Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya Beer Garden........RIP

Sad to say nothing has been addressed, no personal Pm to me, nothing at all. Actually, Pete responded to your complaint the same day you started the tread... see page 1

Thats ok, as I said I post my personal experience, just wanted to let others know how bad it was there. Which you have done (actually several times) and many of us have responded that from our "personal experience" the food is fine and we're happy to support the place with our continued patronage. Just a difference of opinions I guess...

On a side note, had brekkie there this morning, ordered the same meal, still served with potatoe wedges, not fries as stated, still the hard dried out beef that had been cut days before y the looks of it. Has Pete fixed it..........................................................NO Now here you have a point... it's hard to believe that the owner of a business wouldn't drop everything during the Christmas High Season week to address your complaint. A written public apology on the board where you raised the complaint, an offer of a full refund, and a promise to look into the matter, hardly seems like enough effort is being brought to bare.

He may be the best bloke on the planet (hardly the best on the planet but one of the better blokes I've met in Pattaya and certainly one of the best business owners in town), and I am not here to knock him (but yet you do) but maybe he should try some of the food that he thinks is so wonderful (I'm sure he does) because its not (Ah and there in lies the rub.. in your opinion).

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very good post....except that you missed out on the occasional bum cleavage from the girl servers....mmmmmmm yummy..

That thought makes 58 days seem like such a long time. :3some

It is a good, well articulated post. And its content is sensible. Just a bit however, IMO, on the moralistic side and not particularly helpful, except perhaps to the newest of the newbies and those that haven't traveled outside their home countries much, to neither of whom was the OP really addressing himself. The OP wasn't really describing a matter of taste, but rather of quality, both quality of product and quality of service. Moralising about one's expectations and behavior in a 3rd world country kind of serves to trivialize, however politely as in this case, the OP's complaint. You may agree or disagree with the OP, but suggesting that he's not "properly calibrated" to Thailand is not, again IMO, particularly relevant or helpful.

That is the first time I have ever been referred to as moralistic :huh: I guess being politically correct comes next. :yikes: I usually don't have the subtlety to suggest anything and my post was not an attempt to do so. It was just me expressing my own opinion based on the current thread for anyone to read and agree or disagree with. I was also not trying to be helpful to anyone, although if it does help, that is good. If my expressed thoughts seemed to make light of and trivialize the OP's concerns, that was not my intent and my apologies to the OP if that is how it was received.

With the date of my arrival in Pattaya getting closer and closer, what is the current average exchange rate for USD at the booths? Continuing this discussion over a cold beer is still an option. Playing with the BGs over a cold beer is a better option. Two LDs to the first BG to call me hansum man. See ya all soon.

• Upvote 2

Made a surprise visit this morning to test the current state of iced tea at the PBG.

I was getting worried that I would have to get a work visa because of constantly having to make my own in Thailand.

Why don't you just buy the stuff from any supermarket/7-11 like everyone else?

Around 15-18 Baht for a half-litre.

but with the same prices???

why not?thai food is not expensive to make...

i just dont understand what the problem is,i know its hard to make the staff work and perform at all times.

but i have many examples of friends that have restaurants which work out great!

the difference is that they have a non compromising relationship with the staff.

its business not a "friendship.

its not more expensive to make good food,but theres to many restaurant owners out there,

who doesnt really have an interest in food ,and dont understand refinement of it.

i know soo many "chefs"who cooks terrible food.

its the same with any establishment.

try to run a gogo or a bar with a "laxed" attitude...

that being said,i will continue going to PBG to support,i think it will become a great restaurant!

Edited by frankie8

Yesterday visited the venue with friends.... The start wasn't promising, the venue full, almost no seats available.... we looked for a seaview table....the rude and arrogant waitress burped out, No free tables, if you don't believe up to you... and left us...

We sat down in an inner table.... ordered the food, the waitress here was polite and kind, we wited 25-30 minutes for the food, what if fair IMO with such a huge venue full with customers.

The food - as my mates rated it - simple excellent...

Tom yum khung: Huge portion, 10 big shrimps in the soup, the broth was just right, not the usual spicy and sour water, but something thick.... and spicy on the best way....( 140 baht )

P1010255.jpg

Pad khapao khung: me looked a bit small portion, but the mate who ordered it told: The taste is great, never ate so good one and fully enough with the tom yum khung... ( 140 baht )

P1010254.jpg

Draught Tiger beer 50 baht.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I like some eye candy to look at but that is a pretty much out of the owner's control because he is relying on free lancers. At best it is hit or miss. I do much prefer lady waitresses rather than guys. My main requirement is cold beer at a reasonable price. The Pattaya Beer Garden has never disappointed me in that regard. I must admit that I have never been overly impressed with the food. I think it depends mostly on what you order. I have had excellent food and I have had NOT too excellent food. It has always been edible so no real complaints there.

The quality of the food is probably better there than at most places in Pattaya, but that said, the food is mediocre or poor in many other venues. It should be realized that you are not back home in your favorite Mom and Pop restaurant. I usually make it a point to stop in when I am in the area. I also use it as a meeting place before a bar crawl. Pattaya Beer Garden my not be the absolute best but I put it in the top ten percent.

