Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Tops... what is to become of it?

I arrived in town a little early yesterday for a dentist appointment and decided to cool down somewhere else rather than the discomforting waiting room. So I went on into TOPS, the building on the corner of 2nd and Klang..

Now this is a place that years gone by, and I was staying on the main drag, (Between Beach Rd, Tai, Second and Klang), was my get out of the heat and do a bit of shopping place. A carton of juice and some bakery items for the room. Go back far enough and there were not many other places to shop proper, Friendship on Tai.... but the big one was too far away, there was a small Friendship located opposite Fra Pattaya on Tai, another up Thrappaya near Marina which supported my Residence Gardens stays, Best supermarket never seemed to be on my radar. But TOPS was good, A large place with a good stock, well run, good service, and providing you had no perishables there was the food court to grab a bite, or pop just outside to The Cool House. I often recall there was one place up against the wall that had waiter service and you didn't have to endure the queue 3 times silliness of vouchers where they served up some real good duck dishes, freshly cooked in front of you. That place may still even be there. A few tables close to the alcohol stocks always used to have a gang of Europeans having an afternoon drinking session in the cool, easy to pop around the corner to get the next round in.

But in modern times, I am not sure what the old Tops wants to be, it is a sad empty space. The shops up the escalator are still there, I wonder how they survive, and I believe the bowling alley is too... I thought the old supermarket was just being refurbished, but it appears not. They are in the new Mall aren't they. I had also heard this building, and a few around it had been purchased and another big Mall was planned. But we have enough Malls don't we.

This was TOPS ground floor yesterday.....what is it to become?

Tops3.jpg

Looks like a place for eating.

Tops2.jpg

The old restuarant to the left.....where the white guys eat?

Tops1.jpg

Enclosed area.

That last pic suggests a Chinese feeding station, anyone who gets around town will know quite a few of these places have appeared in odd locations, where 3-4 huge coaches block the roads meal times as the tourists chomp it down! (For example one near the new Route 99 Bar, other side of Sukhumvit, behind Numchai and the Tesco shop.

The changing face of our dear old Pattaya.......

Edited by jacko

We have all you can eat Asian places here. They may look a little nicer but it looks to be the same business model.

Is there a good supermarket close by besides that?

Isn't there one on Central Pattaya? Tops was/is on South Pattaya I believe.

I was just making a list today of things to not bring and just pickup in a market, including wine.

Edited by midlifecrisis

We have all you can eat Asian places here. They may look a little nicer but it looks to be the same business model.

Is there a good supermarket close by besides that?

Isn't there one on Central Pattaya? Tops was/is on South Pattaya I believe.

I was just making a list today of things to not bring and just pickup in a market, including wine.

This old Tops is more central than South, being on Klang. They have a place in the newish and nearby Central Festival Beach Rd Mall. As to other supermarkets, bigger and better at Big-CX, on Klang just after 3rs Rd, BIg C again, just North down 2nd Rs and Tesco on Nua.

I am not thinking this will be an all you can-eat Asian restaurant ala USA style, more aimed at Chinese tourists who travel in tour groups.

Plenty of selection here now for wines and prices aren't so bad. Certainly wouldn't bring any over, only allowed 1 bottle anyhow for duty free.

Edited by jacko

This old Tops is more central than South, being on Klang. They have a place in the newish and nearby Central Festival Beach Rd Mall. As to other supermarkets, bigger and better at Big-CX, on Klang just after 3rs Rd, BIg C again, just North down 2nd Rs and Tesco on Nua.

I am not thinking this will be an all you can-eat Asian restaurant ala USA style, more aimed at Chinese tourists who travel in tour groups.

Plenty of selection here now for wines and prices aren't so bad. Certainly wouldn't bring any over, only allowed 1 bottle anyhow for duty free.

Thanks keeping a notepad for the trip. Six years is a long time.

The bowling alley was a decently priced place that5reminded me of the old bowling alleys I'd go to. Nowadays it's that new fancy place down on 2nd road I think with the karaoke rooms and a higher end establishment. I did a majority of my shopping for beer and snacks as it was convenient to my soi 7 room. Shame to see it being so empty.

The bowling alley was a decently priced place that5reminded me of the old bowling alleys I'd go to. Nowadays it's that new fancy place down on 2nd road I think with the karaoke rooms and a higher end establishment. I did a majority of my shopping for beer and snacks as it was convenient to my soi 7 room. Shame to see it being so empty.

I think you describe the one in The Avenue. I came out of the cinema there to be assaulted by noise from the karaoke once.

If you think back to your own towns, you don't see run down small to medium sized shopping malls in prime business or tourist districts simply because the demographic and primarily the land prices don't warrant it. It is far more profitable to use the land for something else.

I concur with Jacko that it was a great place to escape the sun, grab something to take home and do a little shopping in days when Tops and Friendship were the only places in the middle of town. I even had some good times upstairs bowling.

You wouldn't think a new mall was needed but if there is a waiting list for units at the current ones then my guessing is that that could force the developer's hand.

Coincidentally I visited the new Harbor Mall the same day...... didn't really spend much time there and was wondering why that had been built. Too far out from the Beach to really attract the tourists, blocked off from people on the other side of Sukhumvit by the tunnel construction, yet the motorcycle parking seemed full. That was my main complaint really, parking the bike you had to go a long way. BigC-X is the best, park on the access road close to the exit from the food court. Plenty of parking at the new HomePro on Sukhumvit , the guard always wants me to park the bike in the allocated spot a good walk in the sun from the shop! I come in from soi Yume, and drive into the underground 'car park' all the way in and park close to the entrance, I am the only vehicle in there. Sometimes a security guy tries to get me to move to the allocated parking area, that just makes me put my disc lock on.

Edited by jacko

Well we know what happened to the old Malibu bar......It was my favourite place in Patts...It's now a 7/11. We need more of those right?

• Upvote 2

Coincidentally I visited the new Harbor Mall the same day...... didn't really spend much time there and was wondering why that had been built. Too far out from the Beach to really attract the tourists, blocked off from people on the other side of Sukhumvit by the tunnel construction, yet the motorcycle parking seemed full. That was my main complaint really, parking the bike you had to go a long way. BigC-X is the best, park on the access road close to the exit from the food court. Plenty of parking at the new HomePro on Sukhumvit , the guard always wants me to park the bike in the allocated spot a good walk in the sun from the shop! I come in from soi Yume, and drive into the underground 'car park' all the way in and park close to the entrance, I am the only vehicle in there. Sometimes a security guy tries to get me to move to the allocated parking area, that just makes me put my disc lock on.

I was wondering if in fact Harbour Mall and the Big C sort of feed off each other and in time whether the gap between will get filled with a better shopping experience. They are close enough and on the same side of the road to make it happen. I was reading that the owners of Harbour have spent 2 billion baht getting to this stage so presumably there is a plan for the longer term and the backing to make it happen.

I don't like Harbour Mall and there's no reason for me to go there a second time.

Maybe it will survive because of the kids' theme park place on the top floor - dump the kids and do the shopping, and the kids will nag to go there again.

I don't like Harbour Mall and there's no reason for me to go there a second time.

Maybe it will survive because of the kids' theme park place on the top floor - dump the kids and do the shopping, and the kids will nag to go there again.

I also read that Harbour Mall may end up as the only Tucom in town. That could be a game changer for the area.

Speaking of shopping malls, did that curvy building on Beach Road just north of Soi 6 ever open its doors? Plenty of money poured into that one.

And the huge building site where New York club used to be just off Walking Street....that was rumoured to be a giant mall financed by an Egyptian.

Not forgetting the enormous build where Big C was/is which will resurrect as a gigantic Terminal 21.

None of these necessary but maybe if a new breed of tourist finally arrives then they will prove popular?

Speaking of shopping malls, did that curvy building on Beach Road just north of Soi 6 ever open its doors? Plenty of money poured into that one.

