Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Jomtien vs Pattaya

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For a retiree, is Jomtien a better option for budgets?

Do you get more value with regards to accomodation and general everyday expenses?.

If I ever were to retire in Pattaya, Jomtien (or slightly out of town from jomtien but in that direction) would be my first choice, avoiding the localised pollution, traffic and noise. Transport into town (Pattaya) wouldn't be too difficult, there's always Grab or Uber, failing that I'd drive myself (unless going on the piss, I'd just hire a cheap room for the night).

I'd prefer the Jomtien area, better coastline, beach, easier to walk around, cleaner at the cost of fewer bars and restaurants.

Who knows, mnaybe we will see an increase in businesses opening up as Pattaya prices itself out of the market.

Edited by Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pattaya itself doesn't have to be expensive, although you're right, Jomtien is less crowded, less polluted, and has less traffic.  Like Pattaya, you can find accommodation in all price ranges.  

Edited by js007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jomtien is quieter than Pattaya for sure but the sea and main beach are not that much cleaner. You need to go further south before you will see any real benefits. Jomtien Beach also  seems to be very popular with Thai visitors on weekends and holidays so traffic can also be heavy.

Living costs probably aren't that much cheaper than Pattaya either. With so much surplus accommodation in the area there are deals available everywhere if you look hard enough.

The bars are more like local bars than party bars, great for a few quiet beers but not particularly exciting. Beer prices are pretty similar to the Buakhau area, happy hour beers around 55-65 baht, regular priced beers generally around 70-80 baht give or take a few baht here and there. Lady drinks tend to be in the 100-120 baht range but there may be some exceptions I am not aware of. 

More so even than Pattaya I think the bars struggle for customers and are dying a slow death, so I wonder how many will still be around in years to come.

On a more positive note there are a few Gentlemens Clubs in the area if you are looking for a diversion in the afternoon.

There is a good selection of restaurants but the market is not as competitive as Pattaya so prices might be marginally higher.

Have you thought about Pratumnak? Much more residential than Jomtien, prices are fairly similar, some nice beaches at the bottom of the Sois and enough bars and restaurants to satisfy day to day needs for a retiree. The main downside is getting into and out of town as it's not on the baht bus route. Plenty of motorbikes and taxis around but costs build up if you use them on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tallguy said:

Jomtien is quieter than Pattaya for sure but the sea and main beach are not that much cleaner. You need to go further south before you will see any real benefits. Jomtien Beach also  seems to be very popular with Thai visitors on weekends and holidays so traffic can also be heavy.

Living costs probably aren't that much cheaper than Pattaya either. With so much surplus accommodation in the area there are deals available everywhere if you look hard enough.

The bars are more like local bars than party bars, great for a few quiet beers but not particularly exciting. Beer prices are pretty similar to the Buakhau area, happy hour beers around 55-65 baht, regular priced beers generally around 70-80 baht give or take a few baht here and there. Lady drinks tend to be in the 100-120 baht range but there may be some exceptions I am not aware of. 

More so even than Pattaya I think the bars struggle for customers and are dying a slow death, so I wonder how many will still be around in years to come.

On a more positive note there are a few Gentlemens Clubs in the area if you are looking for a diversion in the afternoon.

There is a good selection of restaurants but the market is not as competitive as Pattaya so prices might be marginally higher.

Have you thought about Pratumnak? Much more residential than Jomtien, prices are fairly similar, some nice beaches at the bottom of the Sois and enough bars and restaurants to satisfy day to day needs for a retiree. The main downside is getting into and out of town as it's not on the baht bus route. Plenty of motorbikes and taxis around but costs build up if you use them on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

This is a really good assessment - the only thing I would add is that Jomtien is much nicer for walking around as the sidewalks are generally much quieter and wide in the newer parts, with the exception of the first few blocks of Beach Rd....you generally don't have the hordes of Chinese and Indians cluttering up the walkways. I like the Pratamnak area too but have never stayed there for the same reason, the lack of baht buses.....I should add that it  can be difficult sometimes  getting on the main route baht buses to Pattaya at night time during December/January - they  fill up quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

This is a really good assessment - the only thing I would add is that Jomtien is much nicer for walking around as the sidewalks are generally much quieter and wide in the newer parts, with the exception of the first few blocks of Beach Rd....you generally don't have the hordes of Chinese and Indians cluttering up the walkways. I like the Pratamnak area too but have never stayed there for the same reason, the lack of baht buses.....I should add that it  can be difficult sometimes  getting on the main route baht buses to Pattaya at night time during December/January - they  fill up quickly.

Agree about Jomtien being better for walking along the beach. The beachside path is very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone have any current and specific suggestions as to good massage parlours around Jomtien Beach; those that may provide a more fulfilling experience that is. I am going to be down the very far end of Beach Road and domestically limited on my activities for a few days, so a quick 'bolt hole' might be handy.

Edited by Bob Belzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soi 6 on Jomtien Beach Road is your best bet. Yellow House would be my go to place but haven't been for a while. Same as Pattaya loads of happy ending places around, some better than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tallguy said:

some better than others.

