Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

"You can live like a king."

I think the idea of living like a king on little money can be achieved in a relative sense. If I look back at a time when I was in banking and what I was spending, just to get through each week, then for less than a normal life, I could stay in 5* hotels in Thailand and could not spend more per day on holiday than my normal life cost elsewhere. In that sense, I could perhaps say that I was able to live like a king on what was much less than my normal living costs.

A good few years ago, I stumbled across a small island in the South Andaman. Its name was Koh Mook. It was idyllic. A small bay, simple wooden hut structures as rooms, electric perhaps a few hours a day if you were lucky and cold water heated far too hot by the all day sun. Food was largely whatever the fishermen had been able to catch and what Ang and Chai, the owners of the accommodation and small restaurant had been able to purchase from them at reasonable cost. Occasional forays to the mainland could bring back rewards such as selections of meat whilst blue swimming crabs were a great delicacy. Booze was Thai gut rot or large bottles of beer, Chang or Singha only.

We left and then went back because no-where else came close at that time. It was before Charlie fucked the place up aka Phi Phi but for those months, it was idyllic and it was living like a king on peanuts. We could not spend Bt1000 between two of us, accommodated, fed and watered. I'll never forget that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago I spent a month traveling all over Thailand and mongering. I spent $1,000 USD, not counting my flight here and back. I stayed another month traveling Asia, part of that time back in

Damn, and I complain about the amount I give the lady that stays with me full time. Am I cheap, or are you overly generous? Both maybe?

I think the idea of living like a king on little money can be achieved in a relative sense. If I look back at a time when I was in banking and what I was spending, just to get through each week, then for less than a normal life, I could stay in 5* hotels in Thailand and could not spend more per day on holiday than my normal life cost elsewhere. In that sense, I could perhaps say that I was able to live like a king on what was much less than my normal living costs.

A good few years ago, I stumbled across a small island in the South Andaman. Its name was Koh Mook. It was idyllic. A small bay, simple wooden hut structures as rooms, electric perhaps a few hours a day if you were lucky and cold water heated far too hot by the all day sun. Food was largely whatever the fishermen had been able to catch and what Ang and Chai, the owners of the accommodation and small restaurant had been able to purchase from them at reasonable cost. Occasional forays to the mainland could bring back rewards such as selections of meat whilst blue swimming crabs were a great delicacy. Booze was Thai gut rot or large bottles of beer, Chang or Singha only.

We left and then went back because no-where else came close at that time. It was before Charlie fucked the place up aka Phi Phi but for those months, it was idyllic and it was living like a king on peanuts. We could not spend Bt1000 between two of us, accommodated, fed and watered. I'll never forget that.

good post,but many could not do that as their life style in suburbia is very lazy

I always allow £30 for hotel, £20 for meals and £75 to £100 for beer and BG's. total per day £125 - £150

Thats the more realistic cost for a good trip

You spend 1050 baht a day on food? What or where are you eating? 1575 baht per night for a room is also a bit over the top. You could easily cut your food and room expenditure in half. It is possible to dine well and have a nice clean air conditioned room for 1/3 of what you are spending.

Nice one mate but i didnt save my money to squander on in laws and not even living with your wife and 2 kids,very strange but you make it work so good on you

I agree and the other older members of the family put in, I am not supporting the whole family, just my lady and her two daughters. But the household consists of all females, and I being the only male, while scary at times, qualifies me as the only one with the who can claim the mantle of the house! If you get my drift.

I agree and the other older members of the family put in, I am not supporting the whole family, just my lady and her two daughters. But the household consists of all females, and I being the only male, while scary at times, qualifies me as the only one with the who can claim the mantle of the house! If you get my drift.

I fully understand that,but i have come to retire and chill out.Hope you made the right choice as the whole family relies on you.Have you thought about investing in something to keep the family working to stop them thinking you are the bread winner and getting lazy

(jamie392305 @ Jan 12 2010, 10:12 PM)

I always allow £30 for hotel, £20 for meals and £75 to £100 for beer and BG's. total per day £125 - £150

Thats the more realistic cost for a good trip

You spend 1050 baht a day on food? What or where are you eating? 1575 baht per night for a room is also a bit over the top. You could easily cut your food and room expenditure in half. It is possible to dine well and have a nice clean air conditioned room for 1/3 of what you are spending.

Yeah, I agree. Not many spend that much on food but you would round it up to £20 in GBP terms. You can really only price it in THB terms though and I'd say I used to spend around Bt500 all in on food max and often down as low as Bt200/300. That could be £5 a day. A guest house can be had for £10 per day or £15 tops. Even hotels with pools for £15 in the thick of things outside high season. As ever, booze and birds are what kills any budget.

I fully understand that,but i have come to retire and chill out.Hope you made the right choice as the whole family relies on you.Have you thought about investing in something to keep the family working to stop them thinking you are the bread winner and getting lazy

Good Idea. Definitely needs some research. If I am to provide then they can help me do that! Good Idea.

Good Idea. Definitely needs some research. If I am to provide then they can help me do that! Good Idea.

