Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 251 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Open Source "Office" programme.

A couple of years ago I asked the question about "Office" programmes that would intergrate with MS Office but came free. I was advised that possibly the best of them was Kingsoft and it has been fine. Recently however there is a wait while it loads and advert and then another 5 second wait until you can skip the ad. Its a pain. I realise that there are a mountain of programmes out there like Libre and Apache but I wonder if anyone has a programme running that they can recommend.

Isn't there a set of programs you can get for free called "Open Office"? I've used that on occasion with no problem.

Exactly but what I am asking is what Open Office is best. Kingsoft is Open Office but as I have pointed out it is becoming a pain.

Exactly but what I am asking is what Open Office is best. Kingsoft is Open Office but as I have pointed out it is becoming a pain.

Take a look here: The best free office software 2017. The article has some recommendations. I can't speak from personal experience as I've always used the original Office.

Evil

:devil

Isn't there a set of programs you can get for free called "Open Office"?

I've used that on occasion with no problem.

Hi. I don't know which one is the "best", but I used Open office during years and was very happy with it. Also it's certainly the one who has the biggest community of developers working and checking it.

BTW, but it depends a lot of the usage you make of these Office tools, I moved on the GoogleDocs, GopogleSpreadSheets,... tools associated to GoogleDrive (the Google cloud) and it's perfect for the reduced usage I have. There is no big set of programs to install on your computer and you can access/edit your files from anywhere. A very good set of tools IMHO.

• Upvote 1

I use Libre Office - but Google's offering works well too. I think MS is offering something similar if you make an Outlook mail ID.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by Odense

Take a look here: The best free office software 2017. The article has some recommendations. I can't speak from personal experience as I've always used the original Office.

Evil

:devil

Actually not quite right. Kingsoft is WPS Office. Open Office is Apache Open Office and Libre Office is the offshoot of Open Office with more development.

• Upvote 1

No, OpenOffice from OpenOffice.org (formerly Sun Microsystems, then Oracle) is OpenOffice. It's an actual name.

Can't beat the price, for sure, being it's zilch. Hasn't been updated in a while but most people should find it adequate.

Apparently LibreOffice has sort of usurped it with at least some open source activity so that's worth a free shot.

If you have a Mac, iWork is free post 2013 but I think it's quite awkward to use despite Apple's saying of course it's easy.

OpenOffice was "donated" to the Apache Foundation by Oracle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice

In January 2015 the project reported a lack of active developers and code contributions.[9] After ongoing problems with unfixed security vulnerabilities through 2015 and 2016,[10][11] in September 2016 the project started discussions on possibly retiring AOO.[12][13][14] The current version, 4.1.3, is known to include undisclosed security issues.[15]

Despite the problems with development, the software continues to attract a large number of downloads, approximately 100,000 per day,[16] a similar number to that of LibreOffice.[17]

As it has been pointed out, LibreOffice has become the most popular of the open source office suites,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Many Linux distributions include LibreOffice as their "default" office suite.

Edited by Samsonite

I use Kingsoft and it is really good. I downloaded it a couple of years ago and have no problems with it. I am unclear what your issues are unless you are just using it online. I can't justify the marketing gimmick that MS uses now. A total ripoff.

I will look into Open Office though. I was unaware of it.

MS lost me a couple of versions ago when they revamped the UI. Just couldn't be arsed to learn the new UI so kept with the old version through various OS and hardware upgrades. Their new licensing scheme just reinforces my decision to stick with the old and true.

Having MS on my laptop is more for convenience now to handle the occasional Word and Excel files I receive. Otherwise I use Google Docs exclusively. If you're into coding, you can also do some pretty interesting things with Docs/Sheets using Google Apps Script.

Edited by forcebwithu

I am pleased that I raised the question. Besides learning something about open source a member came to my rescue and showed me one of the priveledges of being on this board. I wont name the member or the solution but I am grateful.

I am pleased that I raised the question. Besides learning something about open source a member came to my rescue and showed me one of the priveledges of being on this board. I wont name the member or the solution but I am grateful.

You are a terrible tease teelack - you know we cannot avoid speculating over what the solution might be

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Odense! What can I tell you. When someone bends the law to make my life easier I can hardly identify the solution or the supplier of the solution. I think that you are smart enough to figure it out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...