Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lose lose at the moment……..Industry is scared of Labour getting it's hands on the country's credit cards and the Conservatives holding a referendum that walks us out of Europe. This quarter's output w

I think someone posted this before but if you are changing money in the airport Kasikorn in the basement (next to the skytrain entrance) is the best rate, all other booths offered 43.41 today yet Kasi

Looks like the £ to THB is back down to the late 46's. Odd because the sterling has been strong lately. Anyone know what and where the best rates are in town at the moment?.   woot! my 1000th post.

Posted Images

Using my Halifax Clarity (no ATM or cash advance charges) credit card at Citibank (no 150 Baht surcharge) in BKK on Thursday 25 April I got 44.27 to the Pound.

Guess I'd get the same rate at a bank in Pattaya or slightly less at an ATM factoring in the 150 charge.

Using my Halifax Clarity (no ATM or cash advance charges) credit card at Citibank (no 150 Baht surcharge) in BKK on Thursday 25 April I got 44.27 to the Pound.

Guess I'd get the same rate at a bank in Pattaya or slightly less at an ATM factoring in the 150 charge.

I dont want to thread fuck but this sounds a good deal. Does it work out cheaper than taking cash and exchanging a wad at one of those booths? Not sure I really understand the offer.

I dont want to thread fuck but this sounds a good deal. Does it work out cheaper than taking cash and exchanging a wad at one of those booths? Not sure I really understand the offer.

There's a posted rate for cash, travelers checks, and so on. It changes every day or more frequently.

A Good link to Bank ex rates.If changing cash TT exchange (Yellow booths) and various other Cash ex rate booths usually offer higher rates YMMV.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

If in Bangkok

http://www.superrich1965.com/

If you're staying near Nana (Soi 4) area (Sukhumvit Road) This exchange is close by and good rates for changing cash

http://www.vasuexchange.com/

I gave up on cash for foreign travel many years back - too risky for me. Check out the cash vs. credit cards story (#66) on:

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59687-cash-rates-airports-v-pattaya/page-3?hl=clarity&do=findComment&comment=991103

for a nuts and bolts explanation.

I use the Halifax Clarity card all over the world and, whilst I have never had a problem to date (i.e. a card eaten by the ATM), I have a couple of back-up cards just in case. Santander Zero also has no cash advance fees, but has a slightly higher interest rate.

If using an ATM (other than Citibank, AEON or HSBC) to avoid the 150 baht charge, go into the bank with your credit card and passport. I usually ask if I can just bring a photocopy of my passport next time. If you are drawing 20,000 baht you may think it worthwhile just to pay the 150 for convenience of using an ATM.

Also, always remember to ask to pay (with your credit card) in the local curreny not in GB Pounds, for cash, hotels, purchases, etc - you will get a better exchange rate.

Another thing!

There was a story in the Bangkok post a couple of days back about the Baht finally ending its positive run on the US $. The $ had a slight gain over the Baht for the first time in many months - or is it years?

Let's pray that the GB Pound follows suit.

I can't understand why Britain has effectively printed another 375 billion pounds, when the pound was already weak. Why didn't Britain print a few billion Thai Baht? I would have happily shipped a good few over to Pattaya on their behalf for distribution to bar owners, farm girls, dodgy watch salesmen, etc.

• Upvote 1

I realise that every country has its own rules, costs and methods but I was supprised by the following. Last time in Pattaya I opened a bank account and it worked well. I had bought a reasonable amount of my own currency with me and put this all in the account. Providing that I used the same banks ATM there was no 150 baht cost per withdrawal.

When I got home I did some homework with my bank and find that it is very cost effective to simply transfer money into that account direct from my home account. I have a fixed one off charge and the money that I transfer is at that days exchange rate and there is only the one transfer fee and no cost for changing into Thai baht. Add to this the fact that you are not taking money in your pockets and its a great system.

To summarise. Yes there is a one off cost to open an account. Yes there is an annual fee and yes there is a charge to remit funds but all of these beat carting wads of cash or paying fees to exchange money into baht at home before I travel and still carry wads of cash. I just wish I had done it years ago as it also gives me the ability to carry my ATM card with me in case of emergencies.

I think that's been pretty well explained in multiple topics on the subject, teelack.

I'm surprised it came as such a revelation to you so late.

I move money from the US for a $25 fee, get the best exchange rate for the day, and use my ATM without fees all the time. You can also use the ATMs of other banks without fees for, I believe, 4 times a month, with no fees.

I think that's been pretty well explained in multiple topics on the subject, teelack.

I'm surprised it came as such a revelation to you so late.

