Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

transiting hong kong in 2 weeks. with all that is happening in china

now some what concerned. anyone been recently?

What is happening in China?

Can't say as I have heard any issues wrt HK

civil unrest over money or the collapse there of. military's occupation on china's stock exchange for the workers protection.

printing 1T notes. yes trillion. bits and pieces  on social media that go down shortly after posting. few postings on u-tube show empty airport

and titer security for transit and check-in passengers. these seem to go away shortly after posting too. my Hong Kong airlines flight out is now listed as air china

with no pre check-in for seats or bags. just looking for first hand info before i am first hand info.

• Confused 1

As far as I can tell airports appear to be almost like an embassy in that they have a life of their own. The perimeter and security is very tight and while a country can be in turmoil, the airports just keep on going.

I stand corrected but I have seen zero travel advisories or warnings concerning any airports in Asia. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never seen political unrest in a country move into either the Arrival or Departure halls.

My advice. Get on the plane and put it out of your mind.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, teelack said:

As far as I can tell airports appear to be almost like an embassy in that they have a life of their own. The perimeter and security is very tight and while a country can be in turmoil, the airports just keep on going.

I stand corrected but I have seen zero travel advisories or warnings concerning any airports in Asia. Maybe I have been lucky but I have never seen political unrest in a country move into either the Arrival or Departure halls.

My advice. Get on the plane and put it out of your mind.

Remember the yellow shirts shutting down Suvarnabhumi airport in 2008.

Yes I do but my wording was precise. As far as I am aware the rioters never got into the security areas. I was aware that someone would bring this up but rioting on the street is not the same as transfer issues which is what the OP asked about.

I checked the HKG arrivals and departures boards yesterday and saw nothing unusual.

1 hour ago, teelack said:

Yes I do but my wording was precise. As far as I am aware the rioters never got into the security areas. I was aware that someone would bring this up but rioting on the street is not the same as transfer issues which is what the OP asked about.

I've just read the Wikipedia record of the airport occupations, (Don Muang was closed as well).

Two things struck me immediately.

Firstly, the protesters actually managed to invade the control tower, an area I would regard as secure.

Secondly, thousands of passengers were stranded inside the airport, many of them would have been simply in transit.

The Wikipedia article is worth a read, (although all the usual caveats re Wiki should be borne in mind). A lot of the information, though, is consistent with what I remember from news reports at the time.

I was in Thailand at the time and remember hearing stories of tourists who were unable to leave the country but unable to enjoy their extended stay because of a lack of funds.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, tallguy said:

I was in Thailand at the time and remember hearing stories of tourists who were unable to leave the country but unable to enjoy their extended stay because of a lack of funds.

Yes, that is my recollection too. Brits who couldn't get home with a couple of quid in their pockets, plonked themselves down expecting someone to help them out. 

On 3/4/2024 at 9:34 PM, tallguy said:

I landed on an Emirates flight the day the protest had kicked off..... Had no problems getting down to Pattaya and the it wasn't until going to Cherry Bar and Adam asking me when I got there did I find out about the airport had been closed by the protestors!!!  I believe the Emirates flight was one of the last ones to land. Was on a 4 week long trip and the protest was over before I flew home, but met a few who were stuck in Thailand and having difficulty getting a flight home.

Edited by TheFiend
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Trip finished. Follow up. UAL landed at international side only USA flight for now. while taxing told all transit passenger had to get new boarding passes and checked bags had to be collected and rechecked. had no check bags so only passes for me and daughter. do to health had golf cart and purser all the way. 1 hour 10 mins later at gate 3 Cathy pacific. only airside for passes. passenger seat next to us had checked bags for same flight to bkk. saw them board after we had already boarded closed door behind them.

return trip Hong Kong/Air China airlines. issued passes all the way thru to SFO on UAL. No mention of rechecking bags or new passes. Same as before. Very empty airport both ways as well as few aircraft up yo jetways. 30 minutes gate to gate return trip. also mention that door closed was 2:15 minutes after landing first flight. i would allow 3 hr minimum if coming from USA with checked bags. 2hr for return. Confirm that united club was closed both ways for now. 

• Thanks 1