Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Etihad advertising flights for GBP 500 (incl taxes)

Anyone had any any recent experience with them?.....e.g. stopover times and flight experience as compared to flying direct with Eva

Having never flown with Etihad your thoughts/opinions would be welcome

I've looked at various reviews on flight forums and opinions seem to be mixed :clueless

Thanks

Den

Hi Den

Flown Etihad 4 times now,( albeit to different desintations), and i cant find anything to wrong them on.

On my BKK flights, both leg stopovers were only 2 hours each way, so no real problems there. Ok, Abu Dhabi is proberly 1 of the smallest international airports you will ever come across, with not very much in the duty free area, but for only 2 hours, its passable to wait.

Etihad itself, always had plenty of legroom, IFE has more than enough movies to keep you entertained(and all new releases as well), the food is not bad, for airline food, and me and my mate were always served beer on tap whenever we wanted it.

ThailandSept2010202.jpg

ThailandSept2010204.jpg

Edited by firth1974

firth1974

I dont know when the last time is that you went to Abu Dhabi airport was.I know it used to be small but its not anymore.

I have flown with Etihad about 8 times and i rate them number 1,although the stopover is only 1hr 30 mins it is still a stop and i prefer to go direct.

firth1974

I dont know when the last time is that you went to Abu Dhabi airport was.I know it used to be small but its not anymore.

I have flown with Etihad about 8 times and i rate them number 1,although the stopover is only 1hr 30 mins it is still a stop and i prefer to go direct.

Yes, i have been through the new terminal, but its not all that big at the end of the day. Sure, the gate areas for the flights are quite large, but the actually catering/duty free area isnt that big really.

Etihad itself, always had plenty of legroom, IFE has more than enough movies to keep you entertained(and all new releases as well), the food is not bad, for airline food, and me and my mate were always served beer on tap whenever we wanted it.

Aren't the Etihad 777s on the BKK route configured 10 across (3-4-3) in economy?

Aren't the Etihad 777s on the BKK route configured 10 across (3-4-3) in economy?

Nope, 3-3-3 all the way across. Their Airbus jets are configured as 2-4-2.

What happened to the retrofit? Business Traveller and FlightGlobal, both reputable sources, reported the airline was reconfiguring the Y cabins in its 77W aircraft to 10 across. Notwithstanding the seating issue, thanks for the multitude of reports you've put on the board over the last couple of days.

Admittingly, the last time i flew with them, was just short of 2 years ago. Maybe they have changed the seat plans since them.

But, Seatguru still has them as a 3-3-3 on their website.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etihad_Airways/Etihad_Airways_Boeing_777-300ER.php

Admittingly, the last time i flew with them, was just short of 2 years ago. Maybe they have changed the seat plans since them.

But, Seatguru still has them as a 3-3-3 on their website.

http://www.seatguru....g_777-300ER.php

Yes, I'm aware of that, but both Emirates and Etihad have removed the seat maps for that particular aircraft from their respective sites. I fly biz class these days and Qatar's biz class, particularly on its 777s, and Oman Air's is a much better choice than Etihad - IMHO.

Oh, and they sponsor those bastards at Eastlands. :lsmile

Edited by CheshireTom

I flew with Etihad earlier this year on a 777 and can confirm they did have ten across in economy, only with less legroom than Emirates, and a bloody footrest that got in the way of getting comfortable either up or down.

I wasn't impressed with them at all, mainly due to the leg room. Give them credit for their food though, it was reasonable.

Much prefer Emirates, flying with Qatar in a couple of days for the first time.

Regards

firth1974

I would not go as far as to rate them number 1.

I last flew Biz Class with them, and in that cabin I think Qatar are better, and I aspire to being able to afford Singapore.

Punctuality and layover times were good, found Abu Dhabi airport too crowded and inefficient.

I flew with Etihad last week, Business class, was exceptional, the service was great, chauffeur from my home to Heathrow and return and flight superb, flat beds etc. Cannot fault them, will definitely fly with them again, only just over 1 hour transit at Abu Dhabi and 2 hours return but it was nice to get off, have a shower and walk about for a bit.

I flew MAN to BKK on Etihad 777's earlier this year and on both sectors they were 3-4-3 config. The new deliveries have been built that way and the older ones have been retrofitted the higher density config.

Edited by TheFiend
  • 2 weeks later...

I would not go as far as to rate them number 1.

I last flew Biz Class with them, and in that cabin I think Qatar are better, and I aspire to being able to afford Singapore.

Punctuality and layover times were good, found Abu Dhabi airport too crowded and inefficient.

Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has won the award for “Best Business Class” at the 2011 Biz Travel Forum in Milan.

In its ninth year, the Biz Travel Forum is a travel trade exhibition, involving services and technology for business travel. The event is supported by Uvet American Express Corporate Travel.

Travel managers, human resource directors, facility managers, and travel buyers of medium and large companies involved in the Italian travel management field voted for the award.

The forum has become an important point of reference for all the sectors in the Italian transportation and travel industry, including airlines, hotel chains, car rental companies and those in the GDS booking system.

Peter Baumgartner, Etihad Airways’ Chief Commercial Officer, said: “This is yet another wonderful recognition of how well our product strategy and service philosophy work for our guests and to win this award reinforces our ongoing commitment to excellence. It is great to see investments paying back and leading us to success in attracting more and more of the premium travel market in Italy.”

Etihad Airways’ Pearl Business Class features a seat that converts to a fully flat bed. New advanced Business Class seats have now been introduced, which are longer and wider, all with direct aisle access in a 1-2-1 configuration. The seats include larger meal and cocktail tables, luxurious leather headrests, armrests and ottomans upholstered by Poltrona Frau, ambient lighting with dimmer settings, more storage space and a state-of-the-art Panasonic eX2 inflight entertainment system with a 15.4 inch personal screen.

For an even more personalised service, the Pearl Business cabin also has a dedicated Food and Beverage Manager, providing expertise and guidance to guests on all culinary matters – a key winning component of the airline’s inspired service concept.

I flew with them in Biz for 4 flights in September (2011). I found the seat a little cramped and the IFS on a couple of the legs not good.

By the last leg I had seen all the films I wanted to see on their system.

The lounge in Abu Dhabi is too small and sometimes you can't get a seat, compare it to the Qatar one which is large.

Impressed by the free Limo though, but sadly couldn't use it on 3/4 legs (they don't go free to Pattaya).

I also contend don't fly with them during Ramadan, service seems to deteriorate.

Etihad is building a new terminal in AD same same Emirates in Dubai. It will be a Etihad termial only and the facilities will be amazing from what I have heard.

If you had 4 flights in a month there is no way the IFS can keep up with you! As for the service being less during ramadan I cannot understand as 99.9% of all flight attendants are non muslim so should not matter to them. They are now offering free upgrades from business to first on selcted flights. If you fly as ofen as you do it would be worthwhile to check out. used to live in Holland so for me it was great to get away from KLM, live in UAE now.

Etihad is building a new terminal in AD same same Emirates in Dubai. It will be a Etihad termial only and the facilities will be amazing from what I have heard.

If you had 4 flights in a month there is no way the IFS can keep up with you! As for the service being less during ramadan I cannot understand as 99.9% of all flight attendants are non muslim so should not matter to them. They are now offering free upgrades from business to first on selcted flights. If you fly as ofen as you do it would be worthwhile to check out. used to live in Holland so for me it was great to get away from KLM, live in UAE now.

I am glad to hear that Etihad will improve the facilities at AD, they are in need of it.

I do not see why the premium cabin IFE can not have capacity to store sufficient entertainment for what must be a regular passenger event, namely flying from Asia to Europe and back again within the same month. I have a memory stick nearby, capable of storing 16GB and it is no bigger than the tip of my thumb.

Where is your data coming from that 99.9% of Etihad attendants are non Muslim? I think that is bullshit. Since over 20% of the world's population is Muslim, and Etihad originates from a 100% Muslin country, I would say you are wrong. On my flights alone. Arabic is always represented in the crew, so your 1 in a 1000 is unlikely. The Ramadan effect extends beyond on the plane, if you live in the UAE, you should know that. I certainly experienced it.

I do not fly for pleasure, but for necessity,

Edited by jacko

if you have a memory stick then you can just plug it in and view your material on the big screen !

99.9% is probably stretching a bit but certainly a majority of FA are non muslim. Being arab also doesn't mean you are automatically muslim. Anyway muslim or not I find Ethihad a very good airline IMO. Cheers

if you have a memory stick then you can just plug it in and view your material on the big screen !

99.9% is probably stretching a bit but certainly a majority of FA are non muslim. Being arab also doesn't mean you are automatically muslim. Anyway muslim or not I find Ethihad a very good airline IMO. Cheers

Good idea, although after paying £1700 I don't expect to supply my own IFE.

I know being Arab does not automatically mean being a Muslim, but being from the Emirates does. My point was that on both Qatar and Etihad, when I have travelled during Ramadan, the service seemed inferior. What is available at the airport in AD is also different then.

