Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

The Railway Man ... Movie

Read the book, Eric Lomax good read it was....

I've just ordered the book from Kinokuniya - luckily it was in stock, so I'll have it next week sometime. I'm amazed that I'd never heard of the guy until today ... he was born less than 3 miles from me.

Edited by CheshireTom

I've just ordered the book from Kinokuniya - luckily it was in stock, so I'll have it next week sometime. I'm amazed that I'd never heard of the guy until today ... he was born less than 3 miles from me.

Very good read, must be 6 or 7 years old now,,, I think he died a couple of years ago....

Kidman is probably my favourite actress. I thought she was shooting Grace of Monaco, but I've not heard anything about it lately.

Agreed. She's taken some challenging roles and is a fine actress. I thought she was great in "The Interpreter"...an enigmatic character played convincingly.

I've not read the book, but it sounds good...Amazon has the Kindle version for about $12 USD.

I've known two prisoners of the japanese who worked on that railway. One man 'put it away'……..The other was broken..

The first, Denis 'P' became a fairly close….. (golf, dinner and family occasion) friend. He died in his 80s having become one of the oldest recipients of an O-level, (in Italian) and still 'riding out' each morning. He NEVER mentioned any of his war experiences and I never asked him about them. He had enough interesting stories about other matters to keep me enthralled.

I think he just put that part of his life into a box somewhere inside and tried to forget. He lived a great life. Marrying one of the daughters of his pre-war fiancé (she hadn't waited), som nam na her!

The other prisoner was a teacher at my secondary school 'Mr X' He had crazy, grey Einstein hair and a nervous twitch and we all thought he was nutty. Being boys and spotting weakness we took the piss whenever we could.

I remember him showing us slides about the night sky. He was perched on a desk at the front and looking straight out at us. He pointed to a star behind him with a ruler, saying, "This is the constellation of Cassiopeia"

Giggles ….He turned and re-points his ruler and repeats himself. Full on laughter erupts. He looks behind him, re-points and bangs the screen and says "THIS IS CASSIOPEIA"

This went on for a while with my mate 'Forbsey', who'd been delegated control of the slide-projector, gently shifting it's angle each time and bouncing Cassiopeia all over the night sky until this, 'product of Japanese fucking inhumanity' …...and now a victim of our vicious humour, was facing the screen and following Cassiopeia with his ruler pointing and calling ,"Here….Here……No here!"

Not long afterwards our Deputy Head came to see us he told us quietly about what 'Mr X' had been through. From that day on everyone of us little shits behaved respectfully towards him…...

…….We all had been taught a lesson.

Not least, I can see, is that I can still remember how to spell cassiopeia.

Wherever you are up in the 'night-sky'… Mr X………"Sorry."

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the Google factory is situated within a radius of three miles from where you come from as well.

I think the Google factory is situated within a radius of three miles from where you come from as well.

Don't blame me or Google for your shortcomings. :thumbup

Anyway, thanks to the power of Google, I've sussed that the Major Cineplex folk have it scheduled in Thailand during March. Do they have cinemas where you live? :clueless

Edited by CheshireTom

Im really looking forward to seeing this movie. I think if anyone has been up to the Bridge on the River Kwai - they will appreciate this even more.

Don't blame me or Google for your shortcomings. :thumbup

Anyway, thanks to the power of Google, I've sussed that the Major Cineplex folk have it scheduled in Thailand during March. Do they have cinemas where you live? :clueless

He is living in Pattaya at the moment so I believe so!

How do you know that?

Because I saw him and talked to him the other day!!!!!

Because I saw him and talked to him the other day!!!!!

Maybe Gonzo can confirm your conversation. Until then, I'll just take it that you're abusing your Mod 'powers' again by disclosing confidential info @ a BM's location.

Maybe Gonzo can confirm your conversation. Until then, I'll just take it that you're abusing your Mod 'powers' again by disclosing confidential info @ a BM's location.

What a nasty suspicious mind you have.

Or more likely an infantile appetite for antagonising people.

You seem to be calling me a liar.

I have no influence over whatever Gonzo chooses to do.

How do you define abusing a Mod's 'powers', do you have access to some rule book?

Edited by jacko

Jacko, Mr "I have no credibility" is trying to get a rise out of you because he is jealous that you live here and he still has not forgotten when you made him look the most stupid fool on the planet with your 1st class ticket. On the 1st four lines below, you are correct on all four - especially the 1st three. He is threadfucking - yet again.

What a nasty suspicious mind you have.

Or more likely an infantile appetite for antagonising people.

You seem to be calling me a liar.

I have no influence over whatever Gonzo chooses to do.

How do you define abusing a Mod's 'powers', do you have access to some rule book?

Edited by bigmick

He is threadfucking - yet again.

No, it's The Hun who is threadfucking.    :shame:  

Correct. It started with his post.

Papillomavirus is just being a troll today.

Just download the book from Amazon onto my Kindle £2.99 (great value), looking forward to reading it, then seeing the film, always prefer that order if possible.

Cheers for the heads up Tom, never heard about the book or film until this thread.

Regards