Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

"You can live like a king."

I always reckon on spending at least £500 per week as a single bloke

$1000 a week that sounds reasonable as a ball park figure. $200 a day seems pretty good for a holiday.

Edited by samfreeland
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago I spent a month traveling all over Thailand and mongering. I spent $1,000 USD, not counting my flight here and back. I stayed another month traveling Asia, part of that time back in

Damn, and I complain about the amount I give the lady that stays with me full time. Am I cheap, or are you overly generous? Both maybe?

Don't worry Brat pack I will be there in late January to make my controbution.

I budget about 10K baht per day not including hotel. I don't drink a lot but i find i spend a lot on food as i prefer western food. Somedays i'm over budget and other days I'm under.

I guess i live I live like a "KING" if i want it i buy it or fuck it. I don't let a silly thing like money ruin my holiday, You spend so much getting there why cheap out when you arrive?

that's directed at the 2-3 week tourist not ex pats or guys who stay for months.

10K baht a day is a lot not including hotel. My 'budget' was around 6400 baht ($200) a day not including hotel on my 1st trip, some days went way over, many days under. But yea I agree, there's no reason to cheap out, bring enough cash to have a hell of a time, and no reason to worry if you go over your daily budget a few times. My dream is to move to Thailand for 6 months to a year if I can get a full time telecommute job. I can't imagine spending $200/day then, I'd have to get a live in GF and do mostly ST's like the other expats.

Don't worry Brat pack I will be there in late January to make my controbution.

I budget about 10K baht per day not including hotel. I don't drink a lot but i find i spend a lot on food as i prefer western food. Somedays i'm over budget and other days I'm under.

I guess i live I live like a "KING" if i want it i buy it or fuck it. I don't let a silly thing like money ruin my holiday, You spend so much getting there why cheap out when you arrive?

that's directed at the 2-3 week tourist not ex pats or guys who stay for months.

Thats over 330,000 baht a month,i dont think many expats live like that lol.

I spend about 60,000 a month,excluding replacing things that wear out,30,000 for a new suite,12,500 for a new fridge freezer,in the last few weeks.

When my pensions,serps mature i havent got a clue what i will spend it on,maybe more holidays but i am very happy in Thailand,its one big holiday for me.I gave up a 40,000+gbp job and have no regrets,and can enjoy life more,after retiring at 50.

If i was a tourist,of course i would spend more,but the expats are here all year round,at to be honest,it gets a bit boring at times,listening to the crap off the girls and even mates who come over and think they are pulling birds rather than paying for hookers

Twenty years ago I spent a month traveling all over Thailand and mongering. I spent $1,000 USD, not counting my flight here and back. I stayed another month traveling Asia, part of that time back in Thailand, and spent another $800 USD I wasn't backpacking either. Always stayed in an air-con hotel, traveled first class by rail, flew economy, and took VIP buses. I believe the most expensive lady I took was $8 USD on Patpong. I limited my time in BKK, I spent to much there, and didn't come to Pattaya. I visited a friend at the time, staying in Chang Mai, and living well on $600 a month. That was when I decided that I would retire here. I think that things have changed. LOL, Considerably. My best deal was a hotel in Jakarta, air-con for 50 cents a night. It was really a dollar, but a gorgeous Columbian girl came in right after me wanting a room, and it was the only room left. It was a big room with two beds so the owner said "Why don't you share it" It took me all of a nanosecond to say sure, that's OK with me. A crappy hotel in Singapore was the most expensive, I forget the price, but I remember it was two or three times the price of a nicer hotel in Thailand.

Ahhhh... the good old days...i wish I had started my mongering much earlier than I did. All those wasted years and opportunities lost...and ladies not met

Just to add that as a pensioner I’ve lived in Thailand for 14 years and anyone thinking of doing the same let me say that to live a comfortable life here without any worries you need a pension of ‘at least’ £20..000 per year.

And that’s after TAX!!

Any less than that and you’ll find yourself drinking Leo at 45 baht outside the mini-marts.

Coming to Thailand for two weeks with a year’s worth of savings in your pocket is not reality............................Been there, done it!!

Make no mistake to live a comfortable life in LOS does not come cheap and as one of your so-called cheap Charlie’s I spend somewhere in the region of 80-100.000 baht per month.

My rented house (I refuse to buy one in LOS) costs me 20.000 baht per month.

Daughter at school sees of 50.000 baht a year.

Thai wives don’t come cheap.

Food, Insurances, transport costs, clothing, holidays, etc, etc, and it all comes out of the one pocket.

It soon adds up.

When you live amongst it, the P4P scene soon becomes a bore as does the bullshit that goes with it.