Check with family members about their skills and get some ideas too.Doesnt have to cost a fortune but food for thought.Will pm you if i can think of any ideas

have a good day

Having been to Thailand 5 times over 10 years I can say that $20US a day is a back packers rate.

1,000 baht a night for a reasonable room with ABF Even 700 baht rooms are borderline.

300 a day for cheap food, I like my bangers and mash.

300 for other such as transportation, gifts, drinks.

1,600 a day is about $47

Well above $20

Having been to Thailand 5 times over 10 years I can say that $20US a day is a back packers rate.

1,000 baht a night for a reasonable room with ABF Even 700 baht rooms are borderline.

300 a day for cheap food, I like my bangers and mash.

300 for other such as transportation, gifts, drinks.

1,600 a day is about $47

Well above $20

Yes but different if living in Thailand, for a start you can rent a nice studio for 8k a month, i mean fok you can rent a 2 bed house on the darkside for 8k a month, buy one and no rent, same applies to cars/motorbikes so then negliable transport costs, utilities are pretty cheap, water and gas are next to nothing, electric may cost 1000-3000 baht a month depending how much you like aircon, a couple of big shop in the supermarket once a week, and you'll still have at least 500 baht a day to spend on beer out of a 40k a month budget, which will get you pissed in any number of shop house bars if you need to everyday.

Maybe I could save alot more than I do, but I am paying for the security of a good hotel, jaccussi in room, decent pool etc etc.

I don't travel 6000 miles to stay in a flea infested back-packers hostel.

If eating chicken on a stick is your thing mate you go for it, myself, I enjoy eating a decent steak most nights with all the trimmings, X2 if I'm with a TG. :D

Some of you know my situation. I was laid off work while on holiday here. Decided to stay for a while. Budgeted 100us a day. I haven't spent more than 2400b yet and I'm having a great time! I would consider myself in semiholiday mode. I get a LT lady about every other day. Just food for thought.

Yesterday took lady to Ko Larn, ferry both ways, rented bike, eat thai, She stayed LT, Had a great day for 2400b-hotel. But I'm in a nice 500b loom with balcony overlooking LK Metro, might move into an identical room no balcony for 400b. I think this was my most expensive day since beeing laid off.

Edited by win

It really depends. On my first trip to LOS in 1987 I was there for 3 months and my daily budget was 274 Baht (seriously). From that I had to pay for everything including accomodation. I did it, had to share rooms at times with my mates, spent hours getting to Surat Thani 3rd class on a train. 40 Baht per night beach bungalow on Samui. Most of my sex was for free (benefit of youth). The thing is though that I had the time of my life. These days my daily budget would be 5000 to 7000 Baht per day on holiday.

You can have a good time on the cheap if you live there but I hate it when people relly on those "Live like a king" stories because you just know they are cruising for disappointment if they intend to spend all their time partying in BKK or Pattaya.

When I explain it to people these days I tell them that you will spend a lot of money but you'll be pleased with what you'll get for it.

Ok for those reading this and thinking of making a move these were my approx monthly costs. I lived in Pattaya for 2 and a half years with my wife and daughter returning to Australia last year. Feeding 3 people so a single guy would spend less on food, electricty etc.

Small 2 bedroom furnished house on the Darkside 9000

Electricity 1000

Water 300

Village security, garbage collection, maintenance 200

Supermarket food 8000 (2000 a week )

Restuarants, markets, street sellers food 9000 ( 400 a day)

2 nights out a week with mates 16,000. ( Say on average one 1000 bar fine per week , not likely but just say this for this example, and 3000 on drinks over 2 nights)

Misc transport motor cycles etc 800.

School fees 5833. ( 70,000 per year) for very average bilingual school)

BUPA Health Ins for family 6666 ( 80K a year for only a basic hospital family cover)

Petrol for car 4000

Car Ins 1666

So far I am up to 62,465 per month and nothing as yet is factored in for savings, trips home or visa runs, other medical costs, pharmacy bills ( I am a diabetic so mine were high). If you are on a retirement visa you need to get 800,000 in the bank 3 months before the visa expires.

If you are more than 2 people you need to buy a car. I bought a new Honda Jazz for 630,000.

I believe it is not cheap but I will say my standard of living was much better than in Aus even though here I have a much higher income, and I will certainly go back to live in Thailand. If not permanently at least sveral months a year when I retire.

I hope this helps someone who is thinking of the move.

I send my lady 30000 baht per month. She has 2 daughters, her sister and her daughter and her mother all living there. That is 6 women under the one roof. So when I come to stay I am the only male, so guess I'm the only one qualified to be the King!

Damn, and I complain about the amount I give the lady that stays with me full time. Am I cheap, or are you overly generous? Both maybe?

• Downvote 2

To "Live like a King" as i see it is just a state of mind. Hell, the minute i get out of Swampy and into that taxi to Patts i can tell ya' im feelin' remarkably royal. Forget the money, the very fact we can afford to be there on any budget is gold. I am fortunate enough these days not to have to worry too much about what i spend but that has deffinetly NOT been the case up until recently. Im in my 50's and have been comming to Thailand & most of S.E.Asia since i was 24. countless trips of up to a year at a time, and yes, most of those as a penniless backpacker. The experiences and memories are priceless, you may even say FIT FOR A KING !