I move money from the US for a $25 fee, get the best exchange rate for the day, and use my ATM without fees all the time. You can also use the ATMs of other banks without fees for, I believe, 4 times a month, with no fees.

I appreciate that there are hundreds of posts on opening an account and the actual number of posts and mass of information actually made getting into this subject more difficult but I felt that a summary was worth while. As a matter of interest my transfer fee is approx $US 15 equivalent.

I appreciate that there are hundreds of posts on opening an account and the actual number of posts and mass of information actually made getting into this subject more difficult but I felt that a summary was worth while. As a matter of interest my transfer fee is approx $US 15 equivalent.

I think I have advised opening an account and transferring money into it at least 2 dozen times on this board.

My transfer fee is £17......... bugger.

And 500 baht at this end...bugger.

What I do like is taking out 10900 baht. 15900 or just 900, so I have some change. Where does it all go?

I was surprised to see that the airport exchange booths only quoted the lowest (1-2 USD) rates.

Not sure what they offered for larger denominations.

So bring 1000 $1 bills to change next trip. :D

I ONLY use the airport to get enough baht to cover the taxi into town or to the bus station. Then I use my no fee DEBIT card to get cash and my no transaction fee credit card to pay for goods and services.

Works for me!

I ONLY use the airport to get enough baht to cover the taxi into town or to the bus station. Then I use my no fee DEBIT card to get cash and my no transaction fee credit card to pay for goods and services.

Works for me!

Which debit card avoids the 150 baht Thai charge?

I gave up on cash for foreign travel many years back - too risky for me. Check out the cash vs. credit cards story (#66) on:

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59687-cash-rates-airports-v-pattaya/page-3?hl=clarity&do=findComment&comment=991103

for a nuts and bolts explanation.

I use the Halifax Clarity card all over the world and, whilst I have never had a problem to date (i.e. a card eaten by the ATM), I have a couple of back-up cards just in case. Santander Zero also has no cash advance fees, but has a slightly higher interest rate.

If using an ATM (other than Citibank, AEON or HSBC) to avoid the 150 baht charge, go into the bank with your credit card and passport. I usually ask if I can just bring a photocopy of my passport next time. If you are drawing 20,000 baht you may think it worthwhile just to pay the 150 for convenience of using an ATM.

Also, always remember to ask to pay (with your credit card) in the local curreny not in GB Pounds, for cash, hotels, purchases, etc - you will get a better exchange rate.

DrPat.

Thank you for the explanation above and the post No. 66. Very interesting. I too am not keen on carrying big wads of cash through London and down into Patts and have just applied on line for the Clarity Card. It sounds a good deal. I will def go into the bank to cash in to further avoid the 150 fee. Thanks for explaining.

Rasc

DrPat.

Thank you for the explanation above and the post No. 66. Very interesting. I too am not keen on carrying big wads of cash through London and down into Patts and have just applied on line for the Clarity Card. It sounds a good deal. I will def go into the bank to cash in to further avoid the 150 fee. Thanks for explaining.

Rasc

No problem.

To me it's the only way, but don't forget the back-up cards.

PS I've just had a good night out in Pattaya, but I'm not so think as you drunk I am.

I've been using the Halifax Clarity card for the last couple of years, ever since the Nationwide Flex became useless. I would highly reccomend it, the only thing is if you are here for any length of time, to make sure you repay it as soon as possible to avoid interest charges, those are the only fees you have to pay. In every other way, it's as good as the old Nationwide Flex card was.

Just a quick update on the exchange rate using the Halifax Clarity. The rate improved slightly to 44.44 / £ on 26/04 from 44.27 on 25/04.

Sadly, looking at the general rate, I'm guessing it was a short lived improvement.

I too am an ex Nationwide Flex debit card user, Rico. Great minds, eh?

Great minds indeed, as soon as the Nationwide Flex went tits up, I went on the lookout for a new one. Just out of interest, on the google F/X bar, its got the pound at 45.53 baht today (30th April), what is it in Thailand at the moment.

I haven't taken a lot of notice, but I think the exchange places are quoting 44 point something (44.5 ish?) - one place a couple of days back was 45 even, but I'm not sure if there were commission or charges involved. I'll check again when I'm sober - could take some considerable time.

I haven't taken a lot of notice, but I think the exchange places are quoting 44 point something (44.5 ish?) - one place a couple of days back was 45 even, but I'm not sure if there were commission or charges involved. I'll check again when I'm sober - could take some considerable time.

You're getting over 45 THB/GBP at both Kaskorn and Bangkok Banks for TCs today.