Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The water madness has begun on Soi 7. I wonder if the bars on Soi 7 will see an uptick in business to justify what in my experience is the earliest start ever to the water madness.

As they say, forewarned is forearmed. If you want to avoid getting drenched, Soi 7 is definitely the soi to avoid. Pictures of the war zone during a cease fire this morning.
P4100015.jpg

P4100016.jpg

P4100020.jpg

P4100023.jpg

• Sad 1

I posted last year one of the best ways to see is get off the BB at 6/1 at the beach make your way past the LB's and get a seat in the middle of the Corner Bar. The boys are poised for war but you and your iphone can stay dry unless you cant resist and venture out on Soi 6.   I was surprised the difference here upcountry. I saw a guy on a motorcycle approach my family and thought , you poor bastard.  But no he slowed and allowed a small splash of water on his back.   No mistake though, while a tad more respectful and aware of what Songkran means I've seen guys atop water tanker trucks with cannons on the major roads. My own family has barrels of water in the pickup. 

I've experienced the village version of Songkran as well. Much prefer it to the madness that with the early start on Soi 7 now stretches for 11 days in Pattaya.

Each year though on the 19th I venture out with a couple of good friends and enjoy one day of celebrating Songkran. The other 10 days I'll make every effort to avoid the water madness.

• Like 1

I was thinking about going to Pattaya/Thailand in April but because of Songkran I decided to wait.

• Upvote 1

Yes I saw this on the Nick Dean Vlog, along with the Las Vegas Beer bar complex opening. 

I still wonder why this is celebrated and regarded as good for business, so many seem to avoid it all. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I wish the numbnuts with the high pressure PVC water guns would realize how dangerous they are. Even though the sale and use of them are supposedly banned you still see vendors walking around selling them.

435589851_1360892021346042_4963881296827945358_n.jpg

Photo Credit: TPN https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1360892171346027

Will suggest some know how dangerous they can be and take some sort of perverse pleasure in attempting to injure people.

I have only been to one in Pattaya (about 6 years ago) and it will remain at one.  Had adequate safety protection (thank f***), with earplugs and safety glasses.  One absolute prick of a person aimed directly at my ears/eyes with his water cannon from close.  Could see the look of disappointment on his face when this seemed to have little effect.  Almost felt like I was being punched in the head.  Was in my late sixties then and this prick was a big strong fat c*** about 40.  Wish it had happened when I was 40.  Would have wrapped that cannon around his head.  But that's life...

Well if your new to the game here I would have sympathy. but you venture out with earplugs and safety glasses? Maybe best to run the ladyboy circuit and join me for a drink at the Corner bar.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it appears gone are the days when the water madness pretty much ended shortly after sunset, with the exception being the 18th and 19th. Last night the madness on Buakhao was still going strong at 8pm. That's when I saw the writing in the wet pavement that it wasn't going to end so left to find a safe, dry haven at King's Club.

I've always thought if a group of bar owners in one area got together and agreed to create a water free zone during the days leading up to the 19th, they would find themselves overwhelmed with customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Many of the owners I know around town have shut up shop and gone away until after the madness has finished. I personally have no issue with a bit of water throwing but what I cannot accept is the fcuking ferangs with those blue water cannon type guns which are definitely a danger to anyone on a motorcycle.

I’m tucked away up north at our house and the kids are playing water and one Thai wanted to plastered me with powder I politely said no thank you and off he toddled which is how it should be.

If I was in Pattaya I’m fairly sure it would have resulted in violence !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kingarthur said:

It looks like Ricky at Lips Lounge

and his mates in Soi Honey are trying 1117193330_Screenshot2024-04-13110123.thumb.jpg.df3c899a4faeef878f85dbe8abfcf0c8.jpg

They're trying, which is good thing, but a post this morning on PA said not all the bar owners are not on board with the water free zone.

For those that have expressed doubts that the water used during Songkran is dirty...

65 children fall sick from Songkran foam party

At least 65 children were diagnosed with rotavirus after joining a foam party celebrating the Songkran festival in Muang district.

The children were taken to Chao Phraya Yommarat Hospital and other private hospitals for treatment of diarrhoea, upset stomach, high fever, vomiting and rashes. Some were discharged while others remain under care.

They came down with the symptoms after joining a Songkran event at the Banana Conservation Centre in Suphan Buri, where a water tunnel and foam party had been arranged.
Mr Sorachud said the virus might have originated in the water used at the event. Authorities are waiting for test results to see if the water was contaminated. “No one wanted the situation to turn out like this; it was meant to be a safe space for children,” he added.

asiBebCi0C.jpg

Did anyone stop to think maybe it was the foam that got the kids sick and not the water? seems to me it would be more likely the foam.

3 hours ago, Olded said:

Did anyone stop to think maybe it was the foam that got the kids sick and not the water? seems to me it would be more likely the foam.

Or that the foam is the conduit for transmission of whatever sh1te is on the ground for ingestion by children

3 hours ago, Olded said:

The foam is water based and the rotavirus they were infected with can be picked up from water contaminated with feces.

Those trucks you see driving around and filling the buckets and water tanks more often than not load up with untreated water from nearby retention ponds. My guess is the foam was made from such a water source.

This screenshot is one of many such retention ponds scattered around on the darkside that you can see trucks regularly filling up at.

L41WXQPdHx.jpg

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9152224,100.9268318,188m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&entry=ttu

5 hours ago, Olded said:

Doctor Google will explain the rota virus for you.Just don't mention that there's a vaccine for it,there's some sensitive souls on here. 

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

This screenshot is one of many such retention ponds scattered around on the darkside that you can see trucks regularly filling up at.

I  saw enough water trucks going around during songkran delivering water..... most home utility supplies in town are often very low pressure, and filling a couple of those big blue buckets in a day might be optimistic. Those water tankers look like the ones that often empty septic tanks......

I recall when I was refilling my pool...... I wanted pretty clean water obviously...it was not cheap, bought per tanker delivered.

Edited by jacko
25 minutes ago, jacko said:

I  saw enough water trucks going around during songkran delivering water..... most home utility supplies in town are often very low pressure, and filling a couple of those big blue buckets in a day might be optimistic. Those water tankers look like the ones that often empty septic tanks......

I recall when I was refilling my pool...... I wanted pretty clean water obviously...it was not cheap, bought per tanker delivered.

There are places where I see trucks filling up with treated city water. One is on Bongkoch Soi 3, but as you said, that fill will cost a lot more than a truck that dips its fill snout into a scum filled pond.

vCNxbEGdXT.jpg

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9252315,100.8883951,3a,75y,145.87h,73.79t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1snP3OSbct2Bx48PpEfEtfGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i28?hl=en&entry=ttu

Here's what one of the foam producing machines look like. If you think about it, the surfactant used to create the foam is an ideal mechanism for causing whatever contaminants are in the water to adhere to your skin longer than normal. Something to think about before going to your next foam party.

Surfactant, substance such as a detergent that, when added to a liquid, reduces its surface tension, thereby increasing its spreading and wetting properties.

maxresdefault.jpg