I am posting from there now and have had excellent service and food but a guy sitting opposite me was obviously displeased with his service. Unfortunately he really did get too verbally aggressive with his server and it was obvious to me they were pretty damned frightened to go back to his table cos it certainly seemed to me that he was going to offer physical violence....

The Duty Manager turned up about 15 minutes ago after the guy had left..................

Did you do or say anything in response to observing this? I have observed this type of behavior before myself in Pattaya. I am a natural problem solver as well as a passionate labor leader. I personally don't tolerate working people anywhere being talked down to or deliberately degraded. On an occasion or two I have stepped in if I thought they were threatening someone. And this is only in a situation where there is no manager or security. I am a big guy with a strong voice and quite a bit of experience defusing situations. Most assholes have no trouble tearing apart an 80 pound tiny Thai woman but are scared to death of my 6'2, 240 pound self. So far all of these interactions have gone well and the guy usually leaves.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering if Thailand is the right place to be interfering like that, and whether restaurants appreciate you bullying customers any less than they appreciate customers bullying staff.

Yeap, definitely a shelf-life on that kind of thing here. Good luck.

I am wondering if Thailand is the right place to be interfering like that, and whether restaurants appreciate you bullying customers any less than they appreciate customers bullying staff.

Have done it from time to time over the years as I wander the world. Keep in mind I have no interest in interfering in local customs or with local affairs. I am on vacation after all. But should a visitor like myself be on the verge of or physically harming an employee of the establishment I am visiting, especially in the seat near me, why not? What kind of human being would not assist? Anywhere in the world. I do not go to smaller bars much anymore. The last small bar I went to was to wait for a friend finishing up in the bar across the street, as I sat down it was me, a server, another Westerner and two "hostesses". I think on Soi 6. Anyway when the server brought over the neighboring guys drink, he hit her across the face. Open handed slap, and loud. The girl sitting next to me looked ready to beat the crap out of him. He was a liitle guy(usually always is). So I picked him up and pitched him out the door to land face first on the street. I paid his 240 baht bin along with mine and went on my way.

Am mainly a Walking Street guy now. On my last trip I saw two Thai ladies (or ladyboys) chasing a fat Russian looking guy in a stained white tank top or 'wife beater" for the Americans. I am an avid people watcher and while watching the whole thing thought this might be a very entertaining beat down. Then fat Russian is weaving his way through the crowd shoving people out of the way as he goes trying to duck the Thai ladies. He then reaches out to shove me hard as well. I stretched my leg out and succeeded in tripping him, dropping him to the ground. Myself and a young Brit that he had shoved a few minutes earlier each kept a foot on his back. The tourist police were not far behind and cuffed him quickly. Even had a discussion with the officers, one of whom was former US LE, about the merits of the Georgia State Trooper take down. Sometimes LE training just kicks in, I guess.

What is US LE?

I think he means United States Law Enforcer.

Probably one of BigDs "imaginary" friends

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
Sometimes LE training just kicks in, I guess.

What is US LE?

I think he means United States Law Enforcer.

Probably one of BigDs "imaginary" friends

bigmick owned by BigD.

Do you dream about him too?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

bigmick owned by BigD.

Do you dream about him too?

Is that the best you have? What a cunt, no sorry - what a useless cunt.

Such a shame you cant afford to live in Thailand :llaugh

Edited by bigmick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yesterday visited the venue with friends.... The start wasn't promising, the venue full, almost no seats available.... we looked for a seaview table....the rude and arrogant waitress burped out, No free tables, if you don't believe up to you... and left us...

We sat down in an inner table.... ordered the food, the waitress here was polite and kind, we wited 25-30 minutes for the food, what if fair IMO with such a huge venue full with customers.

The food - as my mates rated it - simple excellent...

Tom yum khung: Huge portion, 10 big shrimps in the soup, the broth was just right, not the usual spicy and sour water, but something thick.... and spicy on the best way....( 140 baht )

P1010255.jpg

Pad khapao khung: me looked a bit small portion, but the mate who ordered it told: The taste is great, never ate so good one and fully enough with the tom yum khung... ( 140 baht )

P1010254.jpg

Draught Tiger beer 50 baht.

Gabor, You are noted for getting "value for money". Glad to see you giving this place a thumbs up. I think it is a Pattaya special treat and have never had bad food or service and met a few ladies there.

Jack

p.s. I took 7 Philippine friends that teach in Bangkok there. One told me "Jack, I would love to take you to a place like this when you visit the P.I. But,Jack, We don't have a place like this."

• Upvote 2

Was that a money back guarantee brekkie for 110 baht? That's uncomplainable. How much is CrazyDave's with no view or guarantee , in a back street , pretty shit soi?

Tourists are setting themselves up for disappointment if they don't expect mistakes in western food orders in budget Thai restaurants. I stayed in a place with free brekkie for 4 months and they got it wrong nearly every day. At times it was surreal. It's all part of funtown! I wouldn't even remember those breakfasts of it hadn't been for their mistakes

Slightly off topic, but i usually have brekkie and sometimes lunch at the Pig n Whistle Soi 7 but its gone down hill fast. I tried a place called Punch and Judy today and it was excellent. Big English Breakfast 160 Baht.