Edited by nam-thip

My two trips to Pattaya were 3 years ago when the baht was 36 and 32 to the US dollar. I had a great time spending no more than $100 a day plus hotel. That included all of my spending including a huge suitcase of new shirts that I took home. I still have new shirts in my closet from the trip. I ate mostly western food, had daily massages, and daily long time ladies from beer bars and short time at Soi 6. I never felt I was missing anything. I don't drink a lot, so some savings there. If you have a limited budget, a vacation in Thailand on a budget is better than a vacation anywhere else in the world. Don't be intimidated by the big spenders on here. Go and you will have a great time.

seems to me there are a few versions of "living"

A . living alone- frugal lifestyle {under 30k a month}

B .Living with gf, albiet changing a few times a year

C.Living with wife/kids/ inlaws/hangers on

D.Living with mongering

the retirement requirement with visa ia a recommended 65k income per month

most guys who seem to be sensible keep quoting expenses in the 60,000's per month, none of them quote they are living like a king.

is living with a wife"living like a king"?

is living with a gf"living like a king"?

is living on less than 30k a month "living like a king"?

personally I would rather holiday and chose which days/nights I want to "live like a king" :rolleyes:

Any time i have been there i have spent what ever i felt like, i work hard so when i am on holiday i play hard:)

Probably the most expensive trip for me was 3 weeks over xmas, new year and my birthday. Excluding hotel and flight which were prepaid i done between £4000 and £5000 although i did come home with a good few designer polo shirt and a suitcase full of smokes

My two trips to Pattaya were 3 years ago when the baht was 36 and 32 to the US dollar. I had a great time spending no more than $100 a day plus hotel. That included all of my spending including a huge suitcase of new shirts that I took home. I still have new shirts in my closet from the trip. I ate mostly western food, had daily massages, and daily long time ladies from beer bars and short time at Soi 6. I never felt I was missing anything. I don't drink a lot, so some savings there. If you have a limited budget, a vacation in Thailand on a budget is better than a vacation anywhere else in the world. Don't be intimidated by the big spenders on here. Go and you will have a great time.

Excellent post,

you dont have to spend a fortune to have a good time and you should not be intimidated by those who brag about how much money they spend.

I know many expats that live in good accomodation(apartments with pool) on a budget of about 30k per month. .. They dont go out drinking every night and only take about 2-3 ladies per week but that is living like a king compared to home.

I would be very happy living a frugal lifestyle in Pattaya but I think I would spend in the region of 40k-45k per month just for extra comfort, I could live happily enough on 1000 baht per day all inclusive but I would have to allow for visa runs and health insurance.

I've been thinking this over, mulling my lifestyle at home and on holiday. In my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, etc., etc., I already live like a king.

Would more money make my life easier? Yes.

Would more money make me happier? Maybe, maybe not.

I have a decent job that I actually enjoy, I own a small house/small mortgage, decent boat and I go to Thailand once a year for a month. What would make me happier? A bigger house? A bigger boat? More complications in my life?

Most importantly I have great friends.

If I could change anything in my life at this time, I would be debt free. Winning the lottery just might kill me :rolleyes:

When I go to Thailand, in some ways, I FEEL like a king. I think that's all that really matters.

Excellent post,

you dont have to spend a fortune to have a good time and you should not be intimidated by those who brag about how much money they spend.

I can't recall anyone on his board bragging about how much money they spend. Can you give an example of a post where a BM bragged about spending a lot of money during a Pattaya holiday?

There appear to be more posts from people who brag about how little they spend.

Evil

:rolleyes:

Edited by Evil Penevil
I can't recall anyone on his board bragging about how much money they spend. Can you give an example of a post where a BM bragged about spending a lot of money during a Pattaya holiday?

Evil

There are board members who report paying over what dontcha feels is the correct amount. They are reporting their experiences, and from what I can see, are not bragging...just saying what they did and paid.

Hell, I almost always pay 1000-1500 for a ST from a gogo dancer. I'm not bragging. I'm just saying that's the way I do it. And, for me, I consider that a fair deal.

Evil

Here you go......

Evil

:D

As far as I'm concerned all those that keep directing the Thai peasant girl refrain of 'Cheap Charlie' towards those sensible BMs that don't pay more than they need to are, if not directly then at least by inference, 'Bragging'

I've been thinking this over, mulling my lifestyle at home and on holiday. In my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, etc., etc., I already live like a king.

Would more money make my life easier? Yes.

Would more money make me happier? Maybe, maybe not.

I have a decent job that I actually enjoy, I own a small house/small mortgage, decent boat and I go to Thailand once a year for a month. What would make me happier? A bigger house? A bigger boat? More complications in my life?

Most importantly I have great friends.

If I could change anything in my life at this time, I would be debt free. Winning the lottery just might kill me :D

When I go to Thailand, in some ways, I FEEL like a king. I think that's all that really matters.

