Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thai Cops to Crack Down on Foreign Gangs

It took them awhile, but it looks like the crackdown is underway:

The raid(s) were part of a larger national crackdown on drugs.

To put things in perspective, over 21,000 people were arrested in raids nationwide during a two-week period for drugs related offences. Of that 21,000, 3 arrests for drug related offences took place during the reported raid in the area of Sukhumvit Sois 3-5.

Likewise, the national raids netted 1.6 million methamphetamine pills and 8.5 kg of ice (24 grammes at Soi3-5) and almost 300 kg of marijuana (167 grammes at Soi 3-5).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the photo in the base Bangkok Post article where one of the detainees has a "paid" stamp on his hand allowing him to leave the BiB cordon. LOL gotta love Thailand.

LOL, how in the hell do you know "most of them are Liberians?". You are either a troll or trolling for something. Otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've been in and around the area since the late 70s. It has always been a riskier area with a much different vibe than the other side of across Sukhumvit. Those of us that worked int he Middle East li

Posted Images

If only the Metropolitan Police Chief could make the same remarks about rude, aggressive behaviour needing to be controlled in our country ! Well spoken Col Chatchai- good on you son ! :unsure:

In Thailand, it is considered a fair assessment of the situation. Here, the Liberals would be calling for the Chiefs head, branding him a RACIST and Boris Johnston must sack him as such.

That is one of the many things wrong with our PC ways, in the west. :allright

If only the Metropolitan Police Chief could make the same remarks about rude, aggressive behaviour needing to be controlled in our country ! Well spoken Col Chatchai- good on you son ! :rotflmao

In Thailand, it is considered a fair assessment of the situation. Here, the Liberals would be calling for the Chiefs head, branding him a RACIST and Boris Johnston must sack him as such.

That is one of the many things wrong with our PC ways, in the west. :rolleyes:

Having just posted this. I read in the Times about a French journalist, who was supporting the French police, in stopping more black and Arab minorities, than others, in their searches for drugs.

Eric Zemmour 52 one of France's best known journalists, is on trial for inciting hatred. The charges came not from one, or two, or three, or four, but five anti discrimination groups.....

Over 50% of prisoners in France have Arab or African origin names, said a supporter of Mr Zemmour.

Phillippe Bilger. chief prosecutor at the Paris Appeals court was also cautioned recently, for saying in his blog " All blacks and Arabs are not drug dealers, but many are ! "

Why let things like facts get in the way of good PC ! :thumbup

The purpose of street sweeps like the one in Bangkok is not so much to seize illegal drugs but to disrupt trading and to deprive both buyers and selling of a safe haven. Street-level dealing by its nature involves small amounts of dope. But the effect on the neighborhoods where this trade takes place is always negative. Drive away the pushers and their customers and you start to reclaim the streets.

Evil

:ang2

I wonder what happens to the drugs, once they have been submitted as evidence ? One would imagine that they are destroyed, but I have often wondered whether some or all, still end up on the streets ??? :ang2

Very interesting article in the Bangkok Post: Narcotics cops to target Africans

Let's hope they succeed and that the gangs they run out of Bangkok don't switch their base of operations to Pattaya.

Evil

:ang2

Easy to bust them all, they're hanging out at a little bar in Soi 5 next to Foodland. Most of them are Liberians and it's not only drugs they are in. (Prostitution, Blood Diamonds & all sorts of other scams).

Met a chap a few years back who was known by the name "General Mosquito" was looting Liberia with James Taylor (President) together.

Hope the Thais are waking up & are getting rid of this black scum a.s.a.p. !!!

Easy to bust them all, they're hanging out at a little bar in Soi 5 next to Foodland. Most of them are Liberians and it's not only drugs they are in. (Prostitution, Blood Diamonds & all sorts of other scams).

Met a chap a few years back who was known by the name "General Mosquito" was looting Liberia with James Taylor (President) together.

LOL, how in the hell do you know "most of them are Liberians?". You are either a troll or trolling for something. Otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wondered what happened to James Taylor. I was a big fan of his in the 70s. :ang2

You're thinking of his little brother Charles

It's an easy mistake to make. I always confuse Harpo Marx with Karl Marx, because neither of them talked in any of the movies. :whistling:

There are different gangs trying to establish themselves around Suk Soi 3-5. The Nigerians have been involved in street-level dealing for years, but pretty much held to the sub-sois. The Liberian and Sierra Leone ex-militia guys are relative newcomers but have a more visible presence, except on very dark nights.

Evil

:whistling:

There are different gangs trying to establish themselves around Suk Soi 3-5. The Nigerians have been involved in street-level dealing for years, but pretty much held to the sub-sois. The Liberian and Sierra Leone ex-militia guys are relative newcomers but have a more visible presence, except on very dark nights.

