Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

American football coach takes over Hot Spurs

On the other hand...imagine an English football coach trying to demonstrate the proper way to perform a "tackle" to an NFL safety... they would be scrapping the remains up with a shovel.

The Uk does play American football in fact have been playing it before America did, we call it Rugby the difference are that we dont bother with special kickers having an offensive team and a defensive team or indeed timeouts. Not do we bother with all the armour they wear. Men play Rugby and the odd broken bone is walked off.

it is a even lesser know fact that we also play American baseball only 2 real differences firstly the ball is bowled underarm yes I know whimpy but the second reason is that it is normally played only in girls school, perhaps we should send a team to the next world cup which I understand is normally only America and Mexico anyhow. I am sure the girls will adapt to the ball being thrown overarm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As the background suggests, it appears it is a promo for NBC Sports upcoming broadcast of Premier League games. Just saw it today on NBC. VicVegas will never go back to the US now.

The Uk does play American football in fact have been playing it before America did, we call it Rugby the difference are that we dont bother with special kickers having an offensive team and a defensive team or indeed timeouts. Not do we bother with all the armour they wear. Men play Rugby and the odd broken bone is walked off.

it is a even lesser know fact that we also play American baseball only 2 real differences firstly the ball is bowled underarm yes I know whimpy but the second reason is that it is normally played only in girls school, perhaps we should send a team to the next world cup which I understand is normally only America and Mexico anyhow. I am sure the girls will adapt to the ball being thrown overarm

Is the ball thrown overarm in baseball?, I thought it was more a side throw, as over arm would drop the ball out of the strike zone almost every pitch.

I always like to take the mick about American sports just like every other Brit, and Yanks love to pull our chain when it comes to that ,but American football has very little in common with Rugby just as Rounder's has little in common with Baseball as both may have come from those roots previously stated ,but are made for a different audience and have vastly differing rules , that have changed over the years as the audience have become more interested in bigger and better sport. that as fat as Yanks are concerned ,can never end without one or other of the teams Winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is the ball thrown overarm in baseball?, I thought it was more a side throw, as over arm would drop the ball out of the strike zone almost every pitch.

I always like to take the mick about American sports just like every other Brit, and Yanks love to pull our chain when it comes to that ,but American football has very little in common with Rugby just as Rounder's has little in common with Baseball as both may have come from those roots previously stated ,but are made for a different audience and have vastly differing rules , that have changed over the years as the audience have become more interested in bigger and better sport. that as fat as Yanks are concerned ,can never end without one or other of the teams Winning.

Have seen more than a few stop-action shots of pitchers where the throwing arm is at a 90 degree angle (or very close) to the horizontal so it is possible.

NFL regular season games can end in ties, although they only have that happen every few years. College hockey games can end in ties if a 5 minute overtime does not result in a goal.

One of my favorite "football" stories was from back when I still lived in the States...

I was watching an EPL game on the last day of the season. I had TIVO so after the game ended I called my teenage son into the room and showed him the last 3 minutes of the game. The game ended in a 2-2 tie and the fans went TOTALLY BONKERS... they rushed on to the pitch and celebrated in complete madness. My son looked confused and asked "What happened... it ended in a tie... did the home team still win the Championship?"

I said "No... they came in 17th."

• Upvote 1

Actually, baseball has so much in common with what we call soccer, football to everyone else. They are both excrutiatingly boring with 15-30 second bursts of brilliance and excitement. ;)

I always like to take the mick about American sports just like every other Brit, and Yanks love to pull our chain when it comes to that ,but American football has very little in common with Rugby just as Rounder's has little in common with Baseball

• Upvote 1

Actually, baseball has so much in common with what we call soccer, football to everyone else. They are both excrutiatingly boring with 15-30 second bursts of brilliance and excitement. ;)

I always like to take the mick about American sports just like every other Brit, and Yanks love to pull our chain when it comes to that ,but American football has very little in common with Rugby just as Rounder's has little in common with Baseball

It's soccer in Canada. Australia, and even the Brazilians named their big stadium"soccer" something.

It's "football"in the UK and "fútbol" or "fussball" in parts of mainland Europe.

Anyway, "soccer" is an English word from long ago.

This has been discussed before, I believe.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's soccer in Canada. Australia, and even the Brazilians named their big stadium"soccer" something.

It's "football"in the UK and "fútbol" or "fussball" in parts of mainland Europe.

Anyway, "soccer" is an English word from long ago.

This has been discussed before, I believe.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I stand corrected then.

But there is no disputing my second sentence. :smile: