Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 498 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Building A Better Pattaya Beer Garden

My apologies for the lack of updates on this blog recently. My weak excuse is that I have been home to NZ for a couple of weeks much needed R&R and we have been busy adding a few improvements to the Beer Garden as well.

We are approaching our 1st year of operation and with that experience behind us looking at ways we can improve the services The Pattaya Beer Garden offers.

Probably the biggest problem I could see was that the main bar was so large that it was a little hard for people trying to meet the girl of her dreams. I wrote in February about the smaller, more intimate bar we were adding specially for those looking to meet someone. Well it has been operational for about a month and seems to be fulfilling its function. Freelancer numbers are up and most are choosing to sit at the small bar. Our afternoon promotion is having a slow but sure effect and the number of girls about in the afternoon is on the increase. We could still use much more and so the promotion will continue through April and probably May as well.

mar01.jpg

The new bar in operation.

mar02.jpg

No change to the bar would be complete without a picture of a crazy Thai workman. In this fine example, when the ladder was not high enough to reach the roof the simple and obvious solution is to tie two ladders together.

mar03.jpg

mar04.jpg

mar05.jpg

mar06.jpg

mar07.jpg

mar08.jpg

mar09.jpg

mar10.jpg

The tables around the inside of the bar annoyed me. The problem with them was that they were normal height tables so people sitting at the sort of disappeared and go a free view of the bums of people sitting at the nearby bar. (Sometimes not such a bad thing). We have now replaced all the inside tables near the bar with new models that are at standard bar height and they have comfy high backed chairs as well. We have also added fans above this internal seating as it could get quite hot sitting there.

mar11.jpg

mar12.jpg

mar13.jpg

These tables all have a near by power point as well and so make an excellent workplace for those who want to use the free wifi.

The final improvement finished last month was to the toilets. I made the classic mistake when we built the bar of letting the builders choose the toilets. Of course they chose cheap Thai made ones that are too small for many Farang bums and with a plastic mechanism so cheap it would break if you looked at it for too long. Having kept out maintenance man fully employed for the past year fixing them I finally bit the bullet and threw out the four units we had and purchased five brand new American made Farang friendly appliances. The fifth one will eventually be installed in the Ladies where we only have two stalls at the moment. ( a bit of a bottle neck at times).

mar14.jpg

It's only a toilet but it is Farang friendly.

Having got all that out of the way we are no revisiting the menu. No drastic changes are planned but we will drop a few items that do not sell so well and add a few new things. I asked our Executive Chef about a Sausage based meal to add to our comfort food menu and she blew me away by preparing a gourmet delight Sausage and Mash spectacular. With the special sauce she adds it is actually one of my favorite meals now and even a few Thai's who tried it out really loved it. It should be on the menu in a few days.

VEGETARIANS TAKE NOTE:

I've had a few vegies approach me in the last month asking if we could add some vegie food. We do a mixed vegetable Thai dish as well as Fried Rice with vegetables but we are now looking to add some Tofu dishes as well. As I am not a vegetarian any feedback from the Vegies out there as to what you would like to see on our menu would be welcome.

We get a lot of good comments on our steaks. This surprised me a little as I made a decision way back at the start that we would have to use local beef as the imported steaks would lift the price beyond the bracket we wanted to be in. As many of you will know local Thai beef does not make for great steaks but it seemed an unavoidable compromise.

While recently going through the prices of different suppliers with the Executive Chef we were looking at steak and she pointed out to me where our steaks come from and how much they cost. I was more than a little taken back when I realized she has been buying and serving imported New Zealand steak the whole time. No wonder they taste so good.

Although our profit margin is a bit low on these steaks I am pleasantly surprised that we can do them for the price we do. It must be the cheapest imported steak in Pattaya. We will continue serving these at the same price and I will stop telling everyone they are local beef.

In light of the world wide credit crunch and the tough economic situation we will not be raising any of our prices in the foreseeable future. Thailand is actually experiencing quite high inflation at the moment and our cost of goods have gone up around 10 percent in the past year. The volume that we are doing is much greater than I originally planned for though and good news about that, is that it will allow us to absorb the price increases and not pass them on to our customers.

See you in the Beer Garden.

Cheers

Pete

G'day Pete, was in the PBG several times a few weeks back.

Place looks great and the views are suberb. Loved it mate.

Ordered several Thai dishes on different days and the food came out very promptly and was very tasty.

A couple of suggestions:

The tables out the back left near the Buddha statue are popular for the views but are very dark and the candles don't do a very good job of lighting the area. This ain't such a problem if you're just having a drink but many like to see their food so they can avoid gulping down the chillies. How about some better lighting around those outside tables?

Also as it's a "garden" a few more plants in the joint wouldn't hurt.

Cheers

Edited by Dungheap
threw out the four units we had and purchased five brand new American made Farang friendly appliances.

mar14.jpg

Good choice, we do know how to handle shit. :bigsmile:

Looking forward to my next visit.

Great to see the business is improving and your safely back from NZ, hope you can extend your promotion through to May when I arrive. can't wait to check the place out. :bigsmile:

Great to see the business is improving and your safely back from NZ, hope you can extend your promotion through to May when I arrive. can't wait to check the place out. :bigsmile:
You coming to LOS then Rick?

I knew there was SOMETHING I liked about you-NZ!

Did you install the live feed cameras in the ladies toilet as promised or will that happen when the new polcelain conveniences are installed?

Smaller bar and new tables and fans are good ideas.

"Executive Chef"? Huh?

Good news Pete, thanks for your hard work. Will be sitting in the bar with three mates nightly from 24th April. Keep those freelancers coming in!!

I reckon those black plastic? seats are gonna get pretty damned hot.

My arse/shorts would be soaking wet after sitting on one of those for more than 10 mins.

Nothing worse than leaving a restaurant looking like you've pissed your pants :sorry

Great renovations Pete...but are you going to do anything about the long walk to the Beer Garden from Beach road past loads of eager, young bar girls who are keen to pull any males walking past into their bars?

Great renovations Pete...but are you going to do anything about the long walk to the Beer Garden from Beach road past loads of eager, young bar girls who are keen to pull any males walking past into their bars?

Duh! Excuse me! Just what the hell do you suggest that he do?????? It's the way it is and if one wants to go to the PBG, just keep walking! No problem!

Oh! I know! Maybe offer helicopter service from Beach Rd. to drop in the PBG on the deck. Guess Pete could install a landing pad?

:grin-jump

Duh! Excuse me! Just what the hell do you suggest that he do?????? It's the way it is and if one wants to go to the PBG, just keep walking! No problem!

Oh! I know! Maybe offer helicopter service from Beach Rd. to drop in the PBG on the deck. Guess Pete could install a landing pad?

:grin-jump

It's not the long walk into the PBG that is is so bad...so much as the return trip past all those BGs again 5 minutes later when you discover that there are only 3 freelancers in the whole of the 50 metres square PBG bar area. :allright

Yeah-he's going to supply 3 day's worth of Zithromax in case one of them comes in contact with you.

It's not the long walk into the PBG that is is so bad...so much as the return trip past all those BGs again 5 minutes later when you discover that there are only 3 freelancers in the whole of the 50 metres square PBG bar area. :D

Sounds like you would be much better off to take a pass on going to the PBG and just pick up one of the FL's off of Beach Rd. However, I am sure that you will be greatly missed! :D

Appears that there are a lot more features at the PBG that attrack people other than FL's, such as reasonable drink prices, good food and a good seaside setting.

And, Arno come lately, the issue of the walk into the PBG and the return trip was discussed before you joined this board.

As usual, you are a day late and a dollar short! Any more informative posts about Pete's business? 2guns

It's not the long walk into the PBG that is is so bad...so much as the return trip past all those BGs again 5 minutes later when you discover that there are only 3 freelancers in the whole of the 50 metres square PBG bar area. :D
And in each one of those 12 sqm bars, there are 50 girls packed in like sardines in a can!

