Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thailand’s Visa Amnesty For Visitors Is Running Out On Saturday, Immigration Advising Foreigners To Prepare For Departure

Unbelievable. With its tourist industry at rock bottom because of the ban on foreigners entering the country, the Thai government decides to send foreigners who have remained here on (amnestied) tourist visas packing.

I fail to see the logic: these people are COVID-free and present no risk, they are usually here out of choice, they spend money thus helping the troubled economy. Why tell them to leave unless there's an agenda which all of us expats will one day fall foul of.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They can remain if they can obtain an extension. Apparently most Embassies are issuing letters now which can get them another 30 days too. Queues are long at many immigration offices. More than I expected have hung out for a last minute reprieve/amnesty which was not forthcoming and to me at least seemed would be extremely unlikely.

I too suspect some motive behind this, perhaps too many of the people left behind are not self sufficient tourists. There may be a group or element in there they want out. The baby goes out with the bathwater. You have to wonder what comes next.

Edited by jacko

Jacko, glad i took your advice and did the 90 day before the deadline. But i do wonder what may come next. I moved to Thailand to live in Thailand not Cambodia or Vietnam.  I use an agent for the extension from a recommendation on a BM here. I readily meet the requirements but easier to let them deal with it. They do free 90 day reports. My friend, an agent in Bangkok charges 1000 THB.  But  change can come fast . I remember when there was a kiosk for visa runs at every Soi on Second road. Gone overnight. 

20 hours ago, Bushcraft said:

Unbelievable. With its tourist industry at rock bottom because of the ban on foreigners entering the country, the Thai government decides to send foreigners who have remained here on (amnestied) tourist visas packing.

I fail to see the logic: these people are COVID-free and present no risk, they are usually here out of choice, they spend money thus helping the troubled economy. Why tell them to leave unless there's an agenda which all of us expats will one day fall foul of.    

I've been a long termer for around 15 years using the  retiree's Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (up to 90 days in Thailand at a time). I'd then go back to the UK for two or three months. Then last year before CV they stopped issuing these visas. My one has recently expired.

Each year I'd spend 500,000 - 750,000 baht in their country in Pattaya. It would go on a my usual hotel, transport, and the usual expenses in bars and cafes and general shopping. That's finished for the foreseeable.

A pal of mine used to come for 2 months at a time on 30 day tourist visas. He got told to get a proper visa. which was a bit of a jolt seeing as he was a long term regular like myself. He'd understandably expected a bit of appreciation for his loyalty. But he did as they told him through an agent for about 20,000 baht which gave him a retirement visa which he never got to use. But he can't come back now either. He'd spend about the same each year as me.

My pal and I are typical visitors to Pattaya when it comes to the average falang's spending habits.

It's obvious to anyone that they do not want long term visitors in Thailand any more so why are they offering these new 90 - 270 day visas all of a sudden. They can't be that daft that they think billionaires and members of the international jet set are clamouring to take our places nor they will be willing to charter planes and jump through all these hoops the TAT are setting in front of them.

They say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so why are they dispensing with one group of established visitors who they KNOW splash the cash in the HOPE that another lot will turn up and take our place. There has to be an agenda and long term visitors and expats are not included in it. We'd better accept the fact that it might be a good idea to pack our bags and forget about Thailand being a retreat from the shit holes our countries have been turned into.

They have a nationalist govt and offering a welcome to foreigners for indefinite periods of time is not a policy nationalism embraces. Few of us understand the mind set of nationalism as it's taboo in our countries.

I remember visiting Franco's Spain, we from the democracies were allowed entry but that was it, we were hardly made welcome especially by the authorities. It's changed now but we're only tolerated because they need the money, it's a major part of their economy. But Spain never really attracted the super wealthy.

In the same vein international jet setters are unlikely to come to the LOS in any numbers irrespective of CV19. We're about as good as it's ever gonna get for the Thai people in general especially the poorer folk of Isaan.

Even with a nationalist government it does not make sense getting rid of a large proportion of the very foreigners who spend a considerable amount of money in a country. If they did not need us they would not have to be giving out free meals to their hungry citizens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I've been a long termer for around 15 years using the  retiree's Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (up to 90 days in Thailand at a time). I'd then go back to the UK for two or three months. Then last year before CV they stopped issuing these visas. My one has recently expired.

Each year I'd spend 500,000 - 750,000 baht in their country in Pattaya. It would go on a my usual hotel, transport, and the usual expenses in bars and cafes and general shopping. That's finished for the foreseeable.

A pal of mine used to come for 2 months at a time on 30 day tourist visas. He got told to get a proper visa. which was a bit of a jolt seeing as he was a long term regular like myself. He'd understandably expected a bit of appreciation for his loyalty. But he did as they told him through an agent for about 20,000 baht which gave him a retirement visa which he never got to use. But he can't come back now either. He'd spend about the same each year as me.