Have done it from time to time over the years as I wander the world. Keep in mind I have no interest in interfering in local customs or with local affairs. I am on vacation after all. But should a visitor like myself be on the verge of or physically harming an employee of the establishment I am visiting, especially in the seat near me, why not? What kind of human being would not assist? Anywhere in the world. I do not go to smaller bars much anymore. The last small bar I went to was to wait for a friend finishing up in the bar across the street, as I sat down it was me, a server, another Westerner and two "hostesses". I think on Soi 6. Anyway when the server brought over the neighboring guys drink, he hit her across the face. Open handed slap, and loud. The girl sitting next to me looked ready to beat the crap out of him. He was a liitle guy(usually always is). So I picked him up and pitched him out the door to land face first on the street. I paid his 240 baht bin along with mine and went on my way.

Am mainly a Walking Street guy now. On my last trip I saw two Thai ladies (or ladyboys) chasing a fat Russian looking guy in a stained white tank top or 'wife beater" for the Americans. I am an avid people watcher and while watching the whole thing thought this might be a very entertaining beat down. Then fat Russian is weaving his way through the crowd shoving people out of the way as he goes trying to duck the Thai ladies. He then reaches out to shove me hard as well. I stretched my leg out and succeeded in tripping him, dropping him to the ground. Myself and a young Brit that he had shoved a few minutes earlier each kept a foot on his back. The tourist police were not far behind and cuffed him quickly. Even had a discussion with the officers, one of whom was former US LE, about the merits of the Georgia State Trooper take down. Sometimes LE training just kicks in, I guess.

Would like to have seen how you'd have handled a scene I witnessed while waiting to check into a hotel last week. The perp in this case was a burka-clad muslim woman who was all over an obviously competely intimidated young thai receptionist behind the desk who was being taken to task for not having a taxi cab, which had apparently been previously requested, ready soon enough for her and her two fellow hens. This muslim woman, dressed like Dickens' ghost of Christmas-yet-to-come and with the loudest mouth this side of Baghdad, was practically screaming at this poor young thai girl, who actually looked like she was about to cry but managed to maintain some composure. (I'm not even sure she had taken the original request, whenever/however made, and even knew anything about it.) This muslim woman was yelling at her like she was a personal servant who had failed to perform to her mistress' satisfaction, and was good for nothing but the street. Very loud. VERY insulting. Very demeaning. Nothing physical, but about as intimidating as one can get withOUT being physical. Had there not been a counter between them, I'm not 100% certain there wouldn't at least have been some finger-pointing-to-the-chest type of action.

So, oh great champion of the exploited, surely this poor thai girl would be entitled to your self-proclaimed white knight services, would she not? How would you have handled it? Would you have intervened?

• Upvote 2

Another nail in the coffin for me is that they ran out of my favourite wine yesterday....I mean c'mon I drink about 3 bottles of the stuff a week, and it was NYD....Hardly unpredictable !!!!

Note to Pete...get that ghastly Alice something shit off the wine list ...it made me GAG!!

Edited by Bullfrog

I am pretty sure if Egon Ronay visited the PBG it wouldn't,t get any Michelin stars.But it serves decent food at a very reasonable price in a to be envied sea view venue.They have excellent toilets, and it is always clean and tidy. Do some of you guys wake up in the morning and think what shall I moan about today.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Slightly off topic, but i usually have brekkie and sometimes lunch at the Pig n Whistle Soi 7 but its gone down hill fast. I tried a place called Punch and Judy today and it was excellent. Big English Breakfast 160 Baht.

That place is getting good reviews for it's roast dinners too.

Would like to have seen how you'd have handled a scene I witnessed while waiting to check into a hotel last week. The perp in this case was a burka-clad muslim woman who was all over an obviously competely intimidated young thai receptionist behind the desk who was being taken to task for not having a taxi cab, which had apparently been previously requested, ready soon enough for her and her two fellow hens. This muslim woman, dressed like Dickens' ghost of Christmas-yet-to-come and with the loudest mouth this side of Baghdad, was practically screaming at this poor young thai girl, who actually looked like she was about to cry but managed to maintain some composure. (I'm not even sure she had taken the original request, whenever/however made, and even knew anything about it.) This muslim woman was yelling at her like she was a personal servant who had failed to perform to her mistress' satisfaction, and was good for nothing but the street. Very loud. VERY insulting. Very demeaning. Nothing physical, but about as intimidating as one can get withOUT being physical. Had there not been a counter between them, I'm not 100% certain there wouldn't at least have been some finger-pointing-to-the-chest type of action.

So, oh great champion of the exploited, surely this poor thai girl would be entitled to your self-proclaimed white knight services, would she not? How would you have handled it? Would you have intervened?

Well this could have been any woman really, not only a burka clad muslim one, but I do accept the possibility such a woman would talk down to a receptionist, they are arrogant and have been known to abuse servants. But the receptionist should have been trained to handle such situations, and been able to hand off the problem to a senior, preferably male, (and Jewish).
  • keyman locked this topic