Jump to content
Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
awesum4

Air travel almost stopping, and how long for

Recommended Posts

Air New Zealand has grounded 80% of its planes for an indefinite period. It will lay off 30% of its staff immediately and ask the rest to use up their holidays or take unpaid leave.

As tourists are no longer allowed into the country (3.4 million came last year) and returning citizens having to self isolate for 14 days their international fleet will be mostly  restricted to cargo planes.

All gatherings of more than 500 people are cancelled, so no touring rock stars, no conferences. Therefore a drop in domestic flights as well.

 I think most airlines will be doing the same over the next couple of weeks,  and have no idea when they will start flying again but expect it to be months rather than weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read today (can't give a source, my apologies) that at current rates, 80% of Airlines will be bankrupt by the end of April. I expect that National or state sponsored Carriers will be ok, but Thai are in financial trouble anyway, so this will decimate them further.

Also I was listening to BBC Radio 2 just now, they were talking about Spain and spoke of a guy who was fired from his job the minute the Govt restrictions came out. He has no way of paying his rent, buying food or travelling. I really felt bad for the guy , but as you correctly say, he is not alone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Butch said:

I read today (can't give a source, my apologies) that at current rates, 80% of Airlines will be bankrupt by the end of April. I expect that National or state sponsored Carriers will be ok, but Thai are in financial trouble anyway, so this will decimate them further.

Also I was listening to BBC Radio 2 just now, they were talking about Spain and spoke of a guy who was fired from his job the minute the Govt restrictions came out. He has no way of paying his rent, buying food or travelling. I really felt bad for the guy , but as you correctly say, he is not alone.

 

 

It was an article that I sent to friend of mine last night....it was from Daily Mail but origin was from Australia

Vast majority will go tits up by start of May....the capital overheads of aircraft repayments will bankrupt virtually every airline and at least 40% are already trading insolvently...

Am on mobile as problem with laptop charger....if I get the laptop back up and running later will link it in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I looked this morning there were 11,500 planes in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lantern said:

When I looked this morning there were 11,500 planes in the air.

How many would have been in the air at the same time a month ago?

A lot of people are still getting home,  can you please look again in exactly one weeks time?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, Rawhide2 said:

State owned airlines will likely survive I know Oman is...

Good old Oman Aviation. Come a long way since 1976 when I flew on them.

The state ones will be fine as you say, but I would possibly avoid buying shares in or future tickets on some of the Independant ones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting to log onto flightradar and see the comings and goings over my home... I see the odd plane as it throttles down for a descent into U-Tapao. It sort of reminds you it isn't yet a 100% lock-down.On my phone I look,  in comes Qatar from Doha, there is the Emirates from Dubai, wow an A380 heading to India from Singapore. Hmm, a flight coming in from China, what is that doing there? Many fewer than in the past of course..... 

I worry for people who are not 'home', can they get there? I remember being stranded many years ago due to 9-11, I was quite worried, thank heavens for a Texas sports bar and beer, and Delta who took my BA ticket. I now have a similar underlying dread I had then. But this time I will remain put and hope Thailand remains a good host. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I feel in good health, the DOB on my driver's license says I am at risk.  20 hours on airplanes to eat frozen dinners at home doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, nkped said:

While I feel in good health, the DOB on my driver's license says I am at risk.  20 hours on airplanes to eat frozen dinners at home doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort.

I would agree with you that isnt worth the effort if you normally live in Thailand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me. I was missing crabbing and fishing on the Chesapeake. Thought  get a small boat and one more summer. I have a house in Annapolis so easily done. But 20+ hours on a plane and the possibility of being stuck in Maryland over the winter. No chance. Maybe next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jacko said:

It is interesting to log onto flightradar and see the comings and goings over my home... I see the odd plane as it throttles down for a descent into U-Tapao. It sort of reminds you it isn't yet a 100% lock-down.On my phone I look,  in comes Qatar from Doha, there is the Emirates from Dubai, wow an A380 heading to India from Singapore. Hmm, a flight coming in from China, what is that doing there? Many fewer than in the past of course..... 

