Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Medical and police checks are local vs. where you live for starters.

Neither medical nor police checks are required to do a conversion from a Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt Stamp to an Non-Imm O-Type Visa.

What you do need is: (from the Pattaya Expat site and refers to Jomtien Immigration Office, updated in June 2013) (it's a good idea to have spare copies of everything):

1. Application Form

a. If you entered Thailand as Visa Exempt (30 day permitted stay) - TM.87 Application for Visa (click for blank Word Copy OR pdf Copy)

b. If you entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa (60 day permitted stay) – TM.86 Application for Change in Visa (click for blank Word Copy OR pdf Copy)

2. One photograph – 4cm x 6 cm (if needed there is a photo/copy shop next door to the Chonburi Immigration office that opens at 8am – Immigration opens at 8:30am)

3. Application fee – 2,000 Baht

4. Passport (original)

5. Photocopy of passport pages

a. Identity page(s) showing picture, name, and date issued, etc.

b. If applicable, Page showing the Tourist Visa and if also applicable, yourextension for another 30 days

c. Page showing the latest entry stamp into Thailand

6. Photocopy of Departure Card, TM.6 (this arrival/departure card was completed at time of entry into Thailand – the departure portion should have been stapled in your passport)

7. Documentation of Meeting Financial Requirements

a. If using 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank or a combination of monthly income and money on deposit in a Thai bank:

i. Original Letter from your Thai Bank certifying your account and showing your balance (the letter should be dated within the last 7 days – most obtain the day before applying).

ii. Photocopy of your bank passbook Identity page showing name and account number and page(s) showing funds on deposit – Chonburi

Immigration usually asks for at least 3 months of activity or all activity if account has not been open that long.

NOTE: To apply for an Extension of stay when using the total 800,000+ Baht on deposit in a Thai bank, the funds must have been on deposit at least two months before applying for an extension. If it has not been on deposit the prescribed period when applying for the Non-Immigrant “O” Visa, Chonburi Immigration usually issues the visa, which is good for a 90 day stay and tell you to come back and apply for the extension after the money has been on deposit for the required time.

b. IF you are using monthly income in total (equal to at least 65,000 Baht per month or in part (monthly income x 12 months plus money on deposit in Thai bank is equal to at least 800,000 Baht) to meet the financial requirements, an original “Embassy Letter” from your country’s embassy attesting to your monthly income. The letter should not be more than 6 months old.

(Thai Immigration will use the exchange rate in effect on the date of application to convert the monthly income into Baht – so it is a good idea to have a “cushion”).

NOTE: When using a combination of monthly income and money on deposit, there is no requirement for the money to have been on deposit a specified period of time. Consequently, when the Non-Immigrant “O” Visa is issued, you will proceed to step 2 – applying for the extension of stay.

8. Evidence of your current address – if you rent, a photocopy of lease/rental agreement – if you own a condo, a photo copy of your house book or other evidence of ownership (this item may or may not be requested as part of the process, so we have included it in the checklist and suggest you have copies available if you are asked for it). Make two copies as you may need to also include with your application for extension.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent all day there yesterday, wanting to kill 2 birds with one stone! Had my 90 day report to do, and wanted a Re-entry permit. As a good boy I always have my completed forms and copies all ready

Below is the answers to getting a retirement Visa in Pattaya, this is from a friend who worked at a Visa company before she changed jobs.   She says go direct to the immigration and no need to use a

Please MM... Not you. You are here for a long time and you are very often on the Internet, so you should know...   First there is no "retirement visa". What you get is a "1-year Extension for reaso

CT, that 90 delay due to funds not in a Thai bank for the full period might be what Idefix is on about.

I had the funds on account for much longer than 3 months so there was no need to go back and get my 1 year extended from 3 months.

Wings, it's totally simple and can be done exactly as CheshireTom quoted.

CT, that 90 delay due to funds not in a Thai bank for the full period might be what Idefix is on about.

I had the funds on account for much longer than 3 months so there was no need to go back and get my 1 year extended from 3 months.

OK. Thanks guys, I got it now and all should be good.

I have Just 1 Question:

I have been living in a Hotel for the last 10 years, the same one. Will this be a problem with the Visa.?

MM,

I believe that at Jomtien you can do the conversion and extension on the same day, so that would make sense. It's a little bit stressful dealing with Immigration first time round, but not so much that you need to employ an agent to do it for you. That's just a waste of money, IMHO.