Cheers my friend.

You sum it up well.

I too enjoy my life: my family, friends, lifestyle in America!!!

But I do so love Thailand!!!

When I depart the plane in BKK, the bright lights, the hustle, the throngs of people. It is almost as if I hear....

"Do we have speed? Yes, okay people....we have speed....Okay now, one, two... Lights, camera, and, ACTION" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Script

Bigus pushes his way through the undulating masses. He approaches passport control, (Pauses, turns towards camera 1) smiles wryly (conveying the adventure has begun)......fade to car driving fast to a playground called Pattaya.

I have been to Thailand/Pattaya many, many times. But each time it is special. Nowhere else comes close!

Edited by BigusDicus
As far as I'm concerned all those that keep directing the Thai peasant girl refrain of 'Cheap Charlie' towards those sensible BMs that don't pay more than they need to are, if not directly then at least by inference, 'Bragging'

Utter Pigshit. It's the cheapos that bragg. Gabby and Dontcha have been trying to slag off my choice of accomodation, saying it is cheap. Sounds like a bragg to me!

The cheap mob get abuse because they try to lecture us, and call everyone who idiots, when it's their tiny minority that's idiotic.

those sensible BMs

That sums up your inanbility to follow whats posted. Their claims aren't sensible. They contradict themselves and pay more than they tell others to pay. And Gabby claims he spends more when he knocks back a TG that asks over 1,000 because he goes on looking and spending. The word "sensible" can't be used for the gutter twins!

A few years ago, I tried to live in Pattaya for a month on 1000 Baht per day. I was able to do it but it was tight. I didn't go out every day. I wouldn't want to do this every month. One thing to remember it's way different living in Pattaya when your on vacation then if you lived here year round.

However you look at it, Pattaya is much less expensive than it could be.

Just the other day, I was talking with a friend about taking a short trip to New York City. Anyway, we were discussing a little hotel I stayed at about 10 years ago. Today's price: $900.00 - $1100.00 per night! I suppose you might be able to find a deal, but you'd still be paying at least half of that. The place was nice, but it wasn't that much nicer than the typical nice hotel you might find in Pattaya for $100 or less. And I do believe you'd probably have more fun in Pattaya.

Cheers my friend.

You sum it up well.

I too enjoy my life: my family, friends, lifestyle in America!!!

But I do so love Thailand!!!

When I depart the plane in BKK, the bright lights, the hustle, the throngs of people. It is almost as if I hear....

"Do we have speed? Yes, okay people....we have speed....Okay now, one, two... Lights, camera, and, ACTION" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Script

Bigus pushes his way through the undulating masses. He approaches passport control, (Pauses, turns towards camera 1) smiles wryly (conveying the adventure has begun)......fade to car driving fast to a playground called Pattaya.

I have been to Thailand/Pattaya many, many times. But each time it is special. Nowhere else comes close!

Life and half bad, is it? :devil

Utter Pigshit. It's the cheapos that bragg. Gabby and Dontcha have been trying to slag off my choice of accomodation, saying it is cheap. Sounds like a bragg to me!

The cheap mob get abuse because they try to lecture us, and call everyone who idiots, when it's their tiny minority that's idiotic.

That sums up your inanbility to follow whats posted. Their claims aren't sensible. They contradict themselves and pay more than they tell others to pay. And Gabby claims he spends more when he knocks back a TG that asks over 1,000 because he goes on looking and spending. The word "sensible" can't be used for the gutter twins!

Well you certainly come across as a level headed BM enjoying life.

Thanks for all your well thought out advice but I think I'll just stick to enjoying myself and getting the best value for money I can as I would anywhere.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Bush Pig

The key word here is live. To me that means your not in Thailand on holiday, but actually have your permanent home there. I've been an expat in 2 different countries in Asia already and plan to retire in Thailand. ( I visit 10+ time a year). For me to live at the same lifestyle level I do in my country of citizenship, Thailand will actually cost about 10-20% more. Yes I know I can get a place in Nakon Nowhere, eat rice and mice and what grows in my garden, make my own booze and live on 4K baht a month but that's not the same lifestyle I have now.

There is a HUGE difference between expat mode and holiday mode. I live upcountry and live exactly as I want. I definitely don't live on a budget. Whatever it cost, that's what it costs. There is only my wife and I and we don't pay any rent. That said, we spend no more than 30,000 baht per month.

I do take occasional trips to Pattaya/Jomtien. I go there by myself and although I am not a bell ringer I do everything I want to do. I average about 5,000 baht per day on these trips including a decent hotel room. Pattaya is definitely no longer cheap.

Guys who go to Pattaya thinking they can live on $1,000 USD a month will soon realize that they will sit at home most of the time and will have to be careful even doing that.