Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Residence Garden vs. Flipper

First of all sorry for another thread with that issue, but as i have never been to pattaya it´s pretty though for me to make the perfect decision where to stay, allthough there are many usefull information on this board it is´nt that easy, specially if u don´t know the area and the distances   ??? ???

from my point of view i would rather stay in the RG, it looks very clean and nice to me, BUT my biggest concern is, isn´t it too far away from the action????

from all the information i get out of this board here is that the flipper seems to be much closer to the action, but it doesn´t look that nice to me???

also there are my concerns about security...here on the board i found several posts concerning this issue..., there are no id checks in RG but there are checks at the flipper....

i would appreciate if someone of you much more experienced guys could answer me my questions!!!!!

- staying in the RG- how long does it take me to the action, either by taxi or is it also in walking distance

- if it´s not that far is it save to walk there with your GF during the night

- if not what´s the regular price for a taxi to go there without being ripped off

- staying at the RG would you recommand to rent a motor scooter while staying there

- is still safe if the girls ID isn´t checked at the RG

- is the flipper a good alternative to the RG or are there better alternatives concerning safty, guestfriendly, location

maybe some of my questions sound pretty stupied to a few of you, but as i said it will be my first trip and for me it would be a great help to make the right decision where to stay.

thank you allready in advance for takeing that time to answer my questions!!!!

The Edge,

I have never stayed at The Flipper so will avoid commenting on it.

I have stayed at many hotels over the last 18 years and the RG must rate as one of the best straight value-for-money hotels in town.  Ask the girls in the FLB for their opinion!  ;D

It is two minutes into the centre of South Pattaya by taxi or 5-10 minutes if walking.  Taxis pass by the front door 24 hours a day so never a problem on that score.

Cost of taxi is 10 Baht per person to/from South Pattaya.  If you hire one for exclusive use look at 40-60 Baht from South Pattaya.

The area of the RG is perfectly safe as are most areas of Pattaya.

The RG does not check IDs as a matter of course.  You can request that they do check and hold IDs and they will do so.

Unless your motor scooter has four wheels I wouldn't hire one anywhere in Pattaya.  There are an abundance of taxis that will take you wherever you want to go.

I would advise booking the RG for your first trip and have a look around at what else is available for your second trip.  There will be a second trip!  ;)  Unless maybe you decide to hire a motor bike!!

Regards,

Tom

Edge,

I've only made one trip myself (but going back in Dec.) so I can't help you on your questions about the Flipper. But I stayed at the RG and can help a little on that score.

The RG is very nice, clean, big, and comfortable. Your right that they don't ask for ID's but that's not to say that  you couldn't stop by the desk on the way in and have your lady drop it off with the desk.

My biggest problem with the RG was the distance from the action but then again that was one of the things that I liked about it too. You can go to the bars and have your fun but when it's time to settle in for the night it's kinda of nice to get away from the action and have some place that's quiet.

You will also run into some other FLB's while at RG which allows you to strike up some nice friendships and "learn from the vet's".

As far as getting around, I'd think twice before renting a motorbike. Hell I'd think twice before getting on the back of one that is offering a taxi service. On your first trip stick to the baht buses. They run right outside the door of the RG about every 3 minutes, cost 10 baht, and can have you in the hot spots in just a couple of minutes. I think it's a little bit to far to walk but for 10 baht (25 cents US) why bother...

Enjoy,

Shilo

thank you guys for that quick reply!!!!

...so it seems to me it will be the RG for my first trip...

...in your opinon should i make special requests when booking, concerning the location, which floor, which side, of my room??? cause i´ve seen on the pictures that there are also rooms close to the poolside, and if it´s possible i´ll try to avoid that!!!!

...also i´m travelling with a friend of mine, we want to have two seperated rooms but do you know it there is the possibilty to have rooms with connected doors?!?

...we plan to go there by the mid of october, will the rate, 1300 bath, be the same if i book it over the net and should i mention that i´m a member of this side here?????

thanks again for all that information

the edge

The Edge,

To get the FLB rate you must mention it at the time of booking ...... it is easier to book direct from this site to avoid any misunderstanding.

Include any requests with your booking - I am sure Ib will do his best to accommodate them.

As in most hotels the higher the better to reduce noise levels.  I was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Regards,

Tom

@ tom

thanks again :-)

there is only one more question left!!!!

we will arrive in bkk and will stay there for two nights prior pattaya..., maybe you can tell me also what´s the best way to go to pattaya..., should we take a taxi or bus or whatever...., i also found several information about this topic but i´m not sure wht´s really the best way

could you please give me accurate information concerning prices and circumstances!!!

best wishes

the edge...by the way also named tom in "real life" :-)

The Edge,

Again, for your fist trip I would tend to play safe and get a cab BKK-PTY.  You will have pleny of opportunities at playing the local on your subsequent trips.