Evil

:allright

Thanks, the next time I see a black man in Bangkok, I shall assume that he is a drug dealer :rolleyes: :whistling:

I wonder what happens to the drugs, once they have been submitted as evidence ? One would imagine that they are destroyed, but I have often wondered whether some or all, still end up on the streets ??? whistling

Once a year, the Thais publicly and proudly burn all the seized drugs that are no longer needed as evidence. It is always a huge pile that goes up in smoke. Without doubt, some seized drugs make it back to where they once belonged -- but not all or close to all.

Thanks, the next time I see a black man in Bangkok, I shall assume that he is a drug dealer

The phrase "black man" can include men from many different countries. There are some "black men" working at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok who are definitely not drug dealers - in fact, quite the opposite.

But if you see a black man from Africa who is hanging out on the street corners around Suk Soi 3-5, especially late at night, there is a reasonable basis to suspect he is involved in drugs or other illegal activity. If you see a black man from Africa who is working as a doctor in a hospital in Bangkok or lecturing at a university or working in the office of a multi-national corporation, it is reasonable to assume he isn't a drug dealer.

But I doubt you'll find many African medical doctors, professors or business executives who hang out all night on Suk Soi 3-5 accosting passers-by.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Used to be one of my favored watering holes until that scum started to show up & took over the place. Unavoidably got to know quite a few of them. :grin-jump

WHAT do YOU know??? ..... not much at all it seems. :grin-jump

You're thinking of his little brother Charles

It's an easy mistake to make. I always confuse Harpo Marx with Karl Marx, because neither of them talked in any of the movies. :grin-jump

You're right my mistake mate. :grin-jump Downed a few stubbies last nite, perhaps a couple to many. :grin-jump

Just out of curiosity - has anyone talked to one of the scammers? What's their angle? I read on another board that two will approach a tourist and ask if he wants to buy a gold coin. They'll try to hand the coin to the tourist, who may or may not actually handle it. They'll ask 5,000 or 10,000 baht for the coin, which of course not even a fool would consider.

Here's where the scam comes - they will let the tourist get a few steps away, then claim the tourist hasn't given them the coin back. Since he can't produce, they will demand money. At that point, five or six other guys suddenly appear and start threatening the tourist. Usually that is enough for the tourist to hand over whatever cash he has.

It's a common scam with many variations. It's done a lot in the U.S. in neighborhoods where certain ethnic groups dominant and an outsider wanders in by mistake. Sometimes a ring or watch is offered instead of a coin. Sometimes the scammer will bump into the mark and drop a bag containing a bottle. He'll then claim there had been expensive booze or medicine in the bottle that got broken and demand compensation. Again, a crowd forms quickly to press the demand for money.

Best advice - until either Thai cops or moto drivers clean up the infestations around Suk Soi 3-5, it's best to avoid the area, especially at night, if you are farang,

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Country Roads one of my regular bars in BKK overlooks the bar that a lot of these guys seem to drink in, next to food land on soi 5. I’ve never had a problem with them they seem to “run” the black girls that operate on Sukhmvit but that’s between them and the BIB. Had a little chat with one at the bar/restaurant on the corner of 5 and Sukhmvit once about a drunk German who was quite amusing seemed OK he didn’t try to sell me any blood diamonds or “scam” me in fact offered me a drink at one point. I’ve had more hassle off white scam artistes than I have had of black ones in BKK that’s for sure

:clueless

Edited by Montydog
I’ve had more hassle off white scam artistes than I have had of black ones in BKK that’s for sure

LIkewise. I've never encountered a problem with either the Arab or African guys in that part of town, let alone one-armed librarians. I'm sure some of them are up to no good, but the same could be said for loads of white guys in Bangkok - the foreign population of Bangkok's prisons confirms that. There's a couple of good barbers and restaurants in the L shaped soi that runs between Soi 3 and Sukhumvit that I regularly use. The black guys and girls I've met there frequented the same businesses because the barbers sold products suitable for their hair type. If some folk want to judge individual guys based on the colour of their skin, where they hang out, or how they dress - up to them. Bumrungrad is also full of blacks and Arabs, so what conclusion are we meant to draw from that?

Edited by CheshireTom
Bumrungrad is also full of blacks and Arabs, so what conclusion are we meant to draw from that?

The patients at Bumrungrad are getting medical treatment; the guys hanging out on Suk Soi 3-5 are selling illegal drugs or running other scams.

But I"m not the only one who's seen a heavy concentration of pushers around Suk Soi 3-5. Here's what Chatchai Sirisabphya from the Narcotics Suppression Bureau said about the situation around Suk Soi 3 a year ago in the Bangkok Post.

''The suppression of the West African drug syndicates in Bangkok and in other parts of Thailand is one of our top priorities. We tackle the problem head-on on several fronts every day,'' said Pol Col Chatchai, who is in charge of the Bangkok Metropolitan area.

