Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 504 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Those flying from UK might have seen this today......

* Strike could close London's Heathrow and Stansted airports

* Union to decide on Aug. 16 dates for any walk outs

(Adds quotes, reaction, background)

By Kylie MacLellan

LONDON, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Ground staff at British airport operator BAA have voted to strike in a dispute over pay, the union Unite said, a move which could shut many of the country's busiest airports.

Unite said on Thursday its members at BAA, owned by Spanish group Ferrovial (FER1.MC), had voted three-to-one in favour of industrial action.

The union called on the company to reopen negotiations on its pay dispute. BAA said the union had only gained weak backing for a strike after just half its members took part in the vote.

Unite said its officials would meet on Aug. 16 to decide dates for any walk outs. The union has to give seven days notice of any action.

"For the past four months BAA has refused to even meet with us," said Unite official Brendan Gold.

"BAA is doing passengers a great disservice by allowing this dispute to get to this stage. We are therefore calling on BAA to return to the negotiating table with a fair offer."

BAA said the vote would add to uncertainty for passengers, already hit this year by strikes by airline flight attendants and weather-related disruption.

British Airways (BAY.L), BAA's largest customer, remains in dispute with Unite over changes to cabin crew pay and conditions, which has resulted in 22 days of strike so far, with no resolution in sight.

The spread of ash from an erupting volcano in Iceland grounded much of Europe's air traffic for nearly a week in April on fears over its effect on jet engines.

"We hope that the union will engage with us quickly to conclude an agreement," a BAA spokesman said.

"Fewer than half of those people eligible to vote have done so and we do not believe this result provides a clear mandate for strike action," he added.

Unite balloted more than 6,000 BAA employees, including the security guards, firemen and engineers essential in keeping an airport running.

The union said 3,054 of those balloted had taken part in the vote, with 2,263 voting in favour and 791 against.

Regulations require minimum levels of staffing for airport fire stations and security gates, meaning BAA airports, which include London's Heathrow and Stansted, risk being closed by strike action.

BAA also operates Southampton, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh airports. (Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Simon Jessop)

You forgot to tell us why it's Obama's fault.

Thought an intelligent Democrat like yourself could have figured it out on his own. :behead

BTW,good one BD.

Edited by LTGTR

I have it on good authority from Cheshire Tom that BA will not be rescheduling..... :rolleyes: :thumbup :eyecrazy

I have it on good authority from Cheshire Tom that BA will not be rescheduling..... :thumbup :rotflmao :rotflmao

Unless Judy trashes their aircraft. Again. :unsure:

Anyway, if you DO get it from me, rest assured it's on good authority. :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom

BAA meets unions, hopes to avoid U.K. airport shutdown

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- BAA management is meeting with union leaders on Monday to try and avert a strike at six major U.K. airports that would disrupt the plans of millions of travelers at the height of the holiday season.

BAA, a unit of Spanish infrastructure giant Grupo Ferrovial /quotes/comstock/06x!cfer (ES:FER 6.38, +0.23, +3.70%) , said in a statement on Monday that less than half of the staff eligible to vote in the strike ballot had done so, giving the Unite union "no clear mandate" for industrial action.

U.K. travelers have endured their fair share of disruption so far this year. In April, an ash cloud resulting from a volcanic eruption in Iceland shut nearly all European air space for more than a week. In addition, operations at British Airways /quotes/comstock/23s!a:bay (UK:BAY 216.90, +1.30, +0.60%) , the country's largest flag carrier, have been disrupted by repeated strikes by flight attendants this spring because of a dispute over pay and work conditions.

A strike by BAA ground staff as the holiday season draws to a close and millions of travelers make their way home would further damage the already precarious financial situation of many airlines, including loss-making British Airways.

The strike by security staff, engineers and firefighters could start as soon as next Monday, which is a bank holiday weekend in the U.K. The action would affect London's Heathrow and Stansted airports but also Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports.

BAA said Monday it believes its offer of a conditional 1.5% pay increase is "fair and reasonable" during a "very difficult economic climate" for the aviation industry.

Unite argues that staff accepted a pay freeze last year to help the company weather the tough operating environment in civil aviation caused by the global economic downturn and said that in that context BAA's latest offer is "simply confrontational."

Unite also stressed that BAA reported record passenger numbers at Heathrow in July.

Ferrovial shares gained 0.7% in morning trading in Madrid

What % of these blood sucking wankers are Pakkis, Indians, Muslims etc, good old England HUH, Government HA/.

Tried playing 'Spot the White man' amongst LHR staff lately

Tried playing 'Spot the White man' amongst LHR staff lately

Hi,

Well Southall and Hounslow are very Asian and thats where most the staff come from.

Hi,

Well Southall and Hounslow are very Asian and thats where most the staff come from.

Chicken/ egg.
I would have thought that any wage increase is a result in the current recession.
Yes, it resulted in higher inflation. :P
Chicken/ egg.

Onion Bhaji and papadom

Chicken vindaloo and the shits.
I would have thought that any wage increase is a result in the current recession.

True, i have been sweating on this strike, i fly to Mallorca this friday and return on monday 23rd, that could have been

the first day of the strike.

I read the other day that the union initially asked for more than 10% wage rise, set their sights high and haggle for a slightly lower increase i guess ( or taking the piss)

Chicken vindaloo and the shits.

Which came first though? Could have had the shits the morning before the Ruby and then the morning after the Ruby or before and after the Ruby!!!

I'll leave it for you to decide which came first...

:allright

I read the other day that the union initially asked for more than 10% wage rise, set their sights high and haggle for a slightly lower increase i guess ( or taking the piss)

It's unions like that , that give unions a bad name. Many are taking pay cuts and pay freezes and they try to hold the public to ransom and ask 10%!!