PattayaPete posted the name and address of a taxi firm on Sukhumvit Soi 4 which he recommended and I think that he would be a more reliable source of information in this respect.  Drop mim a message; I am sure he will point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Tom

The Edge ,

You must either be Irish or a U2 fan or both . As to the RG you can get a suite which has 2 separate bedrooms but sharing the living room / kitchenette . Just ask for a 2 bedroom suite when booking . It will work out cheaper than booking 2 separate rooms . You can get a passing taxi from the hotel into town for 10 baht but to get back out again you have to hire one which costs 60 baht because it is off their route .

One of the things I liked most , apart from the friendly , helpful staff , was the in room safes . You could get money out any time you liked and when you came back each night you could chuck your wallet & camera into it & not worry about the girl dissappearing with them . I kept a supply of emergency money in it which came in useful a few mornings when I discovered I hadn't enough in my wallet to pay the TG !

Derek

If your feeling tight you can get in to a bahtbus at the corner of south pattaya rd & 2nd rd and wait for it to fill up, just make sure its going toward Jotmien, the driver will hassle you to give him 50/60 baht so YOU hire the bus.....depends if you horny too mutt LOL

H

"PattayaPete posted the name and address of a taxi firm on Sukhumvit Soi 4 which he recommended and I think that he would be a more reliable source of information in this respect.  Drop mim a message; I am sure he will point you in the right direction."

Hey Pete;

I am interested in this information too, and will be grateful if you post the details here.

TIA  ;)

SF dude

There is no need for a taxi from residence to Walking street get a Baht bus.

I think people get confused about taxis and baht buses,

Baht buses is the way most holiday makers travel,

They are open pickup trucks with a roof and benches down both sides.

They run regular routes (not set times) and there are hundreds in Pattya.

They are very cheap!

A Baht bus

bus.jpg

From residence gardens

If you stand on the opposite side of the road to the residence gardens one will be along very soon, I think about three minutes would be my longest wait (no need to do anything as you will find that you will be pissed off at the end of holidays with Baht bus drivers peeping their hrns at you for your custom).

When he stops just jump in the back with the other people he will take off peeping his horn at any walking falang.

When you get to where you want dropped off just press one of the buttons provided, jump out hand the driver 5 baht (10 if long trip) which is about 15 pence UK.

From residence to Marina sign (drop of for walking street) takes 2 or 3 minutes.

Don't worry about time of day as run 24 hours a day.

At night often they will ask if you want to hire for trip home from walking street usually 40-50 baht ok if you have TG with you.

but its "up to you" wait for a traveling bus and jump on if you only want to pay 5 baht.

It takes abit of getting used to but Ok after a couple of rides.

hope this helps

duece  8)

hey i´m really amazed by all the replies from you guys, first when i started to plan our trip i was more or less lost in all that information but i guess i found the right place here, and thanks to you guys i think it will be a great trip and i think i will not be the only falang there in october who can count on you vets ;D

@TURBO

concerning that suite with two seperate bedrooms....will it still be no problem to bring in the girls if we are staying in the same suite and do you maybe know how much the price will be for FLB members????

There should be no problem bringing 2 girls back . I did it and I was on my own in a single suite ! Go to the RG website and e-mail Ib , the hotel owner , and tell him you want to book a double suite via the FLB website and ask him the price . He is usually fairly quick replying .

Derek

On the question of the RG location i am wondering are there  shops nearby which will  keep me supplied with water, toiletries  and other day to day items  that i might need.

Joey,

There is a small minimart directly opposite the hotel that caters specifically for such things as well as an excellent and fair-priced laundry.

Regards,

Tom

Joey, The RG has bottled water in the frig for free as well as the mart across the road.  

Joey and the edge, The people are great at RG and the ladies at the desk are exceptional.  I asked one of them directions to a specific store and she said I would need to take a taxi and then wrote the store name and directions in Thai for me to give to the taxi driver.  They all go way above and beyond to help you and the rooms are a great value for the FLB price.  I have stayed here on my last 4 visits and would not think of staying anywhere else.  The location is not a problem but if you want to be in the middle of the action 24/7 then the flipper is probably better.  I have not stayed there but did stay at Eastiny Place on Soi 8 which is very nice and reasonably priced (800 baht/night).  But please keep in mind that when you compare prices you must remember you are getting a suite at the RG compared to just a room at the other places.  

dad

dad

i stayed at  flipper  house  twice which is  just  round  the corner  from flipper  lodge.flipper  house  is  a  much  more newer building  than  lodge witha  new  wing  just  built in  2000.