''However, despite all-out efforts their drug-related activities are increasing. They import cocaine and ice from Latin America and other countries and sell it here.'' ...

He estimated there were several hundred people from West African countries involved in the illicit drug trade in Bangkok in well-organised gangs. ...

''They will leave their apartment at night and get together on Sukhumvit Road sois 3, 4, 5 or at Pratunam area. These people will never live there, or just come for business,'' Pol Col Chatchai said.

In an article a year later about the raid on Suk Soi 3, the same Pol Col Chatchai said: "The pushers hang around the surrounding lanes all day and night."

Evil

:rolleyes:

Some photos I took on Suk Soi 5:

Armchopper1.jpg____Armchopper3.jpg

Armchopper4.jpg

The patients at Bumrungrad are getting medical treatment; the guys hanging out on Suk Soi 3-5 are selling illegal drugs or running other scams.

Obviously you were hanging out in the area to take the pics.

I've no doubt that some are, and I've no doubt that many others aren't. There are several places in Pattaya that are infamous hangouts for white paedos - it doesn't mean that every white guy you spot in the area is into kiddie fiddling. For someone who advises other BMs to avoid the area, you appear to regularly ignore your own advice.

Edited by CheshireTom
The phrase "black man" can include men from many different countries. There are some "black men" working at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok who are definitely not drug dealers - in fact, quite the opposite.

But if you see a black man from Africa who is hanging out on the street corners around Suk Soi 3-5, especially late at night, there is a reasonable basis to suspect he is involved in drugs or other illegal activity. If you see a black man from Africa who is working as a doctor in a hospital in Bangkok or lecturing at a university or working in the office of a multi-national corporation, it is reasonable to assume he isn't a drug dealer.

But I doubt you'll find many African medical doctors, professors or business executives who hang out all night on Suk Soi 3-5 accosting passers-by.

Evil

:thumbup

yep....I have several mates who are SEPPO DEA guys in all aspects of the biz......the number I have heard bantered around is 85% of all West Africans in Bangkok are dealing. And a lot of them are recruited by the Triad not West African War lords. It is a tangled mess and that street level BIB who is making a small cut by turning and looking away are not working solo....the web of authorities in on the action is mind boggling as evidenced by the SENSATIONAL HEADLINES of the Soi 3 sweep, and the actual facts of what was siezed and who was arrested......was a nice show though and certainly sold a few papers!

Used to be one of my favored watering holes until that scum started to show up & took over the place. Unavoidably got to know quite a few of them. :grin-jump

WHAT do YOU know??? ..... not much at all it seems. :chogdee

I've been in and around the area since the late 70s. It has always been a riskier area with a much different vibe than the other side of across Sukhumvit. Those of us that worked int he Middle East liked to go there occasionally because of that. Back then the disco in the basement of the Grace Hotel was a much livelier place than Angels/Nana's or most other places in Bangkok. Even today it makes for a change of pace to the rest of the Sukhumvit area which like Pattaya is in danger of becoming more of a Disneyland/Las Vegas sort of place with families wandering around. Nothing inherently wrong with that but something is lost when it happens.

Since the 70s and the oil/construction boom in the Middle East, i has always been "the Arab' area. Only relatively recently have Africans begun to share the scene with the Arabs. If that sort of change frightens you then stay away from Pattaya because it will soon if not already be dominated by Indians and others that won't be looking very European to you.

No one is defending scammers but even an idiot should be able to reason that not all Africans are scammers and not all of the scammers are Liberians.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
I've been in and around the area since the late 70s. It has always been a riskier area with a much different vibe than the other side of across Sukhumvit. Those of us that worked int he Middle East liked to go there occasionally because of that. Back then the disco in the basement of the Grace Hotel was a much livelier place than Angels/Nana's or most other places in Bangkok. Even today it makes for a change of pace to the rest of the Sukhumvit area which like Pattaya is in danger of becoming more of a Disneyland/Las Vegas sort of place with families wandering around. Nothing inherently wrong with that but something is lost when it happens.

Since the 70s and the oil/construction boom in the Middle East, i has always been "the Arab' area. Only relatively recently have Africans begun to share the scene with the Arabs. If that sort of change frightens you then stay away from Pattaya because it will soon if not already be dominated by Indians and others that won't be looking very European to you.

No one is defending scammers but even an idiot should be able to reason that not all Africans are scammers and not all of the scammers are Liberians.

Agree with you, got personally nothing against Africans (don't like Arabs too much) & not suggesting they are all crooks & scammers. But that particular bunch hanging out in Soi 5 at the bar next to Foodland are BAD NEWS!

Must have come to BKK very much about the same time as you did. Lived from early 1979 to 82 in Sukhumvit. Grace & Therme Coffeshops where the places to go. :chogdee Nana Plaza didn't exist, think there was just one Bar called "Lucky Luke"run by an Austrian chap. Great times !! :D