OK. Thanks guys, I got it now and all should be good.

I have Just 1 Question:

I have been living in a Hotel for the last 10 years, the same one. Will this be a problem with the Visa.?

You need a lease/rental agreement. Get the hotel to knock one out for you (and make copies) - if need be, pre-printed templates are available at most decent stationers.

Edited by CheshireTom

My extensions cost 1,900 baht per year. I have never paid any money under the table. If you anticipate going in and out of the country several times a year, the multi-entry would be best for you. I seldom go out and when I do, it is never more than twice a year. I pay 1,000 baht for each re-entry permit.

You need a lease/rental agreement. Get the hotel to knock one out for you (and make copies) - if need be, pre-printed templates are available at most decent stationers.

I do have a lease agreement valid till 2016 but i don't live there (Long story about tax) I don't think i should use that.?

I can get the owner of the Hotel to sort something out as i am a long term renter and i do know the owner and staff very well. My mail even goes there, so no problems there i think

My extensions cost 1,900 baht per year. I have never paid any money under the table. If you anticipate going in and out of the country several times a year, the multi-entry would be best for you. I seldom go out and when I do, it is never more than twice a year. I pay 1,000 baht for each re-entry permit.

Yes, the multi-entry is what i will need as i am going to be in and out of Thailand as much as i am with the BG's.

When I got my "retirement visa", I was in a long stay hotel. No problem...just copied the lease agreement.

Multi entry added on top of the visa is the way to go if you're going to be in and out of Thailand. Last I checked, it was 3800 baht.

It is slightly off topic what how does being married effects the retirement visa, read this somewhere:

"What is a marriage visa? This visa is commonly known as a marriage visa due to the applicant being married to a Thai national.

A marriage visa is actually an extension of an original non-immigrant visa O or B type visa either a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

The marriage visa allows you to reside in the kingdom of Thailand for a period of one year starting from the date you entered Thailand on your non-immigrant visa so if you are wishing to reside in Thailand for retirement purposes or long stay this visa is perfect for you.

The process of applying for a marriage visa starts with you obtaining a non-immigrant visa from a Thailand embassy or consulate outside of Thailand preferably from your home country."

I do have the non-immigrant visa already.

I do have a lease agreement valid till 2016 but i don't live there (Long story about tax) I don't think i should use that.?

I can get the owner of the Hotel to sort something out as i am a long term renter and i do know the owner and staff very well. My mail even goes there, so no problems there i think

No problems at all. There is no need to fudge anything whatsoever.

It is slightly off topic what how does being married effects the retirement visa, read this somewhere:

"What is a marriage visa? This visa is commonly known as a marriage visa due to the applicant being married to a Thai national.

A marriage visa is actually an extension of an original non-immigrant visa O or B type visa either a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

The marriage visa allows you to reside in the kingdom of Thailand for a period of one year starting from the date you entered Thailand on your non-immigrant visa so if you are wishing to reside in Thailand for retirement purposes or long stay this visa is perfect for you.

The process of applying for a marriage visa starts with you obtaining a non-immigrant visa from a Thailand embassy or consulate outside of Thailand preferably from your home country."

I do have the non-immigrant visa already.

You can work on a marriage visa - but not, generally speaking, on a retirement visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/retirement-non-imm-oa-visa.html

idefix, calling it a "retirement visa" rather than quibbling over terms is clear to most. You're just showing off, IMHO. :P

What I related was my experience and information I also found on the internet. I've been posting with my mobile, and unfortunately "paste" is not working, so I can't cite a reference now.

Well, I got paste to work, but only at the top of the post. That's one of many sources that confirm what I am saying.

I think it is important to get the names and terms correct, otherwise confusion arises.

An example being the '30 day stamp' one gets on arrival, which many incorrectly term as a 'tourist visa'.

If someone is giving advice and using the wrong terminology, I would say be wary of that advice.

Hey Guys,

Well, I hope i didn't start a shit fight here about this but i am taking in all the information from you all and thanks.

Ok, Who has a Retirement visa with the Multi-entry for 1 year (Call it what we want but the 1 year multi stay visa/permit) Could that person or people tell me if you did this in Pattaya or at home.? Also, what did you need do have to get this.?

What I want to do is:

I want to be able to stay in Pataya/Thailand for the whole 1 year, and if needed, travel out to other countrys as i want, maybe 6 times in that 1 year.

