Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Um, yes of course. I am sure that is true. It is not like the press would print negative lies, spins and rumors about Trump.

Estimates vary between 30 - 50% of the US economy is international. Which of course means that a weaker dollar is good for up to 50% of America. Of course the other 50% benefits from the strengthening of the first 50% too.

Who would you prefer Trump watch out for, the country or a handful of expats and occasional travelers?

Don't forget, 50% of "the economy" does not equate to 50% of the people. A small percentage of the people own a very large percentage of the country's wealth. So to that extent, maybe those people benefit. The whole "weak dollar" thing is a slippery slope, in any event, and at some point, a weak dollar is bad. For example, if you brought the dollar down to the worthless level, that would be weak, but not good. And don't forget to ask yourself why the dollar becomes weak. Money printing = inflation = a week dollar, sooner or later. Maybe some benefit from inflation, but I'd rather not see it. Already, the government has resorted to lying about the real inflation rate so as to cheat retirees whose pensions and social security are tied to the CPI. Of course, the USA isn't the only country engaged in the race to the bottom. Europe has been printing money like crazy. Ditto for China and Japan. Debt = money these days. I guess that's where they get the money for all those Chinese cities that sit empty. Anyway, it's all interesting. And you can be sure that Trump cares only about his wealthy backers. He's been a real disappointment.

Edited by js007

A weak dollar may be good for the country but obviously it sucks for us expats.

USA Expats Gary, the majority aren't.

Australia seems to follow whatever Trump does, and we are in deep shit with the current government. A weak dollar is great for exports, but as for exporting me, it is horrible.... WE ARE going up (against the US Dollar), but only because that is going down.

Don't forget, 50% of "the economy" does not equate to 50% of the people. A small percentage of the people own a very large percentage of the country's wealth. So to that extent, maybe those people benefit. The whole "weak dollar" think is a slippery slope, in any event, and at some point, a weak dollar is bad. For example, if you brought the dollar down to the worthless level, that would be weak, but not good. And don't forget to ask yourself why the dollar becomes weak. Money printing = inflation = a week dollar, sooner or later. Maybe some benefit from inflation, but I'd rather not see it. Already, the government has resorted to lying about the real inflation rate so as to cheat retirees whose pensions and social security are tied to the CPI. Of course, the USA isn't the only country engaged in the race to the bottom. Europe has been printing money like crazy. Ditto for China and Japan. Debt = money these days. I guess that's where they get the money for all those Chinese cities that sit empty. Anyway, it's all interesting. And you can be sure that Trump cares only about his wealthy backers. He's been a real disappointment.

I understand your point regarding "not equate to 50%" of the people. I have never worked for a poor man. Do not know too many who have? We want the wealthy to do well. They have the knowledge and discipline required to create wealth. The wealth needed to invest and hire people. Your example of the dollar dropping to nothing is irrelevant. It simply drops a tad lower than other currencies making us more competitive. If our dollar was to seriously tank the other currencies would fall much faster.

I do not accept that Trump only cares about who his "wealthy backers". And I am not aware of many wealthy Trump backers. There just are not many. Most of the wealthy are part of the "establishment" who fear Trump.

Simple fact: The wealthy will not reelect Trump. It will be "Middle America" and the blue collar who reelects Trump.

I know the left wing press screams about how uncouth and vulgar Trump is. Over and over and over. Goebbels used to say if you tell a lie enough many begin to believe it. But there are a lot of people out there who are for the most part very pleased with Trump's actions if not his style.

And the amount of people pleased will grow rapidly as they understand that Obama took money from those who work and produce and gave it to those who do not.

Trump is giving some of the money back to those who work and produce.

Edited by BigusDicus

"If our dollar was to seriously tank the other currencies would fall much faster."

I wouldn't be so sure about that. For the most part, they all float against each other. By definition, if the dollar is dropping, it is doing so relative to some other currencies. They can't ALL drop at once.

I guess the whole strong dollar/weak dollar thing is complicated. Sometimes a weak dollar may be good, but sometimes it may be bad. Personally, I'd like to see them stop playing games with the money and the money supply. It really is hard to plan anything because you just never know what they'll do next. Right now the dollar is around 32 baht. That's fine, but what about next year or the year after that? I'm sure many expats have retired overseas based on a certain set of reasonable expectations, only to have their plans ruined by political games affecting the economy.

That's fine, but what about next year or the year after that? I'm sure many expats have retired overseas based on a certain set of reasonable expectations, only to have their plans ruined by political games affecting the economy.

Try having £ Sterling post Brexit!