Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I was on the 11th floor of a Jomtien building - had plenty of mosquitoes.

They can breed there, or get carried up by the wind.

Mine are smart (or lazy). They come up in the elevator. Many's the time I have entered the elevator to find I am captive snack for a half dozen of the buggers waiting for me.

My building finally put in some sort of bug killing gadget in the elevators, so the problem is lessened now.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use a bug zapper in the bedroom. put it on an hour before bed and with the wall fan on i never have a problem at night with mossies

Hi Tom,

How does the zapper work ? Is it a plug-in device which electrocutes the little "rascals" or a deterrent of some sort to make them feel unwelcome.

Are there such a thing as anti-mozzie candles or are they a fire hazard ?

cheers rogero :kissing :devil :beer

cheers rogero :kissing :devil :beer

Mozzie coils, not candles - sort of like a coiled joss stick. Make sure that it's on something that won't burn, light it, blow the flame out, and it'll give off a smoke that mozzies don't like for hours.

Mine are smart (or lazy). They come up in the elevator. Many's the time I have entered the elevator to find I am captive snack for a half dozen of the buggers waiting for me.

My building finally put in some sort of bug killing gadget in the elevators, so the problem is lessened now.

Evolution is pretty amazing! I wouldn't be surprised if they have figured it out!

In my case though, I never saw (or felt) a mosquito in the elevator.

Mozzie coils, not candles - sort of like a coiled joss stick. Make sure that it's on something that won't burn, light it, blow the flame out, and it'll give off a smoke that mozzies don't like for hours.

Indeed. They smoulder, like incense roughly. Any kind of market has lots of them.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the dengue fever infection toll continues to rise. The accumulated number of patients now stands at 36,087 nationwide or 56.81% per 100,000 population.

link

Please can someone explain how 36.087 patients nationwide is 56.81% per 100,000 population. What am I missing or is it a case of TIT?

Glyn.

Please can someone explain how 36.087 patients nationwide is 56.81% per 100,000 population. What am I missing or is it a case of TIT?

Glyn.

You are right. That figure is baloney.

56% per 100,000 means that 56 percent of the population is stricken, which is obviously not right.

Hi Tom,

How does the zapper work ? Is it a plug-in device which electrocutes the little "rascals" or a deterrent of some sort to make them feel unwelcome.

cheers rogero :rolleyes: :lol: :D

I think your question has been left unanswered so I will give it a go (since I am a mossie neurotic.. :D)

A zapper is a plug-in violet lamp inside a grid of metal rods with a high voltage across them.

The little devil is attracted to the light, and causes a short between the rods and is killed.

The one I have doesn't give off an electric spark so doesn't disturb you in the night, but I also have some tennis bat like devices which use a much higher voltage and you sweep around and get a very satisfying zap when you hit one. Great fun!

Edited by jacko

Glyn.

36,087 patients Nationwide works out at 56.81 patients per 100,000 of the population .

I think your question has been left unanswered so I will give it a go (since I am a mossie neurotic.. :D)

A zapper is a plug-in violet lamp inside a grid of metal rods with a high voltage across them.

The little devil is attracted to the light, and causes a short between the rods and is killed.

The one I have doesn't give off an electric spark so doesn't disturb you in the night, but I also have some tennis bat like devices which use a much higher voltage and you sweep around and get a very satisfying zap when you hit one. Great fun!

Thanks Jacko for that. I also like the idea of the electric bat. (I love gadgets) I expect Tukcom has them.

Also thanks to Big-Brian & JK for explaining about the mozzie coils, I had heard the name before but didn't understand their function.

cheers rogero :thumbup :rolleyes: B)

I think your question has been left unanswered so I will give it a go (since I am a mossie neurotic.. :thumbup)

d_64879.jpg

I also use the old thai recipe, the bowl on the balcony with small fishes... it seems it works... in Pattaya I have 1-2 mosquito bites / month... at home ( in this year too many mosquitoes ) I look like i have chicken-pox... from the bites...

