Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

My friend and I are thinking of taking our ladies to Ko Larn Island tomorrow for a few hours relaxing on the beach. I've noticed that all up and down the beach from near to Soi Six to Walking Street there are speedboats for hire. ABout a month ago I got some prices as I was then considering bringing a group larger than four with snorkeling as part of the day's agenda. This time there will only be four of us with no snorkeling. My understanding is that the lowest cost option is to go to the main pier by baht bus. How many times a day does a boat leave from there and what are the regularly scheduled departure times? And what about getting a boat back to Pattaya? And what is the cost per person?

Hi

They come and go all day. The last one gets back to Pattaya before dark ( think it leaves Koh Larn around 1700-1730. Think it's 20-30 baht .

When I go, I take the noon ferry over and the 5 PM ferry back to Pattaya. I believe there are 2 ferrys that leave before noon and one that leaves after 5 PM. The cost is 20 baht per person each way. When you arrive at Koh Larn there are motorbike taxis drivers and baht bus drivers that will take you to a beach as there are none nearby. The baht bus guys charge 30 baht per person each way. There are around 6 beaches on the island so you find the guy that's going to the beach that you choose. I've only been to samae which is on the other side of the island. Ferry take about 40 minutes, get to the pier eary so that you can grab a seat on the upper level as the engine is located on the lower.

I'm a newbie to this forum although I've been to Pattaya seven times (with more to come!). I hope to go to Ko Larn Island on my next trip in March. I've researched the ferry but never priced out the speed boats. How much were they for the trip, Jack? Does the boat wait at the island until you're ready to return? And how long is the trip by speed boat?

You bargain with the speed boat guy. He'll ask about 1500 but 1000 will get you a ride but this will vary acccording to numbers. They will pick you up for return at a designated time but you know what Thais are like about time.

I own a speed boat and keep it at the boatyard under Royal Cliff. Some of the hire boats I have seen there are positively unsafe. Check for life jackets before starting out especially for ones kiddy size.

Take your own food. Rip off stalls want 100 for chicken and rice and they pay commission to boat drivers.

With my superior negotiating skills, I was able to hire a speedboat for my Tilac and myself for 1700 Baut.

I turned out that my Tilac 9She was from Isaan) had never been in the ocean, much less a speed boat, and promptly turned green.

We arrived in about 1/2 hour to a nice beach, but there was nothing to do but sit in beach chair and get hassled by all of the beach vendors.

After a couple of hours, we left out of boredom, and returned to Pattaya.

We could have had the same experience in Jomtien beach without the boat ride. Next time, I think that I will take the ferry to the little town and walk around and enjoy myself for the day.

I am also interested in visiting the Isle beaches on my next trip. Notice post said no beaches near drop off after ferry and must take bus/moto taxi to beaches.

Since I am not familiar at all to this island, can anyone recommend any beaches so I could tell driver upon arrival (ex. nice sand, clearer water , have or not have bathroom facilities etc).

Thanks

PT

all the beaches have what you are after ,my favourite is samae beach but the other one i tried was acceptable, the baht busses all go to different beaches just ask the driver which one he is going too,pay you money and give him your return time so he can come back and pick you up

Ferry take about 40 minutes, get to the pier eary so that you can grab a seat on the upper level as the engine is located on the lower.

Do I buy the ferry tickets on board or do they sell elsewhere before boarding? Thanks

PT

Edited by phantomtiger
Do I buy the ferry tickets on board or do they sell elsewhere before boarding? Thanks

PT

In Pattaya you can buy the tickets at the booth inside the building at the enterance to the pier where you'll also see the schedule of ferry times for departure and return. You can also just pay 20 baht onboard. On your return you pay 20 baht as you board the ferry or sometimes they collect the money after you've boarded. Samae beach is a few kilometers from the little town but you would have to wlk up a pretty good size hill as its on the other side of the island. From Pattaya you can see this road, if your fit and want a workout, go for it.

In Pattaya you can buy the tickets at the booth inside the building at the enterance to the pier where you'll also see the schedule of ferry times for departure and return. You can also just pay 20 baht onboard. On your return you pay 20 baht as you board the ferry or sometimes they collect the money after you've boarded. Samae beach is a few kilometers from the little town but you would have to wlk up a pretty good size hill as its on the other side of the island. From Pattaya you can see this road, if your fit and want a workout, go for it.

Thanks Emil,

Walking up a hill and several kilom. may be a great work out but not the one I had in mind. For my vacations, only work outs are in the bed. :P Cheers.

PT

Just curious if this "little town" is near Samae Beach=meaning walking distance of 10-15min. and if it is worth visiting ?

the "TOWN" is where the ferry lands and its 5/6 shops or bars and a few houses good for 10or 12 minutes sightseeing and you can do that while you wait for the ferry to leave if you get there a little early

cost of the speed boat for hire depends mainly on the size of the boat, if going with just you and your Telac then hire a smaller boat about 1200B the large boats will run 2500 but will carry 20 people. I go on the Ferry for 20 baht each way, then a song taow for 30 baht to samae beach motor bike is 50.

here is a website kohlarn website

maybe bagwan will take us all out there on his personal watercraft that he owns B)

Ok got all of one trip to ko larn under my belt so quite a newbie

But would like to add that there's also a glass bottom boat that takes

you from the pattaya pier directly to (forget the name) beach for 200bt

The ferry is a smaller than the public ferry and you arrive and return to pattaya

from that beach.

The details and that beaches name are mentioned at the web site link that wrassell posted.

The glass bottom part is just the trip into the beach from the ferry in a large lifeboat when they raise the floorboards lol...but you do see a little

Just an option between the speed boat or the public ferry and the baht bus

Edited by Walt

Thanks Walt

I was always cerious about the glass bottom boat that they rave about, they make it sound much better than that. I have heard from other scources that it is kind of a joke, and well for 200 baht it sounds like the price is a little steep as well. Taking the ferry for twenty baht and getting a songtao for another 20 or 30 over to the beach works out to 100baht both ways hmmm

Dream on bro. No free lunches in Thailand. :rolleyes:

Bagwan, are you stupid or something. I was just trying to be nice. You blow your horn about that boat all the time. Idiot I was just giving you some credit :clueless

Bagwan, are you stupid or something. I was just trying to be nice. You blow your horn about that boat all the time. Idiot I was just giving you some credit :D

I am far from stupid but I am 'something'. Did you not notice the avatar? Did it not tell you that my reply was light hearted?

I cannot recollect ever mentioning my boat before. Since it offends you, I won't mention it again, period.

One thing to do is make sure that the speedboat is yours all day, then you decide where to go and more importantly, when to leave. With a boat, you can beach hop.

I tend to toss the driver a coupl eof beers through the afternoon and spend about 3 to 4 hours on each trip.

The water is much cleaner than Pattaya but watch out for sea urchins.