Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 178 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Gooses Fish and Chips...

Everywhere serves up fish and chips in Pattaya, but lately you could be forgiven for not knowing what type of fish you were getting.

I saw this place advertised on Pattaya 1, and HM looks like a man who knows his food so I thought I would give it a go.

Here is another review.... which will give more detail for those who want it.

Located between Soi 7 & 8 on the fun side of 2nd rd, good place to fill up before a beer bar or two. A couple of seats outside for the smokers but I prefer to get away from the 2nd rd pollution, so went into the bright, traditional interior. It's a single shop house so long and thin, but quite pleasnt.

Cod fillet, chips and mushy peas for me, with a slice and a soda, about 260 baht. A bit more than some cheaper eateries..

Service polite and attentive, and a bit of a wait as there were 4-5 ahead of me.

It looked great on arrival, the fish had obviously been freshly cooked, and was perfect. Great batter, flakey and white flesh, very nice.

Chips tasted good, although the portion was more Thai than farang size. Glad I ordered a slice.

The mushy peas were poor, a small cold serving that had likely been sat on a cold plate awaiting the fish, if they were indeed ever hot.

They were pured garden peas, hence overly sweet and not the real deal.

(Do they actually serve mashed garden peas anywhere in the UK?).

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tip for a good fish and chips is still NeeRoys in soi chiapoon. 99baht (it was last year)and mushy peas at 25 baht,real mushy peas and hot.This was the best place I found for good batter ,prices and taste,I wont promise its Cod cause I am not sure it is but, I am sure that it is as good if not better than a whole lot of the chippies at home.

PS a good portion of good sized chips as well.

Everywhere serves up fish and chips in Pattaya, but lately you could be forgiven for not knowing what type of fish you were getting.

I saw this place advertised on Pattaya 1, and HM looks like a man who knows his food so I thought I would give it a go.

Here is another review.... which will give more detail for those who want it.

Located between Soi 7 & 8 on the fun side of 2nd rd, good place to fill up before a beer bar or two. A couple of seats outside for the smokers but I prefer to get away from the 2nd rd pollution, so went into the bright, traditional interior. It's a single shop house so long and thin, but quite pleasnt.

Cod fillet, chips and mushy peas for me, with a slice and a soda, about 260 baht. A bit more than some cheaper eateries..

Service polite and attentive, and a bit of a wait as there were 4-5 ahead of me.

It looked great on arrival, the fish had obviously been freshly cooked, and was perfect. Great batter, flakey and white flesh, very nice.

Chips tasted good, although the portion was more Thai than farang size. Glad I ordered a slice.

The mushy peas were poor, a small cold serving that had likely been sat on a cold plate awaiting the fish, if they were indeed ever hot.

They were pured garden peas, hence overly sweet and not the real deal.

(Do they actually serve mashed garden peas anywhere in the UK?).

Portions too small,tasty enough though

Portions too small,tasty enough though
Yes, I felt that too but I am a bit of a 'pig'......

Perhaps aimed at getting you to have a dessert or some extra onion rings.

Still a good fish even if I found the use of the word 'loin' applied to cod as confusing. Didn't know fish had an area between the ribs and rump... or even ribs and a rump?

Some places are serving up freshwater fish, some which are too soft and absorb too much oil during cooking. At a Thai seafood place I tend to avoid the all too common 'snapper' and go for a grouper, but they are quite expensive now.

Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, I felt that too but I am a bit of a 'pig'......

Perhaps aimed at getting you to have a dessert or some extra onion rings.

Still a good fish even if I found the use of the word 'loin' applied to cod as confusing. Didn't know fish had an area between the ribs and rump... or even ribs and a rump?

Some places are serving up freshwater fish, some which are too soft and absorb too much oil during cooking. At a Thai seafood place I tend to avoid the all too common 'snapper' and go for a grouper, but they are quite expensive now.

I think the bottom line on fish is that people want to know what they are getting and some don't mind to pay for cod or other imported varieties if they actually get that fish and it is good quality. The biggest worry is that you pay out Bt300 for local fish which they sell to you as cod.

Having gotten the fish right, you would think they could sort out decent chips and the side dishes.

Guest The Real Parkwahn

I had the large fish and chips there yesterday, was not to bad the chips portion was small but the fish good had the peas they were fine.

