Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

"Deadly crash highlights dangers to Thailand tourists"

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/23/travel/thailand-tourist-safety/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Excerpts:

The country has one of the world's worst road-safety records, according to figures from the World Health Organization (WHO).

"In Thailand, a country with 50,000 British residents and over 870,000 British visitors per year, there were 68,582 road traffic incidents resulting in 9,205 deaths involving both Thai residents and tourists in 2011," says the U.K. government post announcing the new campaign.

"In contrast 1,901 people were killed in road accidents in the UK in 2011."

According to the WHO's most recent report on global road safety statistics, in 2010 Thailand had an estimated 38 road traffic deaths per 100,000 people, making it one of the world's deadliest places to be on the road.

The report says 74% of Thailand's road traffic deaths were attributed to motorcycle accidents.

• 1 month later...

Now I know why I have never taken a motor bike on the streets of Pattaya in 10 years. Bhat bus only. Very rare on a motor bike taxi as well, very rare.

I just have seen too much death and broken people on the Pattaya roads.

Probably one of the reasons apart from the fact of the appalling driving standards in Thailand that so many killed on motorcycles is the fact that they are occupied by double and treble the amount of people they were designed for. I mean when you have an accident on a motorcycle it means at least serious injury but add to that fact 4/5 people on one having an accident well that certainly boosts the stats as well as the injuries. Also just take a look at how many Thais you see who look left when they turn out of any road they just go and that's it they are crazy! I don't mean anything disrespectfully just my observations and anger at these people how they can have so little respect for their lives.

Probably one of the reasons apart from the fact of the appalling driving standards in Thailand that so many killed on motorcycles is the fact that they are occupied by double and treble the amount of people they were designed for. I mean when you have an accident on a motorcycle it means at least serious injury but add to that fact 4/5 people on one having an accident well that certainly boosts the stats as well as the injuries. Also just take a look at how many Thais you see who look left when they turn out of any road they just go and that's it they are crazy! I don't mean anything disrespectfully just my observations and anger at these people how they can have so little respect for their lives.

If they do look left that might be part of the problem......they should look to the right.

But they rarely give way, correct, and just filter on in.... more common is a large vehicle doing so with no regard to say a motorcycle oncoming.

I ride a small bike here a lot, traffic levels dictate it, I am in frequent fear of a debilitating incident.

Edited by jacko

If they do look left that might be part of the problem......they should look to the right.

............and left, to the front, to the rear........ and bloody up and down.

............and left, to the front, to the rear........ and bloody up and down.

Yes of course.... if one is turning left, there is a possibility of someone trying to whiz up your inside.

On the bike I stick my arm out sometimes to deter them.

In the truck I feel like a buffalo being attacked by wasps.

Jacko if you value your arm I would keep the hand its attached to on the handle bars! There is only one way to survive out there on any vehicle specially a motorcycle is to NEVER DRINK and drive and to keep your eyes going in all angles at5 all times expect the unexpected and extend your vision from the road on which you are on into the side streets etc. Read the road from far middle to near! Safe travels

Yes of course.... if one is turning left, there is a possibility of someone trying to whiz up your inside.

On the bike I stick my arm out sometimes to deter them.

In the truck I feel like a buffalo being attacked by wasps.

Jacko if you value your arm I would keep the hand its attached to on the handle bars! There is only one way to survive out there on any vehicle specially a motorcycle is to NEVER DRINK and drive and to keep your eyes going in all angles at5 all times expect the unexpected and extend your vision from the road on which you are on into the side streets etc. Read the road from far middle to near! Safe travels

Well thanks for the tips but after some years one picks up a few 'rules' and habits, yours amongst them.

I use my arm/ hand to supplement my indicator, which is something not to be taken seriously in Thailand!

I do believe in doing whatever I can to inform other road users of my intentions, but you can't beat stupidity.

I was in the truck the other day and some old guy was trapped in the middle of the road with a heavy sack on his back... things were not moving much so I stopped to let him cross..... and wham, he got hit by a motorbike whizzing up my inside.

Even trying to do 'right' puts you at risk here...because you are doing the unexpected!

Thailand might want to adopt some drug and alcohol testing for commercial drivers, many and I do many times have I taken a bus, taxi or Tuk Tuk for hire when the operator was totally wasted. I had a cab driver in Bangkok driving me to Pattaya one trip and I made him stop and let me out at a gas station in the middle of nowhere because I was afraid for my life!

Thailand might want to adopt some drug and alcohol testing for commercial drivers, many and I do many times have I taken a bus, taxi or Tuk Tuk for hire when the operator was totally wasted. I had a cab driver in Bangkok driving me to Pattaya one trip and I made him stop and let me out at a gas station in the middle of nowhere because I was afraid for my life!

Good idea but as we all know, if they have an accident they will get out and run away. Only in Thailand.

Yes I understand were you are coming from and its common courtesy stopping and waving people/motorists across out or flashing lights to do the same among some people but its not good practice. I was taught it long ago and thought as you but nowadays I see the reasoning behind it in this claim conscious society of ours here! Believe me when I tell you that the number of people doing the good Samaritan as you done there who done likewise here and ended up in the wrong is mad! i.e. he waved me out I assumed it was clear to do so!

Well thanks for the tips but after some years one picks up a few 'rules' and habits, yours amongst them.

I use my arm/ hand to supplement my indicator, which is something not to be taken seriously in Thailand!

I do believe in doing whatever I can to inform other road users of my intentions, but you can't beat stupidity.

I was in the truck the other day and some old guy was trapped in the middle of the road with a heavy sack on his back... things were not moving much so I stopped to let him cross..... and wham, he got hit by a motorbike whizzing up my inside.

Even trying to do 'right' puts you at risk here...because you are doing the unexpected!

in the UK there is a new scam whereby someone flashes their lights to indicate to you that they will let you out, then deliberately hit you! It's known as flash for cash. When a car flashes their lights the ONLY thing it means is their lights work!

I was told when riding your bike, even in the UK, treat everyone as if they are trying to kill you and develop a bubble of safety around you, so that when someone suddenly pulls out on you, you had already anticipated it. Moreso in Thailand.

It's never stopped me having fun on a bike though!! :bhappy

KM