And the huge building site where New York club used to be just off Walking Street....that was rumoured to be a giant mall financed by an Egyptian.

Not forgetting the enormous build where Big C was/is which will resurrect as a gigantic Terminal 21.

None of these necessary but maybe if a new breed of tourist finally arrives then they will prove popular?

Construction on the place north of Soi 6 has finished but there wasn't much sign of activity when I passed it last week. I think Idefix might have included a picture from there in his latest update in 'Agogos news'.

These photos taken 21st June.

There was nothing happening then and nothing happening now...maybe mothballed till someone pays the piper.

20160621_133453 (Small).jpg

20160621_133521 (Small).jpg

• Upvote 1

As for the Tops building, I often take a 60-second walk through this on my way out in the evening or on my way back from my walk down the beach just to grab a welcome bit of air con.

It was during it's time as a supermarket useful to grab a few bits and bobs to stock up the fridge.

However just recently the old restaurant has had a few coach parties of Indians and the smell of curry is sometimes overwhelming.

This new establishment looks like it can handle at least a couple of hundred... I am waiting to see if they put a 'Lazy Susan' on the table. Definition... It's a rotating glass table then be sure it's for the Chinese.

I think you describe the one in The Avenue. I came out of the cinema there to be assaulted by noise from the karaoke once.

Yeah that's the one! It's nice and all, but I still prefer to drink as cheaply as possible.

Oh and just to show how out-of-touch I am with all this shopping that has arrived in Pattaya: on Tuesday I decided I was going to do a couple of Malls looking at phones. I was wary as I knew it was Asatha Bucha day so town would be filled with tourists, many of who were Bangkok drivers who seem to come to town with 'kill a falang on a motorbike' on their 'to do' list, but I had little else to do!

Days like this there is not much parking......

Central Festival Beach Rd does not open until 11am, they don't even let you into the parking area.... you can get into the car park ... but not the parking spaces for bikes! So I exited and went to Tops, parking behind there was always easy and quite convenient. They have taped it all off, during a time when parking is sorely needed, they tape a major piece of it off. Only in Thailand. Managed to shuffle up a couple of bikes at the side of the Cool House and walked back towards the mall, had to wait outside with 20-30 others for 11am, when they opened.

It is packed with shoppy types, so you never know, this new direction for Pattaya may well work out!

The most pleasant thing, was leaving, and getting over to the dark side of Sukhumvit where I felt safer on the bike, away from the red-light jumpers and sods who think they own the roads. Today the 5 day holiday is over, it looks cloudy and may rain, good.

Edited by jacko
  • 2 months later...

Passed through the ground floor of the old Tops yesterday and it now looks deserted.

Both the Indian restaurant which was operational only a few days ago and the proposed Chinese restaurant which was all set up with tables and chairs have both shut up shop.

Only a few small stalls left inside which get very little walking traffic.

Maybe part of the clear up of the zero dollar tour operators.

20161005_121303 (Small).jpg

20161005_121309 (Small).jpg

20161005_121314 (Small).jpg

The "curvy" building near Soi 6 now has a Starbucks opened at the front. Not bad either, and gets a fair bit of business, although it's a bit trendy for me they still serve a great cup of Earl Grey. nothing else in there as far as I could see though.

• 2 months later...

I have fond memories of visiting TOPS for just the very reason the poster has commented. It was well located and in the end that has to be a factor in its demise for sure.

The land becomes so valuable that either another mall, unlikely but possible or yet another high rise condo block but with the current poor returns on such developments maybe not.

I have fond memories of visiting TOPS for just the very reason the poster has commented. It was well located and in the end that has to be a factor in its demise for sure.

The land becomes so valuable that either another mall, unlikely but possible or yet another high rise condo block but with the current poor returns on such developments maybe not.

When it first opened it was perfect for taking food and drink to the beach.......but times change I'm afraid...

It all changes just as the disappearance of the cobra snake shows. Same same but different. 555