My pal and I are typical visitors to Pattaya when it comes to the average falang's spending habits.

It's obvious to anyone that they do not want long term visitors in Thailand any more so why are they offering these new 90 - 270 day visas all of a sudden. They can't be that daft that they think billionaires and members of the international jet set are clamouring to take our places nor they will be willing to charter planes and jump through all these hoops the TAT are setting in front of them.

They say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so why are they dispensing with one group of established visitors who they KNOW splash the cash in the HOPE that another lot will turn up and take our place. There has to be an agenda and long term visitors and expats are not included in it. We'd better accept the fact that it might be a good idea to pack our bags and forget about Thailand being a retreat from the shit holes our countries have been turned into.

They have a nationalist govt and offering a welcome to foreigners for indefinite periods of time is not a policy nationalism embraces. Few of us understand the mind set of nationalism as it's taboo in our countries.

I remember visiting Franco's Spain, we from the democracies were allowed entry but that was it, we were hardly made welcome especially by the authorities. It's changed now but we're only tolerated because they need the money, it's a major part of their economy. But Spain never really attracted the super wealthy.

In the same vein international jet setters are unlikely to come to the LOS in any numbers irrespective of CV19. We're about as good as it's ever gonna get for the Thai people in general especially the poorer folk of Isaan.

Even with a nationalist government it does not make sense getting rid of a large proportion of the very foreigners who spend a considerable amount of money in a country. If they did not need us they would not have to be giving out free meals to their hungry citizens.

1 possible answer, they (Thai gov't) have more money than we know and can wait. Or just be wrong.

I was involved in a discussion last night where I felt someone was fear mongering, saying the police in town will be asking to see passports and telling people to carry them. I am not sure immigration police have the resources or other police, like traffic police, will get involved, they are busy getting fines for minor driving infringements.

Checking passports in the street has never been a Pattaya thing before, but a 2000 baht fine for not carrying it is often mentioned.

Please let us not get into the 'I carry a laminated copy' blah blah that often comes from this topic. Make your own mind up if you want to carry your passport in these unique times.... personally I will not unless I get hassled, then I will comply, I take my pants off too often when in town!!!!

There are rumours on Thai Visa of a further amnesty or Extension to Oct 31st, it ties in with extending the State of Emergency until then, so just maybe panic over and good luck getting folks to act prior to that date, they will not  be taking the warnings seriously any more!

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/thailand-visa-amnesty-gets-last-minute-extension-to-oct-31-sources/

Edited by jacko

If it is October 31, just glad I did my last 90 day report on July 15, so I will avoid the next round of panicked hordes.

3 hours ago, jacko said:

Please let us not get into the 'I carry a laminated copy' blah blah that often comes from this topic. Make your own mind up if you want to carry your passport in these unique times.... personally I will not unless I get hassled, then I will comply, I take my pants off too often when in town!!!!

Yup ..we have had this discussion before and I always say that I spent 3 weeks in Bangkok IDC ...A place that you should avoid ... All I can say beyond what has been said before is make sure that somebody knows where your passport is and has a legal right to enter your accommodation to get it ....

.....but you would have already been in IDC  a week or more...if they find you...  (depending on  what day you were lifted and public holidays in Thailand/Home country and what the visiting day for your embassy/catholic priest is) ... eating one chicken wing, one vegetable, one boiled egg, a handfull of rice every fucking meal every fucking day!

Jacko I have to thank you...my daughter left a few months ago to find work in Bangkok.I need to make sure the lady I lay with knows where my passport is.......Bizarrely it was her that got me out of the shit more than 20 years ago ..( and charges of attempted murder suddenly disappeared - ....... Brian please note!)

When they start fining people for not carrying their passport around that will be the day that I and without doubt many others will call it a day with the Land of Scams.

The plod are no longer getting money from the bars so they've had to find other sources for their beer money. My expat pal tells me on the phone they're pulling in falang motorists and motor cyclists for any minor or supposed infringement and issuing on the spot fines.

He's also heard of their colleagues doing the same thing in BKK. And with smokers who throw their fag ends on the ground or light up in places where PC Plod considers that they shouldn't do so.

They pulled these stunts long before Covid arrived on the scene so it can't be fear mongering to mention that they're still doing it now that hard times have arrived.

Perhaps the BiB are not concerned about driving away ex pats and long termers. The plod must know that the jet setters really are on their way.

47 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The plod are no longer getting money from the bars so they've had to find other sources for their beer money. My expat pal tells me on the phone they're pulling in falang motorists and motor cyclists for any minor or supposed infringement and issuing on the spot fines

In Pattaya? Not had any issues but perhaps I am not giving them reason.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

In Pattaya? Not had any issues but perhaps I am not giving them reason.