lodge  is  ok  but  its  right  in  the  centre  of  soi 8.a lot  of  noise and  a bit  too  near  the bar  i  used  to  have  a  gf in so  i  had  to  treat  getting  back  to  the  hotel

like  a nam  reccy mission.

i tried  to  book  at  both  last  month  but  both  were  fully  booked.

as  for  taxi from  bkk.go to  the  booth  outside  and book  taxi for  round 1200  baht

steve  england

Pattayaman,

I'm booked in the new wing at the Flipper hotel on Soi 7, 3rd week of this month. From what I was told. very nice with A rooftop pool, and jacuzi. Can you give me a report on the last time you stayed there?

Cheers,

Barry

I haven't stayed at RG so I can't help on that.

3 weeks ago I stayed at the Flipper Lodge so I'll give you the low down. [i have also stayed at Eastiny Inn].

The first and best thing I will say about Flipper Lodge is that I will be staying there next time. For me, I prefered it to Eastiny, partly because Flipper was less noisy and mainly, it was the little things which impressed: Things like the air-conditioning really worked well(not just the two settings of artic and off), the cable TV feed was better, the Roof pool/bar stayed open later etc.

The other things I liked.

• The staff very really helpful and friendly.
  • The hotel actually answers its emails! It really does ;). Run that question by the Eastiny.
  • The prices were really good: My out-of-season price = 700 for city view, 770 for sea-view: My room was on the 4th floor - ideal.
  • The room was very neat and tidy.
  • They supplied towels for use at the pool or beach.
  • The restraunt served both thai and European, and at good prices. The TG's liked the Thai food selection.
  • The in-house massage service  ;) [see trip report]
  • You can order a meal when using the roof bar - I had my dinner there with my TG, watching the sun go down and the Pattaya lights start up - also enjoyed watching my TG freak out when a lizzard ran across the table ... I still have no idea where the contents of her drink ended up, other than it started skyward   ::) ......
  • The internet cafe in reception, prices 1baht per minute. (2B on Beach Internet Cafes)
  • The very good security safe system.
  • Good in-house security, period.
  • The Indain tailor in the hotel - speaks excellent English and will sell you stamps today, anything you want tomorrow).
  • My room was really quiet (except on evening when the Thai karioke started up in Soi 9 ... it shut down by the time I came back to sleep).
  • Its very near the action, and very convenient for Beach Road/2nd Road, the Malls, Baht bus to Walking Street. etc
  • Reception can organise all-in side trips at reasonable prices.

If this is your first time to Pattaya, I think its a good all round place to start - the plus side for a newbie is that its located on the edge of Soi 8 [Eastiny is dead centre and very noisy], so its not so scary ... and it can be a little scary heading into Pattaya knowing that there are 10,000 young ladies there all wanting your body (okay, make that wallet too).

BTW You should not be surprised at the response to your question ... most of us have been the beneficaries of past advice and had really good holidays because of it. It is the very least we can do to feed more up-to-date information back to those heading in to taown: We're just jealous 'cos we aren't there now.

So enjoy.

Rhoel

@rhoel

allthough it will be the RG for my first trip I want to thank you for that in detail report on flipper...

and to all the other guys thank you so much for giving that much input ;) ;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the guys I hooked up with at the FLB Bar stayed at the RG. Only thing he didn't like was the distance into town. Getting in wasn't the problem. Getting back was. I stayed at the Flipper Lodge and I will stay there again. Nice hotel and the in room massage was ;D ;D. One thing I learned from the my last stay. Don't hook up with bg working at a beer bar on the same street as the hotel. BG has "fighter pilot" vision and short temper when you go past with your new honey. No matter where you stay Pattaya is the best adult playground on the planet.

Don't hook up with bg working at a beer bar on the same street as the hotel. BG has "fighter pilot" vision and short temper when you go past with your new honey. No matter where you stay Pattaya is the best adult playground on the planet.

They also have bigger memories then our company server, and an unerring  knack of turning your better clothes into dishrags ::)

I lernred that lesson the first time out.

Don't hook up with bg working at a beer bar on the same street as the hotel. BG has "fighter pilot" vision and short temper when you go past with your new honey. No matter where you stay Pattaya is the best adult playground on the planet.

They also have bigger memories then our company server, and an unerring  knack of turning your better clothes into dishrags ::)

I lernred that lesson the first time out.

LMAO! How True!

I've posted this before...but it never really seemed that far away... even if I was on foot.  

Hmmm... If I was crawling it might be a different story  ;D

ResidenceGardenToFlb.jpg  

I took this photo when I was there in April.

-Doug