Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

OK, but:

1) What was the rate on 25 & 26 April?

2) What is the commission on TCs?

3) Who won the Grand National in 1967?

Edited by DrPat
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lose lose at the moment……..Industry is scared of Labour getting it's hands on the country's credit cards and the Conservatives holding a referendum that walks us out of Europe. This quarter's output w

I think someone posted this before but if you are changing money in the airport Kasikorn in the basement (next to the skytrain entrance) is the best rate, all other booths offered 43.41 today yet Kasi

Looks like the £ to THB is back down to the late 46's. Odd because the sterling has been strong lately. Anyone know what and where the best rates are in town at the moment?.   woot! my 1000th post.

Posted Images

I think someone posted this before but if you are changing money in the airport Kasikorn in the basement (next to the skytrain entrance) is the best rate, all other booths offered 43.41 today yet Kasikorn was 44.71' worth the trip in the elevator (would have said lift but it would confuse out atlantic cousins)

• Upvote 2

The rate at the exchange booths today in Pattaya was around 45.45 to 45.7 for cash £s, apparently with no commission.

This is exactly as I predicted a few days back - except I said the rate would get worse not better.

If I use my Halifax Clarity at the weekend, I'll post the rate I get when it gets to my account. There's something to look forward to!

Edited by DrPat

This is exactly as I predicted a few days back - except I said the rate would get worse not better.

:lol:

Give me a break - I was only 180° out! If that was the government, 'only 180° out' would be a good result.

PS Good to talk to you tonight.

Give me a break - I was only 180° out! If that was the government, 'only 180° out' would be a good result.

PS Good to talk to you tonight.

Well, you did make a prediction that it would move.

Sorry we didn't have more time to chat.

The rate at the exchange booths today in Pattaya was around 45.45 to 45.7 for cash £s, apparently with no commission.

If I use my Halifax Clarity at the weekend, I'll post the rate I get when it gets to my account. There's something to look forward to!

Thanks Doc, that started my day with a chuckle. I bet they dont call you House when it comes to diagnostics!

I'm wondering which way its going to go from here. I get there Friday and would normally just change all my TCs on day 1, but this time I just don't know if that's the right choice. :clueless

if ya cash all yer cheques on day one then where is the security that they offer?

Might as well bring cash.

Thanks Doc, that started my day with a chuckle. I bet they dont call you House when it comes to diagnostics!

Strange you should mention it! You are quite right, they don't call me 'House', but I often hear myself referred to by a slang word meaning the same thing.

'Gaff'.

Used my Nationwide FlexAccount debit card to get cash yesterday and got a rate of 46.45.

After the 2% and £1 charge ... worked out at 45.43.

:chogdee

Spud

No 150 baht Thai fixed charge?

if ya cash all yer cheques on day one then where is the security that they offer?

Might as well bring cash.

Cash, then pay into my Kasikorn account. As it happens, I've got the "wait and see" route and only changed some.

No .... did it at the counter in bank.

Spud

Which bank? 46.45 is a good rate at the moment - around 1 Baht more than what was on offer at Kasikorn and Bangkok Banks.

No .... did it at the counter in bank.

Spud

Yes, always forget that option.

Which bank? 46.45 is a good rate at the moment - around 1 Baht more than what was on offer at Kasikorn and Bangkok Banks.

That was with Kasikorn ... but the rate is set by VISA in UK.

It seemed too good to be true ... and it was!

It takes a few days to get posted to account, and I had assumed that my available balance would have also had the charges deducted .... but now it has been posted .... I can see that it hadn't.

So the actual rate I got was 45.51 .... which calculates to 44.52 after charges .... which is around what I thought it was going to be!

Still better than the 43.70 that I got when I changed the last of my cash about 12 days ago. I thought at the time that there was no way it was going to go above 44 ...... but Sod's Law .....!

Spud

45.43 today at kasikorn

I have heard that WSA money exchange on sukhumvit in bkk offers higher than standard rates if you have cash in £50 note denominations, closer to 50bht. So if you do cash and want to it might be worth checking out, i only brought £20's this time so stuck with the going rate :(. Not sure if this applies to all currencies.

45.43 today at kasikorn

I have heard that WSA money exchange on sukhumvit in bkk offers higher than standard rates if you have cash in £50 note denominations, closer to 50bht. So if you do cash and want to it might be worth checking out, i only brought £20's this time so stuck with the going rate :(. Not sure if this applies to all currencies.

Never heard of WSA Money exchange but i very much doubt it will give you close to 50 Baht to the £1.It would be financial suicide for them when the Live Trade rate for cash is only 46.06, meaning they would be on a massive loser.Whoever you heard this from i suggest is misinforming you. Vasu and Super Rich are two of the best cash exchanges in Bangkok from my previous experience.

Never heard of WSA Money exchange but i very much doubt it will give you close to 50 Baht to the £1.

Probably means Vasu .... as you say, you're not going to be getting anything near 50 THB/GBP.

As threatened in #31, I used my Halifax Clarity credit card to get cash from ATMs in BKK at the weekend. I got a rate of 45.82/£ on 5 May and 45.73/£ on 6 May.

On the 5th I used Citibank on the corner of Sukhumvit and Asok, and on the 6th I used Aeon, located on the lower ground floor of the Terminal 21 shopping mall on Sukhumvit. Neither of these banks have the 150 Baht ATM charge.

I applied for a Halifax Clarity card before ... but got rejected ... might try again when I get home.

There are no charges .... but you get charged interest for cash advances until they are paid off ... don't you?

Spud

Absolutely correct. Most credit cards have a cash advance fee and a loading for foreign currency – Halifax Clarity has neither. The only charge, as you say, is the interest payable from the time of the withdrawal until it is paid off. The interest rate I pay is 12% per annum – or about 1% per month. This means over a fortnight you will pay about 11p per 1,000 baht withdrawn – that’s about £4.40 for 40,000 baht.

You can easily reduce this by setting timed payments to your account or use internet banking to pay off the amounts withdrawn. The maximum daily withdrawal is £500, (currently) about 22,500 baht.

Also note that the Clarity card pays you £5 per month if you spend £300 or more on purchases, hotels, etc.

I find it a very convenient and cost effective way of raising cash, but it’s best to have a back-up card, or some other way of getting money, in the unlikely event that you have a problem.

To avoid the 150 baht ATM fee, use Citibank or Aeon machines (easier in BKK than Pattaya), or go into a bank with your card and passport. Actually paying the 150 on a 20,000 advance only represents a 0.75% charge – currently £3.33 for a £444 advance.