Thanks Jacko for that. I also like the idea of the electric bat. (I love gadgets) I expect Tukcom has them.
Every supermarket has them... BigC, Carrefour, Tesco. They are rechargeable.

However tempting it might seem, do not put your tongue on the wires.... :rolleyes:

Hi Tom,

cheers rogero :beer :beer :beer

You can buy the plug in deterants for your house. Which are a liquid slowly disbhursed over a number of days. We bought a Thai brand from Big C and we had loads of Mozzies still. Changed it to a Raid one and Voila no more bedroom nightime Mozzies.

i was on holiday last year in june with surry when he contacted dengue fever and visited him in hospital back in sheffield, he was really rough and it took him a few weeks to get back to normal, luckily never caught it myself :banghead

ever since have always used mozzie spray with at least 50 per cent deet, can get same from boots pharmacy (boots jungle strength) in uk and thailand, a bonus is that it's not sticky but feels comfortable and smells ok too, thinks it's about 400 baht a time

only time have been bitten since was twice during day from same beach road cafe that had a water feature but never at night time when i've used the spray :whistling:

cheers

al :rolleyes:

The tennis racket looking ones rock. They can either be battery or plug-in rechargeable. It gives great satisfaction swinging it and hearing the night pop of a critter getting fried. If feeling a little warped, head out at night to a porch light or somewhere lots of flying bugs are swarming around and swing away. Great fun. They work great against flies, dragon flies, bees, mosquitoes, and any other flying beast big enough to make a connection between the two grids. Never tried the tongue as mentioned in a previous post. Looks like my shopping list keeps getting bigger and bigger.

• 2 months later...

Just heard on news that Andy Irons, (3 times world champion surfer) has died from Dengue Fever. I hadn't been too concerned about it until now that I am aware you can die from it....

Edited by yorta2

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/andy-iro...f-1225947091233

THREE-time world surfing champion Andy Irons has died from suspected dengue fever on his way home from the tournament in Puerto Rico, according to media reports today.

Irons, who had been at the Peurto Rico international championship event but not competed due to ill-health, was returning to Hawaii but died before arriving home. He was aged 32.

Reports said that Irons was too ill with suspected dengue fever to take his connecting flight to Hawaii upon arriving at Dallas, Texas and had died in a Dallas hotel.

I knew Andy since he was a littlle kid and the news came hard today. While reports of substance abuse do have merit, he died of Dengue fever. 10 others on the tour reportedly caught it as well. I'll hear much more over the next few days. Andy was a great kid. Uber-sadly...he will never see the child his wife is carrying. RIP AI.

Extract from an ABC (Australia) news report today:

Infectious disease expert Robert Booy says while dengue fever can be fatal, the chances of Irons dying from the virus are rare.

"This is a rare event because this is a quite a common disease; 2.5 billion people are at risk of being bitten by the mosquito that caries the dengue fever virus, and indeed about 100 million people develop the illness every year," he said.

"But only about 25,000 to 50,000 of the 100 million die. So well under 1 per cent are a fatality, and 90 per cent of fatalities are in children."

But Professor Booy said if Irons had previously contracted the virus, as reported, this would increase the chances of a fatality.

"The first time you get it you tend to have only a fever and maybe a mild rash, headache, muscle and bone aches," he said.

"The second time you get it you can get a much more severe form, called dengue hemorrhagic fever, where you actually get bleeding into the skin, and into the organs inside the body as well as the fever and other muscle and joint pains and that can lead to shock and even to death."

Here's to hoping (I guess) that Andy did in fact die from this virus. Rumours are swirling both here and abroad. None helping the griving process of Phil and the rest of the Irons' family. I'm sure the press would like for this to be another tragic story of drugs and athletes, but at the end of the day, he was just a real good kid. I believe the autopsy is scheduled for today. AI RIP.