That's the problem. Thanks for the ideas. It's a 6km moto taxi ride to my best option, Kinnaree.

 

EDIT: Presumably this one?

yellow.JPG

Edited by Bob Belzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From second rd walk up past the bars on Rompo right to the end turn left there is a line of 5-6 massage places, 1k used to get the full works,take your own towel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, yselmike said:

From second rd walk up past the bars on Rompo right to the end turn left there is a line of 5-6 massage places, 1k used to get the full works,take your own towel.

Dare I ask? Why do you have to take your own towel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jacko said:

Dare I ask? Why do you have to take your own towel? 

After the oil massage and any extras you may feel the need for a shower and a clean towel is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jacko said:

Dare I ask? Why do you have to take your own towel? 

 

1 hour ago, yselmike said:

After the oil massage and any extras you may feel the need for a shower and a clean towel is a bonus.

..And you get to take the towel away to sniff it later or show it to your friends..??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

 

..And you get to take the towel away to sniff it later or show it to your friends..??

Probably better just to leave it behind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Butch said:

Probably better just to leave it behind...

Or you could swap it with somebody else's and take theirs away to sniff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yselmike said:

After the oil massage and any extras you may feel the need for a shower and a clean towel is a bonus.

Yes, but usually MPs have clean towels of their own, having to carry a wet used one home seems inconvenient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacko said:

Yes, but usually MPs have clean towels of their own, having to carry a wet used one home seems inconvenient!

..... and possibly suspicious! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacko said:

Yes, but usually MPs have clean towels of their own, having to carry a wet used one home seems inconvenient!

The MPs top end of Rhompo  are geared up for a more "fulfilling" experience, sadly hygiene and fluffy freshly laundered towels are not guaranteed,simply put they are knocking shops much like the ones on soi 6 on beach road Jomtien but they are the cheapest I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, yselmike said:

The MPs top end of Rhompo  are geared up for a more "fulfilling" experience, sadly hygiene and fluffy freshly laundered towels are not guaranteed,simply put they are knocking shops much like the ones on soi 6 on beach road Jomtien but they are the cheapest I know. 

Even in the dirtiest knocking shop of the lot "The Star" in Patpong I never carried my own towel............Unless you meant "trowel" ..... to scrape up the dried spunk off their faces, the bar, the glasses, the floor or your mates best shirt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Even in the dirtiest knocking shop of the lot "The Star" in Patpong I never carried my own towel............Unless you meant "trowel" ..... to scrape up the dried spunk off their faces, the bar, the glasses, the floor or your mates best shirt...

I go in the afternoon so carrying soap and towel is not a big deal and I stay in Jomtien plus they fit nicely in my man bag.You do all have a man bag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Jomtien experience over the years is mixed.

I like the beach and enjoy morning walks 10X more than Pattaya.

The trade off of Chinese and Indians is offset by Russians who if there is a line bulldoze to the front like they own the damn concession or bathroom.

The food and service is overall better although I think I got food poison at the Hilton Seafood Buffet last trip.....stick to the street carts.

Nightlife sucks compared to what awaits on a 15 minute Bhat Bus ride to Walking Street or Soi 6.....in high season that short baht bus ride can take 45 minutes.

Over the past several years I find myself moving and staying more in Pattaya close to Soi 6 and Beach Road.

Beware that the further down the road you go the harder it is to get a baht bus back as most turnaround and head back toward Pattaya as soon as they drop off the last rider. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yselmike said:

The MPs top end of Rhompo  are geared up for a more "fulfilling" experience, sadly hygiene and fluffy freshly laundered towels are not guaranteed,simply put they are knocking shops much like the ones on soi 6 on beach road Jomtien but they are the cheapest I know. 

Certainly never taken my own towel to any of the places on soi 6 BR Jomtiem, I haven't found them too bad. I may have passed comment that the towels do lack fluffyness, seen more material on a paper towel. I bet some of them are ancient. I usually visit after immigration but now, as I do my 90 day online, it is a rare occasion. Thanks for giving me an alternative idea..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, yselmike said:

I go in the afternoon so carrying soap and towel is not a big deal and I stay in Jomtien plus they fit nicely in my man bag.You do all have a man bag?

Wouldn't be seen dead with one... old school. Just something to lose track of or have lifted. 

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yselmike said:

I go in the afternoon so carrying soap and towel is not a big deal and I stay in Jomtien plus they fit nicely in my man bag.You do all have a man bag?

I have a wallet full of cash. No need or desire to carry anything more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jacko said:

Certainly never taken my own towel to any of the places on soi 6 BR Jomtiem, I haven't found them too bad. I may have passed comment that the towels do lack fluffyness, seen more material on a paper towel. I bet some of them are ancient. I usually visit after immigration but now, as I do my 90 day online, it is a rare occasion. Thanks for giving me an alternative idea..... 

Just walk through Rompo left hand side past the tree right to the end, turn left and the MPs are right there,a happy ending used to be factored in to the 300 price of the massage plus a small tip,a couple of years ago it was all in for 500 probably 1k now,a bit like soi 6 Jomtien but less LBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...