Worth a go IMHO very clean the place was but the service a bit slow, I have found that in farang places I guess being done to order takes time.

Why would anyone pay 260 baht for a fish'n chips meal? You can get the fish'n chips for about that same price, maybe cheaper, at the Sizzler and you get the all you can eat salad bar buffet as well for free. Leave the fish'n chips on the plate, fill up on the free salad bar, and have them put the F&C in a box and take it home and eat it later. Best value for money F&C in all of Thailand IMHO.

Why would anyone pay 260 baht for a fish'n chips meal? You can get the fish'n chips for about that same price, maybe cheaper, at the Sizzler and you get the all you can eat salad bar buffet as well for free. Leave the fish'n chips on the plate, fill up on the free salad bar, and have them put the F&C in a box and take it home and eat it later. Best value for money F&C in all of Thailand IMHO.

Bloody hell Stinky what a cracking idea hehehehhe

What was that place on Sukhumvit,just past soi chiapruk(sp) 1,on the opposite side,had a union jack sign outside.The fish and chips were amazing and for about 125 baht if i remember.I think its closed now but was amazing value

You are an American, good fish and chips is something you don't get.

I mean you guys eat catfish and rave about it.....catfish are ugly bottom vacuumers.

I mean you guys eat catfish and rave about it.....catfish are ugly bottom vacuumers.

I can take you to a few 'fish & chip' joints in the Philadelphia area that are comparable to the best fish joints in London. :allright

I had lunch today with a friend and I was disappointed with the cod. Fish was tasteless and the breading was not cooked enough. Not crisp enough for my taste. Mashed potatoes were OK and the baked beans were straight from the Campbell's can.

My friend liked his lunch and thought the cod was tasty. I'll give them another try in a few days.

There have been a few cases of Vietnamese cobbler fish being passed off as Cod in the uk, it seams to have started to happen in the late night chippys after a few beers and since the Muslins have bought these businesses to make a quick buck

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle6695267.ece

here we have trading standards to bring alot of these companies to task, there is not alot of difference in the taste, but if this low level scam is done in the uk i would be pretty sure it would be done in Thailand

I can take you to a few 'fish & chip' joints in the Philadelphia area that are comparable to the best fish joints in London. :allright

Will you pay for my flight over there and a hotel?......

Edited by jacko
I had lunch today with a friend and I was disappointed with the cod. Fish was tasteless and the breading was not cooked enough. Not crisp enough for my taste. Mashed potatoes were OK and the baked beans were straight from the Campbell's can.

My friend liked his lunch and thought the cod was tasty. I'll give them another try in a few days.

Bid D. Sorry to say it, but if you are talking about Breaded Cod, Mashed Potatoes and Baked Beans you're way off the mark on this thread. The traditional British meal is similar to the pic below. No offence.

Fish_and_Chips.jpg

FWIW some of the best fish and chips I had on my recent stay in Pattaya was in Pattaya Beer Garden for, I think, 190 baht. Secrets also does a nice job with them. Not sure about the species of fish in either but both were bloody nice.

Yeah, and what with the closed borders and absolutely no immigration or foreign-owned businesses allowed....

This took me almost 30 seconds counting Google and the blasted "manage current attachments" thingmy. It's in a small town in Colorado state. There might be one or two others, you think? Yeah, you're probably right, really.... not a CHANCE there would be British fish and chips in the US.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

They're such provincials, those old colonials. No foreign contact at all.

Edited by joekicker

Those F&C look rather good Joe, but it's an internet pic not your own....

What about THESE.

IMG_1054__640x480_.jpg

Mrs Cap and I were in the Uk over the weekend and we just had time for lunch airside at Leeds airport on the way back. They had a 2 main courses for £10 offer so Mrs. Cap got Chicken and Mushroom Pie and I got Fish & Chips. Man U v Liverpool was on in the bar so it wasn't busy in the restaurant and the Sikh kid behind the counter said "I'll cook them fresh for you sir".

They were bloody EXCELLENT - who'd have thunk? Just a tip for any northerners reading - I think were cooked in beef dripping too as there was a special fryer just for the fish. Good food in an AIRPORT!!!!!

BTW - My faves in Pattaya so far are Pig and Whistle and Simon's (Jomtien).

Yours in culinary delights

Andy Cap

Edited by capdagde