Thanks,

Wings

I have a retirement extension, and when I renew it each year, I immediately put a multiple exit/re-entry permit in there too.

I obtain the extension in Thailand.

If you are over 50...get a Non-Imm O visa in your home country..

Get a multiple if you can... that will allow you over a years stay, but oblige you to exit the country every 90 days.

Apply for a retirement extension in Thailand...Put some money in the bank when you get here and look for a place to stay

If you only get a single entry, you have 90 days to sort things out.

A retirement visa obtained in the USA (Non-Imm O-A visa) is an alternative, but more effort to obtain, requiring a police report. These are good in that if you exit Thailand within it's validity, and you get another 1 years permission on return. (presuming visa still has not expired then too).

Edited by jacko

I think it is important to get the names and terms correct, otherwise confusion arises.

An example being the '30 day stamp' one gets on arrival, which many incorrectly term as a 'tourist visa'.

If someone is giving advice and using the wrong terminology, I would say be wary of that advice.

Nobody said anything to confuse 30 day stamp with tourist visa in this thread that I recall.

Hey Guys,

Well, I hope i didn't start a shit fight here about this but i am taking in all the information from you all and thanks.

Ok, Who has a Retirement visa with the Multi-entry for 1 year (Call it what we want but the 1 year multi stay visa/permit) Could that person or people tell me if you did this in Pattaya or at home.? Also, what did you need do have to get this.?

What I want to do is:

I want to be able to stay in Pataya/Thailand for the whole 1 year, and if needed, travel out to other countrys as i want, maybe 6 times in that 1 year.

Thanks,

Wings

Living 6 months in Tailand, six months a year in Europe

I do have a Retirement visa with the Multi-entry for 1 year.

From Thai consulate in Germany.

I think requirements are worldwide the same.

I needed

1.picture

2.proof of income

3.Just having monthly pension of 50 k Baht, I added an account status worth 800 k Baht.

4. passport

5. visa applicatgion

6. 140 Euro cash

All sent by registered mail to Consulate in Germany.

Got the passport incl. Visa back 4 days later.

Nobody said anything to confuse 30 day stamp with tourist visa in this thread that I recall.

Do you understand what 'an example' implies ???

I most certainly have seen such confusion in other threads,

• 8 months later...

Gents,

If a married British couple wish to retire to Thailand, is it 2 separate Visas, so double costs there, and still 800k Tbt in Thai bank for each?

I believe this has recently changed..... this year, and now they have to demonstrate income or deposit as 2 separate persons.

IE they can no longer both make use of a joint account with 800k in it.

More here.

Below is the answers to getting a retirement Visa in Pattaya, this is from a friend who worked at a Visa company before she changed jobs.

She says go direct to the immigration and no need to use a Visa company.

No..not a problem for that!

But you need to take your passport, book bank (have 800,000 THB more than 3 months) so you already have, letter from the bank for guarantee, statement from Australia (how much your salary or pension come in for a month) take original and copy of all. But now I don't know how much for fee and then not forget to get multiple re-entry coz if you not make it when you go out Thailand your retirement visa will finish but if you think you not go out you can do it for single before you go out Thailand. And then I don't know how much you need to pay for fee. Do it by your self coz you can know how to do it...not hard!!

U need to get retirement visa...not hard to do...if you dont understand you can go to immigration and get information from there about the document...if you go there they are not charge you coz you already have money in the bank more than 800, 000 THB..and then you just need to notify every 90 days it's easy not need to go out thai land anymore!

When I got my RV at the Jomtiem immigration, the lady captain in the back of the room made decisions based on her preferences.

Although a permanent address isn't officially required she told me she "prefers to see at least a six month lease agreement before she grants a retirement visa.

Her bat, her glove, her game.

I did manage to circumvent her requirements by arranging a letter from my hotel manager as I needed to leave TH. for a spell.

• 1 month later...

For those who have applied for a retirement visa recently and remember:

On the back of both the TM-87 and TM-7 forms, there is a line "Address in Thailand". I am assuming this is the applicant's address.

Below that is the line "This application is written by". If an agent is not used then I suppose the applicant's name goes here?

Below that are entries for an address, and I am guessing these can be left blank because they are intended for the agent's address?

FInally there is another signature line for the "writer" which can also be left blank because it is for the agent?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on the 800K. If there is more than 800K and I've been making withdrawals from the account for living expenses, is that still okay if there is still at least 800K that arrived at least 90 days prior to applying for the retirement extension? Thanks.