I tend to fly either Qatar or Etihad and base my choice on the cost of a Biz Class ticket, and I agree with you Etihad are a good airline. But I have had less than satisfactory service with them. I felt there was insufficient service staff out of Bangkok recently. The main meal took ages to arrive and no drinks were offered during the long wait. On the leg out of AD it was much better, but by then I was keen to sleep. A limo waiting at Manchester was fantastic.

Edited by jacko

Flew etihad Manchester return to BKK in november Manchester to Abudabi leg of trip air bus seating2 4 2 and very comfortuble. Abudabi to bkk 777 seating 343,a bit cramped seating and I m no giant,worse though was the rear cabin was so hot people were fanning them selves.On the return journey the rear cabin was cold at the rear part whilst still being hot at the front.The air hostess told me it was one of the oldest planes in the fleet and the air con been bad for ages in the rear cabin they didnt seem able to fix it.

Flew etihad Manchester return to BKK in november Manchester to Abudabi leg of trip air bus seating2 4 2 and very comfortuble. Abudabi to bkk 777 seating 343,a bit cramped seating and I m no giant,worse though was the rear cabin was so hot people were fanning them selves.On the return journey the rear cabin was cold at the rear part whilst still being hot at the front.The air hostess told me it was one of the oldest planes in the fleet and the air con been bad for ages in the rear cabin they didnt seem able to fix it.

Never had a problem with Etihad in economy but rear seats can be hot on all aircraft. I didnt notice any difference in the cabin but actually prefer the 777. food is excellent and in fact all the planes are quite new considering they completely replaced and updated the whole fleet over a very short time around 10 years ago I believe.

The facilities in Abu Dhabi are second to none. The new terminal is only a short walk (indoors) from the old one (tent shape ). The lounges are Waiter service hot food about 10 Internet wide screen Apple Macs. Beer on tap etc etc. much better than the old one (still used in the old terminal. The selection of hot food is excellent. I was served last time by a Louis Hamilton look alike and he brought me a beer every time my glass got near empty !!

I know a some people dont even know the new terminal exists. It fully open last year.

So I am confused why people complain about Abu Dabi its about as good as it gets.

Etihad rapidly gained a customer base by around 6 years ago when they were very competitive. Now they are pushing the prices as many regular prefer them. good schedules and short waiting times from Manchester and London etc.

Edited by alphacat

Never had a problem with Etihad in economy but rear seats can be hot on all aircraft. I didnt notice any difference in the cabin but actually prefer the 777. food is excellent and in fact all the planes are quite new considering they completely replaced and updated the whole fleet over a very short time around 10 years ago I believe.

You must be confusing them with some other airline. They didn't have any fleet to replace or update 10 years ago as they only received their first aircraft in 2003/2004.

Can anyone confirm what the situation is with their biz class? I flew in the narrow herringbone layout a couple of years ago and thought it was claustrophobic and pretty crap overall. I notice they are saying biz class is now 1-2-1 in line with that offered by Oman Air and Singapore Airlines. I would hate to fork out the cash expecting the new biz class and ending up with the old layout/design.

The facilities in Abu Dhabi are second to none. The new terminal is only a short walk (indoors) from the old one (tent shape ). The lounges are Waiter service hot food about 10 Internet wide screen Apple Macs. Beer on tap etc etc. much better than the old one (still used in the old terminal. The selection of hot food is excellent. I was served last time by a Louis Hamilton look alike and he brought me a beer every time my glass got near empty !!

I know a some people dont even know the new terminal exists. It fully open last year.

They were certainly at least second to Qatar when I went through there in September, has something better opened there since?

Or is this superior terminal somehow a secret?

I just followed the signs for transit passengers, crushed through a security check, funnelled through a duty free shopping area and then head for the Biz lounge (up the stairs or lift). There were hardly any seats and I had to go to the bar and ask for a beer. A far cry from the superior service of being taken to a dedicated large premium lounge building in Qatar.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew with them in Biz for 4 flights in September (2011). I found the seat a little cramped and the IFS on a couple of the legs not good.

By the last leg I had seen all the films I wanted to see on their system.

The lounge in Abu Dhabi is too small and sometimes you can't get a seat, compare it to the Qatar one which is large.

Impressed by the free Limo though, but sadly couldn't use it on 3/4 legs (they don't go free to Pattaya).

I also contend don't fly with them during Ramadan, service seems to deteriorate.

I flew with them during Ramadan in 2007. Service was ok but for some weird reason they would give you a beer but not the can !! You had to have the plastic glass filled and then they took away the half full can.....

As I always sit in the final row its easy to walk into the galley for reloads but same scenario-glass full and throw away the half full can...