I was not talking about you nor your experiences. In the past I've hired M/Cs and neither was I ever pulled in. But as I said I was referring to my ex pat pal's current observations, he's a keep fit merchant and goes out for a two hour mid morning walk every day so he sees what's going on.

I myself as well as many others have seen the plod pulling in as many vehicles as they could between Tut Com and the Friendship Supermarket and in other locations all over Pattaya and I don't go out in the daytime very much. These motorists were not giving them any reason either as far as I could see and this was long before the current hard times were upon us all.

The Pattaya police are notorious for many forms of extortion. They're even reputed to be involved in the jet ski scams. I would not even think of telling you what happened to a friend's belongings in his condo when he passed away in Pattaya, that was really unbelievable.

Edited by yogi100
3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I was not talking about you nor your experiences.

I was talking of my own personal experience here in Thailand, recent. 

A pal of mine was pulled over last week and issued a ticket, no 'on the spot' fine.

I was in town just a few hours ago and did not see any particular police presence. As you said, your experience was a long time ago and I believe what I read last night was fear mongering. I  still would not trust any of them of course. But I have had few issues in recent times, getting pulled over is quite frequent, road blocks are common. It is how they do things rather than have a reason.

Since there may well be another amnesty (still only a rumour) I do not expect police to be checking passports in Pattaya. 

8 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

Yup ..we have had this discussion before and I always say that I spent 3 weeks in Bangkok IDC ...A place that you should avoid ... All I can say beyond what has been said before is make sure that somebody knows where your passport is and has a legal right to enter your accommodation to get it ....

.....but you would have already been in IDC  a week or more...if they find you...  (depending on  what day you were lifted and public holidays in Thailand/Home country and what the visiting day for your embassy/catholic priest is) ... eating one chicken wing, one vegetable, one boiled egg, a handfull of rice every fucking meal every fucking day!

Jacko I have to thank you...my daughter left a few months ago to find work in Bangkok.I need to make sure the lady I lay with knows where my passport is.......Bizarrely it was her that got me out of the shit more than 20 years ago ..( and charges of attempted murder suddenly disappeared - ....... Brian please note!)

How to put it, would a reasonable officer of the law thought you needed to be off the street and the lack of a passport provided convenient cover?  Yes, I'm sure you didn't see it that way.

44 minutes ago, nkped said:

How to put it, would a reasonable officer of the law thought you needed to be off the street and the lack of a passport provided convenient cover?  Yes, I'm sure you didn't see it that way.

You are sure about something that happened to me 22 years ago and my attitude towards being incarcerated in IDC rather than a holding cell .... wow! Have we met? 

I am very open about my past and am extremely self critical but I'm confused as to how you are sure about a situation you didn't witness and about a person you have never met.

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

You are sure about something that happened to me 22 years ago and my attitude towards being incarcerated in IDC rather than a holding cell .... wow! Have we met? 

I am very open about my past and am extremely self critical but I'm confused as to how you are sure about a situation you didn't witness and about a person you have never met.

Not the least bit certain, but some times cops go for what will definitely work even if the real motivation is a bit equivocal.

Edited by nkped
Just now, nkped said:

Not the least bit certain, but some times cops go for what will definitely work even if the real motivation is a bit equivocal.

OK. I am sure a Mod will clean this up. but you said you were sure that I didn't see it your way... how certain is that?

Since moving back to Pattaya I have been quite shocked how total strangers think they have the right to ask you personal questions and have the right to comment on the answers. I haven't been a good person in the past. In fact I have been a naughty boy!

I am pretty goddam sure that FBWU knows who I am. Kudos to him for not saying anything...

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, jacko said:

I was talking of my own personal experience here in Thailand, recent. 

A pal of mine was pulled over last week and issued a ticket, no 'on the spot' fine.

I was in town just a few hours ago and did not see any particular police presence. As you said, your experience was a long time ago and I believe what I read last night was fear mongering. I  still would not trust any of them of course. But I have had few issues in recent times, getting pulled over is quite frequent, road blocks are common. It is how they do things rather than have a reason.

Since there may well be another amnesty (still only a rumour) I do not expect police to be checking passports in Pattaya. 

Some people might naively expect a bit of loyalty and appreciation from the Thai tourism authorities if they've been spending money in their country for years but the Thais don't seem to know the meaning of the words.

All they know is that when they've pissed you off enough to make you no longer want to visit Thailand there will be ten Chinese coming to take your place. 

"We've had your money for twenty years Mr Falang, the airport is that way now sling your hook and don't come back."

The latest, although a cabinet meeting today will finalize things.

Thailand extends grace period for stranded foreigners

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1993035/thailand-extends-grace-period-for-stranded-foreigners

Edited by jacko

You couldn't make this up and keep a straight face. What's the definition of confusion? Father's Day in Brixton, London and announcements by the Thai government. You couldn't run the proverbial whelk-stall with this managerial approach.