What ever our standards of living are,and who ever comes on here claiming they live on 200,000 a month or 25,000 a month,one thing we all need to be equals

Good health

We should all be blessed if we have this, as our lives will be more fullfilling and the healthy ones should take care of the sick instead of thinking about the next fuck.

As an ordinary working bloke I can only manage three two week trips a year so guess I am just a holidaymaker.

Even so up until recently I had a regular girl who I saw and whilst certainly not a LDOP my costs for a decent Hotel , (Areca or equivalent),Our food, drinks,modest entertainment and her "salary" for a fortnight made me budget 100 UK Pounds a day to cover all.

Just slightly off topic as recently as 4-5 years ago there used to be quite a few shops selling beer at shop prices that had seating outside,I remember a couple in Soi Dianna. They seem to have virtually disappeared.

They where a great source of a cheap night and so much better than sitting in your room with 7/11 booze if you where skint.

Ok for those reading this and thinking of making a move these were my approx monthly costs. I lived in Pattaya for 2 and a half years with my wife and daughter returning to Australia last year. Feeding 3 people so a single guy would spend less on food, electricty etc.

Small 2 bedroom furnished house on the Darkside 9000

Electricity 1000

Water 300

Village security, garbage collection, maintenance 200

Supermarket food 8000 (2000 a week )

Restuarants, markets, street sellers food 9000 ( 400 a day)

2 nights out a week with mates 16,000. ( Say on average one 1000 bar fine per week , not likely but just say this for this example, and 3000 on drinks over 2 nights)

Misc transport motor cycles etc 800.

School fees 5833. ( 70,000 per year) for very average bilingual school)

BUPA Health Ins for family 6666 ( 80K a year for only a basic hospital family cover)

Petrol for car 4000

Car Ins 1666

So far I am up to 62,465 per month and nothing as yet is factored in for savings, trips home or visa runs, other medical costs, pharmacy bills ( I am a diabetic so mine were high). If you are on a retirement visa you need to get 800,000 in the bank 3 months before the visa expires.

If you are more than 2 people you need to buy a car. I bought a new Honda Jazz for 630,000.

I believe it is not cheap but I will say my standard of living was much better than in Aus even though here I have a much higher income, and I will certainly go back to live in Thailand. If not permanently at least sveral months a year when I retire.

I hope this helps someone who is thinking of the move.

This seems realistic from what I have experienced.

How the hell anybody can exist on 1K/Day beggars belief.

• 8 months later...
I send my lady 30000 baht per month. She has 2 daughters, her sister and her daughter and her mother all living there. That is 6 women under the one roof. So when I come to stay I am the only male, so guess I'm the only one qualified to be the King!

Well considering you're paying a Kings Ransom they should treat you like one.

HEY MATE

dont knock cheap charlies,one day you might become one.The 2 week millionaire syndrome is nothing new,you guys think you are rich and are the only ones in the world living like that.What about the families spending 100 quid a day on a 5 star hotel.Makes me laugh when you lot talk about all this money you throw.oops i mean spend on women and drinks,then spending all day in bed and going back still pale as a ghost.

Enjoy the freezing weather in wales and think of me on my 2,000 baht a day living life very well thankyou,retired at 49 and trying to remember what its like to be frozen,and bored out of your mind working 14 hours a day.

Keep Pattaya alive millionaire holiday makers,keep the girls happy with loads of money and us expats will cheer,chokdee you when the girls are buying us drinks

ps

i still have 10,000,000 baht to fall back on and another 800 quid a month when i get retirement age with pension and serps

Don't worry Brat pack I will be there in late January to make my controbution.

I budget about 10K baht per day not including hotel. I don't drink a lot but i find i spend a lot on food as i prefer western food. Somedays i'm over budget and other days I'm under.

I guess i live I live like a "KING" if i want it i buy it or fuck it. I don't let a silly thing like money ruin my holiday, You spend so much getting there why cheap out when you arrive?

that's directed at the 2-3 week tourist not ex pats or guys who stay for months.

Not including hotel I believe you can have a good holiday on 3000 baht a day (£60), you may not live like a king, but you can eat really well if you stick to thai food, which i like. I like to go the gym, thats cheap enough, I'll lie on the beach reading and people watching, thats cheap, go to the pool on mike shopping mall, cheap, go fishing to pattaya fishing park, cheap and good fun and come evening I'll go out and have a good drinking session which can be relatively cheap if you keep out of gogo's and walking street, and as for ladies, i'll have at least 1 a day, often from the coconut bar, sometimes from a beer bar and I very rarely pay more than 500 baht (i always make sure they have id cards).

If I tried to have a day like that in Majorca say, I'd be lucky to get by on £200 a day, and thats not including ladies. Ps, last visit I took 3 girls from the beach and a bottle of baby oil back to my hotel and for 1500 b (£30) they certainly made me feel like a king (they wouldn't stop till I had come 3 times, once each they said). I couldn't get a lap dance for £30 in majorca. I'm not a cheap charley, which is a ridiculas name for someone on a budget, but I won't throw money around to impress a prostitute :grin-jump