Will be arriving in LOS 6th May, and staying in Pattaya until the 20th May. :D

You are beginning to remind me of BigD..... let that be a warning. :D Will you be taking a holiday from the Forum during this time?

Edited by jacko
Sounds like you would be much better off to take a pass on going to the PBG and just pick up one of the FL's off of Beach Rd. However, I am sure that you will be greatly missed! :D

Appears that there are a lot more features at the PBG that attrack people other than FL's, such as reasonable drink prices, good food and a good seaside setting.

And, Arno come lately, the issue of the walk into the PBG and the return trip was discussed before you joined this board.

As usual, you are a day late and a dollar short! Any more informative posts about Pete's business? :D

Jerry,

I think Arno's comments are perfectly valid. The PBG was touted (is touted?) as being Pattaya's answer to the Soi 7 Biergarten in BKK. If you made your way to the PBG expecting much of the same then there is every chance that you are going to be disappointed. Maybe Pete should just rename it PBG and do away with the Beer Garden bit, just as he did with the Freelancer Bar.

Will you be taking a holiday from the Forum during this time?

Yes will definatley be taking a holiday from everything, might have to take notes as I go, so I can compile some sort of TR when I get back to Oz on the 31st May. Hope to meet up with some of the characters on this board and exchange experiences. :D

Yes will definatley be taking a holiday from everything, might have to take notes as I go, so I can compile some sort of TR when I get back to Oz on the 31st May. Hope to meet up with some of the characters on this board and exchange experiences. :thumbup

Well this little black duck,from perth, will be there also from may 15 :bigsmile:

Jerry,

I think Arno's comments are perfectly valid. The PBG was touted (is touted?) as being Pattaya's answer to the Soi 7 Biergarten in BKK. If you made your way to the PBG expecting much of the same then there is every chance that you are going to be disappointed. Maybe Pete should just rename it PBG and do away with the Beer Garden bit, just as he did with the Freelancer Bar.

Tom:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I must disagree. What? Throw in the towel now?

So, there were only 3- FL's at the PBG at the time he visited. OK, not exactly what one would find at the Biergarten in BKK. However, Pete is still trying to attrack the ladies in larger numbers, as all of us that have followed the progress know, but unfortunately it is not attracting the FL's in the manner Pete was expecting. But, I give him an A+ for continuing his efforts. After one year of operation he is still trying to attrack more FL's.

Pattaya has the distinction of having a Coconut Bar that is in operation day and night and is very well established. This is unlike BKK. Sure, you have the late night FL's hanging out at the Nana car park, but nothing in BKK that I am aware of that serves as a day & night operation such as the Coconut Bar. BIG obstacle to overcome; if one can?

Pete has constantly promoted different ways of attracting greater numbers of FL's but it appears that at present he has not hit on the "magic formula." Maybe there isn't one? But, I would hate to see him throw in the towel and forsake the original intent.

Fortunately, it also appears tht PBG is doing quite well on drinks and food so Pete is under no financial pressure to make a move such as he did with the FLB.

I for one, hope he continues his efforts!

Pete just back from 30 days in fun town

For the 2nd trip your place was my favorite stop to eat at.

Just a great spot be it day or night.

And all your staff are just great always smiling and extremeley helpful

Just love going there for dinner,View and Di LOM (good breeze,I think?).And the staff with the torches for the outside tables is just a hoot.Boy did we have fun with that, and your staff play along with us laughing with or at the funny Fallang :allright

That Thai Seafood Salad is to Die for :gulp (had to remember to ask staff Nit Noi spicey) Otherwise the sinus got a good clearing Ha Ha

Only thing might be worth thinking about is removable cushions for outside tables,but we did tend to stay quite a while as we enjoyed your place so much

10 out of 10 mate,very well done.

Bruiser

Well this little black duck,from perth, will be there also from may 15 :allright

I thought all you got from Perth was little black swans :cry2 hope to catch up for a few drinks with you mate. :D

That Thai Seafood Salad is to Die for :gulp

10 out of 10 mate,very well done.

Bruiser

After a recommendation like that how can one pass up a chance to visit the PBG. :D