is as good as Kobe.

packhike

There are a couple of steakhouses in the Arcade on 2nd rd, opposite Mike shopping mall. Beefeater & Bighorn

That may be a good place to start your quest, If you are stopping in BKK, you will have plenty of options.

They also reckon that Angus beef is as good as Kobe.

I have eaten steak at Bighorn and nothing great.

The chef (owner) at Beefeater is excellent. I had ribs there, mmmmmmmm.

I will try a steak next time (August)

here's a review:

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=2804

I have not read it so I do not know if it agrees with my experience (working).

Edited by midlifecrisis

Not many resturants even here in N.California serve Kobe Beef,,,,I purchase from a web site that have cert. Kobe beef.

Best seared on the Q served with Blue Cheese and a cold na beer. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
Has anyone ever had Kobe beef? Is it available in Pattaya?

I found one restaurant in Bangkok at Siam Paragon that

has it although a tad expensive... If it's not available in Pattaya

guess I will do a day trip to BKK.

http://www.kabukithailand.com/menu_special.html

there is a family run resturant at the top of walking street advertising Kobe steak, i must say its the best steak i have ever eaten, its just over the road from the french resturant, i am sorry i cant remember the name

I've had Kobe at steak houses in NY and Tokyo. It's an amazing experience. Here's more info on the beef from Wikipedia:

Kobe beef in Japan is registered trademark by Kobe beef distribution promotion conference.[2] It must fulfill all the conditions as follows:[3]

Tajima cattle born in Hyōgo Prefecture

Fed by farm in Hyōgo Prefecture

Bullock or Virgin cow, meant to purify the beef

Processed at slaughterhouse in Kobe, Nishinomiya, Sanda, Kakogawa and Himeji in Hyōgo Prefecture.

Marbling ratio called BMS[4] is level 6 and above.

Meat Quality Score[4] is A or B

Gross weight of beef is 470 kg or below.

In accordance with popular belief, the cattle are fed a beer a day, and they are massaged with sake daily and brushed for setting fur, and fed on grain fodder.[5][6] When the cattle are ready for slaughter, they are slaughtered in a humane and painless customary way in order to keep the meat tender and at its highest flavor. A Kobe beef distribution promotion conference plans to make a pamphlet in foreign languages detailing Kobe beef due to the ambiguation of what actually constitutes Kobe beef, and the fact many tourists who visit Japan receive incorrect information.

The posh mall below mike mall I think its the plaza well something like that has a japanese resturaunt and serves kobe. Just in reference to the others the minium of three weeks hanging before butchering is recommended for tenderising beef. Also I will send it back to the kitchen if its anything other than blue thats the way to get the real taste and tenderness out of your steak! Tust me beautiul! Although it tests the resturaunt as unless its well hung it oozes blood! Also a lot of chefs cannot cook it blue! Its not just a case of slap on the pan seal and turn no it has to be gently heated first! So now you know!

Anything other than what you get in Japan isn't Kobe.

I thought I had it in Korea....

I thought I had it in Korea....

I've had it in London. :D

Go to the end of walking street on the left side...Right Spot . Good Kobe beef - a little pricey buy worth it.

That's right, as long as you mean Kobe beef from cattle bred and raised in Japan. You can get Kobe-style beef from wagyu cattle outside Japan. The real Kobe beef is raised on 262 small farms in Hyogo Prefecture. Most of these farms produce only one to five animals a year and the most any farm produces is 15. Demand for Kobe beef outstrips supply by an astronomical margin and all the domestically produced Kobe beef stays in Japan. Production can't be expanded because of the shortage of suitable land in Hyogo and the huge price it would command.

But Japanese meat producers have allowed a limited number of wagyu cattle to be bred and raised in the U.S. and Australia. These cattle are shipped back to Japan for final feeding prior to slaughter. You may be able to get this sort of Kobe beef outside Japan, but it is enormously expensive, like USD$300 a serving and is still hard to find.

What you most likely will get is "Kobe-style" beef, which means beef that is several grades higher than USDA Prime because of its abundant marbling. It's very doubtful that most of what is sold as Kobe beef in Asia and elsewhere has anything to do with Japan or wagyu cattle. It is often tender and well marbled beef, but not the real Kobe.

Remember, Kobe beef isn't like the beef with which most of us are familiar. It is more like fioe gras than an American Porterhouse steak. In Japan, it is eaten very thinly sliced and barely warmed. Many say the only cooking a slice of Kobe needs is what it gets on top of a bowl of hot rice. If it is prepared "Western style," it is seared quickly on both sides over very high heat in an iron pan, much like tuna is prepared. The inside shouldn't be much more than warm.

The photos illustrate the difference in marbling between Kobe and the top two USDA grades of meat.

Kobe beef:

images_pic_medium_22989_kobe_beef.jpg____Kobe_beef.jpg

And the top USDA classifications.

prime_usda_beef.gif primeshield.gif

choice_usda_beef.gif images.jpg

Evil

:D