I worry for people who are not 'home', can they get there? I remember being stranded many years ago due to 9-11, I was quite worried, thank heavens for a Texas sports bar and beer, and Delta who took my BA ticket. I now have a similar underlying dread I had then. But this time I will remain put and hope Thailand remains a good host. 

As regards getting home to UK am sat watching Sky and legislation is supposedly going through parliament today to close the airports....obviously with a cut off point I presume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

As regards getting home to UK am sat watching Sky and legislation is supposedly going through parliament today to close the airports....obviously with a cut off point I presume

Serious stuff.... will there be evac flights allowed to land?

I watch Sky early a.m. here, midnight to 1am there in UK, but stop there as I get stressed by it all!

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Butch said:

Good old Oman Aviation. Come a long way since 1976 when I flew on them.

The state ones will be fine as you say, but I would possibly avoid buying shares in or future tickets on some of the Independant ones...

"Did you used to be Oman?" ...Sorry....sorry....I'm a bit of a fan of the IT Crowd....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacko said:

Serious stuff.... will there be evac flights allowed to land?

I watch Sky early a.m. here, midnight to 1am there in UK, but stop there as I get stressed by it all!

Well whatever the emergency legislation today its going to be announced at 5pm GMT today...at 6am today lead story was the probably shutting of airports....now the lead story yesterday at 6am was the probably shutting of schools

Sky knows what's coming....there has to be a cut off point though clearly otherwise you'd have flights in the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that Cargo will still be allowed, so there will be a lot of flights showing at night.

I've been at work today and missed the news, was there any announcement re Airports or is it coming on Friday (21st)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Butch said:

I understand that Cargo will still be allowed, so there will be a lot of flights showing at night.

I've been at work today and missed the news, was there any announcement re Airports or is it coming on Friday (21st)?

Boris said nothing 're airports....there is a 320 page emergency legislation of yesterday which seems to be shrouded in secrecy....suspect we'll be drip fed bit by bit

Edited by Rawhide2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard Thai Airways also suspending ALL flights to/from UK. Is this true as cannot find anything on the Thai Airways website yet.

Heard this via Thai TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richardm said:

5E9C48DC-AD19-4590-9E43-638E5A31F679.thumb.jpeg.99c17c3b488f143722f6c88572aefbb3.jpeg

I think that that is the advice found here - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand?fbclid=IwAR1IMUzsv3UwLG3BTNFqP51Wwy3B17GeTcocQsueZDkOUiNMSJn2_8sJPI0

You will see that it relates to RESIDENTS in Thailand.

Edit: It also applies to British nationals in Thailand temporarily.

 

Edited by Bazle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richardm said:

I have heard Thai Airways also suspending ALL flights to/from UK. Is this true as cannot find anything on the Thai Airways website yet.

Heard this via Thai TV.

They won't have anybody flying from the UK because of restrictions on entering Thailand,plus the UK government is advising people not to travel and that will invalidate any insurance,sort of catch 22 where insurance is concerned 

I'm scheduled to fly out Wednesday and will be at the airport T least 3 hours before the flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EVA notice saying Taiwan has suspended international transit March 24-April 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Brown1950 said:

Emirates have announced TOTAL CLOSURE OF THEIR WORLDWIDE NETWORK with effect from 25th March.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/travel-updates/

FLIGHT UPDATES

Emirates will temporarily suspend most passenger operations by 25 March.

Having received requests from governments and customers to support the repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate flights to the following countries until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand: the UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, USA, and Canada. We aim to provide affected customers with updated information as early as possible. To receive the latest notifications on your flight, customers should ensure their contact details are updated by visiting manage my booking. Customers can also check the website for their flight status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked FR24 again and 7330 planes in the sky ATM. So dropping by around 1000 per day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...